HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Look at Toronto...

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2013, 11:32 AM
Kylington
Slim Shady

vCash: 500
We have so many young talents, give this team a year or two and we'll be crazy dangerous Rinaldo <3

Old
02-13-2013, 11:48 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuigiStone View Post
Don't model the Flyers after the Leafs, just do what they did and hire a coach and a bunch of guys that fit the Flyers way of playing the game. Is it really that hard to understand?

Look at the Stanley Cup winners after the year 2000 and see how many tough teams have won.
2 of them? The ducks and bruins? Red wings, avalanche, pens, Tampa, hurricanes,hawks etc, none of them had "tough" teams.... Your logic lacks any substance

Old
02-14-2013, 12:01 AM
Snipsnap12

Flyers should never even have a though of doing anything similar to Toronto... This thread is laughable, and again what year was it leafs last made the playoffs? Leafs have now won a few more games and now Randy car is tailoring the style to his team? His old ducks team, the team that fired him is on a tear right now with Boudreau behind the bench... C'mon we are 14 games into a 48 game crammed schedule with no training camp or preseason, not much can be judged at this point, surely not enough to fire a Stanley cup winning coach

Old
02-14-2013, 01:10 AM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush28 View Post
Flyers should never even have a though of doing anything similar to Toronto... This thread is laughable, and again what year was it leafs last made the playoffs? Leafs have now won a few more games and now Randy car is tailoring the style to his team? His old ducks team, the team that fired him is on a tear right now with Boudreau behind the bench... C'mon we are 14 games into a 48 game crammed schedule with no training camp or preseason, not much can be judged at this point, surely not enough to fire a Stanley cup winning coach
Most overused excuse ever. I'm not even advocating for firing Lavi, but to take into account he won a Stanley Cup years ago with a different team would be quite illogical to say the least. Judge him based on his current work with the current team, not his past. He's been here long enough for that not to matter anymore.

Old
02-14-2013, 10:55 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Most overused excuse ever. I'm not even advocating for firing Lavi, but to take into account he won a Stanley Cup years ago with a different team would be quite illogical to say the least. Judge him based on his current work with the current team, not his past. He's been here long enough for that not to matter anymore.

So going back to his cup win is too far too judge? What's your time frame? Coaching the flyers to a 2010 cup finals berth with a 3-0 series deficit overcame? Is that going to far back? What about last year taking a complete retooled team and making them very competitive, helping develop young players like schenn, read, and couturier.... Putting them in positions to have success. With that roster turnover he did an outstanding job.... Do you wanna judge him on the last few games is that recent enough? 4-1-1 is pretty decent....

And saying that he has won a cup isn't an excuse, it's a statement!

Old
02-14-2013, 11:18 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
So going back to his cup win is too far too judge? What's your time frame? Coaching the flyers to a 2010 cup finals berth with a 3-0 series deficit overcame? Is that going to far back? What about last year taking a complete retooled team and making them very competitive, helping develop young players like schenn, read, and couturier.... Putting them in positions to have success. With that roster turnover he did an outstanding job.... Do you wanna judge him on the last few games is that recent enough? 4-1-1 is pretty decent....

What he is saying is, ya you can say he won a cup, but that has ZERO to do with the current team. Just cause you win a cup doesnt mean your a good coach. I like Lavy, and think he is a good coach with faults in certain areas, but I dont think he is a super coach because he won a cup with a team 6 (?) years ago. Its what he has done with this team that matters and so far he hasnt won a cup.

Old
02-15-2013, 12:03 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
What he is saying is, ya you can say he won a cup, but that has ZERO to do with the current team. Just cause you win a cup doesnt mean your a good coach. I like Lavy, and think he is a good coach with faults in certain areas, but I dont think he is a super coach because he won a cup with a team 6 (?) years ago. Its what he has done with this team that matters and so far he hasnt won a cup.
Agreed. A cup doesn't mean you're the next Bowman. Plenty of coaches have won a cup that I would consider an average coach. Claude Julien and Joe Quenneville are recent examples.

Old
02-15-2013, 12:56 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Agreed. A cup doesn't mean you're the next Bowman. Plenty of coaches have won a cup that I would consider an average coach. Claude Julien and Joe Quenneville are recent examples.
Pens fans would chime in Bylsma.

02-15-2013, 01:14 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Pens fans would chime in Bylsma.
Also another name. Darryl Sutter is also a decent coach who struck gold at the right time in L.A. There are very few premiere coaches in the league, but there are a lot of coaches who can win a cup under the right circumstances. Lavy is one of them.

Old
02-15-2013, 01:23 AM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post

Lavy is better than anyone we would or could replace him with, especially the results he has been getting in regards to developing young players, and like I said took us to cup finals, where if we would have had an NHL goalie likely would have won.

We aren't a team that's being held back by a coach that's forsure, that is by far the least of any of the problems this team may have

Old
02-15-2013, 01:28 AM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Also another name. Darryl Sutter is also a decent coach who struck gold at the right time in L.A. There are very few premiere coaches in the league, but there are a lot of coaches who can win a cup under the right circumstances. Lavy is one of them.
Sutter took a Calgary flames team to the finals that had no business at all being there.... He must be ok

Old
02-15-2013, 01:32 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Sutter took a Calgary flames team to the finals that had no business at all being there.... He must be ok
That flames team was a lesser talented version of L.A. this year. Neither team had business being there on pure talent alone. I five more credit to the players on L.A. for playing the best hockey of their careers rather than Sutter for some brilliant strategy. Again, none of the previously mentioned coaches are terrible, but I wouldn't rank any of them in the top 5 of all coaches in the league.

Old
02-15-2013, 01:43 AM
jughead42

You had to know a Toronto fan would find this most precious thread. The OP is right, the Flyers need to play Flyer hockey to be their best. The Leafs are playing Flyers hockey, and it's working for them right now. When it doesn't work, it feels a whole lot better knowing that at least you beat em up pretty good and made them earn the 2 points. As an outside observer who's followed the team for gambling purposes, I've always considered that Posty Webber you've got behind the bench as a weakness. Carlyle is a former leaf who is the perfect fit there, the Flyers should maybe mine their alumni for somebody to get them straightened out. Maybe somebody like Craig Berube or Keith Acton? Posty isn't the answer, that much is obvious to me anyway.

Old
02-15-2013, 01:50 AM
PhilaFlyers

Quote:
That flames team was a lesser talented version of L.A. this year. Neither team had business being there on pure talent alone. I five more credit to the players on L.A. for playing the best hockey of their careers rather than Sutter for some brilliant strategy. Again, none of the previously mentioned coaches are terrible, but I wouldn't rank any of them in the top 5 of all coaches in the league.
LA had a good amount of talent last season
Kopitar,Richards,Carter,Brown,Doughty,Quick

Old
02-15-2013, 01:59 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaFlyers View Post
LA had a good amount of talent last season
Kopitar,Richards,Carter,Brown,Doughty,Quick
I already credited them with playing well, but they certainly weren't the most talented team at the dance. They came together at the right time and made one hell of a run. It doesn't dismiss the fact that Sutter wasn't and still isn't a great coach.

Old
02-15-2013, 02:38 AM
Ryker

Quote:

sa cyred pretty much explained what I meant. And like I mentioned, I'm not even advocating for firing him, all I'm saying is him winning a Cup should have absolutely no influence on Holmgren's decision on whether to look for a new coach or not. Such a thing might have influence when hiring new coaches, but not when one has been with the team for a long time.

You're also quick to say there's no better coach he could be replaced by. That's quite a statement! Just because your scope seems to be limited to current and former NHL coaches doesn't mean that the statement is actually true, as well. Personally, I don't know better coaches, but I have a feeling that with the amount of coaches out there there's bound to be a couple that would fare better with this team. But I'm not an expert on coaching, so what do I know.

Old
03-02-2013, 01:50 AM
LuigiStone*

The Flyers are so sad and weak. Even Sestito is gone now. Get rid of Laviolette and get a real Flyers coach. NOW!

Old
03-02-2013, 02:12 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
The Flyers are so sad and weak. Even Sestito is gone now. Get rid of Laviolette and get a real Flyers coach. NOW!
^^^THIS!!!!^^^

The Flyers are WEAK. It's flat out disrespectful to the legacy of the Broad Street Bullies to let guys like Tom Sestito go for nothing while skilled pansies like Jakub Voracek continue to have roster spots.

This team is not physical enough. Yes, we may be 2nd in the NHL in Hits and we might have the most Penalty Minutes per game and we might even be 3rd in the NHL in Major Penalties, T-1st in the NHL in Game Misconducts, and T-2nd in the NHL in Fighting Majors but as god as my witness, we are WEAK!!!

RIOT IN THE STREETS!!! THROW BATTERIES AND SNOWBALLS AT LAVIOLETTE.

Old
03-02-2013, 03:09 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
What the hell is a Flyers coach?

Sestito was a perpetual 4th liner at best. Oh no. How will they ever go on.

Old
03-02-2013, 03:29 AM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 50
I mean, just look at Toronto man, They have the Kadri

Old
03-02-2013, 05:23 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
I mean, just look at Toronto man, They have the Kadri
Kadri >>> B. Schenn AINEC

Old
03-03-2013, 04:04 AM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

I read one page of this thread (the most recent) and I am very confused on what's the point of this thread.

Old
03-03-2013, 04:53 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
I read one page of this thread (the most recent) and I am very confused on what's the point of this thread.
Summary of the OP's point of view:

-The Leafs originally were terrible, then they brought in a coach who fit their team's style of play and now they're doing better. The Flyers need to do the same.

-Our team doesn't play "Flyers Hockey" anymore (despite the fact that were among the league leaders in hits, penalty minutes, major penalties, game misconducts, fighting majors, etc.)

-We need to fire all the coaches, especially Laviolette, and bring in a "Flyers coach" (whatever that means), and get rid of everybody except Claude Giroux, Scott Hartnell, Wayne Simmonds, Zac Rinaldo, and all the physical defensemen. And then replace guys like Fedotenko w/ "bangers". And then also go get nasty defensemen to replace Pronger.

-Basically, he wants the Broadstreet Bullies part deux.

Old
03-03-2013, 12:46 PM
MountainHawk

I have to say, I think the Flyers franchise would be better off right now if the Bullies had never won the Cup, so we didn't waste 30-40 years as a franchise trying to emulate that success instead of focusing on how the sport had changed.

Old
03-03-2013, 07:08 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
I have to say, I think the Flyers franchise would be better off right now if the Bullies had never won the Cup, so we didn't waste 30-40 years as a franchise trying to emulate that success instead of focusing on how the sport had changed.
The team has evolved quite a bit and IMO the current team is more quick and skilled players than goons. It's some fans and a lot of the media still trying to portray them as the big bad flyers

Closed Thread