HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Big Mac's Bar & Lounge: ...Reticulating Splines...

Closed Thread

Old
02-15-2013, 01:48 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
It blows my mind David Lynch was allowed anywhere near a TV studio, never mind that his show became a national phenomenon.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
02-15-2013, 11:13 AM
UnrealMachine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovahkiin View Post
Anyone ever see the TV series Twin Peaks?
I've seen the whole series 4 or 5 times. We had a Twin Peaks club in college when I was an undergrad. Amazingly, every time I watch the series, I always completely forget about certain story lines (I try to give myself several years in between viewings, analogous to the "play the first Zelda game every 5 years for the rest of your life" theory). The 2nd season is thin at times, but that's because the first XX episodes were rushed to conclusion and the show was cancelled halfway through the 2nd season. The last episode is SO good.

Old
02-15-2013, 11:14 AM
UnrealMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafton View Post
the last few episodes make up from the suckage. have you gotten to where David Duchovny appears? so good. i also think i'm the only person in the world who gets a kick out of the James finds himself mired in a b-movie film noir plot.
Ha! Complete with B-level actors to boot!

Old
02-15-2013, 11:40 AM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealMachine View Post
I've seen the whole series 4 or 5 times. We had a Twin Peaks club in college when I was an undergrad. Amazingly, every time I watch the series, I always completely forget about certain story lines (I try to give myself several years in between viewings, analogous to the "play the first Zelda game every 5 years for the rest of your life" theory). The 2nd season is thin at times, but that's because the first XX episodes were rushed to conclusion and the show was cancelled halfway through the 2nd season. The last episode is SO good.
formal or informal. because if there was a formal Twin Peaks club at CMU and i missed it, i might as well just kill myself.

as i recall, Lynch was hoping that the myriad subplots would become so overwhelming that the murder investigation would recede into the background and eventually everybody, from the audience to the town residents would forget about it. network interference nixed that when they had to reveal the killer in order to combat a dip in the ratings. i'm of the mind that he wasn't too concerned over which subplots were good and which were bad, he just wanted them to develop organically but the time compression ruined that plan.

Old
02-15-2013, 11:46 AM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Probably my favorite line in any movie ever is in Blue Velvet.

I started with Twin Peaks and loved it, but it was a casualty of me forcing myself to watch nothing but comedies over the past year or so. It's high on my queue to continue.
you've mentioned this 'regime' before. do you mind me asking, what's on this mental syllabus? have you seen Dream On?

Old
02-15-2013, 12:20 PM
Dovahkiin
Geno! Geno! Geno!

Quote:
I think i just might do those.

Old
02-15-2013, 12:22 PM
UnrealMachine

Quote:
formal or informal. because if there was a formal Twin Peaks club at CMU and i missed it, i might as well just kill myself.
This was at Pitt around '99-'01, and yes, it was formal. It was called Wounded in Pgh. They had the whole series on, wait for it, LASERDISC!

I believe they started another Twin Peaks club at Pitt around 2006 +/- 2 (wasn't around so I honestly don't know the timeframe). Maybe CMU had a club that simulated the series with robots?

Old
02-15-2013, 12:25 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
This was at Pitt around '99-'01, and yes, it was formal. It was called Wounded in Pgh. They had the whole series on, wait for it, LASERDISC!

I believe they started another Twin Peaks club at Pitt around 2006 +/- 2 (wasn't around so I honestly don't know the timeframe). Maybe CMU had a club that simulated the series with robots?

Old
02-15-2013, 12:27 PM
UnrealMachine

Also, TP clubs were pretty common at universities so it's probably not too late to find a local university that is showing it.

Old
02-15-2013, 12:31 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:

I believe they started another Twin Peaks club at Pitt around 2006 +/- 2 (wasn't around so I honestly don't know the timeframe).
that's awesome. the main branch of the public library next to the museums had an pretty decent video library. lots of Antonioni, Tarkovsky and the like. better than Blockbuster. the city as a whole, doesn't get enough respect when it comes to culture. August Wilson, Jack Gilbert...going to school in Pittsburgh was pretty great.

Quote:
Maybe CMU had a club that simulated the series with robots?
just you wait, in another twenty years robot football will rule the airways and we'll be able to watch CMU vs. Caltech compete for the BCS Robot Football Championship.

Old
02-15-2013, 12:38 PM
Dovahkiin
Geno! Geno! Geno!

One of my favorite things about Twin Peaks

Old
02-15-2013, 01:01 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

Quote:
you've mentioned this 'regime' before. do you mind me asking, what's on this mental syllabus? have you seen Dream On?
I'm trying to keep it current, or at least semi-current. Basically trying to acquaint myself with what is actually on TV, as I was without cable for so long that I had a huge viewing gap basically spanning Arrested Development getting cancelled and my re-discovery of Parks and Recreation (I actually watched Parks & Rec's pilot when it came out...and it was so bad that I didn't give the show a second chance until about a year ago). The only shows I stayed current on between those frames were The Office and 30 Rock...and even those I fell behind in.

I'm reading a ton of scripts from my contemporaries now and they're mostly for shows I only have a basic knowledge of, so I'm trying to familiarize myself with them to mixed results. Tons of New Girl and Girls specs being written right now...New Girl I can get along with, but Girls...oof.

Old
02-15-2013, 01:22 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Tons of New Girl and Girls specs being written right now...New Girl I can get along with, but Girls...oof.
i can't watch either of those shows - they hit too close for home. until recently, for the last two years i was living in the gender-inversed scenario of New Girl (the Three's Company scenario, except i wasn't pretending to be gay). and when i wasn't romancing my roommate, living the fun and quirky life - participating in craft night and the like, i was basically hanging out with the cast of Girls. ugh. glad i've been able to extract myself from that milieu.

edit: so where do i turn in my New Girl/Girls crossover spec?

Last edited by Crafton: 02-15-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old
02-15-2013, 02:48 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

Girls is the worst thing ever committed to celluloid. Unfortunately you can't say that without being called a misogynist who can't stand to look at a real woman. ****ing insufferable.

On the Twin Peaks topic, all I have to say is : "DAMN good coffee! And hot!"

Old
02-15-2013, 02:50 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Naps are refreshingly awesome.

Old
02-15-2013, 02:51 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

Brilliant! Heh heh heh...I have absolutely no idea what's going on.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:38 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Sitting here with a glass of whiskey and am pondering what to do this weekend....

Old
02-15-2013, 04:01 PM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
Sitting here with a glass of whiskey and am pondering what to do this weekend....
I suggest finishing that glass of whiskey, for a start.

Old
02-15-2013, 04:35 PM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

I think the video game location for "Alan Wake" was based off of the location for twin peaks.

I've never seen twin peaks, so I can't confirm that, but Alan Wake is all woods and mountains and lakes. I'm pretty sure I read it somewhere too.

Old
02-15-2013, 04:44 PM
Sh00terMcGavin
Snake? Snaaaaaaake!

Kate Upton. That is all.

Old
02-15-2013, 04:50 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyOwn View Post
I think the video game location for "Alan Wake" was based off of the location for twin peaks.

I've never seen twin peaks, so I can't confirm that, but Alan Wake is all woods and mountains and lakes. I'm pretty sure I read it somewhere too.
Half of the northwest is 'the town from Twin Peaks'.

Old
02-15-2013, 05:08 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Old
02-15-2013, 05:47 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:
Probably my favorite line in any movie ever is in Blue Velvet.

I started with Twin Peaks and loved it, but it was a casualty of me forcing myself to watch nothing but comedies over the past year or so. It's high on my queue to continue.
Fortunately Twin Peaks is funny as hell too - just uncategorizable. There are moments in that series that made me laugh harder than just about any comedy (shooting range scene, anyone?).

Also, Gordon Cole is the bomb. And Shelly's about the sexiest thing on two legs.

Old
02-15-2013, 05:51 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
And Shelly's about the sexiest thing on two legs.
Mädchen Amick - the name alone is capable of bringing a man to his knees.

Old
02-15-2013, 11:03 PM
Iggy Smalls

I found out a former classmate from Frederick High passed away in a car crash not to far from Pittsburgh. She was only 20- it doesn't feel real someone that young and who you recently saw can be gone forever just like that.

Closed Thread