HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Around The League LVI

Closed Thread

Old
02-14-2013, 08:39 PM
VanEric

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
They never will. Really wanted Gillis to move Ballard and Sign Semin last summer, but I doubt Semin was interested in Vancouver.
If I were him, I'd stay in Carolina because his chemistry with Eric Staal seems to be growing each game and the goals will come eventually. His two play has been really impressive both in terms of effort and his hockey sense. He turned into the whipping boy in Washington because Ovi was untouchable, IMO. Basically he's a guy who put up 30-40 goals often getting Ovechkin's leftovers as linemates. He had one embarrassing fight with Marc Staal and one lousy playoff series but beyond that, I'm not sure what he did to warrant such a bad rep. Was it because he insulted Sidney Crosby?

I can't tell whether or not he's a guy who wants to be in the spotlight. I think being a top option is what is most important to him based on some comments I read from Bruce Boudreau.

Old
02-14-2013, 09:07 PM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
If I were him, I'd stay in Carolina because his chemistry with Eric Staal seems to be growing each game and the goals will come eventually. His two play has been really impressive both in terms of effort and his hockey sense. He turned into the whipping boy in Washington because Ovi was untouchable, IMO. Basically he's a guy who put up 30-40 goals often getting Ovechkin's leftovers as linemates. He had one embarrassing fight with Marc Staal and one lousy playoff series but beyond that, I'm not sure what he did to warrant such a bad rep. Was it because he insulted Sidney Crosby?

I can't tell whether or not he's a guy who wants to be in the spotlight. I think being a top option is what is most important to him based on some comments I read from Bruce Boudreau.
I thought after last year there were reports about him wanting to play in a market where he wouldn't be hounded, but I don't know how accurate they were.

I really don't think his linemates were an issue. I think he got dogged because he is a high-talent player who occasionally coasts, might be a bit aloof, and doesn't offer a noticeably strong defensive/physical game when he's not scoring. Those guys always get roasted, especially if they're -- gasp! -- Russian. Even Ovi is getting that now. Mogilny was a terrific player and he got it all the time.

With Semin you definitely get some bad with the good, but the good outweighs it tremendously at the right price. It's just that his "bad" dovetails with a lot of dumb media narratives about character and winning.

Old
02-14-2013, 09:12 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Minny ties it up as Mike Rupp uses his stick to push Giguerre into the net and dislodges the puck. Not surprised in the least that they allowed it. Game management .

Old
02-14-2013, 09:36 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Minny ties it up as Mike Rupp uses his stick to push Giguerre into the net and dislodges the puck. Not surprised in the least that they allowed it. Game management .
If a casual fan in the States is turned off by the NHL's continual failure to apply consistent reffing standards, I wouldn't be surprised.

Old
02-14-2013, 09:49 PM
Brenton Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
You clearly didn't understand what I meant by the post, and I'm not surprised. It's a damn shame that this is what it has come to in Calgary. They're happy with reg season wins.

The Flames get bashed around here because they suck. They have no direction when it came to trades under Sutter and that's why they don't have defense.

What credit are you looking for? That Iginla is a good person? Seems like a great guy.... Off the ice.
Do you have some sort of doctorate in psychology I'm unaware of where you can see a smile on TV and determine exactly what the feelings are behind it?

As far as I know all teams are happy with winning, even in the regular season. If you watch closely enough you'll even see Canucks players smile too when they win.

They made some weird trades under Sutter undeniably, but they don't suck by any objective standards. If you want to chant 'flames suck' at a game or whatever that's cool, but I don't agree with your bizarre 'smiling' analysis.

Old
02-14-2013, 09:55 PM
timw33

Damn, 3 point game between MIN and COL.

Old
02-14-2013, 09:58 PM
Brenton Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
90 points is hardly an impressive point total with OTLs and the shootout; about 2/3rds of the league get there every single season. A .560 record is generally considered the new .500 because of point inflation and that's a 92 point season.

And whether they trade their top players or simply let them decline into nothing, they could end up in the 65-80 point range except with the former they'll at least get some assets to build with. Teams like Edmonton and Toronto had some years where they just missed the playoffs before they dropped off the map and Calgary might be headed there given their almost complete dearth of talent between the ages of 22-29.
Well it was 5 pts less than the Kings who ran away with the Cup.

I see what you are saying, 90 pts doesn't mean what it used to, and there are assets to be had in trading quality players.

But the Flames have been in a position to make the playoffs the last few years, so if they trade away their best players it should only be for quality assets. Otherwise, they owe it to their fans to try and make the playoffs, because as has been proven in the last decade, once you get in to the playoffs anything can happen.

Besides, like I said, 'assets' don't necessarily mean anything. Perhaps it's a deep FA situation and they feel they can build that way?

How come the Devils, Flyers and Red Wings never rebuild? Do you see their fanbase criticizing their respective franchises?

Old
02-14-2013, 09:59 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenton Williams View Post
People talk about how awful the Flames are when in reality they've barely missed the playoffs the last few years while being significantly above .500.
One large reason is that they have Kiprusoff in net and have rode him to the ground pretty much every season since they acquired him. He's seemed to have struggled a bit before his current injury (what player hasn't struggled in the whole league) and the Flames record to that point probably reflects that.

Bottom line, the Flames have had 4 coaches since the previous lockout (less than 10 years). I'm not counting where Darryl bumped himself upstairs. That in itself should tell you something (the coach being the scapegoat of other major problems within the organization)

Quote:
I see what you are saying, 90 pts doesn't mean what it used to, and there are assets to be had in trading quality players.
Having so many players with "clauses" (eg., NTC/NMC) makes it difficult to anybody even if Feaster wanted to.

Last edited by Barney Gumble: 02-14-2013 at 11:40 PM.
Old
02-14-2013, 10:03 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
Damn, 3 point game between MIN and COL.
Is that bad? I cheer for every team in the NW and would love to see the Canucks play any of them in the playoffs. Don't want them anywere near the top of the draft either.

Old
02-14-2013, 10:12 PM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Is that bad? I cheer for every team in the NW and would love to see the Canucks play any of them in the playoffs. Don't want them anywere near the top of the draft either.
Yeah that's a good point. Would love an easy 1st round opponent.

Old
02-14-2013, 10:36 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Quote:
Do you have some sort of doctorate in psychology I'm unaware of where you can see a smile on TV and determine exactly what the feelings are behind it?

As far as I know all teams are happy with winning, even in the regular season. If you watch closely enough you'll even see Canucks players smile too when they win.

They made some weird trades under Sutter undeniably, but they don't suck by any objective standards. If you want to chant 'flames suck' at a game or whatever that's cool, but I don't agree with your bizarre 'smiling' analysis.
A couple a years ago, Friedman reported that apparently the team would always get way too high after a win and way too low after a loss. They're a team that doesn't appear to be able to control their emotions and if starts with their captain.

Doesn't take a doctorate to see that.

Chanting flames suck and what not at games isn't my thing. But I do like watching them lose more than win.

Old
02-15-2013, 12:03 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
Yeah that's a good point. Would love an easy 1st round opponent.
Would help with the travel too if you're matched up against a divisional opponent.

Old
02-15-2013, 12:15 AM
roach9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
Would help with the travel too if you're matched up against a divisional opponent.
Actually travel is better if we play a California team, assuming you mean we play Minny or Colorado (yes, Colorado might be "technically" closer in distance, but don't forget the elevation factor).

Old
02-15-2013, 12:20 AM
Wisp

Quote:
What an idiot. The first 10 games this year is like the first 20 of a normal season.
He's actually playing with human psychology. Do-overs are motivating. It's like cheating on your diet, "I was bad with my diet yesterday, but starting to do I'll do better."

Old
02-15-2013, 12:20 AM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

All the Californian teams would be a pain to play against. No thanks.

Old
02-15-2013, 12:21 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach9 View Post
Actually travel is better if we play a California team, assuming you mean we play Minny or Colorado (yes, Colorado might be "technically" closer in distance, but don't forget the elevation factor).
Ideally we play Edmonton or Calgary rather than Colorado or Minny as they're closer, but true, travel-wise a date with a California opponent would also be beneficial nonetheless - even if you are playing bigger, more physical teams in exchange for less travel. LA had 2 opponents in time zones close by (Vancouver and Phoenix), and the one opponent that was further away (St. Louis) they swept.

Old
02-15-2013, 12:24 AM
canuck4life16

vCash: 50
can we hope that the avs somehow make the playoff since we absolutely own them.....could sweep them revenge for the series in 2001

Old
02-15-2013, 01:34 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Eugene Melnyk is such a freaking mouthpiece ... it is times like this I'm glad the Aquilinis basically let hockey ops do its job, and stay away from the press.

Old
02-15-2013, 01:38 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
Eugene Melnyk is such a freaking mouthpiece ...
Not that I'm a fan of Matt Cooke....but I really wonder how Melynk felt when Hossa took out the eye of Berard? Did he call for a lifetime ban on him?

Old
02-15-2013, 01:52 PM
Zombotron
WD-57

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach9 View Post
I'm a not-serious advocate for a 12-team Western Conference where we're in a Northwest Division consisting of Vancouver, San Jose, and the hypothetical future Seattle/Portland teams. (Chicago and St. Louis would have been in this hypothetical Western Conference but it would have broken the vaunted Chicago - Detroit rivarly.)

Let the East figure things out for themselves.

Old
02-15-2013, 02:00 PM
nameless1
HF's Poet Laureate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Not that I'm a fan of Matt Cooke....but I really wonder how Melynk felt when Hossa took out the eye of Berard? Did he call for a lifetime ban on him?
You have to understand his anger.
He knows the season just went down the drain, and he is paying someone 7 million to be on the IR.
I think most Sens fans feel the same way.
Matt Cooke is just an easy target.
At least he is a hockey fan.

Old
02-15-2013, 02:24 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
Eugene Melnyk is such a freaking mouthpiece ... it is times like this I'm glad the Aquilinis basically let hockey ops do its job, and stay away from the press.
Maybe instead of attacking Cooke who is an easy target he could do something useful like pushing the NHL to institute mandatory Kevlar socks. Ottawa made a substantial financial invetsment in Karlsson and it is ridiculous that players don't protect themselves from skate blades.

Last edited by vanwest: 02-15-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Old
02-15-2013, 02:30 PM
Caspian30

vCash: 1157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Melynk bought the Sens in 2003

Hossa-Berard thing was 2000

Old
02-15-2013, 05:08 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

I totally understand that the Sens organization is pissed but the organization is coming off as complete whiners! I remember Sens fans (among others) getting on us when Gillis came out in the 1st round of 2011 complaining about the refs.... At least our owner didn't make a complete ass of himself in the media.

Old
02-15-2013, 05:30 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caspian30 View Post
Melynk bought the Sens in 2003

Hossa-Berard thing was 2000
Fair enough - I got my dates mixed up.

Closed Thread