HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Official Penguins Prospects Thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2013, 03:03 PM
Malkinstheman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
You don't trade 1st round picks to make room for a college UFA.
I didnt mean trade them specifically to trade sustr, just that if he were to sign, shero could have muh more depth so he would be comfortable trading one of our prospects in a deal for a winger

Old
02-11-2013, 03:15 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Reid McNeill is headed to Wilkes-Barre, apparently.

He could make his AHL debut tomorrow against Binghampton, I'd guess he'd be replacing Cody Wild if that were the case.

Old
02-11-2013, 03:17 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
That's funny, because I see it differently. Just watching tonight made us realize how badly we are missing Letang. I salivate over the luxury of having 1 or 2 more guys like that in the line-up. But the fact is, Pouliot is 3 years away minimum, and guys like Morrow and Despres probably won't provide that level of offense. I really like our overall mix, but the sooner we can get someone to create some offense from the back-end into our line-up, the better -- especially in the absence of quality offensive wingers up front.

Perhaps it's just semantics, but while a guy like Paul Martin might be considered a puck-MOVING Dman, I want a point-producing Dman, which is different.
Well, Paul Martin is exactly what I was referring to when I said PMD. Offensive defensemen? Sure. Defensive defensemen? Absolutely.

It's these hybrid types that kinda skew the situation, imo. ESPECIALLY inconsistent hybrid types, of which Paul Martin is one.

Old
02-11-2013, 03:20 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Well, Paul Martin is exactly what I was referring to when I said PMD. Offensive defensemen? Sure. Defensive defensemen? Absolutely.

It's these hybrid types that kinda skew the situation, imo. ESPECIALLY inconsistent hybrid types, of which Paul Martin is one.
While Martin has been good, I agree with the general premise of your post. I'd definitely prefer someone who excelled in one particular area to another jack of all trades type defenseman.

Old
02-11-2013, 03:29 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
Reid McNeill is headed to Wilkes-Barre, apparently.

He could make his AHL debut tomorrow against Binghampton, I'd guess he'd be replacing Cody Wild if that were the case.
Nice, I look forward to seeing him. He has performed very well in the both Pen's rookie camps I attended. Good size, and decent skill, with some grit.

Old
02-11-2013, 05:16 PM
Malkinstheman

Any body think elmer at least gets mention for the calder trophy? Hes curretly 2nd in rookies defencemen scoring behind schultz. Schultz has 7 points in 12 games while elmer has 5 points in 11 games even though he gets almost half of schultz's ice time and not even near as much pp time as him.

Old
02-11-2013, 05:52 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkinstheman View Post
Any body think elmer at least gets mention for the calder trophy? Hes curretly 2nd in rookies defencemen scoring behind schultz. Schultz has 7 points in 12 games while elmer has 5 points in 11 games even though he gets almost half of schultz's ice time and not even near as much pp time as him.
He could get a mention but I'd only think it'd be 1 or two 3rd place votes.

Tarasenko is frontrunner to win it in my opinion.

Old
02-11-2013, 11:47 PM
Rabid Husky

vCash: 643
Quote:
Who are some NCAA free agents the Penguins might target in the coming months? Besides Sustr, and mostly just inquiring about forwards in general. There's always a high turnover rate for AHL squads and I'd rather see actual prospects instead of the Warren Peters's and Benn Ferrieros.
If you guys have had people here watching Hanowski then they have seen Drew LeBlanc, the NCAA leader in assists.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:40 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
You don't trade 1st round picks to make room for a college UFA.
You can however trade a defense prospect picked in the first round for something else, if you have so many quality defense prospects that you cannot reasonably expect to bring nearly all of them through or give them the openings needed to make the valuable assets. We have that situation already.

If the staff trusted to determine BPA were to suggest that Sustr is just as promising and likely to be useful for the Pens as X,Y or Z prospect on our farm and you could sign him for nothing, then why not do that and flip another D-asset to get something we are more in need of?

Old
02-12-2013, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
While Martin has been good, I agree with the general premise of your post. I'd definitely prefer someone who excelled in one particular area to another jack of all trades type defenseman.
It comes back to the system. The Pens like coming up the wall but when that gets taken away if forces someone in deep to lug the puck up the ice. Sid and Malkin usually get taken out right away so it falls onto one of the defensemen to carry. Thats why Letang is so valued... not just for his skating but his hands are like a centers.

Another thing is that I would have to guess that the Pens feel that Sid can play with Kunitz and Duper because Letang is also getting time with Sid. So while he doesn't have that 100 pt winger, he does have Dupes getting 45 and Letang getting 55.

Old
02-13-2013, 07:47 PM
Jacob

Not sure what Ruopp's injury was but he's back in the lineup tonight and fought 10 minutes into the 1st.

Old
02-13-2013, 08:25 PM
Solution

Quote:
Not sure what Ruopp's injury was but he's back in the lineup tonight and fought 10 minutes into the 1st.
Glad to hear he is making the michalek deal make some more sense.

Old
02-13-2013, 08:27 PM
deakka

Matt Murray with the SO tonight in an 8-0 victory. 1st of the season, 2nd of his career. So its not that often he gets it!

Old
02-13-2013, 08:39 PM
Malkinstheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by deakka View Post
Matt Murray with the SO tonight in an 8-0 victory. 1st of the season, 2nd of his career. So its not that often he gets it!
How many saves did he make?

Old
02-13-2013, 08:47 PM
deakka

Quote:
How many saves did he make?
25 saves. Most games ive seen the boxscore they give up like 40 shots. they must have tighten up this game i guess

Old
02-13-2013, 11:41 PM
Gallatin
A Banksy of Goonism

Quote:
25 saves. Most games ive seen the boxscore they give up like 40 shots. they must have tighten up this game i guess
Both of our 2012 Goalies are having good seasons. It's been a while since we had Two G prospects with real upside....

Old
02-14-2013, 11:25 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Blueger is the player of the week in the WCHA

Zlobin picked up an assist in last night's 4-2 win by Val D'or. Now 25-46-71pts in 49 games

Old
02-14-2013, 11:33 AM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Yes. Link to the mini-Teddy write-up:

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.ht...t-twt-penguins

12 points in his last 13 games, not too shabby.

Old
02-14-2013, 12:46 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Quote:
The Soo have been much, much better defensively ever since Sheldon Keefe took over as coach. They were a train wreck before him, giving up 40+ shots almost on a nightly basis. Now they're usually in around 30 or so shots against per night.

Dude might be a headcase with a very checkered past, but he's also a very good coach. They were flirting with .500 hockey before he took over, but since then they're something like 15-5.

Old
02-14-2013, 02:57 PM
Malkinstheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallatin View Post
Both of our 2012 Goalies are having good seasons. It's been a while since we had Two G prospects with real upside....
Real upside IF the organization manages them properly. Murray is very good at focusing and even if he lets a bad goal in he gets right back on track, but he really really NEEDS to put on weight, hes only 162 pounds.. As for maguire he is highly inconsistent although you can say its his first year but still, one game he has a shutout/one goal game then the other he totally screws up. In the long term i see maguire having the highest ceiling and safest. Murray is too much of a project

Old
02-14-2013, 06:42 PM
Malkinstheman

Can anybody tell me which of our prospects are in their senior years this year or become overage

Old
02-14-2013, 07:06 PM
Sivek

Quote:
Can anybody tell me which of our prospects are in their senior years this year or become overage
CHL-Zlobin
NCAA-Hanowski is the lone senior. Agostino and Rust are juniors. Archibald and Wilson are sophomores. Bluegers is a freshman.

For the NCAA guys, who knows if any of the forwards will sign early.

Old
02-14-2013, 07:08 PM
Beauner
Bye Bye Bylsma

Didn't realize Zlobin was an overage. So he'll be in WBS next year?

Old
02-14-2013, 07:18 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg1 View Post
Didn't realize Zlobin was an overage. So he'll be in WBS next year?
He'd be an overager if he went back next year, if he gets offered a contract (and is willing to play in the AHL) then he'll be in WBS next season. If not he'll be back in Russia.

Old
02-14-2013, 11:14 PM
Burgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
CHL-Zlobin
NCAA-Hanowski is the lone senior. Agostino and Rust are juniors. Archibald and Wilson are sophomores. Bluegers is a freshman.

For the NCAA guys, who knows if any of the forwards will sign early.
Five more prospects will be ready for the AHL next season:

- Scott Harrington (London/OHL)
- Nick D'Agostino (Cornell/ECAC)
- Alex Velischek (Providence/Hockey East)
- Harrison Ruopp (Prince Albert/WHL)
- Clark Seymour (Peterborough/OHL)

Since all of them are defensemen I doubt we sign every one of them. Harrington already has his ELC so he's a guarantee. Ruopp is probably the safest bet since he'd fill an organizational need as tough as nails, glove-dropping defender. D'Agostino has been pretty good in college so maybe him as well. Velischek has been very up and down. Seymour seems to be nothing special.

Closed Thread