HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Connecticut Whale/Greenville Road Warriors Thread (AHL, ECHL) Part II

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2013, 03:47 PM
Dagoon44

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Like I said when we drafted them if they both made it NY would be insanely tuff on the back end for 10 yrs and no one would be near Hank. I nic named him Kane to the Undertaker this could be fun

Old
02-11-2013, 04:49 PM
Callahan Auto
Rational Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Like I said when we drafted them if they both made it NY would be insanely tuff on the back end for 10 yrs and no one would be near Hank. I nic named him Kane to the Undertaker this could be fun
The Bash Brothers of Destruction

Old
02-11-2013, 05:30 PM
bmoak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwayry View Post
How did columbus draft Delisle in the 4th round? He has not been good.
He leads the ECHL in plus/minus.

Old
02-11-2013, 06:19 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Let's not get crazy out here: Noreau is scoring at the same pace as Purinton at the same age. Their fighting ability is similar, though Noreau is a slightly better skater. I have him projected as our future #7 defenseman, and I think that would be a good outcome for a 5th rounder. If we can use him for 4-6 years as a tough defenseman who plays ~40 games a year as a slightly improved version of Purinton (in his prime), I will be happy.

This kid might be better off trying to learn to play forward to become an every day goon. It's hard to be a goon as a defenseman because there are only 6 of them.

Old
02-11-2013, 07:13 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

I was pretty happy about Noreau when they drafted him. Redlines report that year had both McIlrath and Noreau in the top 5 tough guys of their respective draft class. Woodlief actually calls it "The society of plastic surgeons award" I believe Woodlief was HIV on Noreau as not only a fighter but a guy that could make it as a physical defenseman someday.

Old
02-11-2013, 08:27 PM
OleOleOleOleBureBure

McIlrath

can someone update on his play. more interested in his defensive play.

Old
02-11-2013, 09:05 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleOleOleOleBureBure View Post
Go back a page or so.

Old
02-11-2013, 09:46 PM
Mikos87

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleOleOleOleBureBure View Post
If he can handle kill penalities with aplomb down there, then I think he's a lot closer to the NHL than people think. Concerns are with his decision making, good news is that he's a smart kid, and just needs some more on the job experience in AHL.

Athletically the dude's a beast, and I personally don't think there are issues with his skating, Dylan's skated himself into trouble by making a wrong read, but he is by no means a pilon, I don't know why anyone would think that unless they're measuring him up against McDonaugh or an elite skater.

Right now I think Dylan needs to build a track record of simple, hard effective play. There is nothing fancy, or frilly about his game, I didn't see anything out of his game that brought out an ooo or aahhh out of me, it was more like "whoooo", or "oh man I hope that guy's alright".

He does what he does, a zero hesitation player, but all he needs right now is just some more on the job experience to prove that he's reliable, and that's no different than any college kid entering the professional workforce trying to build a reputation. The simpler he plays, the better his game.

Old
02-12-2013, 07:48 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Let's not get crazy out here: Noreau is scoring at the same pace as Purinton at the same age. Their fighting ability is similar, though Noreau is a slightly better skater. I have him projected as our future #7 defenseman, and I think that would be a good outcome for a 5th rounder. If we can use him for 4-6 years as a tough defenseman who plays ~40 games a year as a slightly improved version of Purinton (in his prime), I will be happy.

This kid might be better off trying to learn to play forward to become an every day goon. It's hard to be a goon as a defenseman because there are only 6 of them.
Noreau plays a very simple game but I doubt he will be an enforcer. More like Engelland in Pittsburgh if he makes it that far. Pretty good skater although that is the one area that needs work, good stick skills as far as poke-checking and is very physical outside of just dropping the gloves.

He plays a very mature game at a very young age. Nothing flashy, but positionally he is solid.

Old
02-12-2013, 10:22 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

I dont know why people say Noreau is a good skater. I know that is what the scouting report said, but they probably wasnt compared to other huge guys drafted very late. He is very slow. McIlrath can rush the puck coast to coast. He will have trouble doing that at the NHL level because of his balance, but if he fixes that, he can really move. Noreau cannot. He is smart defensively, but his skating isnt helping him be in the right position.

I would say the main reason McIlrath went at #10 and Noreau in the 5th round was the difference in skating. McIlrath is average for a small guy and great for a huge guy. Noreau is awful for a small guy and barely passable for a big guy.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:13 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
I dont know why people say Noreau is a good skater. I know that is what the scouting report said, but they probably wasnt compared to other huge guys drafted very late. He is very slow. McIlrath can rush the puck coast to coast. He will have trouble doing that at the NHL level because of his balance, but if he fixes that, he can really move. Noreau cannot. He is smart defensively, but his skating isnt helping him be in the right position.

I would say the main reason McIlrath went at #10 and Noreau in the 5th round was the difference in skating. McIlrath is average for a small guy and great for a huge guy. Noreau is awful for a small guy and barely passable for a big guy.
Because for the way he plays, his skating is fine. He plays positional defense. He has a good stick and a long reach. Players who keep the game simple and provide the intangibles Noreau bring normally find their way into the league somewhere

Old
02-12-2013, 11:53 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Zdeno Chara looks awful when he's skating....

the bar is different for big guys.

which is why Rick Nash is such a freak.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:10 PM
boyle2boyle

What do you guys think the organization's plan for McIlrath is? Has his play been solid enough to deserve a look as our 6th d-man down the stretch?

Old
02-12-2013, 12:13 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by allerotrot View Post
What do you guys think the organization's plan for McIlrath is? Has his play been solid enough to deserve a look as our 6th d-man down the stretch?
I think he stays in the AHL all season and their playoffs and comes up after that. With his injury to start the season he was a bit behind, no need to rush him.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:18 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
he if he ever becomes a Engelland i would sign up right now for that

Old
02-12-2013, 12:22 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
he if he ever becomes a Engelland i would sign up right now for that
I really hope we can do better than Deryk Engelland with a 10th overall pick. Engelland was drafted in the 6th round.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:22 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
I really hope we can do better than Deryk Engelland with a 10th overall pick. Engelland was drafted in the 6th round.
We were speaking of Noreau.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:51 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Zdeno Chara looks awful when he's skating....

the bar is different for big guys.

which is why Rick Nash is such a freak.
Boyle is also a very good skater for a huge man, yet I see people mention how bad his skating is. Skating is quite different for big men, as you say.

Old
02-12-2013, 01:16 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
We were speaking of Noreau.
Ah, I was flipping between threads and got confused.

My bad.

Engelland or McQuaid-like player would be great for someone like Noreau.

Old
02-12-2013, 01:45 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
Ah, I was flipping between threads and got confused.

My bad.

Engelland or McQuaid-like player would be great for someone like Noreau.
Exactly. Keep it simple, hard worker, difficult to play against, tough. Perfect bottom-pairing guy.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:34 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikos87 View Post
If he can handle kill penalities with aplomb down there, then I think he's a lot closer to the NHL than people think. Concerns are with his decision making, good news is that he's a smart kid, and just needs some more on the job experience in AHL.

Athletically the dude's a beast, and I personally don't think there are issues with his skating, Dylan's skated himself into trouble by making a wrong read, but he is by no means a pilon, I don't know why anyone would think that unless they're measuring him up against McDonaugh or an elite skater.

Right now I think Dylan needs to build a track record of simple, hard effective play. There is nothing fancy, or frilly about his game, I didn't see anything out of his game that brought out an ooo or aahhh out of me, it was more like "whoooo", or "oh man I hope that guy's alright".

He does what he does, a zero hesitation player, but all he needs right now is just some more on the job experience to prove that he's reliable, and that's no different than any college kid entering the professional workforce trying to build a reputation. The simpler he plays, the better his game.
Yeah, athletically he is a beast. He covers the distance really well when he moves his feets. He has great balance, unlike say someone like Girardi who is caught on the wrong foot at times and instantly finds himself behind the play. McI handles the puck naturally and is decent offensively. Like, McI is young and big and of course can't move like Stralman, but for someone his size he moves if not exceptionally well at least really well.

But he is pretty raw defensively. I think that is very evident when you compare his play in like rookie camp/Traverse to the NHL preseason. In the former, he tried to be a "top 4 D" and had a tough time. In the later he of course only wanted to survive and not be beaten 1 on 1, and he instantly looked alot better.

I don't like that he is fighting so much in the AHL, I don't want to see him getting any problems. But I think it could be very good for him if he could get to play some time in a modest top 4 role at a high level. You don't want him to sink in to a minimal 3rd pairing role instantly.

Maybe he even should have stayed another year in Juniors...

Old
02-12-2013, 04:22 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Scott Stajcer is on fire in the ECHL.

Over the last month (30 calendar days), he gave up 14 goals on 240 shots over 7 games. His SV% is an amazing .942 and his GAA is a very good 2.00.

At the same time, Nathan Lieuwen - who was supposed to be the starter - has been at 2.75 and .900, so it's not just team play that is helping Stajcer's stats.

Stajcer is now the starter because Lieuwen has been called up to the AHL. Let's hope he can keep this up. The kid is only 21 years old, and goalies don't fully develop until they are in their mid-20s. He's looking much better than when he was giving up 4.5 goals a game on average the previous month or when he was benched between Nov 7 and Christmas.

His play the last month is giving us hope that the poor start was just adjustment to the pros by a rookie.

Old
02-14-2013, 04:25 PM
Osminator

"So the Rangers are expected to remain in Hartford, with the business operation of the franchise run locally by Global Spectrum. It's unclear if the team will still be known as the Connecticut Whale, a brand created by Howard Baldwin's Whalers Sports & Entertainment."
http://www.courant.com/sports/hockey...,1359974.story

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD THE MERCIFUL, PLEASE BRING BACK THE WOLF*PACK NAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its time to reverse the horrible idea of rebranding and renaming of this team by a delusional old man, who destroyed a strong brand and name (and even its history)... F u Baldwin btw.

Last edited by Osminator: 02-14-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old
02-14-2013, 05:12 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
Baldwin came in and ruined everything. Created a knock-off Whalers brand and took away a AHL brand with a little history and pride behind it. Then he can't foot the bill and bounces out of town. No one can honestly say Howard Baldwin made a single thing better. I hope w/ a locally-based group running the business side of things it will get better. I sadly suspect they'll keep the Whale name...just because.

Old
02-14-2013, 05:20 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Seriously.... Whale... whale?! A single whale? Everyone else is Tigers, Lions, Bears, Bulls... and we are just a single whale? As in a big fat thing that can't move all that well, signifying the way the team plays?

Closed Thread