HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Lang = 40 Points

Closed Thread

Old
12-16-2003, 07:06 PM
BCCHL inactive

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra
I'm sure he feels Iginla being nominated for the Hart was a complete joke.
Nice to see we have a mind-reader here.

Old
12-16-2003, 07:28 PM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
Nice to see we have a mind-reader here.
simple logic really.....

your position on Lang, and how it really doesnt matter what sort of season he is having becasue his team is nowhere near a playoff spot...would seem to apply to Iginla getting recognized for a great season even though his team finished a dozen or so points out of a playoff spot

Old
12-16-2003, 08:54 PM
ZombieMatt

I don't like to have to do it, but I can admit it when I'm wrong.

I thought Lang was a complete bum, and paying him anything was a stupid move...he has proved me wrong.

I say kudos to Lang for playing well. As for the other component of the argument...the guy is playing amazing, its not his fault his team is performing poorly. One player can only do so much in the NHL.

Old
12-17-2003, 12:24 AM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra
simple logic really.....

your position on Lang, and how it really doesnt matter what sort of season he is having becasue his team is nowhere near a playoff spot...would seem to apply to Iginla getting recognized for a great season even though his team finished a dozen or so points out of a playoff spot
Your forgetting one thing:

Lang - Euro - American Based Team
Iginla - Canadian - Canadian Based Team

It's most likely okay to overlook the minor detail that Iginla missed the playoffs when he a great year, but Euros have to be perfect.

Old
12-17-2003, 01:37 AM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number67
Your forgetting one thing:

Lang - Euro - American Based Team
Iginla - Canadian - Canadian Based Team
Dude....I AM European (Dutch-Canadian...soon anyway, the citizenship is just a formality of $250). Why would I have an anti-European bias?

Old
12-17-2003, 01:53 AM
GoRyanMalone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
Dude....I AM European (Dutch-Canadian...soon anyway, the citizenship is just a formality of $250). Why would I have an anti-European bias?
Stop testing us, we can't read minds.

But, yeah, that first remark was very boring. Then, defending it.. Next time, just zip it.

Old
12-17-2003, 02:32 AM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRyanMalone
Stop testing us, we can't read minds.
Could have fooled me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRyanMalone
Next time, just zip it.
No offence, but I can take care of myself on these boards.

Old
12-17-2003, 02:53 AM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
Maybe you can answer a couple questions for us.....

Do you feel like the Iginla for Hart nomination was legit?

what makes that situation significantly different than Langs?

Old
12-17-2003, 03:08 AM
Plan 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
It has everything to do with the thread. It is pointless to praise a 4-point night and a good individual season so far when the team is doing poorly.

Giving Pavel Datsyuk kudos is different...his team is in first place.
That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Old
12-17-2003, 03:12 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
It has everything to do with the thread. It is pointless to praise a 4-point night and a good individual season so far when the team is doing poorly.

Giving Pavel Datsyuk kudos is different...his team is in first place.

PS: I find your trolling un-necessary and un-deserving of a response.
What a putz...
1. Its not pointless to praise a 4 point night when its a 2 pt night for the team.
2. Its not pointless to praise a great individual season when a player is consistantly showing leadership on a team that is trying to straighten out.
3. The Capitals have faces arguably the hardest schedule in the NHL. 22 of the first 31 games against teams over .500 and the most road games in the league so far. And with that Lang leads the NHL in scoring?
The schedule will even out and the Capitals may well get back in the playoff race. Lang has a point in 27 of the Caps 31 games and in all of their wins.
4. The Caps have the best record in their division in divisional play. They made up 16 pts on tampa bay last year from January on. The Caps are currently 14 pts behind the division lead and 9 pts out of the playoffs. They are far from out of it and your position is that his contribution is pointless is lost.

Lastly, the way you phrase your post you make it sound like Lang is a selfish player just out for himself. Thats the furthest from the truth. He is a team player. A player that has been capable for a long time being among the league's elite players, but quietly accepted a 2nd tier role on his teams. Now he has the chance to be the best player on his team and he is rising to the occasion.

Should the Caps make the playoffs you could be looking at the league MVP.

Old
12-17-2003, 03:43 AM
PEli*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koltsov71
That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
I think I'll...7th that.

Lang has improved his production immensely. After being a scapegoat last year and getting the same questions early this year, he's proving people wrong. Good for him.

Despite his team's place in the standings, he's doing his part to improve himself and help the team win. That matters to Capital fans and trying to discredit the guy's hard work because his team doesn't win is petty.

Old
12-17-2003, 08:33 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Lang is capable of scoring a lot of puntos. The year the Pens went to the EC Finals, he played on a like with Martin Straka and Alex Kovalev... those guys bagged over 90 pts each and Langer got 80. When paired with the right kinds of linemates he's a very effective player.

Old
12-17-2003, 11:51 AM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy
Lang is capable of scoring a lot of puntos. The year the Pens went to the EC Finals, he played on a like with Martin Straka and Alex Kovalev... those guys bagged over 90 pts each and Langer got 80. When paired with the right kinds of linemates he's a very effective player.
Yeah but even then he wasnt the highest scoring player on his line. Right now he is the highest scoring player in the league.

Old
12-17-2003, 12:08 PM
You're Retarded

vCash:
Quote:
Yeah but even then he wasnt the highest scoring player on his line. Right now he is the highest scoring player in the league.
4 points playing with Brian Willsie, Kip Miller, and then Bates Battaglia last night

Old
12-17-2003, 01:05 PM
txpd

Quote:
I agree. I think Lang has had the ability all along to be more than he was. but realistically, how was that going to come out? His career blossomed in Pittsburgh on a 2nd line where he was the 3rd player.
In Washington he was a secondary player on a top power play unit and top player on a second line where Jagr was on the 1st line and the primary player on the pp along with Gonchar.

Now he runs the power play himself. He gets points on almost every power play goal by virtue of that. He earned that spot by out playing Jagr at a key time. That give him the chance to be the best player on his team, if he could handle the role. First time in his career that he had that chance.

Jagr has closed in, but has not challenged him for the team lead yet. Ironically, Jagr goes down for an injury and Lang puts up a 4 pts game after he left.

Lang is a team player. He talks about the team and about winning and about his mates. He is a positive, happy player. Hanlon is trying to build a happy and positive environment. In short a Lang environment.

I think it would be great for the caps to own up to that

Old
12-17-2003, 02:40 PM
RedRumNJD

Still makes me sick that the Pens let him walk for nothing. I knew he had serious talent when he played for Pittsburgh. Unfortunately, the year he became a free agent, I believe he hurt his hand a few weeks before the trade deadline, making him damaged goods and therefore practically untradeable.

Good to see him lighting it up in Washington, though, and all the while proving the critics wrong.

I sure do miss the days of the Straka-Lang-Kovalev line. A lot has changed since then.

Old
12-17-2003, 03:13 PM
Missionhockey

[QUOTE=Mothra]Do you feel like the Iginla for Hart nomination was legit?
QUOTE]
I don't. I think every league wide MVP award should be given to players on winning teams. Somebody who keeps their team in the game for practically the whole season, is clutch, and makes their team better, like Yzerman in his hayday. I also thought that the fact A-Rod won the MVP in MLB was a joke.

Old
12-17-2003, 05:46 PM
kira

Send a message via ICQ to kira Send a message via Yahoo to kira
I may not have a whole lot of power here, but as a mod, I am going to tell you all to back down and let cooler heads prevail. Please and thank you.

Now, as far as Lang putting up 40 points for a team that seems to be going nowhere is quite an accomplishment, and Caps fans deserve to be as happy as they can be. And yes, I am saying this knowing that someone else tied him tonight, and they are running neck and neck. But you Caps fans deserve to be happy about something - Lord knows you haven't really had much to celebrate so far this season have you?

And Nash putting up 19 goals for a team that is struggling is no mean feat either...though he got tied tonight too - and by the same person! How coincidental... (chuckling evilly)

Needless to say, you guys don't need to be slamming each other here. I thought you were above that stuff.

Old
12-17-2003, 07:30 PM
st_roland

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEli
I think I'll...7th that.
*laughs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
Doesn't help much when his team is nowhere close to a playoff spot.

Right winning games and scoring goals doesnt matter

Old
12-17-2003, 09:40 PM
Evilo

vCash: 432
The worst part is that a few years ago, some poster here had an argument with me saying Lang was a "fringe NHLer".
I'm still laughing every week about it.

Closed Thread