HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Islanders @ Rangers 2/14/13 - "The Lincoln Tunnel"

View Poll Results: Three Stars of the Game?
Brad Xanax 7 6.67%
Rick Nash 23 21.90%
Carl Hagelin 85 80.95%
Ryan Callahan 14 13.33%
Arron Asham 1 0.95%
Darroll Powe 1 0.95%
Jeff Halpern 4 3.81%
Marian Gaborik 19 18.10%
Taylor Pyatt 0 0%
Derek Stepan 7 6.67%
Brian "Free him now" Boyle 27 25.71%
Anton Stralman 1 0.95%
Martin Biron 8 7.62%
The Lincoln Tunnel 14 13.33%
Henrik Lundqvist, sexy as always 37 35.24%
Dan Girardi 7 6.67%
Ryan McDonagh 5 4.76%
Matt Gilroy 3 2.86%
Michael Del Zotto 3 2.86%
Marc Staal 0 0%
JT Miller 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-14-2013, 10:09 PM
  #176
Doctor King Schultz
Garian Maborik
 
Doctor King Schultz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PromNite View Post
Would it be that difficult for Biron to make a ******* EFFORT in the shootout?
yes.

Doctor King Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:09 PM
  #177
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 17,235
vCash: 500
Can someone explain to me why Torts wouldn't put Hank in the shootout? There's enough time for him to stretch. I understand he'd still be cold. However a cold Lundqvist is infinitely better than Biron in the shootout. I really hope it's not for some BS reasons like Torts doesn't want to upset him or something.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:10 PM
  #178
NYRSchrute217
Registered User
 
NYRSchrute217's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
Weren't they absolutely terrible coming out of the gate last year too?
We're not terrible nor were we last year. However, the intensity was there more last year than right now, and even so I expect it to still be here. It's infuriating that a team with a great goalie and great defense keeps blowing these leads. Not panicking, just trying to get my point across.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
They were 2 points ahead of where we are now. At this point they were in the midst of a 7 game winning streak. If this team wakes the **** up they should go on a run. They have an easy schedule. Though the Isles were one of the easiest teams in this stretch. Really disappointing to blow this game.
Right, exactly. And a 2 goal lead makes it even more frustrating. There's a break in the schedule but we shouldn't stop playing after 20 minutes (tonight) or after 50 (Boston). 60 minute efforts and I'm sure we won't be talking about blown leads.

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:11 PM
  #179
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!
 
Florida Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tampa, FLA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,000
vCash: 500
Biron needs to close his legs.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:12 PM
  #180
SA16
Two by two...
 
SA16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 1,949
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Can someone explain to me why Torts wouldn't put Hank in the shootout? There's enough time for him to stretch. I understand he'd still be cold. However a cold Lundqvist is infinitely better than Biron in the shootout. I really hope it's not for some BS reasons like Torts doesn't want to upset him or something.
I am sure the reason as the same as why baseball managers don't use their closer in the 9th in a tie game on the road. The typical reason is basically "it's just not something you do"

SA16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:13 PM
  #181
Jabroni
The People's Champ
 
Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,587
vCash: 500
A team can't expect to win a hockey game after coming out flat and uninspired in the beginning of the 2nd period.

They dominated the entire 1st period, was up 2-0 and should've continued to apply pressure right out of the gate and bury them.

It has been said before: we lack a "killer instinct". The players should've been like dogs on raw meat and forechecking hard to close out the game.

And the PP must be fixed. If we had an semblance of a mid-range PP (15-20th place), we would actually gain momentum and potentially score a goal. Instead, it sucks the life out of the team, the building and we get scored on.

This was the same thing that got us in trouble against Boston: they are up 3-1 with a few minutes left to go int he game and instead of finishing the game by attempting to score on the empty net, they are collapsing in the zone. Boston puts on the pressure and scores 2 goals to tie it.

We need that "killer instinct". This, along with the embarrassment of a PP, is why we lost tonight and almost lost in Boston.

__________________
Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:16 PM
  #182
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 17,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA16 View Post
I am sure the reason as the same as why baseball managers don't use their closer in the 9th in a tie game on the road. The typical reason is basically "it's just not something you do"
Ah, that's right up there with the idiocy of "you don't lose your job due to injury". Coaches have one ****ing job, to win games. They're more worried about the feelings of multimillionaires. No one in the business world cares about the feelings of a 30k player and fire them if it means improving the business.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:24 PM
  #183
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh
 
Burlington Bomb 26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Green Mountain State
Country: United States
Posts: 16,615
vCash: 500
hagelin
gaborik


thats it

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:27 PM
  #184
Glen Sathers Cigar
Sather = Evil Genius
 
Glen Sathers Cigar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,331
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Ah, that's right up there with the idiocy of "you don't lose your job due to injury". Coaches have one ****ing job, to win games. They're more worried about the feelings of multimillionaires. No one in the business world cares about the feelings of a 30k player and fire them if it means improving the business.
Would you say it's a good idea to pull Biron with 2 mins left in OT and the Isles on a PP? That's the same logic that you're using. It doesn't make sense to put a cold goalie into a shootout. No matter how much better at it Lundqvist is than Biron. It just doesn't make sense, not now, not ever.

Glen Sathers Cigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:29 PM
  #185
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Can someone explain to me why Torts wouldn't put Hank in the shootout? There's enough time for him to stretch. I understand he'd still be cold. However a cold Lundqvist is infinitely better than Biron in the shootout. I really hope it's not for some BS reasons like Torts doesn't want to upset him or something.
I'd take my chances with a goalie that played 65 minutes and has a read on the shooters rather than one who was on the bench and hadn't practiced since warmups.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:30 PM
  #186
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World
 
CM Lundqvist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 8,573
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamboner View Post
Where did I say elite? I'm talking about a 2nd Line Center that could "slum it" on the 3rd line when Stepan is going good, or give another look for the 1st line when Richards is dropping blind passes like Mario Kart banana peels. They're not giving those players away, but that's where I'd be looking before I'd look at another defenseman.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:33 PM
  #187
PromNite
Armed Android
 
PromNite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Tampa, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 6,719
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Can someone explain to me why Torts wouldn't put Hank in the shootout? There's enough time for him to stretch. I understand he'd still be cold. However a cold Lundqvist is infinitely better than Biron in the shootout. I really hope it's not for some BS reasons like Torts doesn't want to upset him or something.
A head coach's job is quite a melange of duties. If he knows that Marty is gonna be a ***** and whine all season because he pulled him for Hank in the Isles game, he has to leave him in to fail on his own. It's sorta like being a parent and a manager together.

That said, I'm pretty sure I remember Renney pulling Weekes or whoever for Hank right before the shootout, and I was at the game... so it would be here in Tampa. It was 2005-ish... so it does happen.

Unless I had too much to drink and don't remember it correctly. Which is certainly a possibility.

__________________


Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:36 PM
  #188
rick063092
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 39
vCash: 500
At least John Amirante is back....and almost as bad as our powerplay is, the 2013 NY Rangers calendar which was given away tonight is even worse..Not one Ranger pictured, above almost every month is an add for Foxwoods..can't make it up...

rick063092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:37 PM
  #189
WPGNYRFan
Registered User
 
WPGNYRFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,244
vCash: 1700
I enjoyed about 10 minutes of this game. Wish I had stopped watching after that.

WPGNYRFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:37 PM
  #190
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA16 View Post
I am sure the reason as the same as why baseball managers don't use their closer in the 9th in a tie game on the road. The typical reason is basically "it's just not something you do"
Lol. So true.

Its: "tradition"!

Forget logic!

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:40 PM
  #191
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PromNite View Post
A head coach's job is quite a melange of duties. If he knows that Marty is gonna be a ***** and whine all season because he pulled him for Hank in the Isles game, he has to leave him in to fail on his own. It's sorta like being a parent and a manager together.

That said, I'm pretty sure I remember Renney pulling Weekes or whoever for Hank right before the shootout, and I was at the game... so it would be here in Tampa. It was 2005-ish... so it does happen.

Unless I had too much to drink and don't remember it correctly. Which is certainly a possibility.
Don't think it was the alcohol. I vaguely recall something like that, as well.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:43 PM
  #192
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 17,235
vCash: 500
None of you guys can convince me that even a cold Lundqvist is not infinitely better than Biron. Seriously, if you shoot 5 hole on him it's a guaranteed goal. Also, if he *****es, so what? These people are adults.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:45 PM
  #193
Killem Dafoe
Moderator
modus operandi
 
Killem Dafoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Land of Bad Drivers
Country: United States
Posts: 15,317
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
None of you guys can convince me that even a cold Lundqvist is not infinitely better than Biron. Seriously, if you shoot 5 hole on him it's a guaranteed goal. Also, if he *****es, so what? These people are adults.
Thing is. If Torts put Hank in for the SO and we lost. People would be ******** all over hank right now. It's just about letting whats is done be

done. Biron started and played the full game, leave him in to win it or lose it. We also could have scored goals in the SO and won the game and

made up for Biron's God awful **** fest of a goal allowed but we didn't. Now we move to the next game.


Last edited by Killem Dafoe: 02-14-2013 at 10:47 PM. Reason: spaced my ish out for easier reading
Killem Dafoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:45 PM
  #194
OverTheCap
Registered User
 
OverTheCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9,624
vCash: 500
I think the Rangers actually faced a cold goalie in the shootout during the 2005-06 season, and he ended up getting injured. Against Buffalo or Ottawa maybe? I can't remember.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:48 PM
  #195
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 17,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
I think the Rangers actually faced a cold goalie in the shootout during the 2005-06 season, and he ended up getting injured. Against Buffalo or Ottawa maybe? I can't remember.
I think Miller got injured and Biron went in for Buffalo. The Rangers scored on all 3 attempts. If it was Biron, it has more to do with the fact that he sucks. If I remember correctly all 3 were nice attempts though, not 5 holes.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:50 PM
  #196
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 17,235
vCash: 500
BTW, I bumped the Hagelin thread. How about some love for an amazing player? Can be either here or there. I feel like he's not getting enough love.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:54 PM
  #197
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,502
vCash: 500
There are literally no takeaways from this game. Like any Rangers/Islanders game.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:55 PM
  #198
17futurecap
Registered User
 
17futurecap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 6,773
vCash: 500
Just got in from the game, what a pleasure it was to watch Hagelin tonight, guy was all over the place. Biron had some big saves, a softie, and no chance in the SO, don't really blame him for the loss.

Nice game by Boyle, Richards was horrendous, and I know they scored on a power play, but that continues to be terrible.

Really thought Nash would bury the winner in the 3rd or in ot, but never came, oh well. Long wait until Sunday for the next game.

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:56 PM
  #199
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 17,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
There are literally no takeaways from this game. Like any Rangers/Islanders game.
What does this post mean?

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:57 PM
  #200
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 14,464
vCash: 500
A lot of you guys are asking for too much. Seriously.

Did you forget that there was a lockout?

Did you forget that there was basically no camp?

Take a look around the league -- almost everybody is slumping individually. Giroux, Iginla, etc.

These guys wont hit midseason form until right before the playoffs.

They've had a really tough schedule to start the season. Good defensive teams.

I'll wait until the postseason until I burn Richards at the stake. And that's only if he warrants it.

And Boyle getting 17 mins of ice time -- OT or not -- is just a sad joke.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:22 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.