HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Adirondack Phantoms and more (Apr 4. Charges against Nick Cousins are dropped)

Closed Thread

Old
02-14-2013, 09:17 PM
Mgkibbles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Since when did deadspin get morals?
Haha who knows, but they were certainly quick to hop on the high horse with this story.

Old
02-14-2013, 10:01 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackWithaVengeance View Post
I believe he'll play next year on the Phantoms top-6 along with Taylor Leier to get used to the pros.

He should see plenty of PP-time as well as 5-on-5 minutes.

If we don't buy Briere out, I think he will replace him on the wing in 2014/2015.

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
Schenn-Couturier-Simmonds
Read-Laughton-Cousins

Not sure he would be as effective on the wing.... That's a very young lineup lol

Old
02-14-2013, 10:08 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
Haha who knows, but they were certainly quick to hop on the high horse with this story.
It was a poor choice of words for Lappy to use but I got what he meant by it. As for Cousins ill wait for the trail to finish before I make any judgements against him.

Old
02-14-2013, 10:58 PM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
It was a poor choice of words for Lappy to use but I got what he meant by it. As for Cousins ill wait for the trail to finish before I make any judgements against him.
Holy ****! Let's not let this rational thinking pollute the main boards that think Cousins in a rapist piece of **** that should be hung at any moment. If he's guilty, he should face the punishment and I'll support it. But, Lappy never said anything to the contrary, he just said guys should think before they put themselves in a position that would compromise them or their name.

Old
02-14-2013, 11:04 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Holy ****! Let's not let this rational thinking pollute the main boards that think Cousins in a rapist piece of **** that should be hung at any moment. If he's guilty, he should face the punishment and I'll support it. But, Lappy never said anything to the contrary, he just said guys should think before they put themselves in a position that would compromise them or their name.
Both lappy and Frank took a beating on twitter today from rival fans, women's rights groups, and then just the people who feel they need to be the moral police of the world.

Old
02-14-2013, 11:06 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Both lappy and Frank took a beating on twitter today from rival fans, women's rights groups, and then just the people who feel they need to be the moral police of the world.
Oh I know. Everybody loves to jump on the bandwagon of self righteous indignation

Old
02-14-2013, 11:30 PM
BackWithaVengeance

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush28 View Post
Not sure he would be as effective on the wing.... That's a very young lineup lol
Keep in mind it's two years from now .

Old
02-14-2013, 11:56 PM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
Oh I know. Everybody loves to jump on the bandwagon of self righteous indignation
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Old
02-15-2013, 04:39 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Yep so quick to pass judgement.

Old
02-15-2013, 06:16 AM
FlyersFan61290

What bothers me is those are the charges nothing more. Before people start labeling him a rapist he should be convicted of the crime. But its guilty until proven innocent to some folks I guess

Old
02-15-2013, 08:06 AM
4thline4life
The Mased God

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
What bothers me is those are the charges nothing more. Before people start labeling him a rapist he should be convicted of the crime. But its guilty until proven innocent to some folks I guess
Yup usually it is they are guilty before innocent...see any case with an athlete. Duke lacrosse, Kobe Bryant, big ben, ect...

Old
02-15-2013, 10:57 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
in the internet media world you are are guilty until proven innocent.
that and there are a lot of internet tough guys out there.

Old
02-15-2013, 11:44 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

People don't understand the point of the judicial system. This may be OT but still somewhat applys; People still label Michael Vick as a dog killer.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a dog lover. I've been my entire life, and I can't understand how anyone could bring themselves to treat such innocent animals that way...

But the fact is, the point of the penal system is to rehabilitate, not to brand and to give people who deserve it a second chance. The man served his time and apparently now sees the error of his ways.

But people are innocent until proven guilty. And if he is guilty, he should serve the time, but if he's not then its unfair to label him as something when none of us really know the details. People have to realize that people make mistakes. Not everyone can be as perfect you'd like them to be. people can and do change.

Old
02-15-2013, 12:20 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
People don't understand the point of the judicial system. This may be OT but still somewhat applys; People still label Michael Vick as a dog killer.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a dog lover. I've been my entire life, and I can't understand how anyone could bring themselves to treat such innocent animals that way...

But the fact is, the point of the penal system is to rehabilitate, not to brand and to give people who deserve it a second chance. The man served his time and apparently now sees the error of his ways.

But people are innocent until proven guilty. And if he is guilty, he should serve the time, but if he's not then its unfair to label him as something when none of us really know the details. People have to realize that people make mistakes. Not everyone can be as perfect you'd like them to be. people can and do change.
Totally agree with all of this!

Old
02-15-2013, 12:32 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
I agree, and without commenting on the case soon to be in front of the courts, it's not out of line to label him a moron for putting himself into a situation where an accusation (true or false) could be made.

Old
02-15-2013, 01:43 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
I agree, and without commenting on the case soon to be in front of the courts, it's not out of line to label him a moron for putting himself into a situation where an accusation (true or false) could be made.
Agreed, the situation is troubling, but not really that much to Lappy, apparently, who probably has some tales to tell of his own days in Jr....

Did you see this?

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...he_better.html

"At the pro level, teams expect you to be an adult and act like one," Laperriere said. "He's got a good heart . . . Let's be honest, stuff like that has been happening forever. You can't get away with anything now. He can't put himself in those situations.

"He's been in trouble with this stuff, but hopefully that's all going to go away. Part of my job is telling him that he needs to learn from that. You need to be careful what you're doing. All of our prospects need to learn from his situation."

Old
02-15-2013, 01:56 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

I think quite a bit was lost in translation by Lappy.

Here is another piece done in response to the original article.

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2013/0...exual-assault/

Quote:
We live in an instantaneous world. Within seconds of an event, it is tweeted, retweeted, blogged about, and judged. As poet Charles Baudelaire said, “The world only goes ’round by misunderstanding.”

A misunderstanding on several levels happened when Flyers Director of Player Development Ian Laperriere was quoted in the Philadelphia Daily News. The Daily News had written an article about Nick Cousins, a Flyers prospect, who had been arrested and charged in an Ontario court with sexual assault. The charges are still pending.

“At the pro level, teams expect you to be an adult and act like one,” Laperriere said. “He’s got a good heart . . . Let’s be honest, stuff like that has been happening forever. You can’t get away with anything now. He can’t put himself in those situations.

“He’s been in trouble with this stuff, but hopefully that’s all going to go away. Part of my job is telling him that he needs to learn from that. You need to be careful what you’re doing. All of our prospects need to learn from his situation.”

“Happening forever?” “Can’t get away with anything?” It appeared Laperriere was dismissing the victim, downplaying the charges, and acknowledging **** happens, but hey, what can we do?

Of course, this is where the misunderstanding starts. Laperriere doesn’t claim he was misquoted, only that his remarks are misconstrued because he failed to be entirely clear on what he was trying to say.
Quote:
“That is absolutely not what I meant to say. I would never, ever say **** is OK,” he said. “I struggle sometimes with English, and I was trying to say that these situations have happened before, and hopefully all the players will learn from this, to not put themselves in bad situations.”

It was quite clear he was rattled and upset with how he failed to be clearer on his point and how it affected him. Still, it wasn’t quite what I was hoping to hear, so I pressed a bit.

“Well, these are 18, 19, 20 year old guys who aren’t going to be rich right away, but they have more money than they know what to do with, and they think it’s time to party and do stupid things,” Laperriere said.

(In a follow-up email, Laperriere made his position even clearer: “in fact i was talking about kids/players been in trouble before and didn’t think about the consequences . I specifically didn’t have **** in mind when i said that , we were talking about kids getting in trouble in General . it look like i was talking about **** and i wasn’t …. Not in a million years i would downplay such of cruel act .”)

Old
02-15-2013, 02:48 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
I think quite a bit was lost in translation by Lappy.

Here is another piece done in response to the original article.

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2013/0...exual-assault/
Thanks, yikes. He's only digging himself further in. Lappy needs to put the phone down and stop talking!

Old
02-15-2013, 03:44 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1425
Following the career-ending injury, Lappy was asked about going into broadcasting as a profession and he stated his unfamiliarity with certain English terms and being uncomfortable with expressing himself properly.

Stated in the follow-up article, that isn't something he is using for the first time.

Old
02-15-2013, 08:48 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Laughton with the hatty tonight. Stolarz stopped 29 of 31 shots in a relief appearance.

Old
02-15-2013, 09:19 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Laughton with the hatty tonight. Stolarz stopped 29 of 31 shots in a relief appearance.
very nice

Old
02-16-2013, 08:19 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Laughton has been off the chart since returning to junior. He's really stepped up his game to a completely different level. Hopefully he remains in junior next year and gets a chance to lead that Oshawa squad and be a part of Team Canada at the WJC tournament. Those five games in Philadelphia struck something in him and he's been on a tear ever since.

Stolarz just gets more and more impressive. I know his numbers aren't world beater (2.40 GAA and a .919 Save Percentage), but he's picking up things in London and he's only going to benefit more from having a full training camp there and getting a chance to spend the off season with his teammates. I expect big things from Stolarz next season.

Old
02-16-2013, 08:39 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Laughton has been off the chart since returning to junior. He's really stepped up his game to a completely different level. Hopefully he remains in junior next year and gets a chance to lead that Oshawa squad and be a part of Team Canada at the WJC tournament. Those five games in Philadelphia struck something in him and he's been on a tear ever since.

Stolarz just gets more and more impressive. I know his numbers aren't world beater (2.40 GAA and a .919 Save Percentage), but he's picking up things in London and he's only going to benefit more from having a full training camp there and getting a chance to spend the off season with his teammates. I expect big things from Stolarz next season.
I'd imagine laughton will be with the flyers next season. He played well here and seemed to have brought more than offense. He hits he was in on the forecheck and created turnovers. We could actually use he right now.

Imagine this next year. Buyout Briere; sign perry.

Hartnell-Giroux-Perry
Simmonds-Schenn-Voracek
McGinn-Couturier-Read
Talbot-Laughton-Rinaldo

Coburn-Jones ()
Timonen-Schenn
Meszaros-Grossmann
Gervais

Then by the time Meszaros' contract is up, maybe Ghost will be ready.

Last edited by orange is better: 02-16-2013 at 08:45 AM.
Old
02-16-2013, 08:46 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
I'd imagine laughton will be with the flyers next season. He played well here and seemed to have brought more than offense. He hits he was in on the forecheck and created turnovers. We could actually use he right now.

Hartnell-Giroux-Perry
Simmonds-Schenn-Voracek
McGinn-Couturier-Read
Talbot-Laughton-Rinaldo
I hope Laughton or Schenn can move to wing. There is not point in having 4 top 9 centers on a team, especially with how desperate other teams are for centers. The Flyers already have that problem this year with Briere, who bumped Couturier down to the 4th line last night, which is terrible for his development.

Old
02-16-2013, 09:10 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:

Hartnell-Giroux-Perry
Simmonds-Schenn-Voracek
McGinn-Couturier-Read
Talbot-Laughton-Rinaldo

Coburn-Jones ()
Timonen-Schenn
Meszaros-Grossmann
Gervais

Then by the time Meszaros' contract is up, maybe Ghost will be ready.
Yes to both highlights.
But I do not see how we can sign all these players with the lower cap number. But I have to admit that is a nice lineup.

Closed Thread