HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Lars Eller Thread - Coffee Shop Edition

Closed Thread

Old
02-14-2013, 09:49 PM
compile
Give me Scotch!

vCash: 693
Send a message via Skype™ to compile
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Playing on the 1st line with sheltered minute is still harder than playing on the 4th line, dude.

Eller sure has been able to handle his own so far. And the occasional time he was put against top-tier opposition, he held his own. But I am not sure he could do so with regularity.
He did it last year dude.

It went like this last year.

DD vs 3rd + 4th - PP - 14:38 ES, 3:17 PP, 0:27 PK (66% of his points on ES)
Pleks vs 1st line - PP/PK - 14:26 ES, 3:05 PP, 3:13 PK (53.8% points on ES)
Eller vs 2nd line - PK - 10:37 ES, 0:55 PP, 1:47 PK (80% ES points).

Eller was the D-zone C with Plekanec, DD got all the O-zone coverage and he's getting it again this year, with some limited D-zone coverage.

Eller needs to be given 2nd line duties to prove he's capable, but he won't as long as the only Quebec born player on the current roster is healthy.

Winning is not the #1 thing. They want to win THEIR way.....even if it means they're handicapping themselves.
Old
02-14-2013, 09:53 PM
Dr_Hook

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
They need to trade DD, not Eller.
From a hockey stand point, they should

But they can't cause trading away the little home grown guy who every talking head is enamoured with would cause a PR nightmare and take away from the french flavour that Mr Molson promised. DD will have to suck REALLY bad before he's dumped...

Old
02-14-2013, 09:57 PM
lamp9post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Hook View Post

But they can't cause trading away the little home grown guy who every talking head is enamoured with would cause a PR nightmare and take away from the french flavour that Mr Molson promised. DD will have to suck REALLY bad before he's dumped...
No, from a hockey stand point they should trade neither.

Neither DD nor Eller on their own will bring this team an upgrade. They will need to be packaged with significant other pieces.

Edit: What's with this board and its obsession for trading away depth?

Old
02-14-2013, 09:57 PM
compile
Give me Scotch!

vCash: 693
Send a message via Skype™ to compile
Quote:

He won't get traded period. Unless they fill the quota with someone else.

Old
02-14-2013, 10:00 PM
Lafleurs Guy

If we are going to trade him... we should be playing him with top players and giving him big minutes. Raise the guy's value if you know you're going to deal him.

I'd prefer we just hang onto him though. I don't have a whole lot of faith in DD and I really think we should be giving Eller more of a shot.

Old
02-14-2013, 10:01 PM
habfaninvictoria

Quote:
I just tweeted Lebrun about that and that's exactly what he said : Lars is drawing interest from other teams, but he doesn't know if he's gonna be traded or not.

Other GMs probably see what a lot of us here complain about : an underused skilled guy who seem stucked in no man's land on our team.

I can't believe we would trade him at this point. Haven't we been discussing this for 18 months now : He NEEDS to be given a real shot with 2 competent wingers, period. Until then we just don't know what we hold.

Time to shift DD to the wing :

Patch - Plek - Gio
DD - Eller - Cole
Bourque - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Why move Bourque...

I do think DD might have used his luck up last year. Teams are keying on his size to neuter that line... I'd like to see...

Bourque/Plek/Gio
Patches/Eller/Cole
Prust/Gally1/Gally2
Moen/DD/Armstrong

DD can still do PP time

Last edited by Bad Natey: 02-15-2013 at 05:25 AM.
Old
02-14-2013, 10:07 PM
Dr_Hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamp9post View Post
No, from a hockey stand point they should trade neither.

Neither DD nor Eller on their own will bring this team an upgrade. They will need to be packaged with significant other pieces.

Edit: What's with this board and its obsession for trading away depth?
I'll rephrase : IF it comes down to trading 1 or the other, it should be DD. In the mean time, having Eller on a 4rth line is a waste of ressources and trying DD on the wing seems like a decent idea IMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
Why move Bourque...

I do think DD might have used his luck up last year. Teams are keying on his size to neuter that line... I'd like to see...

Bourque/Plek/Gio
Patches/Eller/Cole
Prust/Gally1/Gally2
Moen/DD/Armstrong

DD can still do PP time
The Eller line could be awesome but the problem reamins the same as we have now : DD isn't fit to center a 4rth line, he'd be awful in that spot. Plus I liked Plek and Patch together in that brief stint they had last season...

Old
02-14-2013, 10:25 PM
Flyinghab

Come on DD has no value right now. This isn't a video game situation where you can trade average players for much better ones. I agree Eller deserves DD's minutes right now but we also need to get DD going to. I'd put DD on the third line with Prust and Gally. Let Chuckie play on the second line with Bourque and Gio. Make your first line Eller, Cole and Patches and see where it takes you. If Bergy is going after O'Reilly I hope they include Kabs and hopefully DD, I really feel Eller hasn't shown his full potential. What happened to Colby's game he use to play a solid defensive game? We bench Whitey but continue to play Colby, I just shake my head. This is a little off topic but is Tinordi ready? Just curious.

Old
02-14-2013, 10:27 PM
Beendair Donedat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CN_paladin View Post
That's why Therrien sucks. WTF is he still giving so much ice time to a much older and tiny DD!
Real easy answer is the last name of each guy. One is French and one isn't... That's the bottom line.

At least Desharnais played better tonight.

Old
02-14-2013, 10:33 PM
Flyinghab

Lol, I forgot about Pleks. DD goes to the fourth line. Anyway Eller deserves a chance on the first line regardless!

Old
02-14-2013, 10:50 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinghab View Post
Lol, I forgot about Pleks. DD goes to the fourth line. Anyway Eller deserves a chance on the first line regardless!
Frankly DD has no future with us now that we drafted Galchenyuk. Before trading a center that is 6'2'' and has talent, and has a good work ethic we must be really carefull. How long have we bben looking for a big center with skill? We actually could have two in our lineup right now. Now MT, play Eller with talented offensive guys.

Old
02-14-2013, 11:05 PM
25get

Eller need to improve his Face-off to be a top-6.
If Eller has more than 50% on face off, he is getting top-6 minutes.

Old
02-14-2013, 11:07 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24get View Post
Eller need to improve his Face-off to be a top-6.
If Eller has more than 50% on face off, he is getting top-6 minutes.
He's currently sitting with the third best F/O on the team (Behind White and Plekanec).

He's a better face off man than Desharnais. Nobody on the team has 50%+ other than White with only 44 draws.

Old
02-14-2013, 11:11 PM
Habsfannick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinghab View Post
Come on DD has no value right now. This isn't a video game situation where you can trade average players for much better ones. I agree Eller deserves DD's minutes right now but we also need to get DD going to. I'd put DD on the third line with Prust and Gally. Let Chuckie play on the second line with Bourque and Gio. Make your first line Eller, Cole and Patches and see where it takes you. If Bergy is going after O'Reilly I hope they include Kabs and hopefully DD, I really feel Eller hasn't shown his full potential. What happened to Colby's game he use to play a solid defensive game? We bench Whitey but continue to play Colby, I just shake my head. This is a little off topic but is Tinordi ready? Just curious.
Really so Colorado will accept DD and kaberle for O'Reilly? You my friend would win GM of the year but you forgot the offer of Giroux and 5 1st rounders for kaberle

Old
02-14-2013, 11:14 PM
Teufelsdreck

I'm not a fervent believer in Desharnais but I was impressed by his play against the Panthers in Florida. It's too optimistic to think that the Habs could pull off a trade for someone far better, so we'd better get used to seeing him in the Bell Centre for at least the rest of this truncated season.

Old
02-14-2013, 11:16 PM
Clumsyhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by compile View Post
He won't get traded period. Unless they fill the quota with someone else.
Trade him and ask the other team to throw in some french Canadian in the minors and try to convince the fans that he has some potential to play in the NHL

Old
02-14-2013, 11:23 PM
PyrettaBlaze

Desharnais is kinda ruining everything for Eller. Last season Desharnais was fantastic and I guess that's why Therrien keeps on giving him the benefit of the doubt this season even if he hasn't been very good. Desharnais always has decent linemates and keeps on getting opportunities to succeed (PPs) while Eller is stuck with Moen and freakin Armstrong. Eller isn't outplaying Plekanec but he's definitely outplaying Desharnais... The way he's being treated isn't fair at all. What else is he supposed to do to get a fair shot?

02-14-2013, 11:29 PM
25get

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
He's currently sitting with the third best F/O on the team (Behind White and Plekanec).

He's a better face off man than Desharnais. Nobody on the team has 50%+ other than White with only 44 draws.
Yes.
But it seems that Plek gets all the toughest FO.

BTW, looking at the stats seems to bring two results:
Anyone understand how Eller can have 1 GP in face off leader and 13 games in Face-off stats?

To me, it seems that having Plek would have better FO numbers if another center would be able to take over.
For years, Plek had the burden of FO. If another center would be able to take the burden, Plek numbers would improve (he would not be f the only one to take the toughest FO).
Can't expect Gally to do it this year.

Old
02-14-2013, 11:36 PM
WakeUpNHL

We have a center Conundrum!

The habs currently have five centers which are being used as follows:

1st line. Deharnais
2nd line. Plekanec
3rd line. Galchenyuk
4th Line. Eller
Press box. White

There is only one center is his correct line and that is Pleks as a #2. By next year, or the year after, Galchenyuk will be the #1 center.

That leaves 3rd and 4th line centers for Eller and Desharnais.... problem is that both these guys are not gritty enough for 3rd and certainly not 4th line centers!

My conclusion is that both Desharnais and Eller are trade bait, they could be inexpensive be #2 centers on some other team. The habs need to ship them both out, along with perhaps a Diaz or Webber, and get back a big two-way gritty 3rd line center and a big physical crease clearing #5 or #6 .

That would be my plan!

Old
02-14-2013, 11:41 PM
WakeUpNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
Trade him and ask the other team to throw in some french Canadian in the minors and try to convince the fans that he has some potential to play in the NHL
lol. Not as crazy a sit sounds. I remember that the Habs traded Rebiero to Dallas only after they announced that Latendress made the team as a 19 year old. The french media was so orgasmic over Latendress that they forgot all about Ribeiro.

Old
02-14-2013, 11:53 PM
25get

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeUpNHL View Post
lol. Not as crazy a sit sounds. I remember that the Habs traded Rebiero to Dallas only after they announced that Latendress made the team as a 19 year old. The french media was so orgasmic over Latendress that they forgot all about Ribeiro.
As far as FO are concerned, Ribiero seems worst than any of our center.
I would be happy to have MR as a center but it would not solve our problem with face-offs (but I would welcome his 17 points...).
Regarding the Ribeiro trade... Well this chapter is closed. Revisting can not bring him back. But he is UFA next year...

Old
02-14-2013, 11:55 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
Desharnais is kinda ruining everything for Eller. Last season Desharnais was fantastic and I guess that's why Therrien keeps on giving him the benefit of the doubt this season even if he hasn't been very good. Desharnais always has decent linemates and keeps on getting opportunities to succeed (PPs) while Eller is stuck with Moen and freakin Armstrong. Eller isn't outplaying Plekanec but he's definitely outplaying Desharnais... The way he's being treated isn't fair at all. What else is he supposed to do to get a fair shot?
Reminds me of Carbo with Perezhogin... that guy played great and Carbo just kept killing him. And if Perez took a penalty it was the kiss of death. Absolutely no chance for that guy at all.

Eller at least is in the lineup... If he keeps playing better than DD, he'll get his shot sooner or later.

Old
02-15-2013, 12:44 AM
Flyinghab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfannick View Post
Really so Colorado will accept DD and kaberle for O'Reilly? You my friend would win GM of the year but you forgot the offer of Giroux and 5 1st rounders for kaberle
No I was just stating that if we do make an offer for O'Reilly to try and include Kabs and DD. Obviously the package would need to include other players and/ or picks. If we continue to play like this then the need for this trade decreases.

Old
02-15-2013, 01:10 AM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
If we are going to trade him... we should be playing him with top players and giving him big minutes. Raise the guy's value if you know you're going to deal him.

I'd prefer we just hang onto him though. I don't have a whole lot of faith in DD and I really think we should be giving Eller more of a shot.
Unless we are planning to trade DD, then we should play DD with our top guys.

Old
02-15-2013, 01:17 AM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
Unless we are planning to trade DD, then we should play DD with our top guys.
Haven't they been already?

Closed Thread