HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

OT: NBCSN closing in on Big East rights (mod edit: Big East, ESPN agree to TV deal)

Old
02-13-2013, 06:54 PM
bigplay41*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to bigplay41*
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Not to be that guy, but the bball schools killed the Big East long before this, and frankly long before the conference even became a conference, when they rejected Penn State back in the 80s. Joe Paterno was trying to get an all-sports eastern conference off the ground. The rumored teams for that were Penn State, Pitt, WVU, Cuse, BC, Miami, FSU (still independent at the time), VPI, Temple, and Rutgers IIRC.
for sure i agree 100% but ESPN is also the main reason all this college football realignment started due to TV contracts and money. IMO the ACC is on life support as well. Sooner or later it will be the big 4 with 16 team leagues. B1G, Pac16, SEC, Big12

bigplay41* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 07:02 PM
DaveG
Global Moderator
How's the thesis?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigplay41 View Post
for sure i agree 100% but ESPN is also the main reason all this college football realignment started due to TV contracts and money. IMO the ACC is on life support as well. Sooner or later it will be the big 4 with 16 team leagues. B1G, Pac16, SEC, Big12
Yep, exactly what I'm predicting as well. Not sure who the 4 extra teams heading to the pac are going to be, possibly the Texahoma big 4 once the Big 12's GOR runs out. Can't see the ACC staying together much longer if they don't get their own GOR though.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:14 PM
OKCDevil

I actually think it'll be a B16, Big 12+4, SEC16 and Pac-12 with four independents included. Why? Notre Dame will push for it and the Pac really has nowhere else to go in the west in terms of markets that are the right stature or size.

OKCDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:24 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Little Potatoes

vCash: 2563
Why would they go for a FCS conference?

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 07:47 PM
bigplay41*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKCDevil View Post
I actually think it'll be a B16, Big 12+4, SEC16 and Pac-12 with four independents included. Why? Notre Dame will push for it and the Pac really has nowhere else to go in the west in terms of markets that are the right stature or size.
id love to see Oklahoma in the B1G but i doubt they will ever leave Okie Light behind.

Old
02-14-2013, 07:51 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
...the Pac really has nowhere else to go in the west in terms of markets that are the right stature or size.
Western Canada? UBC and UoC are good for 70k+ student bodies. I know collegiate sports in Canada are a bit...iffy...on the support front, but surely someone, at some point, will make a run at Div 1, no?

Old
02-14-2013, 08:02 PM
bigplay41*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Western Canada? UBC and UoC are good for 70k+ student bodies. I know collegiate sports in Canada are a bit...iffy...on the support front, but surely someone, at some point, will make a run at Div 1, no?
will never happen. What is UBC UoC athletic budget?

Old
02-14-2013, 08:06 PM
bigplay41*

Quote:
UNLV could be a sleeping giant. Obviously Sam Boyd Field would need to add more seating but at one point TCU was around the same size.

Old
02-14-2013, 08:08 PM
sh724

Quote:
The rules for US colleges and Canadian colleges are extremely different. Sadly a lot of D1 schools in the US are focused way more on athletics than on education. The majority of Football and Basketball players in the NCAA pay nothing or very little to go to school it is all paid for as long as they keep playing. They recieve many benefits other students do not. If schools put as much effort into improving their academic programs as they do to improve athletics the US would still be the most educated country.

I have the urge to rant about how athletics are eroding away the point of higher education in the US but I will save every one the time of attempting to read it.

Last edited by sh724: 02-14-2013 at 08:13 PM.
sh724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 09:07 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
id love to see Oklahoma in the B1G but i doubt they will ever leave Okie Light behind.
Doubt the Big Ten would even ask Oklahoma. Not an AAU school.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 09:10 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
You're were correct when you said no.

US and Canadian collegiate athletics will never be mixed.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 09:24 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
You're were correct when you said no.

US and Canadian collegiate athletics will never be mixed.
Simon Fraser University is actually an NCAA member - NCAA Div II - the only NCAA member school outside the U.S.

That said, I don't see any Canadian school making the investment needed to compete as a NCAA D1 school.

kdb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 09:25 PM
Dado

vCash:
We have schools in Div 3 and I know UBC, at least was being courted/was considering D1 (they voted it down), so I don't think I'm ready to accept "never" as an answer.

Old
02-14-2013, 09:42 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
We have schools in Div 3 and I know UBC, at least was being courted/was considering D1 (they voted it down), so I don't think I'm ready to accept "never" as an answer.
There may be Canadian schools playing against NCAA DIII schools - but they are not NCAA members.

SFU became the first (and only) NCAA member outside the US last Sept 1, after a two-year provisional membership. I am not aware of any other Canadian schools which have or may be in the process of applying.

kdb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:36 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
SFU became the first (and only) NCAA member outside the US last Sept 1, after a two-year provisional membership. I am not aware of any other Canadian schools which have or may be in the process of applying.
My (limited) understanding is UBC considered applying but didn't get past the "considering" stage.

It is interesting to consider - Oregon's athletic budget is 20x larger than UBC's. I suspect a huge chunk of that is football, but even leaving that out...

Old
02-14-2013, 10:58 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15

Quote:
At most, I wouldn't be surprised if a few Canadian universities tried it out in Division I-FCS so as to serve as a mecca for Canadian basketball players to compete in March Madness and still field teams in lower-level competition in non-FBS football and other sports, but no chance that they're picked up by a major conference.

As for where else they can pull teams, there's still the Big 12. They're still on incredibly shaky grounds, all things considered, and if the Pac 12, Big Ten, and/or SEC want to expand there again, then they'll do so. I could definitely see the Pac 12 going after Texas Tech, Texas, and the Oklahomas again (likewise with the SEC more than willing to probably grab Oklahoma and Oklahoma State, too). If desperate to get an even number, maybe even a compromise with UNLV, Nevada, or BYU if independence isn't as rosy as they would've thought.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:01 PM
Brodie
voted best

The Big 12's GoR deal is going to keep them in tact for a decade. If anything, they're going to raid the ACC and the BEast's corpse to relieve WVU's isolation

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:05 PM
bigplay41*

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
At most, I wouldn't be surprised if a few Canadian universities tried it out in Division I-FCS so as to serve as a mecca for Canadian basketball players to compete in March Madness and still field teams in lower-level competition in non-FBS football and other sports, but no chance that they're picked up by a major conference.

As for where else they can pull teams, there's still the Big 12. They're still on incredibly shaky grounds, all things considered, and if the Pac 12, Big Ten, and/or SEC want to expand there again, then they'll do so. I could definitely see the Pac 12 going after Texas Tech, Texas, and the Oklahomas again (likewise with the SEC more than willing to probably grab Oklahoma and Oklahoma State, too). If desperate to get an even number, maybe even a compromise with UNLV, Nevada, or BYU if independence isn't as rosy as they would've thought.
i cant imagine the conservative california schools allowing a mormon school in like BYU

Old
02-14-2013, 11:13 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
The Big 12's GoR deal is going to keep them in tact for a decade. If anything, they're going to raid the ACC and the BEast's corpse to relieve WVU's isolation
People said the same thing about the ACC probably being unpoachable with their high exit penalties, but that didn't stop the Big Ten from picking up Maryland.

Fact is that even if there's a big price to pay, there are going to be people more than willing to pay it if the perceived longterm bonuses outweigh the immediate loss. You only need to look at the NHL with its recent lockout to see that. Not to mention that one of the concept laughably brought up in the past is that the other conferences would be afraid of weakening the grant of rights concept, which only exists in a scenario where the conferences are actually worried about their members being poached. The Big Ten makes mega bucks with their network, the SEC is the king of college football and is poised to gain even more cash with their national TV deals, and the Pac 12 is trying to be the new Big Ten with the way they make money. All much better scenarios than the Big 12, which essentially revolves around making Texas happy, a scenario that's already seen Nebraska, Mizzou, and Texas A&M leave because they didn't like being constantly at the Longhorns' beck and call.

The Big 12 is safer with the GoR then it was, but it's not bulletproof by any means. Especially if a league like the Big 12 just brought the whole system down and made a move on Texas itself. Or it merely gives sides a decade to breath and plot before scooping in for the kill.

Old
02-14-2013, 11:15 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15

Quote:
i cant imagine the conservative california schools allowing a mormon school in like BYU
Which is why I named them third, actually. Then again, plenty would've been flabbergasted if you told them a few years ago that the then-Pac 10 would grab Utah.

Old
02-14-2013, 11:42 PM
bigplay41*

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Which is why I named them third, actually. Then again, plenty would've been flabbergasted if you told them a few years ago that the then-Pac 10 would grab Utah.
Another sleeper is New Mexico. I heard its one of the fastest growing schools. Football program is trash but hey you never know

Old
02-15-2013, 12:27 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15

Quote:
Another sleeper is New Mexico. I heard its one of the fastest growing schools. Football program is trash but hey you never know
eh.... maybe, no clue about the Lobos, tbqh. Guess they could be a desperation move if they're stuck at 13 or 15 and need to get to an even number.

To be honest, now that I think about it, New Mexico would actually be a decent fit for the new Big 12 model, too....

Old
02-15-2013, 12:35 AM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
There may be Canadian schools playing against NCAA DIII schools - but they are not NCAA members.

Div III would match Canadian colleges because of rules. DIII do not give scholarships for athletics.

Usually there is a correlation with school size but not necessarily.

The Univeristy system in NY State were not at all athletic oriented. all the schools were mainly division 2 or division 3 except for a few sports.

They have changed over the last 20 years to push then to division I or IA level.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 01:03 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
I think there is potential that the BIG 4 could be incredible for college football, by creating an 8 team 'Super Playoff' of conference division winners.

Here is what I would do.

All teams would play 10 conference games.

The last two games would be 1 home and 1 away game against teams DRAWN from the other 3 conferences. Think about it, teams could no longer schedule whatever cupcake, they had to play someone that's in the Super League.

And then they could show the draw on ESPN and make mucho money just like UEFA makes on the Champions League draw. It'd be completely random and it'd be interesting to see where teams would end up going.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 02:24 AM
bigplay41*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
I think there is potential that the BIG 4 could be incredible for college football, by creating an 8 team 'Super Playoff' of conference division winners.

Here is what I would do.

All teams would play 10 conference games.

The last two games would be 1 home and 1 away game against teams DRAWN from the other 3 conferences. Think about it, teams could no longer schedule whatever cupcake, they had to play someone that's in the Super League.

And then they could show the draw on ESPN and make mucho money just like UEFA makes on the Champions League draw. It'd be completely random and it'd be interesting to see where teams would end up going.
Big 10 took the first step by no longer scheduling any FCS teams which i think is a step in the right direction. They also did indicate that they are moving to a 9 or 10 team league schedule as soon as Maryland and Rutgers join the league in 2014.