HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oscar Klefbom Thread | 10GP: 0G-3A-3PTS +7

Closed Thread

Old
02-14-2013, 12:41 PM
Oiled up*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Bieber View Post
he is the most handsome oiler hands down in history
*looks @ avi and username* AHA I KNEW IT!!!!

Old
02-14-2013, 01:28 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Looking forward to seeing him at rookie camp and main camp.

Old
02-14-2013, 01:32 PM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Who could be said to have been rushed? Also, remember that keeping kids in the minors too long sometimes results in them giving up and asking for a trade or leaving to play in Europe.
Lander and Paajarvi are the two that come to mind. May as well have left them in Sweden for another year each rather than struggling on the 4th line with minimal minutes or sending them to OKC which hasnt shown to be a great spot to develop as yet, at least not any more than leaving them in Sweden would have been.

Old
02-14-2013, 01:58 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailor Hopberle View Post
I hear what you're saying, but I'm tired of the Oilers rushing prospects and impeding their development. I'd rather follow Detroit's model.
The Detroit Model on only works if you have 20 years of one of the greatest players EVER at his position playing at an ALL-TIME Great level without suffer any serious injuries.

Why does everyone forget that Nik Lidstrom was the SOLE reason for the "Detroit" model

Old
02-14-2013, 02:12 PM
jukon
#Nailedit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leman Russ View Post
Omg we can finally get rid of Whitney/Potter!

Smid, Petry, Schultz, Schultz, Fistric, Klefbom?

I wouldn't mind running that for next year barring trades.
While he would likely start the season with Fistric, by the end of next season we would likely see a top pairing of Klefbom/J. Schultz.

Old
02-14-2013, 06:44 PM
Baggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
The Detroit Model on only works if you have 20 years of one of the greatest players EVER at his position playing at an ALL-TIME Great level without suffer any serious injuries.

Why does everyone forget that Nik Lidstrom was the SOLE reason for the "Detroit" model
Not to sidetrack the thread, but ... Stevie Y?

Lidstrom was one of the main reasons for the "Detroit model" success (as was lucking out on Datsyuk and Zetterberg), but the primary catalyst for Detroit's success was when the team brought in Scotty Bowman and Yzerman realized that winning championships with solid 2-way play was better than scoring 150 points a year.

Old
02-14-2013, 09:23 PM
Lay Z Boy GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangers View Post

Lidstrom was one of the main reasons for the "Detroit model" success (as was lucking out on Datsyuk and Zetterberg), but the primary catalyst for Detroit's success was when the team brought in Scotty Bowman and Yzerman realized that winning championships with solid 2-way play was better than scoring 150 points a year.
Lidstrom kept them afloat for about 5 years or so imo. But yea, Steve Yzerman, Hull, Fedorov, Shanahan, Chelios, so many great players contributed to that organization.

Old
02-14-2013, 09:48 PM
Njoy Oilers

Quote:
I hope they let him compete for a spot and let him earn where he will play.
They need to start doing this with upcoming picks anyways, as OKC is bare for REAL talent.

Old
02-15-2013, 12:41 AM
JSC
Registered Sniper

Quote:

True, but I think the loss that hurt the most was Lidstrom. The difference with him in and out of the lineup is night and day, even as a 40 year old. Amazing really.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:14 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:

No. Detroit was at best an average team wit 5+ years of Stevie Y leading them.

All of a sudden Lidstrom comes to NA - and the team becomes an instant contender (Fedorov was also there before, with no results).
The man instantly changed the way the team played hockey. They became a puck possession team. His defense was sublime. No one noticed it because he wasn't absolutely pasting guys along the boards or making amazing recoveries (he never needed to; always in position).

Scotty Bowman made that team a winner - but they were still dominant beforehand. They were atop the standings and winning playoff rounds.

Detroit is a shade of its old self even when an old and fading Lidstrom retires. Imagine if he'd retired in 2007?

People came, people left - but Lidstrom remained. Detroit never really stopped being a contender until Lidstrom's play fell off (2010 onwards).

Old
02-15-2013, 07:43 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailor Hopberle View Post
I hear what you're saying, but I'm tired of the Oilers rushing prospects and impeding their development. I'd rather follow Detroit's model.
It's a shame that he missed most of this season because i think he would have been close to NHL ready going into next season based on how quickly he was developing in a pro league but this was a huge missed season of development.
He needs to prove that he's fully recovered from the injury (we all know how nagging shoulder injuries can be) before he has any designs of playing in the NHL as soon as next season. It'll be interesting to see how he holds up in Training Camp, i prefer that they be very cautious with him especially because of the injury. If he earns a spot then great but i don't want him being rushed into the lineup if Tambellini continues to ignore the defensive depth. A year in the AHL won't hurt him at all, it'll get him used to playing on North American ice.

Last edited by CupofOil: 02-15-2013 at 07:53 AM.
Old
02-15-2013, 08:21 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

Quote:

Stevie Y was a great player, but Lidstrom was sheltering prospects LONG after Stevie Y was gone, look at "the next Nik Lidstrom lol" Johnathan Erikson, he would NOT have been in the minors as long if Lidstrom wasn't there. It's that simple, when you have an ALL-TIME great, it changes how you can do things.

Old
02-15-2013, 08:23 AM
Booyakasha
Nailinus Omarkupov

vCash: 1240
Quote:

also, buying talent to fill holes..Det. had a 4th line that consisted of Hull, and Robitaille,...kind of hard for any rookie to crack that line up, ready or not, it had nothing to do with "proper" player development. they didn't "rush" prospects because they were one of the big spending teams, like COL, and NYR that used money to fill holes pre-salary cap era.

Old
02-15-2013, 08:28 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyakasha View Post
also, buying talent to fill holes..Det. had a 4th line that consisted of Hull, and Robitaille,...kind of hard for any rookie to crack that line up, ready or not, it had nothing to do with "proper" player development. they didn't "rush" prospects because they were one of the big spending teams, like COL, and NYR that used money to fill holes pre-salary cap era.
, there was that too. I understand that, but Lidstrom was still constant. I mean even teams that spent had to "rush" guys, Colorado with Skoula(sp), New York with Dan Blackburn(I still feel for this guy), etc.

I think we saw it, again not to Hi-jack the thread, because I think that Klefbom as it stands Right Now is a better option at #6 or 7 next over Peckham or Potter, however, we saw it with one year of Chris ****ing Pronger, the effect of a guy at that level on a team, so imagine having a guy slightly better for 20 years WITHOUT losing him to any serious injury? It's something you can't "model" unless you find one.

Old
02-15-2013, 09:20 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
Lander and Paajarvi are the two that come to mind. May as well have left them in Sweden for another year each rather than struggling on the 4th line with minimal minutes or sending them to OKC which hasnt shown to be a great spot to develop as yet, at least not any more than leaving them in Sweden would have been.
PRV wasnt rushed at all, he came to training camp and played his way on to the team. through the camp he looked the most nhl ready out of the 3 rookies (hall, eberle). his game just didnt continue through the season.

Old
02-15-2013, 09:25 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

Quote:
Stevie Y was a great player, but Lidstrom was sheltering prospects LONG after Stevie Y was gone, look at "the next Nik Lidstrom lol" Johnathan Erikson, he would NOT have been in the minors as long if Lidstrom wasn't there. It's that simple, when you have an ALL-TIME great, it changes how you can do things.
exactly, when you have someone who eats 30+ minutes a game you can have anyone on your bottom pairing because they just dont see enough ice to impact a game negatively. also you can pair a lower end guy with an elite and they become more than servicable. look no further than MAB or anyone that played with pronger when he was here.

Old
02-15-2013, 09:27 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

also it is not like Klefbom is a green prospect. he was easily the best skater and functional hockey player at the camp he came to here. you could tell he was clearly a step better than everyone.

Old
02-15-2013, 10:04 AM
smokersarejokers

Quote:
, there was that too. I understand that, but Lidstrom was still constant. I mean even teams that spent had to "rush" guys, Colorado with Skoula(sp), New York with Dan Blackburn(I still feel for this guy), etc.

I think we saw it, again not to Hi-jack the thread, because I think that Klefbom as it stands Right Now is a better option at #6 or 7 next over Peckham or Potter, however, we saw it with one year of Chris ****ing Pronger, the effect of a guy at that level on a team, so imagine having a guy slightly better for 20 years WITHOUT losing him to any serious injury? It's something you can't "model" unless you find one.
Injuries killed Blackburn, not being rushed. He was looking pretty good until suffering nerve damage in his shoulder.

Old
02-15-2013, 10:31 AM
Stoneman89

I hope this organization handles the Klefbom situation with extreme care and diligence. He's missed basically an entire year of development and has never played in N.A. I remember people on here saying PRV was going to tear it up because he played against men in the SEL. Even if Klefbom has a great training camp, I would prefer to see him go down to the AHL for more time and seasoning. Lots of players look great during TC and the early parts of the season, and then find they're in way over their head and lose confidence badly. A year in OKC will not hurt him at all. We can't move him into the lineup just because our bottom pairing guys suck.

Old
02-15-2013, 10:35 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
PRV wasnt rushed at all, he came to training camp and played his way on to the team. through the camp he looked the most nhl ready out of the 3 rookies (hall, eberle). his game just didnt continue through the season.
Not dissing either of the above mentioned players, but the main reason they both made the Oilers immediately after coming over from Sweden speaks more to the organizations terrible depth and talent level at that time than it does to great play on their part.

Old
02-15-2013, 10:42 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokersarejokers View Post
Injuries killed Blackburn, not being rushed. He was looking pretty good until suffering nerve damage in his shoulder.
I know, but he used to play a TON and the Rangers gave him no help as I recall.

Old
02-15-2013, 11:00 AM
backhandsauce

What would be Oscars comparable?

Old
02-15-2013, 11:17 AM
canovin
Klefbom's charm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okanagan Oil View Post
What would be Oscars comparable?
Mostly of what was left of that meteor in Russia earlier today.

Old
02-15-2013, 11:41 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by canovin View Post
Mostly of what was left of that meteor in Russia earlier today.
lol

Old
02-15-2013, 06:19 PM
metallicat
@metallicat51

Stauffer had him on the radio today and it was a great interview. I really liked this guys attitude and the way he talked.

Closed Thread