HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Ruff Didn't Score Enough: Trades 'n' FAs II

Closed Thread

Old
02-14-2013, 10:24 PM
tsujimoto74

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
I agree. Truthfully, I'd rather keep all the players mentioned as the primaries in potential O'Reilly trades (Ennis, Girgensons, Armia, Sekera, Pysyk, McNabb, etc.) and give up the picks. I think all those guys have talent and can be a part of the future. For most of those guys, we already know they aren't complete flops, which we can't predict with draft choices.
If we're giving up a prospect of Armia's caliber, then the quality of the roster player we send back is going to drop. Armia + Sekera is a LOT to give up.

Old
02-14-2013, 10:29 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
If we're giving up a prospect of Armia's caliber, then the quality of the roster player we send back is going to drop. Armia + Sekera is a LOT to give up.
I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Old
02-14-2013, 10:51 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodHatesBuffalo View Post
ROR: 26pts, 26pts, 55 pts. He has not proven he can be a 60 point center, and certainly has not proven to be able to play at that level consistently. So he put up career numbers in his contract season? Sounds like Drew Stafford, and every other NHL'er to be honest. Grigorenko's ceiling is that of Spezza and Malkin. We're talking face of the franchise, elite talent. I'm sorry I'm not as fickle as the average fan and allow myself a bit more foresight.

"Grigorenko has proven nothing" ..Yeah bud, most 18 year olds would be in that category..
you may have set a record for hypocrisy per word

Old
02-14-2013, 11:21 PM
CaptPantalones

I love how the fanbase in general is getting wrapped up in this idea 9Radio, boards etc..)

just going to make it hurt that much more when he ends up with the Leafs lol

Old
02-14-2013, 11:30 PM
Have My Baby Pierre

There are a lot of Leafs rumors spreading about them being involved with ROR, but let's be honest..the media always tries to spin the Leafs being involved in every deal because it creates the most buzz and is good for ratings.

If the Leafs do end up getting him without giving up Gardiner, Reilly, or Kadri then I'll have to give Darcy a big facepalm though.

Old
02-14-2013, 11:32 PM
kenfury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
We don't have a contending team, I want to save our picks especially in a draft such as this one. This team has far to many holes and is already in to big of a rut to make any type of splash.
Which is why I would like to trade picks from this year and 2014 for players drafted from 2007 to 2010ish. We have a bunch of players 20 to 23 coming up and we should do everything to maximize their utility and fill the holes with young useful players. Focus on 2014 to 2018 as our window and move pieces to make it happen.

Old
02-15-2013, 08:26 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
Yeah, I thought it was a bit much.

I'm not a fan of Armia but a lot of avs fans like this Sekera fella and I honestly haven't been paying much attention to him. How good is he? Ennis + Sekera seems like a deal most fans like but I'm not sure.
If Buffalo offered Colorado Ennis + Sekera, Colorado should take it and RUN. They'd be getting a legitimate Top 4 D (top 2 a majority of the time) and Top 6 F.

Old
02-15-2013, 09:58 AM
Blitz
With the #2 pick...

Just curious about a general concensus among the fanbase... Suppose something goes horrbly wrong and RoR is not wearing Blue and Gold when this all shakes out - Who, if any of these guys do you think would be the 'next best fit' for what we're missing (ie; a 2-way def. centre & facoff guy who is not a total plug)? I tried to keep the list to guys that seem to be attainable without horribly overpaying....

C Lars Eller - MTL - 23 y.o - 6'2" 209lbs. - 46.7% FO (46.6% in 2012)
C Marcel Goc - FLA - 29 y.o. - 6'1" 205lbs. - 47.7% FO (51.6% n 2012)
C Brian Boyle - NYR - 28 y.o. - 6'7" 244lbs. - 53.4% FO (51.8% in 2012)
C Derick Brassard - CBJ -25 y.o. - 6'1" 202lbs. - 44.6% FO (45.1% in 2012)

Or a little less likely, but still a possibility...

C Kyle Brodziak - MIN - 28 y.o. - 6'2" 210lbs. - 52.6% FO (49.5% in 2012)
C Valtteri Filppula - DET - 28 y.o. - 6'0" 195ibs. - 54.9% FO (51.7% in 2012)

Or do we dole out more $$$ and potentially overpay with assets to try and pry a guy like Martin Hanzal (43.7% FO in 2013, 52.1 in 2012) out of the desert or Mike Fisher (50% FO - $4.5M cap hit) out of NSH - and no Fisher no longer has a NTC... it was limited through this season, but he declined to provide list.

We need help real bad, who would you like to see in Buffalo if not O'Reilly?

Thoughts???

Old
02-15-2013, 10:03 AM
SmurfInABlender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
His dad is complety correct, COL has done this time after time, worst management in the NHL.
As an Avs fan first and foremost I....have to agree fully with that. it has been really hard, How do you cheer for a team that you love when the management is horrible?

Well you start to follow another team on the side (Sabres) in hopes that eventually the entire front officeo n the Avs will be fired.

Also this was reported:

"The Buffalo Sabres are believed to be one of the teams interested in O’Reilly. It is unclear how serious talks between the Sabres and Avs have been and what GM Darcy Regier is willing to give up. Regier doesn’t seem to have interest in moving Mikhail Grigorenko, Cody Hodgson or Tyler Ennis. Marcus Foligno is someone the Avs may look at. Other teams looking at O’Reilly are the Maple Leafs, Panthers, Islanders, Flyers and Jets."

Um..... I have a hard time believing an O'Reilly deal gets done with Buffalo without any of those on the board.

Old
02-15-2013, 10:20 AM
sabresandcanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
If Buffalo offered Colorado Ennis + Sekera, Colorado should take it and RUN. They'd be getting a legitimate Top 4 D (top 2 a majority of the time) and Top 6 F.
Disagree....ROR brings intangibles that neither those two Buffalo players have and Sherman knows it. He can get more from another team and knows he has to hit this trade out of the park. He is not going to "settle" on two above average players. He will need top end talent, or the potential of top end talent coming back to pull the trigger.

Old
02-15-2013, 10:35 AM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
Just curious about a general concensus among the fanbase... Suppose something goes horrbly wrong and RoR is not wearing Blue and Gold when this all shakes out - Who, if any of these guys do you think would be the 'next best fit' for what we're missing (ie; a 2-way def. centre & facoff guy who is not a total plug)? I tried to keep the list to guys that seem to be attainable without horribly overpaying....

Or do we dole out more $$$ and potentially overpay with assets to try and pry a guy like Martin Hanzal (43.7% FO in 2013, 52.1 in 2012) out of the desert or Mike Fisher (50% FO - $4.5M cap hit) out of NSH - and no Fisher no longer has a NTC... it was limited through this season, but he declined to provide list.

Thoughts???
Fisher from Nashville ain't happenin. Not while Carrie Underwood is his wife.

Old
02-15-2013, 10:40 AM
threeVo

Brian Boyle would be best fit off that list but why

Old
02-15-2013, 10:43 AM
McTank

Ryan O'Reilly + Seth Jones = succesful season

Old
02-15-2013, 10:53 AM
GodHatesBuffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
you may have set a record for hypocrisy per word
I'm not following. your word count should increase so you can develop a thought or two.

Old
02-15-2013, 10:53 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresandcanucks View Post
Disagree....ROR brings intangibles that neither those two Buffalo players have and Sherman knows it. He can get more from another team and knows he has to hit this trade out of the park. He is not going to "settle" on two above average players. He will need top end talent, or the potential of top end talent coming back to pull the trigger.
Sekera + Ennis is hardly "settling". They trade a 2nd liner who doesn't even want to play for them and won't sign for a less defensive but more dynamic 2nd liner + a top 3 defenseman on a great contract. That'd be a pretty huge win for them, given the circumstances.

Old
02-15-2013, 11:07 AM
pomms
Rookie User

I know thefourthperiod.com is questionable at best but this is what they had to say on the situation. In regards to ROR

It's unclear how serious talks between the Sabres and Avs have gotten, and it's uncertain what Buffalo GM Darcy Regier is willing to give up, however he does not appear interested in parting with the likes of Mikhail Grigorenko, Cody Hodgson or Tyler Ennis, while though Marcus Foligno could be someone Colorado takes a look at.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/buf130214.html

i really dont think i would want to give up foligno..

Old
02-15-2013, 11:11 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresandcanucks View Post
Tyler Ennis was a top end prospect and still has the potential for top end talent (80pts). If Foligno wasn't having a rough start and Stafford could get the damn puck in the net, Ennis would probably be right around a point per game.

Plus a defenseman, which they sorely need, that would be the perfect #2 behind EJ? One that can play a shutdown role and has offensive skills?

Why the **** would they turn that down and instead aim for a top prospect which only MIGHT be better than Ennis or Sekera?

Old
02-15-2013, 11:19 AM
moltenlava26

The problem the Sabres have is they have too many "potential" top 6 forwards but only 3 legit players. Vanek, Pom, and CoHo.
I wouldn't trade Foligno because there is no one else like him in the organization. Grigs is a top 6 talent that fell to them in the draft.
IMO, everyone else should be in play. If somehow Darth could purge Suckford off the roster and get RoR, he will have earned that extension.
Ennis+ stafford+ D prospect for RoR. I like Sek but I'm more willing to say bye bye to ennis

Old
02-15-2013, 11:27 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
I think any interest in Stafford from COL would require the Sabres to eat some of his cap--and, to be clear, they may not have any interest in Stafford. I doubt Colorado wants Stafford right now for 2.5 more seasons at $10m. In that case, they should just pay O'Reilly what he wants on a short-term deal. But assuming there's some interest because they badly need a RH shot who has the ability to score goals, would people pull the trigger on:

Stafford (Sabres retain $1.0m of cap hit for remainder of the deal thru 2014-15)
Sekera
McNabb

for

O'Reilly
Pickard/Aittokallio

Old
02-15-2013, 11:36 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post

Thoughts???
I'd love to get Boyle. But he would be a 4th line, Paul Gustad type... not the real solution we need which is a top 6 shutdown guy.

No one else on that list is available

Old
02-15-2013, 11:36 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Brodziak is massively underrated

Old
02-15-2013, 11:37 AM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I think any interest in Stafford from COL would require the Sabres to eat some of his cap--and, to be clear, they may not have any interest in Stafford. I doubt Colorado wants Stafford right now for 2.5 more seasons at $10m. In that case, they should just pay O'Reilly what he wants on a short-term deal. But assuming there's some interest because they badly need a RH shot who has the ability to score goals, would people pull the trigger on:

Stafford (Sabres retain $1.0m of cap hit for remainder of the deal thru 2014-15)
Sekera
McNabb

for

O'Reilly
Pickard/Aittokallio
Giving up McNabb would be tough. Maybe switch with Pysyk?

Old
02-15-2013, 11:39 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:

Sekera
McNabb

for

O'Reilly
Pickard/Aittokallio
I'd take out McNabb and the goalie prospect, maybe. Stafford's had a slow start, but him + Sekera is still 2 good roster pieces, both of which fill a need for COL. I'd maybe add a pick or a lower end prospect to that after removing McNabb, but Sekera + Staff + our most NHL-ready D prospect seems a little steep to me.

Old
02-15-2013, 11:41 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:

Sekera
McNabb

for

O'Reilly
Pickard/Aittokallio
I want Oreilly more than anything. But I don't see how the Sabres can give up Sekera.

The free agent market for defensemen sucks this year...
Myers and Ehrhoff would be the only guys under contract
Weber and Brennan would be low level RFA who are depth at best.
Pysyk would be our own potential farm solution after the trade.

Leaves us in a really bad place... where our only hope is a trade, where we;d have to give up a quality asset just to get someone to replace Sekera...

I'd much rather give up the quality asset to get Oreilly

Old
02-15-2013, 11:51 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I want Oreilly more than anything. But I don't see how the Sabres can give up Sekera.

The free agent market for defensemen sucks this year...
Myers and Ehrhoff would be the only guys under contract
Weber and Brennan would be low level RFA who are depth at best.
Pysyk would be our own potential farm solution after the trade.

Leaves us in a really bad place... where our only hope is a trade, where we;d have to give up a quality asset just to get someone to replace Sekera...

I'd much rather give up the quality asset to get Oreilly
Not only that, but they'd have to find a top-6 RW in free agency--I hope they don't believe Armia is the answer at age 20--or move Vanek to RW, thereby breaking up Vanek-Poms. Looking at the RW UFA pool, Selanne is likely to retire; Iginla, Jagr and Alfie (if he plays) will look to go to Cup contenders if they don't stay with their teams; Semin, who we'll never sign if Darcy/Lindy are still here; which leaves us with: Perry, Horton, or Ryder. Perry is a pipe dream, because I just don't see him coming to a losing team in Buffalo when he can get big money in a nice city from a team closer to competing than we are. Horton will probably be overpaid, and he'd be a tough get, too, because he'll be in demand. So we may have to overpay for Michael Ryder.

The trade I proposed looks fine in a vacuum until you start considering how many holes it puts on the roster.

Closed Thread