HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around The League LVI

Closed Thread

Old
02-14-2013, 07:30 PM
vanwest

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
It's really hard for teams to build through FA with poor drafting and trading.

Calgary has been limping along for too long now and their fans deserve much better.
They're a borderline playoff team which normally is not bad. The biggest problem is that their two key guys, Kipper and Iginla, are getting up there. They're in for some real lean years, IMO. I think they missed the boat on trading those guys for help and then rebuilding on the fly.

Old
02-14-2013, 07:34 PM
HighAndTight
Pimp Squad For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenton Williams View Post
Well, I guess it's a difference in perspective.

Calgary has averaged over 90 pts and around 40 wins the last 3 seasons, which certainly isn't the typical profile of a team that 'limps' along.

Of course they could trade their best players and start losing, maybe start winning 25-30 games and earning 65-80 pts.

Then they could join the likes of Columbus, Winnipeg, Florida, Colorado, Edmonton and Long Island. Ask their fans how those 'rebuilds' are going.

My point is that it's tough to be a great team in this league, and tearing everything down doesn't guarantee anything. Calgary is a good team that may be missing a player or two, but perhaps the GM and fans believe they're entertaining enough the way they area, and that they have the capabilities to win without trading all the players on their team that put the fans in their seat.

Could be wrong, could be right, but I certainly don't think the management has done a atrocious job if their job is trying to be successful as possible with the resources they have.

not every rebuild turns into the Blackhawks.
I'm not even saying a rebuild is the way to go, but clearly things always seem to go the same way for the Flames. 90pts isn't enough to make the playoffs. I consider that limping along.

The team, imho, needs a radical shake up one way or the other.

Old
02-14-2013, 07:47 PM
ddawg1950

I know people hate the Flames, but why do they hate Iginla? I find it impossible. Guy is a first-ballot Hall of Famer, loyal to his franchise, and seems like a genuinely nice dude. Not saying people criticizing his play hate him, but a lot of Canucks fans get on the guy for no good reason. Only time I hate him is when he's playing well against the Canucks.

Proto, I don't think anyone hates Iginla.

He's a tough guy to hate.

I used to be in awe of how the guy could take over a game.

I just don't see that guy on the ice.

As you suggest, it is probably a moot point. Canucks would have to make a massive overpayment.

Old
02-14-2013, 07:55 PM
vanwest

Troy Brouwer with his 7th goal.
When did he become a goal scorer?

Old
02-14-2013, 08:02 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Troy Brouwer with his 7th goal.
When did he become a goal scorer?
When he started shooting at 25%. This shortened season will result in a lot of freak performances. Guys might put up 12 goals in 48 games where they would only put up 15 in 82 since there won't necessarily be enough time for the stats to regress.

Old
02-14-2013, 08:19 PM
VanEric

He's been put in a lot more offensive situations this year and it's not like he's never been a goal scorer. He put up some pretty good goal totals in the AHL when he was a top line guy.

Old
02-14-2013, 08:22 PM
Proto

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
When he started shooting at 25%. This shortened season will result in a lot of freak performances. Guys might put up 12 goals in 48 games where they would only put up 15 in 82 since there won't necessarily be enough time for the stats to regress.
Heck, even over an 82 game season it's not uncommon to see an outlier SH% or On-Ice SH%. Look at Eberle last year and his inevitable return to earth.

Old
02-14-2013, 08:29 PM
VanEric

Random thought : At what point do people start to admit they were full of **** when it came to their opinions on Alexander Semin?

Old
02-14-2013, 08:30 PM
opendoor

Quote:
Well, I guess it's a difference in perspective.

Calgary has averaged over 90 pts and around 40 wins the last 3 seasons, which certainly isn't the typical profile of a team that 'limps' along.

Of course they could trade their best players and start losing, maybe start winning 25-30 games and earning 65-80 pts.

Then they could join the likes of Columbus, Winnipeg, Florida, Colorado, Edmonton and Long Island. Ask their fans how those 'rebuilds' are going.

My point is that it's tough to be a great team in this league, and tearing everything down doesn't guarantee anything. Calgary is a good team that may be missing a player or two, but perhaps the GM and fans believe they're entertaining enough the way they area, and that they have the capabilities to win without trading all the players on their team that put the fans in their seat.

Could be wrong, could be right, but I certainly don't think the management has done a atrocious job if their job is trying to be successful as possible with the resources they have.

not every rebuild turns into the Blackhawks.
90 points is hardly an impressive point total with OTLs and the shootout; about 2/3rds of the league get there every single season. A .560 record is generally considered the new .500 because of point inflation and that's a 92 point season.

And whether they trade their top players or simply let them decline into nothing, they could end up in the 65-80 point range except with the former they'll at least get some assets to build with. Teams like Edmonton and Toronto had some years where they just missed the playoffs before they dropped off the map and Calgary might be headed there given their almost complete dearth of talent between the ages of 22-29.

Old
02-14-2013, 08:36 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
He's been put in a lot more offensive situations this year and it's not like he's never been a goal scorer. He put up some pretty good goal totals in the AHL when he was a top line guy.
Doesn't shoot enough to even be a 20 goal scorer, let alone the 40+ that he's on pace for right now.

Old
02-14-2013, 08:41 PM
VanEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Doesn't shoot enough to even be a 20 goal scorer, let alone the 40+ that he's on pace for right now.
Two different issues. The reason he's put a lot of goals in early on is because he has a decent pair of hands and he's been put in situations where others are creating for him. Will this hot streak continue? Unlikely but it's also unlikely he's going to be removed from his new role.

Old
02-14-2013, 08:44 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

vCash: 457
Quote:
Random thought : At what point do people start to admit they were full of **** when it came to their opinions on Alexander Semin?
Yeah. Can't believe people didn't want him on this team . Would look fantastic with Ovechkin clone Kesler.

Old
02-14-2013, 08:51 PM
LiquidSnake*

Quote:
Well obviously at this age his performance will not match previous outputs, but from watching him playing he still has a lot to contribute.

I just find it irritating when a fan criticizes him for literally smiling after a game. The Flames and him always get bashed around here and they are never as terrible as people say.

People were saying the exact same stuff in 09-10 when Iginla's production dropped. He seemed to fair okay the next year if I recall.

I'm not even a big fan of his or the Flames, although I do have a soft spot for the underdogs. I see a lot of good players on that team that don't get enough credit. Unfortunately their defensive depth and current goaltending situation might cause problems.
You clearly didn't understand what I meant by the post, and I'm not surprised. It's a damn shame that this is what it has come to in Calgary. They're happy with reg season wins.

The Flames get bashed around here because they suck. They have no direction when it came to trades under Sutter and that's why they don't have defense.

What credit are you looking for? That Iginla is a good person? Seems like a great guy.... Off the ice.

Old
02-14-2013, 08:57 PM
LiquidSnake*

Quote:
My problem is when judgement is driven by obvious bias instead of some type of objective thought. People talk about how awful the Flames are when in reality they've barely missed the playoffs the last few years while being significantly above .500.

Perhaps it's because the Canucks always seem to manhandle them that our fanbase is so critical.

Either way, root against them all you want, but knocking the Flames and Iginla like they're garbage is pretty dumb to read.
"significantly above .500" in a time where they have shootouts. Ok sure.

Complaining that people don't like a rival team on your own board is pretty dumb to read.

Old
02-14-2013, 08:57 PM
canuck4life16
It what it is-mccann

vCash: 576
what going on in the NY game??? 2 goal by Rangers than 3 by Islanders then 3-3 tie

Old
02-14-2013, 09:00 PM
aandbreatheme

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck4life16 View Post
what going on in the NY game??? 2 goal by Rangers than 3 by Islanders then 3-3 tie
Apparently Brad Richards sucks.

Old
02-14-2013, 09:05 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
**** is ****ed Jimmy

Quote:
I'm innocent.

Anytime I mentioned Semin it was only to make an immature Beavis-and-Buttheadesque joke.

Old
02-14-2013, 09:09 PM
nekyvGkOPaiWICTscLl6

vCash: 50
I was always a proponent of bringing Semin on board.

I was the one who said Semin > Doan and I got an earful from everyone.

Old
02-14-2013, 09:10 PM
LiquidSnake*

Colorado up 1-0. Hard not cheer against the Wild after their big spending.

I found Yeo's comments comical after that OTW vs Nashville where he stated that the first 10 games didn't matter and that now the season starts.

Old
02-14-2013, 09:11 PM
LiquidSnake*

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach9 View Post

A lot of these players seem to thrive more in the the East. Doubt he'd be that effective in the West and I doubt he'd come here a anyways.

Old
02-14-2013, 09:17 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Cory = Glory

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by roach9 View Post

I was initially completely against it but warmed up to the idea, then Carolina signed him 2 days later.

Old
aandbreatheme

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post

I found Yeo's comments comical after that OTW vs Nashville where he stated that the first 10 games didn't matter and that now the season starts.
He also summed up the game against VAN as "just missed chances." I mean, that was certainly true for some parts of the third period, but other than that, they were pretty bad. I'm pretty sure we're probably the ones who had more missed chances (+ wide open nets...)

Old
Proto

vCash: 833
Quote:
They never will. Really wanted Gillis to move Ballard and sign Semin last summer, but I doubt Semin was interested in Vancouver.

Old
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post

What an idiot. The first 10 games this year is like the first 20 of a normal season.

Old
02-14-2013, 09:18 PM
aandbreatheme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
They never will. Really wanted Gillis to move Ballard and Sign Semin last summer, but I doubt Semin was interested in Vancouver.
Yeah, he seems like a guy who doesn't want to be under a gargantuan spotlight.

Closed Thread