HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Islanders @ Rangers 2/14/13 - "The Lincoln Tunnel"

View Poll Results: Three Stars of the Game?
Brad Xanax 7 6.67%
Rick Nash 23 21.90%
Carl Hagelin 85 80.95%
Ryan Callahan 14 13.33%
Arron Asham 1 0.95%
Darroll Powe 1 0.95%
Jeff Halpern 4 3.81%
Marian Gaborik 19 18.10%
Taylor Pyatt 0 0%
Derek Stepan 7 6.67%
Brian "Free him now" Boyle 27 25.71%
Anton Stralman 1 0.95%
Martin Biron 8 7.62%
The Lincoln Tunnel 14 13.33%
Henrik Lundqvist, sexy as always 37 35.24%
Dan Girardi 7 6.67%
Ryan McDonagh 5 4.76%
Matt Gilroy 3 2.86%
Michael Del Zotto 3 2.86%
Marc Staal 0 0%
JT Miller 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-14-2013, 11:58 PM
  #201
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 23,593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17futurecap View Post
Just got in from the game, what a pleasure it was to watch Hagelin tonight, guy was all over the place. Biron had some big saves, a softie, and no chance in the SO, don't really blame him for the loss.

Nice game by Boyle, Richards was horrendous, and I know they scored on a power play, but that continues to be terrible.

Really thought Nash would bury the winner in the 3rd or in ot, but never came, oh well. Long wait until Sunday for the next game.

SnowblindNYR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:59 PM
  #202
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 16,607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
What does this post mean?
It means that Rangers/Islanders games take on a life of their own. It doesn't matter how good or bad either team is playing or where they are in the standings. You can't take any info away from them, in terms of how the teams played, because they just aren't normal hockey games.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:59 PM
  #203
Killem Dafoe
Global Moderator
Hold my baby, man.
 
Killem Dafoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Land of Bad Drivers
Country: United States
Posts: 18,959
vCash: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
There are literally no takeaways from this game. Like any Rangers/Islanders game.
You can take away one thing from this game...


Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:00 AM
  #204
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 16,607
vCash: 500
I noticed the hair tuft last game. Just weird.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:01 AM
  #205
Killem Dafoe
Global Moderator
Hold my baby, man.
 
Killem Dafoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Land of Bad Drivers
Country: United States
Posts: 18,959
vCash: 123
It's adorable.

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:03 AM
  #206
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 23,593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
It means that Rangers/Islanders games take on a life of their own. It doesn't matter how good or bad either team is playing or where they are in the standings. You can't take any info away from them, in terms of how the teams played, because they just aren't normal hockey games.
If that were the case I think we'd be .500 against them. Before this game we won 8 in a row at home against them.

SnowblindNYR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:04 AM
  #207
ltsthinaz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Kingman, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 758
vCash: 500
Wouldn't put Lundqvist in fjust for the shootout. What if he pulls a groin and is out for three weeks?

Problem with this game was Rangers forgot after the first period that the Icelanders are almost an NHL team who likes nothing more than beating the Rangers. They're eminently beatable, but you actually do have to skate and shoot. And maybe even hit the net (Boyle and Del Zotto could've had hat tricks if they could hit the net once in awhile)

ltsthinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:09 AM
  #208
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 23,593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltsthinaz View Post
Wouldn't put Lundqvist in fjust for the shootout. What if he pulls a groin and is out for three weeks?

Problem with this game was Rangers forgot after the first period that the Icelanders are almost an NHL team who likes nothing more than beating the Rangers. They're eminently beatable, but you actually do have to skate and shoot. And maybe even hit the net (Boyle and Del Zotto could've had hat tricks if they could hit the net once in awhile)
Agreed for 25 minutes the Rangers seriously thought they were the 84 Oilers playing a bad ECHL team. They did nothing well. It's amazing the Islanders didn't score at least 5 goals. Then in the 3rd the Rangers played very well. Took the gas off the pedal in OT, but it's 4 on 4 and you can't really take away that much from it. We came back nicely in OT too. Not the worst game ever but this was the worst extended stretch of play since the Blackhawks game last year and that's the only game that is in the same zip code last year. The 3rd goal was a little fluky but the fact that we played 25 minutes like that with our back goalie and got a point is one of the few encouraging things to take away from this game.

SnowblindNYR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:10 AM
  #209
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 16,607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
If that were the case I think we'd be .500 against them. Before this game we won 8 in a row at home against them.
Which just shows that you don't understand what I said. The outcomes of the games have nothing to do with it. Rangers/Islanders games have a tendency to be odd, slightly chaotic affairs with huge momentum swings. Tonight's was no different. You can't take anything away from the performance of either team in games like that. What was strange was seeing the last game between these two, which wasn't odd, or chaotic. It was very low key.

Also, the Rangers were 1-1-1 against the Islanders in their building last year. They were 1-2-0 the year before. Which just makes the 8 in a row at home stat a statistical outlier, and being a statistical outlier is the only reason why it gets brought up at all. Anyone who watched those 8 in a row know that there wasn't dominance there on the Rangers part that should lead to that type of stat.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:12 AM
  #210
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 23,593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Which just shows that you don't understand what I said. The outcomes of the games have nothing to do with it. Rangers/Islanders games have a tendency to be odd, slightly chaotic affairs with huge momentum swings. Tonight's was no different. What was strange was seeing the last game between these two, which wasn't odd, or chaotic. It was very low key.

Also, the Rangers were 1-1-1 against the Islanders in their building last year. They were 1-2-0 the year before. Which just makes the 8 in a row at home stat a statistical outlier, and being a statistical outlier is the only reason why it gets brought up at all.
I don't see how it's an outlier. The Rangers like virtually every team in all of sports play better at home than on the road? Stop the press!

SnowblindNYR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:17 AM
  #211
ltsthinaz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Kingman, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Agreed for 25 minutes the Rangers seriously thought they were the 84 Oilers playing a bad ECHL team. They did nothing well. It's amazing the Islanders didn't score at least 5 goals. Then in the 3rd the Rangers played very well. Took the gas off the pedal in OT, but it's 4 on 4 and you can't really take away that much from it. We came back nicely in OT too. Not the worst game ever but this was the worst extended stretch of play since the Blackhawks game last year and that's the only game that is in the same zip code last year. The 3rd goal was a little fluky but the fact that we played 25 minutes like that with our back goalie and got a point is one of the few encouraging things to take away from this game.
I'm OK with this game. We got a point, at times looked absolutely dominating with our back-up goalie, who reeks in the shootouts. He didn't look great in regulation on the second (maybe) and the third (definitely) goals, but he is a back-up. Lundqvist can't play 48 games and the team can't play full speed ahead every minute of every game - they'll have nothing left for the playoffs, like last year.

On another topic, what does everyone think of Miller? I think he is a future legitimate NHLer, but I would send him down. It's not worth wasting a year of his ELC if he's just going to bounce around, play the odd shift and ride the pine in OT and the third period. It's a short season, and I think Kreider is more NHL-ready.

ltsthinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:19 AM
  #212
Cmf1125
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 46
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
I wouldn't say Biron was "great". At best it was a mixed bag.
The 3rd goal was a bad one and he looked over-matched in the shootout.
Honestly I don't think it matters that he was bad in the shootout. Gaborik and Nash didn't score anyhow. To win a shootout, your players gotta score too....

Cmf1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:21 AM
  #213
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 16,607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
I don't see how it's an outlier. The Rangers like virtually every team in all of sports play better at home than on the road? Stop the press!
Right. Except they were 3-2-3 in the 8 games before that. Before the 8 game streak, they were 7-6-3 against the Isles at home since the 04-05 lockout. 8 games in a row was a fluke. Just like beating the Flyers 6 straight last year was a fluke.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:22 AM
  #214
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 23,699
vCash: 857
Birons 5-hole is awful, but he wasnt why we lost. our PP was why. I dont care that we scored a goal, that 5 on 3 just KILLED this team.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:24 AM
  #215
MAC TRUCK
Friendly Fire
 
MAC TRUCK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 273
vCash: 500
So much meh....

MAC TRUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:24 AM
  #216
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 23,593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltsthinaz View Post
I'm OK with this game. We got a point, at times looked absolutely dominating with our back-up goalie, who reeks in the shootouts. He didn't look great in regulation on the second (maybe) and the third (definitely) goals, but he is a back-up. Lundqvist can't play 48 games and the team can't play full speed ahead every minute of every game - they'll have nothing left for the playoffs, like last year.

On another topic, what does everyone think of Miller? I think he is a future legitimate NHLer, but I would send him down. It's not worth wasting a year of his ELC if he's just going to bounce around, play the odd shift and ride the pine in OT and the third period. It's a short season, and I think Kreider is more NHL-ready.
Well this wasn't the worst game of the season (the 1st Flyers game takes the cake). We played well 0 minutes in that one. However, those 25 minutes I couldn't figure out what I was watching. I think to call it domination by the Islanders is giving them too much credit. It was ridiculous. I can't be ok with any game where we play like that almost half the game. I'll take the point though. Neither team deserved a point today. Both looked dreadful for long periods of time. However, we're supposed to be a contender, that shouldn't happen to us.

SnowblindNYR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:28 AM
  #217
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 23,593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Right. Except they were 3-2-3 in the 8 games before that. Before the 8 game streak, they were 7-6-3 against the Isles at home since the 04-05 lockout. 8 games in a row was a fluke. Just like beating the Flyers 6 straight last year was a fluke.
Except the Rangers had a lot of changes over the years, as did the Islanders. So bringing up 8 game streaks dating back to 04-05, which had all different players and coaches except Lundqvist is silly. Maybe we should go back to the 80s.

SnowblindNYR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:32 AM
  #218
ltsthinaz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Kingman, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 758
vCash: 500
Also, despite the fact that we scored a power play goal, it is still killing us.

ltsthinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:34 AM
  #219
Ryan McDonut
Nash is a Bum
 
Ryan McDonut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 3,868
vCash: 500
i love how whenever we're on the rush our player can skate right in but instead they slow down, stare at the defender until they have no space, and then dump it in.

Ryan McDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:34 AM
  #220
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 16,607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Except the Rangers had a lot of changes over the years, as did the Islanders. So bringing up 8 game streaks dating back to 04-05, which had all different players and coaches except Lundqvist is silly. Maybe we should go back to the 80s.
Well, the same applies to the initial 8 game streak. Only 5 skaters are still here from the first game of the streak (6 if you include Gilroy, who isn't really "still here"). Plus Lundqvist. Almost two thirds of the roster has turned over. Point being, that 8 game streak doesn't matter any more or less than any other one.

And also, none of this applies to my original point. The way teams play within a Rangers/Islanders game has no bearing on anything outside of that particular game.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:35 AM
  #221
Doctor King Schultz
Garian Maborik
 
Doctor King Schultz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NYC
Posts: 4,683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltsthinaz View Post
Also, despite the fact that we scored a power play goal, it is still killing us.
Our last 2 power play goals haven't even been the result of a good power play set up. One was a breakaway and the one tonight was basically another breakaway. Both were one man efforts.

Doctor King Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:39 AM
  #222
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 23,593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Well, the same applies to the initial 8 game streak. Only 5 skaters are still here from the first game of the streak (6 if you include Gilroy, who isn't really "still here"). Plus Lundqvist. Almost two thirds of the roster has turned over. Point being, that 8 game streak doesn't matter any more or less than any other one.

And also, none of this applies to my original point. The way teams play within a Rangers/Islanders game has no bearing on anything outside of that particular game.
I don't know. No matter how unpredictable these games are that 25 minute stretch was inexcusable. It might have no bearing on other games, but it's incredibly disappointing that the team would completely stop playing for 25 minutes. If they were playing the Penguins they would have lost 8-2.

SnowblindNYR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:41 AM
  #223
mcsauer2738
Registered User
 
mcsauer2738's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,108
vCash: 500
I really think it's time to bring Haley up. Obviously he wont solve our PP problems but he is a great forechecker, and an extremely underrated hockey player, fits torts mold to a tee. I'd love to see a 4th line of asham haley and powe, great energy line. Hags-step-nash, gabby-richards-cally, miller-boyle-pyatt, asham-haley-powe

mcsauer2738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:41 AM
  #224
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 16,607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
I don't know. No matter how unpredictable these games are that 25 minute stretch was inexcusable. It might have no bearing on other games, but it's incredibly disappointing that the team would completely stop playing for 25 minutes. If they were playing the Penguins they would have lost 8-2.
HUGE momentum swings are pretty standard for these games. You say disappointing. I say I wouldn't expect any different.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:42 AM
  #225
PromNite
Know Your Enemy
 
PromNite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Tampa, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 10,458
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Don't think it was the alcohol. I vaguely recall something like that, as well.
Right, I think Sykora scored in the shootout for the Rangers.

__________________
PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:56 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.