HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Is Eberle's Shooting Percentage Unsustainable?

Closed Thread

Old
02-10-2013, 09:39 PM
Sky04

vCash: 500
He was PPG through the first 6 games, as soon as he goes cold, some guy with an inferiority complex decides to bring this up? Funny.

Old
02-10-2013, 09:42 PM
SchultzSquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan The Parade View Post
What most people (including me) are saying is that he will not shoot at 18.5% for the entirety of his career. That number is very unsustainable, and it is a very rare player that can keep it.

He'll need to keep it at that level for a couple of seasons before I eat crow and admit that he can indeed be mentioned in the same breath as Charlie Simmer or Steven Stamkos.
Do people here realize SH% means jack... I don't get it... Gretzky must have been garbage for being at 17.6% for his career... some guys named Goulet and Nieuwendyk sit at 17.4%.

However to give you some perspective... Tanguay, Brunette and Holmstrom and Vanek all have 3 or more seasons of 18.5% or better since the lockout... are we really not willing to say Eberle could finish his career as good as any as those guys... that's not even Charlie Simmer territory...

Old
02-10-2013, 09:43 PM
Freudian
Deja vu again?

vCash: 271
I would suggest that the 14.7% he has over his 159 game NHL career is more likely to reflect his 'true' shooting percentage than any smaller sample from those 159 games.

Old
02-10-2013, 09:48 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzSquared View Post
Do people here realize SH% means jack... I don't get it... Gretzky must have been garbage for being at 17.6% for his career... some guys named Goulet and Nieuwendyk sit at 17.4%.
I, myself, am inclined to discuss Eberle's shooting percentage, not Eberle the player himself.

Saying Eberle's shooting percentage is unsustainable isn't a knock on Eberle, unless you think that saying that Eberle is like 95% of the League is an insult.

Quote:
However to give you some perspective... Tanguay, Brunette and Holmstrom and Vanek all have 3 or more seasons of 18.5% or better since the lockout... are we really not willing to say Eberle could finish his career as good as any as those guys... that's not even Charlie Simmer territory...
Some perspective:

Brunette and Holmstrom made a career out of crashing/camping the net and banging in rebounds.

Tanguay was a player who was looking to pass the puck, and would hence only shoot when he had a great scoring opportunity.

Eberle is not considered either of these types of players. He is like most other players in the League, and tries to maximize the amount of shots he can get on goal. Hence why his shooting % is unsustainable.

Old
02-10-2013, 09:48 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I would suggest that the 14.7% he has over his 159 game NHL career is more likely to reflect his 'true' shooting percentage than any smaller sample from those 159 games.
Agree.

Old
02-10-2013, 09:55 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Ah damn it. Time to trade him.

Old
02-10-2013, 10:08 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
Quote:
Do people here realize SH% means jack
This is all you need to know about the pro-Eberle party.

Old
02-10-2013, 10:17 PM
SchultzSquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
I'm not so much pro-Eberle as I am pro-U22 players who score 30 goals... I don't get why someone would want or have to discount a player like that for fun but I guess people must get something out of it... if you don't want to celebrate the game's best playing in the game's best league you should watch AHL or ECHL or something

Old
02-10-2013, 10:29 PM
Hammer Time

Eberle's shooting percentage right now is unsustainably low. Once regression happens he will start scoring more.

Am I doing this right?

Old
02-10-2013, 11:02 PM
SephF
Visually Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Winnin View Post
Speaking of statistics, which is more likely Eberle sustaining his ridiculous shooting % from last year or this being the norm?
I'd say somewhere in the middle. 15% isn't out of the question.

The scary thing is his shooting % would be even lower if he didn't miss so many shots this year. I've see him put the puck wide or over the next a dozen times at least.

Old
02-10-2013, 11:07 PM
SephF
Visually Better

This is kind of amusing :

After the first 12 games last year(his 36 goal season) he had 3 goals and a shooting % of 10.3

This year after 12 games he had 3 goals and a shooting % of 8.3

So his shooting percent has fallen 2% if you compare starts.

Not saying he's going to go on a tear like last year but maybe he's just a slow starer.

edit : had my math wrong

Last edited by SephF: 02-10-2013 at 11:34 PM.
Old
02-10-2013, 11:56 PM
mudcrutch79

Two percentage points is not 2%. His S% is off 20% on his worst stretch last year.

Old
02-11-2013, 12:06 AM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
He'll be a 12-14% kind of guy imo, he just has a very good shot selection. Small sample size is not indicitive of his skill

Old
02-11-2013, 12:07 AM
joe89

S% is bull, since it doesn't take into account shooting quality. Sure it can be nice to see if a pace _looks_ sustainable or not, but as far as I'm cornerned hockey is played on the ice not on an excel spreadsheet.

Old
02-11-2013, 12:14 AM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan The Parade View Post
I, myself, am inclined to discuss Eberle's shooting percentage, not Eberle the player himself.

Saying Eberle's shooting percentage is unsustainable isn't a knock on Eberle, unless you think that saying that Eberle is like 95% of the League is an insult.

Some perspective:

Brunette and Holmstrom made a career out of crashing/camping the net and banging in rebounds.

Tanguay was a player who was looking to pass the puck, and would hence only shoot when he had a great scoring opportunity.

Eberle is not considered either of these types of players. He is like most other players in the League, and tries to maximize the amount of shots he can get on goal. Hence why his shooting % is unsustainable.
Not really the case until lately. He's said himself that he wasn't interested in wasting shots. If he can't score he'll do something else with it.

By the looks of things recently though, it seems as if the coaching staff has convinced him to just start throwing it at the net for some reason. He has started just tossing pucks at weird angles that he never used to before, despite saying how much he dislikes doing it. The result has been a lack of creativity and a lack of production the last half dozen games.

Old
02-11-2013, 12:25 AM
SephF
Visually Better

If he would've just buried this damn shot he would have better numbers then 12 games in last year

Unbelievable

Old
02-11-2013, 12:59 AM
deckercky

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
I'd say somewhere in the middle. 15% isn't out of the question.

The scary thing is his shooting % would be even lower if he didn't miss so many shots this year. I've see him put the puck wide or over the next a dozen times at least.
Players who pick corners miss a lot of shots - that's kind of the nature of the beast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
S% is bull, since it doesn't take into account shooting quality.
Errr.....yes it does. You don't look at a generic shot and apply the percentage for how likely it is to score, but if a player has the hockey sense to get open for those wide open shots, and waits for high percentage shots, they usually won't have that change too much over time.

Comparing player to player for shooting percentage isn't terribly useful, but it's a useful metric to see when a player has been lucky or unlucky.

Like anything, small sample size for a young player like Eberle limits the predictive ability of using it at this point though.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:17 AM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Agreed. I don't know why people are taking a statistic with a ton of variance and using a tiny sample size to draw conclusions.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:23 AM
Senor Catface

vCash: 1937
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
And that's why you should be dismissed and thrown into the pile of white noise that is this site at times.

What a silly notion. Pro-Eberle? Is there a anti-Eberle? Just silly. What about the crowd that thinks taking a 7 game sample where he's been snakebit is an opportunistic and juvenille approach at being right in an internet debate?

Where were you the first 5 or 6 games where his shooting percentage was higher? Nowhere, that's where.

If everything was so simple as "pro" and "anti" hey?

Old
02-13-2013, 11:36 AM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by franfrey* View Post
Now shooting at a 28% pace in the AHL this year... Does everyone still think he can't keep up a 17-19% pace in the NHL?
Yes, it's unsustainable. Still a very good young player.

Old
02-15-2013, 01:31 AM
eklunds source

Quote:
Those players were playing a different game, so to speak. In 1987, Grant Fuhr won the Vezina trophy with a 0.881sv%. Last year, 65 goalies played in 10 or more games and every single one of them had a 0.881sv% or better. Between natural talent (more people playing hockey means more goalies, more goalies means a higher likelihood of finding great goalies), enlarged equipment, and training, goalies are far superior to what they were then.

Quote:
A shot from the blue line does not have the same chance of going in as a shot from the crease. That's common sense and it shouldn't need saying. A skater being able to shoot from higher percentage locations is a demonstrated and proven talent - Brunette and Holmstrom's average shot distance was consistently MUCH closer to the net than the average player. They maintained a high shooting percentage by being much closer to the net for most of their shots.

As for Tanguay... He's just a great shooter.

A tale of two talents - one true and...
Quote:
I looked at whether some players exhibited an ability to score more often from a given spot on the ice than other players. This "talent" regressed 75% to the mean, and a high level of skill was really only identifiable in Ilya Kovalchuk and Alex Tanguay.
...and Vanek? His career 15.4% is very good. It's normal for a players sh% to fluctuate within a couple percent of their career average - when your career average is quite high, having a few seasons at a couple percent higher is not unusual. Vanek also has seasons of 12.3, 13.4, and 12.7%.

The idea isn't "every player will regress to the same shooting percentage"... It's that "every player has a shooting percentage they will regress to". Eberle's could very well be as high as Vanek's... but it's almost certainly not 18%. That would make him the best shooter the NHL has seen in 30 years.

As for Eberle, he's now at 3 goals on 42 shots for a shooting percentage under 8%. Regression is a *****.

Last edited by eklunds source: 02-15-2013 at 01:40 AM.
Old
02-15-2013, 02:59 AM
Prairie Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
This is kind of amusing :

After the first 12 games last year(his 36 goal season) he had 3 goals and a shooting % of 10.3

This year after 12 games he had 3 goals and a shooting % of 8.3

So his shooting percent has fallen 2% if you compare starts.

Not saying he's going to go on a tear like last year but maybe he's just a slow starer.

edit : had my math wrong
He was playing in the AHL so its not like he was just sitting at home.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:27 AM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 582
Some players just have above average shooting percentages. I don't know why this is so hard for some people to understand.

Old
05-10-2013, 03:55 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
Wrong. Eberle has now demonstrated in consecutive seasons in professional leagues that he puts up unusually high shooting percentages. It is more likely that he will remain one of the highest percentage shooters in the league rather than dropping to a 12% shooting percentage.
Wrong. Hahaha.

Old
05-10-2013, 03:58 PM
VeteranNetPresence
Disco Super Fly.

just looked at his salary for next year. that is quite a lot, yikes

Closed Thread