HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix LXXII: Send in the Clowns

Closed Thread

Old
02-14-2013, 02:59 PM
ducks2010
I buy milk in bags

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualFan View Post
Thanks. Yes, the transcript is avail but it would be inappropriate for me to use PACER access to copy/paste it to the BOH forum.

http://www.azb.uscourts.gov/Document...ipt_Notice.pdf
Thanks...Would it be inappropriate for you to post only the portion of the transcript showing the exchange regarding the Baum confirming/warning the city of Glendale about putting their support with the NHL? ..and quick summary on the pacer thing... does the link you provide mean I could buy the transcript online somehow. how much? If it is easy to do and not too much $$ I would pay to read it. Thanks!

Old
02-14-2013, 03:33 PM
OthmarAmmann
Money making machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualFan View Post
Thanks. Yes, the transcript is avail but it would be inappropriate for me to use PACER access to copy/paste it to the BOH forum.

http://www.azb.uscourts.gov/Document...ipt_Notice.pdf
I am somewhat amused that PACER is not a defined term in the linked doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotesreign View Post
This promotion is more like a GOALden shower on us STHs than anything else. F--- the NHL they are p---ing on sths with this plan.
Nominated for next thread title

Old
02-14-2013, 03:34 PM
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas L View Post
I am somewhat amused that PACER is not a defined term in the linked doc
Quote:
Originally Posted by yotesreign *
This promotion is more like a GOALden shower on us STHs than anything else. F--- the NHL they are p---ing on sths with this plan

Nominated for next thread title

We're only at post 131!

I admit its a good candidate.

Last edited by QcBlizzard: 02-14-2013 at 03:39 PM.
Old
02-14-2013, 03:41 PM
Evil Doctor
Army Recruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungman View Post
As an aside, article about one of the foundational characters in our sordid tale (presented without comment (for now at least)):

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/stor...illie-rim.html
Well that sucks. With the buzz surrounding the Z10, I would have expected him to be back into the billionaire category by the end of the year...

Old
02-14-2013, 03:47 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Doctor View Post
Well that sucks. With the buzz surrounding the Z10, I would have expected him to be back into the billionaire category by the end of the year...
You mean the negative buzz?

Quote:
U.S. wireless carriers are not optimistic about the prospects for the BlackBerry Z10 touchscreen smartphone, Wedge Partners analyst Brian Blair asserts in a research note today.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericsavi...-analyst-says/

Quote:
BlackBerry (BBRY) shares continued down on Thursday morning after a research note from Wednesday evening called the company’s comeback prospects into question once again. In a note to investors picked up by Barron’s, National Bank Financial analyst Kris Thompson cut his revenue and profit forecast for BlackBerry’s upcoming fiscal year while casting doubt on its prospects with the BlackBerry Z10 in light of what he calls a delayed U.S. launch.

“For the record, we like the Z10. It’s a great upgrade for BlackBerry subscribers,” Thompson wrote. “But we don’t see the product reversing BlackBerry’s market share decline; only providing a short-term stabilization from BB6/7 upgrades. We do not expect the platform to win over many iOS or Android users. The apps just aren’t there; and apps are not moving to the web browser soon enough to fill this void.”
http://bgr.com/2013/02/14/blackberry...siness-327330/

Old
02-14-2013, 03:54 PM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
Private Equity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducks2010 View Post
Thanks...Would it be inappropriate for you to post only the portion of the transcript showing the exchange regarding the Baum confirming/warning the city of Glendale about putting their support with the NHL? ..and quick summary on the pacer thing... does the link you provide mean I could buy the transcript online somehow. how much? If it is easy to do and not too much $$ I would pay to read it. Thanks!
Pacer, IIRC is usually a .10 cent per page cost. You must register first. It's been about 4 yrs since I last logged into Pacer and have sense forgotten my username/pw. Sure my previously employer changed it anyway even if I suddenly remembered it.

Old
02-14-2013, 04:07 PM
ajmidd12
Know-It-All

vCash: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by QcBlizzard View Post
We're only at post 131!

I admit its a good candidate.
Such a good thread title! So much potential...

GOALden ticket.... Wow, is all I can say.

Old
02-14-2013, 04:39 PM
CasualFan
Tortious Beadicus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducks2010 View Post
Yes, you can purchase the record. It is avail in the Public Access Court Electronic Records (PACER) system. Just make sure you register in the correct venue/jurisdiction: http://www.pacer.gov/reg_dcbk.html

As M4B was saying, it's cheap. I don't know exactly how much but definitely should be under $5. I, however, must politely decline posting any ECF info into an online forum.

Old
02-14-2013, 05:48 PM
Llama19

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
^^^^

It might appear to be that ( the whole graphic beating up a dying dog ), but I think for the most part people are just hanging out here to see how it finishes. Really, after watching this for 3+ years, there is no way people are not going to wait to see the last mile run.
And to think, I thought Jamison was really going to make it to that last tree...

Old
02-14-2013, 05:51 PM
powerstuck
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
It's a shortened season, and the Coyotes have already played 8 home games. Not a lot of room to be picky about what games the ticket qualifies for. In fact, that's simply the last 10 home games.
My point was, in most markets, Kings (SC Champs) are a ''premium game'', Wings (Original 6) as well.

Old
02-14-2013, 06:26 PM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotesreign View Post
Why does it looks like it ought to appeal to degenerate gamblers?

As a full season ticket holder, I didn;t need any more signs that this is the last season here, but this is another sign this is the last season here. Faer as I'm concerned these Phx threads are now superflous. Perhaps ther QC and Seattle markets can find their own threads, but keepign these PHxx threads around is the equivalent of seeing a dyign dog on the aide of the road, pulling over, not to get it out of the traffic lane, but to kick it in the nuts, then the face, then stomp opn its ribs until you hear them crack.

I am now boycotting the Phoenix threads, and will enjoy the rest of my home games, and road games, and then bid farewell to the NHL.

This promotion is more like a GOALden shower on us STHs than anything else. F--- the NHL they are p---ing on sths with this plan.
On a personal note, I actually am sorry for what you, goyotes, XX, and some of the others here are going through. When I first came onto these boards it was largely because I was sick of the nastiness of the fans on AZ Central, however you guys are a different group of fans and don't deserve to be lumped in with them. While I disagree with you on the viability of the Phoenix area as an NHL market and would like to see the team in Canada I do feel bad for what you have experienced despite my sarcastic comments like the fake transcripts.

Old
02-14-2013, 06:40 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
When I first came onto these boards it was largely because I was sick of the nastiness of the fans on AZ Central, however you guys are a different group of fans and don't deserve to be lumped in with them.
I just have to laugh at this. I don't know if you were party to it, but the trolling by Canadians got so bad that they shut down the comments section for the first time ever. I see deeply bitter and angry posters on here who slag the Coyotes any chance they get. To say that my general impression of Canadian hockey fans has changed is an understatement. You'd think that Winnipeg getting a team back and righting that wrong would slow things down a bit, but it seems to have made things worse. Not trying to start a riot, but Quebec fans and those hoping to see the return of the Nordiques have been far more civilized than the Jets crew. That makes it easy for me to root for their return. I don't want it to be at the expense of my team, but if it comes to that, I know they are going to a better home.

Revel in the comedy of it all, but try to leave us out of it. As you can see, people are finally cracking. The heartbreak when GJ's bid failed was palpable. Trash the market and the council all you want. They've earned it, though there's more to the backstory than anyone here really wants to admit. I draw the line at rooting for the city to go bankrupt and things of that nature. That's 5 out of 5 classless Subbans. There's only a few of us poking around these threads because, quite frankly, it's a free fire zone. Thick skin is required.

Old
02-14-2013, 06:54 PM
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan

Quote:
I just have to laugh at this. I don't know if you were party to it, but the trolling by Canadians got so bad that they shut down the comments section for the first time ever. I see deeply bitter and angry posters on here who slag the Coyotes any chance they get. To say that my general impression of Canadian hockey fans has changed is an understatement. You'd think that Winnipeg getting a team back and righting that wrong would slow things down a bit, but it seems to have made things worse. Not trying to start a riot, but Quebec fans and those hoping to see the return of the Nordiques have been far more civilized than the Jets crew. That makes it easy for me to root for their return. I don't want it to be at the expense of my team, but if it comes to that, I know they are going to a better home.

Revel in the comedy of it all, but try to leave us out of it. As you can see, people are finally cracking. The heartbreak when GJ's bid failed was palpable. Trash the market and the council all you want. They've earned it, though there's more to the backstory than anyone here really wants to admit. I draw the line at rooting for the city to go bankrupt and things of that nature. That's 5 out of 5 classless Subbans. There's only a few of us poking around these threads because, quite frankly, it's a free fire zone. Thick skin is required.

"Divide to conquer" does not always work ;-)

Out of topic, I a watching a game in FLA and I'd not bet theres more then 8000 people down there.

Something is not working.

Old
02-14-2013, 07:05 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
GOALden ticket?

Incoming Gary Bettman and the Desert Factory parody in 3....2....1....
From Phoenix XXXV:

Quote:
Oompa Loompa doompadee doo
I've got another thread here for you
Oompa Loompa doompadah dee
If you are wise you will listen to me

What do you get from a glut of these threads?
Eyes that glaze over and a pain in the head
Why don't you stop and end all this pain?
Or could you just read and go slowly insane?

Oompa Loompa doompadee dah
If you're not crazy then you will run far
You will live in happiness too
Like the Oompa Loompa doompadee do

Old
02-14-2013, 07:18 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:

Out of topic, I a watching a game in FLA and I'd not bet theres more then 8000 people down there.

Florida is has bad a market has Phoenix. The only difference is Florida has an owner.

Old
02-14-2013, 07:20 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Florida is has bad a market has Phoenix. The only difference is Florida has an owner.
Out of curiosity, how much less than the NHL's $170M did the Panthers sell for last time?

Old
02-14-2013, 07:23 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
...and btw, they might be bad hockey market per say, but some fans there are has great has any other fan in the NHL, its not a knock on them, but on the non fans there, or the bandwagon kinda fans.

Old
02-14-2013, 07:35 PM
gravyleaves

Quote:
Not trying to start a riot, but Quebec fans and those hoping to see the return of the Nordiques have been far more civilized than the Jets crew.
Not caring if I start a riot, but it's really the worst of the worst that act uncivilized and isn't indicative of the average fan. In QC's case the people trashy enough to be uncivilized about a sports team probably weren't educated to know english well enough to do so on US forums.

Old
02-14-2013, 08:35 PM
Gotaf7

vCash: 50
Quote:

That's what they call a sunbelt sellout!

Old
02-14-2013, 08:49 PM
aqib

Quote:

It was funny seeing how the crowd of Canadians changed over there. First it was Hamilton folks wanting to get a team. Some started off curious and then the fighting began and there were some Winnipeg fans just hoping the Yotes would move not thinking they had a chance. Then Hamilton lost and Peg moved into the drivers seat so more Peggers came and a few Hamilton folks were left. Even when Peg got their team the Peggers hung out and got nastier. Its hard to say who really fired the first shot. There are some on AZ Central that were so nasty they left you hoping Arizona would lose all its major league teams. But like I said, different crowd over here.

Old
02-14-2013, 09:00 PM
Glacial

Quote:
They're like sharks (not San Jose Sharks mind you, sharks that 'play' in liquid water). The Thrashers gave them a taste for blood and instead of satiating their appetite, they're now in a feeding frenzy. Of course, there's lingering sentiments of injustice. The Jets & Nordiques are 2 teams they really wanted to get back and with a very active US expansion over the '90s (and 2000), all Canada got out of it was Ottawa. They want more teams considering how much Canada has grown since 1990. My question... First was Winnipeg, next comes Quebec City. Next after that would be GTA2 obviously, but let's talk theoreticals and say GTA2 gets a team somewhere. Where next? Would there be calls for team #4 in Ontario? Would it be Saskatoon or Regina? Where would there be calls for another Canadian city to get a team? Or would their desire for new (or refurbished) NHL teams be satisfied by then?

Old
02-14-2013, 09:03 PM
Material Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyleaves View Post
(...) In QC's case the people trashy enough to be uncivilized about a sports team probably weren't educated to know english well enough to do so on US forums.
Intellectual shortcut...

Old
02-14-2013, 09:18 PM
Lars65

vCash: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacial View Post
They're like sharks (not San Jose Sharks mind you, sharks that 'play' in liquid water). The Thrashers gave them a taste for blood and instead of satiating their appetite, they're now in a feeding frenzy. Of course, there's lingering sentiments of injustice. The Jets & Nordiques are 2 teams they really wanted to get back and with a very active US expansion over the '90s (and 2000), all Canada got out of it was Ottawa. They want more teams considering how much Canada has grown since 1990. My question... First was Winnipeg, next comes Quebec City. Next after that would be GTA2 obviously, but let's talk theoreticals and say GTA2 gets a team somewhere. Where next? Would there be calls for team #4 in Ontario? Would it be Saskatoon or Regina? Where would there be calls for another Canadian city to get a team? Or would their desire for new (or refurbished) NHL teams be satisfied by then?
As long as cities like Saskatoon maintain a large appetite for professional hockey, people will dream. While some people may try to turn it into a nationalistic thing, that is the primary factor. Realism takes a backseat while dreaming, and so it should.

I understand why fans in specific markets might take offense, due to the incessant (and misguided) calls for their teams relocation. However, the general offense I really don't understand. I might not think that Omaha, for instance, would be able to support an NHL team, but the concept hardly offends me as a Canadian. Heck, people gotta dream. It's the only reason half the cities in the league even have a team in the first place.

Old
02-14-2013, 09:27 PM
t0mf00lery

If anything, Canadians posting on message boards and comments sections hoping to get an NHL team for their city really just speaks to their passion for the NHL.

I don't see a bunch of Kansas City, or Seattle, or Houston fans hovering around a struggling NHL market like jackals on a carcass.

Personally, I just think it exemplifies the rabid passion for NHL hockey of the average Canadian fan...so much so that they act crazy, entitled, and arrogant at times.

Old
02-14-2013, 11:11 PM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacial View Post
I think most Canadians would concede that 10 is the logical limit the way the country's population is distributed. QC, Hamilton, and Toronto North (Markham/Vaughn/etc) Saskatoon can have neutral site games but with <300000 people it can't go NHL yet.

Closed Thread