HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Look at Toronto...

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-13-2013, 11:32 AM
  #76
Kylington
Slim Shady
 
Kylington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Country: Sweden
Posts: 424
vCash: 500
We have so many young talents, give this team a year or two and we'll be crazy dangerous Rinaldo <3

Kylington is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 11:48 PM
  #77
Snipsnap12
Registered User
 
Snipsnap12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,846
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuigiStone View Post
Don't model the Flyers after the Leafs, just do what they did and hire a coach and a bunch of guys that fit the Flyers way of playing the game. Is it really that hard to understand?

Look at the Stanley Cup winners after the year 2000 and see how many tough teams have won.
2 of them? The ducks and bruins? Red wings, avalanche, pens, Tampa, hurricanes,hawks etc, none of them had "tough" teams.... Your logic lacks any substance

Snipsnap12 is offline  
Old
02-14-2013, 12:01 AM
  #78
Snipsnap12
Registered User
 
Snipsnap12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,846
vCash: 500
Flyers should never even have a though of doing anything similar to Toronto... This thread is laughable, and again what year was it leafs last made the playoffs? Leafs have now won a few more games and now Randy car is tailoring the style to his team? His old ducks team, the team that fired him is on a tear right now with Boudreau behind the bench... C'mon we are 14 games into a 48 game crammed schedule with no training camp or preseason, not much can be judged at this point, surely not enough to fire a Stanley cup winning coach

Snipsnap12 is offline  
Old
02-14-2013, 01:10 AM
  #79
Ryker
Registered User
 
Ryker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Triangle, NC, USA
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 3,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush28 View Post
Flyers should never even have a though of doing anything similar to Toronto... This thread is laughable, and again what year was it leafs last made the playoffs? Leafs have now won a few more games and now Randy car is tailoring the style to his team? His old ducks team, the team that fired him is on a tear right now with Boudreau behind the bench... C'mon we are 14 games into a 48 game crammed schedule with no training camp or preseason, not much can be judged at this point, surely not enough to fire a Stanley cup winning coach
Most overused excuse ever. I'm not even advocating for firing Lavi, but to take into account he won a Stanley Cup years ago with a different team would be quite illogical to say the least. Judge him based on his current work with the current team, not his past. He's been here long enough for that not to matter anymore.

Ryker is offline  
Old
02-14-2013, 10:55 PM
  #80
Snipsnap12
Registered User
 
Snipsnap12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,846
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Most overused excuse ever. I'm not even advocating for firing Lavi, but to take into account he won a Stanley Cup years ago with a different team would be quite illogical to say the least. Judge him based on his current work with the current team, not his past. He's been here long enough for that not to matter anymore.

So going back to his cup win is too far too judge? What's your time frame? Coaching the flyers to a 2010 cup finals berth with a 3-0 series deficit overcame? Is that going to far back? What about last year taking a complete retooled team and making them very competitive, helping develop young players like schenn, read, and couturier.... Putting them in positions to have success. With that roster turnover he did an outstanding job.... Do you wanna judge him on the last few games is that recent enough? 4-1-1 is pretty decent....


And saying that he has won a cup isn't an excuse, it's a statement!

Snipsnap12 is offline  
Old
02-14-2013, 11:18 PM
  #81
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,701
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush28 View Post
So going back to his cup win is too far too judge? What's your time frame? Coaching the flyers to a 2010 cup finals berth with a 3-0 series deficit overcame? Is that going to far back? What about last year taking a complete retooled team and making them very competitive, helping develop young players like schenn, read, and couturier.... Putting them in positions to have success. With that roster turnover he did an outstanding job.... Do you wanna judge him on the last few games is that recent enough? 4-1-1 is pretty decent....


And saying that he has won a cup isn't an excuse, it's a statement!
What he is saying is, ya you can say he won a cup, but that has ZERO to do with the current team. Just cause you win a cup doesnt mean your a good coach. I like Lavy, and think he is a good coach with faults in certain areas, but I dont think he is a super coach because he won a cup with a team 6 (?) years ago. Its what he has done with this team that matters and so far he hasnt won a cup.

sa cyred is online now  
Old
02-15-2013, 12:03 AM
  #82
flyershockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
What he is saying is, ya you can say he won a cup, but that has ZERO to do with the current team. Just cause you win a cup doesnt mean your a good coach. I like Lavy, and think he is a good coach with faults in certain areas, but I dont think he is a super coach because he won a cup with a team 6 (?) years ago. Its what he has done with this team that matters and so far he hasnt won a cup.
Agreed. A cup doesn't mean you're the next Bowman. Plenty of coaches have won a cup that I would consider an average coach. Claude Julien and Joe Quenneville are recent examples.

flyershockey is online now  
Old
02-15-2013, 12:56 AM
  #83
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 40,529
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Agreed. A cup doesn't mean you're the next Bowman. Plenty of coaches have won a cup that I would consider an average coach. Claude Julien and Joe Quenneville are recent examples.
Pens fans would chime in Bylsma.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is online now  
Old
02-15-2013, 01:14 AM
  #84
flyershockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Pens fans would chime in Bylsma.
Also another name. Darryl Sutter is also a decent coach who struck gold at the right time in L.A. There are very few premiere coaches in the league, but there are a lot of coaches who can win a cup under the right circumstances. Lavy is one of them.

flyershockey is online now  
Old
02-15-2013, 01:23 AM
  #85
Snipsnap12
Registered User
 
Snipsnap12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,846
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
What he is saying is, ya you can say he won a cup, but that has ZERO to do with the current team. Just cause you win a cup doesnt mean your a good coach. I like Lavy, and think he is a good coach with faults in certain areas, but I dont think he is a super coach because he won a cup with a team 6 (?) years ago. Its what he has done with this team that matters and so far he hasnt won a cup.

Lavy is better than anyone we would or could replace him with, especially the results he has been getting in regards to developing young players, and like I said took us to cup finals, where if we would have had an NHL goalie likely would have won.

We aren't a team that's being held back by a coach that's forsure, that is by far the least of any of the problems this team may have

Snipsnap12 is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 01:28 AM
  #86
Snipsnap12
Registered User
 
Snipsnap12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,846
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Also another name. Darryl Sutter is also a decent coach who struck gold at the right time in L.A. There are very few premiere coaches in the league, but there are a lot of coaches who can win a cup under the right circumstances. Lavy is one of them.
Sutter took a Calgary flames team to the finals that had no business at all being there.... He must be ok

Snipsnap12 is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 01:32 AM
  #87
flyershockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush28 View Post
Sutter took a Calgary flames team to the finals that had no business at all being there.... He must be ok
That flames team was a lesser talented version of L.A. this year. Neither team had business being there on pure talent alone. I five more credit to the players on L.A. for playing the best hockey of their careers rather than Sutter for some brilliant strategy. Again, none of the previously mentioned coaches are terrible, but I wouldn't rank any of them in the top 5 of all coaches in the league.

flyershockey is online now  
Old
02-15-2013, 01:43 AM
  #88
jughead42
Registered User
 
jughead42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,884
vCash: 500
You had to know a Toronto fan would find this most precious thread. The OP is right, the Flyers need to play Flyer hockey to be their best. The Leafs are playing Flyers hockey, and it's working for them right now. When it doesn't work, it feels a whole lot better knowing that at least you beat em up pretty good and made them earn the 2 points. As an outside observer who's followed the team for gambling purposes, I've always considered that Posty Webber you've got behind the bench as a weakness. Carlyle is a former leaf who is the perfect fit there, the Flyers should maybe mine their alumni for somebody to get them straightened out. Maybe somebody like Craig Berube or Keith Acton? Posty isn't the answer, that much is obvious to me anyway.

jughead42 is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 01:50 AM
  #89
PhilaFlyers
Registered User
 
PhilaFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 8,271
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
That flames team was a lesser talented version of L.A. this year. Neither team had business being there on pure talent alone. I five more credit to the players on L.A. for playing the best hockey of their careers rather than Sutter for some brilliant strategy. Again, none of the previously mentioned coaches are terrible, but I wouldn't rank any of them in the top 5 of all coaches in the league.
LA had a good amount of talent last season
Kopitar,Richards,Carter,Brown,Doughty,Quick

PhilaFlyers is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 01:59 AM
  #90
flyershockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaFlyers View Post
LA had a good amount of talent last season
Kopitar,Richards,Carter,Brown,Doughty,Quick
I already credited them with playing well, but they certainly weren't the most talented team at the dance. They came together at the right time and made one hell of a run. It doesn't dismiss the fact that Sutter wasn't and still isn't a great coach.

flyershockey is online now  
Old
02-15-2013, 02:38 AM
  #91
Ryker
Registered User
 
Ryker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Triangle, NC, USA
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 3,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush28 View Post
So going back to his cup win is too far too judge? What's your time frame? Coaching the flyers to a 2010 cup finals berth with a 3-0 series deficit overcame? Is that going to far back? What about last year taking a complete retooled team and making them very competitive, helping develop young players like schenn, read, and couturier.... Putting them in positions to have success. With that roster turnover he did an outstanding job.... Do you wanna judge him on the last few games is that recent enough? 4-1-1 is pretty decent....


And saying that he has won a cup isn't an excuse, it's a statement!
sa cyred pretty much explained what I meant. And like I mentioned, I'm not even advocating for firing him, all I'm saying is him winning a Cup should have absolutely no influence on Holmgren's decision on whether to look for a new coach or not. Such a thing might have influence when hiring new coaches, but not when one has been with the team for a long time.

You're also quick to say there's no better coach he could be replaced by. That's quite a statement! Just because your scope seems to be limited to current and former NHL coaches doesn't mean that the statement is actually true, as well. Personally, I don't know better coaches, but I have a feeling that with the amount of coaches out there there's bound to be a couple that would fare better with this team. But I'm not an expert on coaching, so what do I know.

Ryker is offline  
Old
03-02-2013, 01:50 AM
  #92
LuigiStone*
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,042
vCash: 500
The Flyers are so sad and weak. Even Sestito is gone now. Get rid of Laviolette and get a real Flyers coach. NOW!

LuigiStone* is offline  
Old
03-02-2013, 02:12 AM
  #93
WeekendAtBernies
Registered User
 
WeekendAtBernies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuigiStone View Post
The Flyers are so sad and weak. Even Sestito is gone now. Get rid of Laviolette and get a real Flyers coach. NOW!
^^^THIS!!!!^^^



The Flyers are WEAK. It's flat out disrespectful to the legacy of the Broad Street Bullies to let guys like Tom Sestito go for nothing while skilled pansies like Jakub Voracek continue to have roster spots.

This team is not physical enough. Yes, we may be 2nd in the NHL in Hits and we might have the most Penalty Minutes per game and we might even be 3rd in the NHL in Major Penalties, T-1st in the NHL in Game Misconducts, and T-2nd in the NHL in Fighting Majors but as god as my witness, we are WEAK!!!

RIOT IN THE STREETS!!! THROW BATTERIES AND SNOWBALLS AT LAVIOLETTE.

WeekendAtBernies is offline  
Old
03-02-2013, 03:09 AM
  #94
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 40,529
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuigiStone View Post
The Flyers are so sad and weak. Even Sestito is gone now. Get rid of Laviolette and get a real Flyers coach. NOW!
What the hell is a Flyers coach?

Sestito was a perpetual 4th liner at best. Oh no. How will they ever go on.

Beef Invictus is online now  
Old
03-02-2013, 03:29 AM
  #95
PALE PWNR
Registered User
 
PALE PWNR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 4,418
vCash: 50
I mean, just look at Toronto man, They have the Kadri

PALE PWNR is online now  
Old
03-02-2013, 05:23 PM
  #96
WeekendAtBernies
Registered User
 
WeekendAtBernies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
I mean, just look at Toronto man, They have the Kadri
Kadri >>> B. Schenn AINEC

WeekendAtBernies is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 04:04 AM
  #97
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!
 
hckyplayer8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chicken Capital,PA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,031
vCash: 500
I read one page of this thread (the most recent) and I am very confused on what's the point of this thread.

hckyplayer8 is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 04:53 AM
  #98
WeekendAtBernies
Registered User
 
WeekendAtBernies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
I read one page of this thread (the most recent) and I am very confused on what's the point of this thread.
Summary of the OP's point of view:

-The Leafs originally were terrible, then they brought in a coach who fit their team's style of play and now they're doing better. The Flyers need to do the same.

-Our team doesn't play "Flyers Hockey" anymore (despite the fact that were among the league leaders in hits, penalty minutes, major penalties, game misconducts, fighting majors, etc.)

-We need to fire all the coaches, especially Laviolette, and bring in a "Flyers coach" (whatever that means), and get rid of everybody except Claude Giroux, Scott Hartnell, Wayne Simmonds, Zac Rinaldo, and all the physical defensemen. And then replace guys like Fedotenko w/ "bangers". And then also go get nasty defensemen to replace Pronger.

-Basically, he wants the Broadstreet Bullies part deux.

WeekendAtBernies is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 12:46 PM
  #99
MountainHawk
Registered User
 
MountainHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Salem, MA
Country: Vanuatu
Posts: 12,771
vCash: 500
I have to say, I think the Flyers franchise would be better off right now if the Bullies had never won the Cup, so we didn't waste 30-40 years as a franchise trying to emulate that success instead of focusing on how the sport had changed.

MountainHawk is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 07:08 PM
  #100
Snipsnap12
Registered User
 
Snipsnap12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,846
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
I have to say, I think the Flyers franchise would be better off right now if the Bullies had never won the Cup, so we didn't waste 30-40 years as a franchise trying to emulate that success instead of focusing on how the sport had changed.
The team has evolved quite a bit and IMO the current team is more quick and skilled players than goons. It's some fans and a lot of the media still trying to portray them as the big bad flyers

Snipsnap12 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:07 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.