HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lombardi

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-08-2006, 06:55 PM
  #1
habs1988
Registered User
 
habs1988's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: I don't know
Posts: 2,122
vCash: 500
Lombardi

Can you tell me about this guy? How good is he ? What is his potential?

habs1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 01:41 AM
  #2
Captaincanada80
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 67
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakukoivu2003 View Post
Can you tell me about this guy? How good is he ? What is his potential?
When you first watch lombardi, your first impressions are, This guy is going to turn some heads! He's an explosive skater and has the ability to make nice plays and score goals. Flames fans are very unhappy with his progression. We know Lombo will be good, Its just a matter of when. It seems some games he totally disappears! I would think next year he's good for a 10G-20A-30P season, but his inconsistencies, may prevent him from achieving that. Best case senario i would say a Marty St Louis, Worst Case Alexander Daigle. But will Probably end up somewhere in the middle as a second line C, Im thinking Chris Drury.

Captaincanada80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 01:57 AM
  #3
Lunatik*
 
Lunatik*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Lethbridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincanada80 View Post
When you first watch lombardi, your first impressions are, This guy is going to turn some heads! He's an explosive skater and has the ability to make nice plays and score goals. Flames fans are very unhappy with his progression. We know Lombo will be good, Its just a matter of when. It seems some games he totally disappears! I would think next year he's good for a 10G-20A-30P season, but his inconsistencies, may prevent him from achieving that. Best case senario i would say a Marty St Louis, Worst Case Alexander Daigle. But will Probably end up somewhere in the middle as a second line C, Im thinking Chris Drury.
he wont reach Drury status... i'm thinkin more along the lines of Shean Donovan... all speed, no hands... i hope im wrong as the Flames need a good young offensive player... but if he does it will be with passing not scoring

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 11:39 AM
  #4
Danny__K
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,152
vCash: 1870
He's better now then Donovan ever was. Lombardis 2 problems right now are 1, he doesn't get much ice time to develop and secondly has a bad case of the injury bug.

I think if healthy next year he'll be between 40-50 points getting some time on the top 2 lines depending on injuries/sutters current mood.

Danny__K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 01:38 PM
  #5
Lunatik*
 
Lunatik*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Lethbridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny__K View Post
He's better now then Donovan ever was. Lombardis 2 problems right now are 1, he doesn't get much ice time to develop and secondly has a bad case of the injury bug.

I think if healthy next year he'll be between 40-50 points getting some time on the top 2 lines depending on injuries/sutters current mood.
Lombardi has been given multiple chances on the top 2 lines and has always proven inconsistent

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 04:57 PM
  #6
Danny__K
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,152
vCash: 1870
Quote:
Originally Posted by thalunatik1979 View Post
Lombardi has been given multiple chances on the top 2 lines and has always proven inconsistent
not every player in his second season in the NHL is as good as Staal. Too suggest a player has always proven to be inconsistent should be judged on more then 1 1/2 seasons in the NHL. Yet he still almost managed .5 PPG on a team with a lack of offensive flare getting just over 14 minutes a game(3rd line minutes)

Lombardi has never been given more then spot duty on the top 2 lines on any given night when someone wasn't performing or was out due to injury. He was just starting to regain his form at the end of the season and in game 7 he was probably the best flame on the ice.

Danny__K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 05:00 PM
  #7
Lunatik*
 
Lunatik*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Lethbridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny__K View Post
not every player in his second season in the NHL is as good as Staal. Too suggest a player has always proven to be inconsistent should be judged on more then 1 1/2 seasons in the NHL. Yet he still almost managed .5 PPG on a team with a lack of offensive flare getting just over 14 minutes a game(3rd line minutes)

Lombardi has never been given more then spot duty on the top 2 lines on any given night when someone wasn't performing or was out due to injury. He was just starting to regain his form at the end of the season and in game 7 he was probably the best flame on the ice.
Lombardi almost consistently played on the top 2 lines after his ankle injury until Lundmark stole the 2nd line center job from him

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 05:18 PM
  #8
Danny__K
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,152
vCash: 1870
Quote:
Originally Posted by thalunatik1979 View Post
Lombardi almost consistently played on the top 2 lines after his ankle injury until Lundmark stole the 2nd line center job from him
When was that? because i don't remember this. Whats your hate on for Lombardi for? did he sleep with your girl or something.

the guy is a young guy who needs time to develop, its that simple. Lombardi was the number "2" center between when Reinprecht was dealt and before Lundmark brought in. A total of 9 games and even in those games he was averaging 3rd line minutes.

Danny__K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 06:59 PM
  #9
Lunatik*
 
Lunatik*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Lethbridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny__K View Post
When was that? because i don't remember this. Whats your hate on for Lombardi for? did he sleep with your girl or something.

the guy is a young guy who needs time to develop, its that simple. Lombardi was the number "2" center between when Reinprecht was dealt and before Lundmark brought in. A total of 9 games and even in those games he was averaging 3rd line minutes.
lombardi often played with Kobasew and Amonte on the second line... and when Lombardi returned from injury and Huselius was aquired it was Amonte that lost a ton of icetime... i dont have a "hate on" for lombardi... i just dont think he is anywhere near as good as most flames fans think he is... he is overrated, undersized and has yet to show any consistentcy at the NHL level... he will be a 10 goal 20-30 assist player for the rest of his career

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 07:34 PM
  #10
Danny__K
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,152
vCash: 1870
Quote:
Originally Posted by thalunatik1979 View Post
lombardi often played with Kobasew and Amonte on the second line... and when Lombardi returned from injury and Huselius was aquired it was Amonte that lost a ton of icetime... i dont have a "hate on" for lombardi... i just dont think he is anywhere near as good as most flames fans think he is... he is overrated, undersized and has yet to show any consistentcy at the NHL level... he will be a 10 goal 20-30 assist player for the rest of his career
Often is a overstatement. If you don't believe me go back and look at the shift charts. further more, Kobasew was not often getting top 2 line minutes either so i think that reinforces the point.

Danny__K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 08:39 PM
  #11
Lunatik*
 
Lunatik*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Lethbridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny__K View Post
Often is a overstatement. If you don't believe me go back and look at the shift charts. further more, Kobasew was not often getting top 2 line minutes either so i think that reinforces the point.
hows this for proving my point?

Lombardi was 6th among Flames forwards in shifts per game... 2 of the guys ahead of him were checking forwards who logged a ton on the PK in Nilson & Yelle

Lombardi was 7th among forwards in average ice time... again behind 2 checking forwards because of their significant penalty killing time

Lombardi was 5th among all Flames forwards in average even strength ice time... behind the 3 top line forwards and tony amonte who also had a bunch of time on the top line

that tells me he was regularly a top 6 forward... whether playing center or the wing... wether im wrong or not about the minutes he played with who... this shows I am definately right when it comes to his ice time on the top 2 lines... another tell tale fact is that Lombardi was 8th in average power play minutes per game... which tells me Sutter doesnt have alot of faith in Lombardi in offensive situations

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 09:15 PM
  #12
kruezer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,279
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thalunatik1979 View Post
Lombardi almost consistently played on the top 2 lines after his ankle injury until Lundmark stole the 2nd line center job from him
I don't remember Lundmark stealing the second line center job from Lombardi at all.

I do, however, remember Lundmark getting stuck in the pressbox in the post season while Lombardi was one of the few Flames playing well at the end of the Ducks series.

kruezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 09:31 PM
  #13
Danny__K
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,152
vCash: 1870
Quote:
Originally Posted by thalunatik1979 View Post
hows this for proving my point?

Lombardi was 6th among Flames forwards in shifts per game... 2 of the guys ahead of him were checking forwards who logged a ton on the PK in Nilson & Yelle
Useless stat because all shifts are not created equal.

Quote:

Lombardi was 7th among forwards in average ice time... again behind 2 checking forwards because of their significant penalty killing time

Lombardi was 5th among all Flames forwards in average even strength ice time... behind the 3 top line forwards and tony amonte who also had a bunch of time on the top line
Add 1 for the vast majority of the season reinprecht was here.

Quote:
that tells me he was regularly a top 6 forward... whether playing center or the wing... wether im wrong or not about the minutes he played with who... this shows I am definately right when it comes to his ice time on the top 2 lines... another tell tale fact is that Lombardi was 8th in average power play minutes per game... which tells me Sutter doesnt have alot of faith in Lombardi in offensive situations
so 8th in average ice time
6th in even strength ice time
9th in PP ice time,

It all comes down to he's a second year player getting 3rd line minutes and putting out decent numbers doing so. He has a lot of room for improvement seeing as he just completed his second NHL compaign. Wether you want to declare he was getting 6th 7th or 8th most minutes of the flames forwards its a mute point. He was not getting big minutes you associate with players you play on the top 2 lines on any team not just calgary.

Danny__K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 10:03 PM
  #14
Lunatik*
 
Lunatik*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Lethbridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny__K View Post
Useless stat because all shifts are not created equal.



Add 1 for the vast majority of the season reinprecht was here.



so 8th in average ice time
6th in even strength ice time
9th in PP ice time,

It all comes down to he's a second year player getting 3rd line minutes and putting out decent numbers doing so. He has a lot of room for improvement seeing as he just completed his second NHL compaign. Wether you want to declare he was getting 6th 7th or 8th most minutes of the flames forwards its a mute point. He was not getting big minutes you associate with players you play on the top 2 lines on any team not just calgary.
lol just believe what you want... but top 6 among forwards when even strength shows he played the majority of his minutes on the top 2 lines

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 11:09 PM
  #15
PapaBear*
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,063
vCash: 500
Lombo has a lot of skill, just needs to put it together. Reminds me a lot of reinprecht. But I really think we need to see him play with top line wingers to bust out.

He is very good on the PK though, and I think we will miss his speed if we trade him.

PapaBear* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:02 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.