HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - Part XXXII - Kessel Run Edition

Closed Thread

Old
02-14-2013, 09:46 PM
Diamonddog01

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonlee View Post
Oh god, let's hope this team doesn't revert to trying to win every game 2-1 again.

I think the Raymond / Schroeder / Hansen line would offer some intriguing possibilities in the post season. Great speed, some offensive upside, and all three of those players are above average defensively.

Sure they won't be the most physical line in the world, but their speed could create some significant mismatches in a 7 game series against other teams third D pairing.
The playoffs are a lot tighter and speed doesn't confer the same advantage it does during the regular season. That line would be risky in the playoffs imo.

Old
02-14-2013, 09:50 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post
Not sure who they'd target, but apart from Cullen another player I think that could be had for cheap would be Boyd Gordon (already mentioned I think), as well as Matt Hendricks.
I would prefer to see Gillis target a 2nd line calibre centreman. A guy like Weiss, Stastny, O'Reilly, Bolland, Ribeiro, Plekanec, Grabovzki etc...

If their salary forces Booth to follow Ballard out the door, so be it.

Old
02-14-2013, 09:56 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
I would prefer to see Gillis target a 2nd line calibre centreman. A guy like Weiss, Stastny, O'Reilly, Bolland, Ribeiro, Plekanec, Grabovzki etc...

No interest in Ribeiro at all.

02-14-2013, 09:57 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Just like it made no sense last year to replace Hodgson with Palhson.

It's how our team is build, how AV coaches and utilizes our players. The new player might not replace Schroeder (who admittedly is much better defensively than Hodgson) but they could trade for a guy like Gordon and use him as a winger on the 4th as they did Malhotra.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind Gillis will target a LH centre who is good at faceoffs.
I am fine with that scenario. Turn the fourth line into a very good checking line. I'm just convinced we need 3 scoring lines.

Old
02-14-2013, 10:05 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
Quote:

ROR is the pick of the litter. A 22 year old who plays a strong 2 way game (highest QoC on the Avs) with 3 years NHL experience under his belt is worth a lot.

Old
02-14-2013, 10:05 PM
Diamonddog01

Quote:

Weiss could be a sexy return in a Florida deal, there's no denying that. He's an impending UFA so would make sense for cap purposes and is also good on draws as well...

Old
02-14-2013, 10:09 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I am fine with that scenario. Turn the fourth line into a very good checking line. I'm just convinced we need 3 scoring lines.
Ribeiro has been close to a PPG player over the last 6 years and is cruising along again with 17P in 14GP. If we want to take some pressure off the twins, have a 2nd capable PP unit, a playmaker for the 2nd line or go with a potent 3 line attack, Ribeiro would be a great fit.

One of the league's more underrated players. Somehow he's been labeled as soft - which is a poor way to describe his game.

Old
02-14-2013, 10:16 PM
Catamarca Livin

Quote:
Weiss could be a sexy return in a Florida deal, there's no denying that. He's an impending UFA so would make sense for cap purposes and is also good on draws as well...
I agree with this. Prefer Weiss than overpaying for ROR in two different ways. He has a consistent history. You never know Scheoder might end up a good in the end as ROR.

Old
02-14-2013, 10:23 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Ribeiro has been close to a PPG player over the last 6 years and is cruising along again with 17P in 14GP. If we want to take some pressure off the twins, have a 2nd capable PP unit, a playmaker for the 2nd line or go with a potent 3 line attack, Ribeiro would be a great fit.

One of the league's more underrated players. Somehow he's been labeled as soft - which is a poor way to describe his game.
I just don't like him. I don't like the way he plays the game, and yes he is a soft player. Hes talented, but like Semin I just don't want him here.

Old
02-14-2013, 10:30 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
I just don't like him. I don't like the way he plays the game, and yes he is a soft player. Hes talented, but like Semin I just don't want him here.
He's more than just talented, he's productive. That's all that really matters.

Nobody likes Ribeiro.

Old
02-14-2013, 10:32 PM
The Big Foot

Gotta figure O'Reilly has quite a bit more trade value than a guy like Luongo at this point - meaning, if we expect to get top assets back in a potential Lou deal, better be prepared to ante up to bring in a guy at ROR's level. I'd guess it would take something like Raymond/Hansen+Tanev/Corrado at the very least to get Colorado interested. He's looking like a legit top 6 player and would probably be a great fit on the Canucks.

Old
02-14-2013, 10:38 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Foot View Post
Gotta figure O'Reilly has quite a bit more trade value than a guy like Luongo at this point - meaning, if we expect to get top assets back in a potential Lou deal, better be prepared to ante up to bring in a guy at ROR's level. I'd guess it would take something like Raymond/Hansen+Tanev/Corrado at the very least to get Colorado interested. He's looking like a legit top 6 player and would probably be a great fit on the Canucks.
Gillis wouldn't give the Avs Schneider so Sherman won't do him any favours by giving us O'Reilly...

Old
02-14-2013, 10:39 PM
Edler Von Gud

Send a message via MSN to Edler Von Gud
Quote:
Rather just offer sheet him...if you piss off a divison rival so what not like we make many deals with them anyway. I'm actually shocked no team has gone this route yet.

Old
02-14-2013, 10:40 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
I like what he brings to the table as far as a hockey player goes; but I'm not sure Ryan O'Hodgson would be happy with a third line C role.

Maybe Gillis should check with Ryan's Dad before making a real offer.

Old
02-14-2013, 10:42 PM
Edler Von Gud

Quote:
Gillis wouldn't give the Avs Schneider so Sherman won't do him any favours by giving us O'Reilly...
which is why if the canucks wanted him they would have to do an offer sheet. Don't see Reilly staying in the west in a trade.

Old
02-14-2013, 10:43 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edler Von Gud View Post
Rather just offer sheet him...if you piss off a divison rival so what not like we make many deals with them anyway. I'm actually shocked no team has gone this route yet.
nobody has OS'ed him because if he plays 6 games this year he becomes an FA at the end of the season apparently

Old
02-14-2013, 10:46 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winroba View Post
nobody has OS'ed him because if he plays 6 games this year he becomes an FA at the end of the season apparently
Really? That sounds odd.

Anyways, it would take a serious D-bag to sign an offer sheet with a team only to leave them after
a few months.

Old
Edler Von Gud

Quote:
How does that work? I assume teams would give him a multi year offer sheet in that case.

Old
Diamonddog01

Quote:
But how will he play those 6 games without a contract? He hasn't been offersheeted as just about all teams match. It's an incredibly unsuccessful way to land a player.

Another reason might be that this is a deep draft, and so teams aren't willing to give up their 2013 1st. As nicely as he'd look on our 3rd line, there is no way the Canucks are getting ROR from a division rival imo.

Now a Luongo for Weiss & a 1st, and salary is a deal I'd be looking at.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Raymond - Weiss - Booth
Higgins - Kesler - Burrows (this is an elite checking line)
Weise - Lapierre - Hansen
Schroeder

is a nice looking group for a playoff run.

Last edited by Diamonddog01: 02-14-2013 at 11:45 PM.
Old
02-14-2013, 10:47 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Not sure why this "soft" tag is attached to Ribiero...he plays physical, he's chippy and he gets his nose dirty.

Old
02-14-2013, 11:02 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edler Von Gud View Post
How does that work? I assume teams would give him a multi year offer sheet in that case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
Really? That sounds odd.

Anyways, it would take a serious D-bag to sign an offer sheet with a team only to leave them after
a few months.
point was, he can just wait it out or sign a 1 yr OS and then get in his 6 games and then become a FA, it was on hotstove I think that I heard it, I'll try and dig it up

edit: if he plays 6 games this season, he gets to go to arbitration this summer, so if he gets OS'd or signs a 1 yr deal, it's not really a long term solution for anyone

Old
02-14-2013, 11:04 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
All this should have been sorted out in the off-season! The club needs another twelve games to admit Malhotra can't see well enough to play? This is BS or incompetence.

This exposes further Gillis' bizarre actions around the center position last off-season. He essentially came to play with one center being a known commodity! After Sedin (who hasn't scored a goal this season) there were an injured Kesler, a bulked up Lapierre and a disabled Malhotra. Why?

Gillis watched the entire off-season go by! He must have been given a mulligan by Aquilini for last season's play-offs.

I do not think a guy like Gillis will suddenly morph into a trading GM. He won't add anyone now, or at the deadline. So far, Gillis response to being ousted by the eighth seed in last season's playoffs has been to downgrade Salo to Garrison and extend the Coach!

Ottawa, Washington, Florida and Columbus must be trying to make deals right now. Is Gillis?
This reads more like a political smear campaign advertisement than a rant.

Old
02-14-2013, 11:07 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonlee View Post
Oh god, let's hope this team doesn't revert to trying to win every game 2-1 again.

I think the Raymond / Schroeder / Hansen line would offer some intriguing possibilities in the post season. Great speed, some offensive upside, and all three of those players are above average defensively.

Sure they won't be the most physical line in the world, but their speed could create some significant mismatches in a 7 game series against other teams third D pairing.
What the hell are you talking about? That was the year we scored the most goals in the league, had the #1 PP in the league and won the President's trophy!

Old
02-14-2013, 11:27 PM
Canucker

Quote:
point was, he can just wait it out or sign a 1 yr OS and then get in his 6 games and then become a FA, it was on hotstove I think that I heard it, I'll try and dig it up

edit: if he plays 6 games this season, he gets to go to arbitration this summer, so if he gets OS'd or signs a 1 yr deal, it's not really a long term solution for anyone
No GM is stupid enough to offer sheet him for a 1 year deal.

Old
02-14-2013, 11:31 PM
BrandonL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
What the hell are you talking about? That was the year we scored the most goals in the league, had the #1 PP in the league and won the President's trophy!
My comment was more in reference to the Sammi Pahlsson acquisition last season, and the way the team was coached down the stretch and into the playoffs.

Although Schroeder and Hodgson are completely different players, I would hate to go down this road again. I would rather give someone with offensive upside (like Schroeder) the opportunity to center the third line, then try to acquire a "shut down" centreman for the third line and hinder our secondary scoring.

Closed Thread