HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#13 |New York Islanders vs New York Rangers | Feb 14 | 7 PM | 4-3 W F/SO

Old
02-14-2013, 10:26 PM
GOLFWANG

vCash: 500
see even nabby feels like the isles get screwed more than any other team lol

GOLFWANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:30 PM
camper

I understand Boomer has to wear his Islander Martin jersey all week now, martz with 9 hits and a big momentum shifter, thats laying out the BOOM Matty Marts

camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:52 PM
Moosie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles1983 View Post
The downside to us winning: I guess Cappy will still be with us.
I don't think he's under pressure to win.

Moosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:53 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by camper View Post
I understand Boomer has to wear his Islander Martin jersey all week now, martz with 9 hits and a big momentum shifter, thats laying out the BOOM Matty Marts
Is that true? Haha that's so awesome I had no clue missed most of the show today.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:56 PM
JTforPres2012

Staple just tweeted that several Isles stated that Dougie Weight ripped into them after the 1st period....thank you for finally someone doing it.

Just promote the man already!

JTforPres2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:06 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTforPres2012 View Post
Staple just tweeted that several Isles stated that Dougie Weight ripped into them after the 1st period....thank you for finally someone doing it.

between Weight and Thompson thats 2 fisty guys...

would love to hear what he had to say....

Cappy was probablly sitting with the players looking up at Weight while he was laying into them...

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:08 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

JT was just interviewed on NHL Tonight. The kid is the real captain of this team. He should be sporting the C next season.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:12 PM
19NYSports91

Still can't believe Finley had more ice time than Hamonic and Amac. Hamonic seems a little off, he looked pretty good with Streit in OT though.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:20 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
Wow sounds like Dougie Weight really laid into the guys tonight, from Staples twitter:

https://twitter.com/StapeNewsday/sta...56270168162304
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTforPres2012 View Post

Good!! Seeing how Weight's reacted on the bench in past situations I'm not surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
JT was just interviewed on NHL Tonight. The kid is the real captain of this team. He should be sporting the C next season.
Damn right!

02-14-2013, 11:54 PM
islandermaniac

absolutely painful watching this team take faceoffs...painful! without checking the game stats i would say that no one who took a substantial number of draws was over 50% except for our saviour (just had a peek: tavares was 15-12, cizikas was 7-10, and nielsen was an ABSOLUTELY STUNNINGLY PATHETIC 6-14.. is the gm really so dumb as to not understand the importance of faceoffs? we hack on this guy all the time, but one would think a former goalie would understand how important faceoffs are to the game. honestly, so much extra penalty killing time is spent in the zone because draws can't be won and if anyone other than jt takes a draw on the pp, it is lost and the puck goes down the ice and 1/4 of the penalty is over. it's maddening that snow has not addressed this glaring weakness.

an aside for all wondering if the islanders are getting any love north of the border: craig button finally admitted that jt is elite and that he was wrong to question his selection at number one overall. oh, and three sportscentre guys asked, "wtf?" with regards to grabner's breakaway at the end of overtime and why there wasn't a penalty shot called. everyone except for the ******** referee is dumbfounded by that non-call. pathetic.

islandermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:58 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermaniac View Post
an aside for all wondering if the islanders are getting any love north of the border: craig button finally admitted that jt is elite and that he was wrong to question his selection at number one overall. oh, and three sportscentre guys asked, "wtf?" with regards to grabner's breakaway at the end of overtime and why there wasn't a penalty shot called. everyone except for the ******** referee is dumbfounded by that non-call. pathetic.
God, I'd love if we can get a video of this. He always ticked me off with that. Can anyone help?

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:01 AM
Islanderfan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
Wow sounds like Dougie Weight really laid into the guys tonight, from Staples twitter:

https://twitter.com/StapeNewsday/sta...56270168162304
It's about ****ing time. This is why Cappy needs to go, he has zero idea of how to motivate a team and it's pathetic. The guy literally has no fire in him and stands behind the bench like he doesn't even care. Tortorella seems like a World class D-bag but at least he actually gives a damn, Cappy should take notes.

Still want Thompson to coach this team with Weight as the assistant.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:05 AM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
It is nice to hear that Weight called them out. Whatever went down between periods it was a different team that emerged in the second. The third period they slid back a bit in play.

I thought the third goal by the Rangers should not have counted. I saw a kicking motion with the outside of the foot. They got the win but that's not cool. The refs in general seemed a bit lazy, letting offsides go a few times.

Though Tavares had a better game he regressed in the third, doing the superman act and not playing simple hockey.

Mark Streit is worse than worthless in 5 on 5 situations. He was weak in the defensive zone again, turned the puck over a few times because he is not reading the ice in real time. It's like he is drunk, and the same is true for his overuse of the stretch pass. Twice or more his up ice long arm act was easily picked off leading to a scoring chance for the Rags. I can't wait until he is long gone. And someone take that C off his chest and give it to John already.

Finley played better than he has in the past but he was also undressed too many times. He should not be on the ice. 18 Minutes of ice time? Try that with some other teams and see the goals against rise.

Cizikas had a very good game and I want to see more of him. Amac had a few bad turnovers. Martin was a damn beast.

Moulson. I saw a sequence in the third period that spoke loudly as to what his main problem is. Tavares had taken the puck in deep but lost it, and Callahan closed on the puck. Moulson is on a line to intercept Callahan and could at least pressure him, but he peeled away. The other wing wasn't deep, so it wasn't a position thing. He just didn't want to body Callahan. That's the kind of weakling mentality this club needs to upgrade from.

And lastly, someone tell Baghdad Butch to stop talking about getting the bounces. He knows better, and it is sickening to hear him say it.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:41 AM
ichabod13

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermaniac View Post
oh, and three sportscentre guys asked, "wtf?" with regards to grabner's breakaway at the end of overtime and why there wasn't a penalty shot called. everyone except for the ******** referee is dumbfounded by that non-call. pathetic.
well, the fact that he wasnt interfered with once he got past the defenders, and had a realistic chance too shoot and score might be the reason.
its nobodys fault but grabners that, that shot was NO WHERE near the net.
grabner can skate like the wind, ill give him that......aside from that......

ichabod13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:43 AM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn33 View Post
I was glad to see Finley have a great game, he played 19 minutes (previous high was 11) and looked steady out there. The guy takes a ton of **** on here, and a lot of it is quite excessive. For a man his size he moves quite well. He's not overly physical, but being 6'8 250 if he was, he'd be in the box all the time. If he can keep it up and play a quiet, steady game, he'll be an asset for us back there.

He did look good. Not like a traffic cone at all tonight.

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:45 AM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTROCKS View Post
Nabby getting on the refs !!!! He rocks !!!
He was right. NYR had too many men on the ice late in the 3rd too, even Howie/Butch said they had 9 men on the ice and the hook on Grabner's breakaway.
Pretty bad ref job tonight, even with the win.

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:46 AM
HammyNyIslesCupCrazy

Put simply, the way the team played after the 1st period: taking the body, going into the corners, clearing the front of the net, and most importantly skating hard-not gliding through the zone is how this team has to play night in and night out. From watching the post game interviews, they know this is the type of effort and play needed on a nightly basis. The days of poke checking and not playing smart physical hockey need to be left in the past for this team to make a playoff push. The 5 on 5 will improve if they play as physically as they did tonight in the corners and on the blue line.

Last edited by HammyNyIslesCupCrazy: 02-15-2013 at 01:09 AM.
HammyNyIslesCupCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 01:07 AM
daveskirtun
:o)

Well done

daveskirtun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 01:21 AM
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
'Charro Unchained'

CanseiDeSerBreakcore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 01:44 AM
LAIslanderFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
It is nice to hear that Weight called them out. Whatever went down between periods it was a different team that emerged in the second. The third period they slid back a bit in play.

I thought the third goal by the Rangers should not have counted. I saw a kicking motion with the outside of the foot. They got the win but that's not cool. The refs in general seemed a bit lazy, letting offsides go a few times.

Though Tavares had a better game he regressed in the third, doing the superman act and not playing simple hockey.

Mark Streit is worse than worthless in 5 on 5 situations. He was weak in the defensive zone again, turned the puck over a few times because he is not reading the ice in real time. It's like he is drunk, and the same is true for his overuse of the stretch pass. Twice or more his up ice long arm act was easily picked off leading to a scoring chance for the Rags. I can't wait until he is long gone. And someone take that C off his chest and give it to John already.

Finley played better than he has in the past but he was also undressed too many times. He should not be on the ice. 18 Minutes of ice time? Try that with some other teams and see the goals against rise.

Cizikas had a very good game and I want to see more of him. Amac had a few bad turnovers. Martin was a damn beast.

Moulson. I saw a sequence in the third period that spoke loudly as to what his main problem is. Tavares had taken the puck in deep but lost it, and Callahan closed on the puck. Moulson is on a line to intercept Callahan and could at least pressure him, but he peeled away. The other wing wasn't deep, so it wasn't a position thing. He just didn't want to body Callahan. That's the kind of weakling mentality this club needs to upgrade from.

And lastly, someone tell Baghdad Butch to stop talking about getting the bounces. He knows better, and it is sickening to hear him say it.
Moulson's lack of physical play and his defensive weakness was really made evident in the OT, when they were playing 4 on 4. The Islanders controled the play, until he came out. If you watch that sequence, it becomes really obvious, he hates to battle or challange anyone with the puck. I'm really beginning to hate this guy. I don't care how many goals he scores, he's hurting JT and he's hurting the team. Again, I ask anyone watching the Islanders to keep on eye on Moulson away from the puck. He avoids any physical confrontation and when he does have a shot at forechecking, he manages to take a bad angle at the puck handler and then takes a harmless swipe at the opponent. It's one thing to not be good at forechecking, it's another to find ways to avoid forechecking. That's Matty's way.

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 02:49 AM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Didn't even know Grabner had suited up for the game until that last second OT breakaway (on which he was clearly fouled, even if not enough for a penalty shot).
kinda what happens if you play with aucoin and mcdonald the whole game. actually grabs only got 13 mins (including all his pk time) making only boulton, cizikas (why so little time for him cappy?) and aucoin get less ice time. its ridiculous! i know of your opinion of him, but is it justified to give okposo more time than him?

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 03:05 AM
iLandHer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAIslanderFan View Post
Moulson's lack of physical play and his defensive weakness was really made evident in the OT, when they were playing 4 on 4. The Islanders controled the play, until he came out. If you watch that sequence, it becomes really obvious, he hates to battle or challange anyone with the puck. I'm really beginning to hate this guy. I don't care how many goals he scores, he's hurting JT and he's hurting the team. Again, I ask anyone watching the Islanders to keep on eye on Moulson away from the puck. He avoids any physical confrontation and when he does have a shot at forechecking, he manages to take a bad angle at the puck handler and then takes a harmless swipe at the opponent. It's one thing to not be good at forechecking, it's another to find ways to avoid forechecking. That's Matty's way.
He's not defensively responsible, that's true. He does what he does on offense, and it truly is a skill to be able to bang in all those garbage goals. Do you really swap out a guy who doesn't take penalties and scores 30+ goals each season? Those guys are hard to come by and I'd hate for us to get rid of him or rotate someone else into that role and lose the scoring he provides.

I also think that's why people have been asking for more of a grinder to go on that top line, so tavares and [x] can do the grinding while moulson does his thing.

He's also not gifted enough offensively to be out there during 4 on 4 play, he's slow and doesn't have great hands (I don't think I've ever seen him make a deke ever).

iLandHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 03:08 AM
iLandHer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammyNyIslesCupCrazy View Post
Put simply, the way the team played after the 1st period: taking the body, going into the corners, clearing the front of the net, and most importantly skating hard-not gliding through the zone is how this team has to play night in and night out. From watching the post game interviews, they know this is the type of effort and play needed on a nightly basis. The days of poke checking and not playing smart physical hockey need to be left in the past for this team to make a playoff push. The 5 on 5 will improve if they play as physically as they did tonight in the corners and on the blue line.
I didn't think they played particularly well during the 3rd period. They dominated the 2nd period and OT, which is even more frustrating because they are capable of doing and refuse to on a nightly basis.

Butch said something interesting during the game which I think is true (rare, I know). He mentioned that the team doesn't trust one another when they are in their own end, so everyone is just skating all over the place. I always knew we were horrible in our own end, but the trust factor I never put in there and he's probably right. If we had a better defensive system/breakout it'd make it so much easier rather than trying to spring Grabner and Nielson on a breakway every time from our own corner.

Edit: Sorry for the double post, apparently I can't merge them on my own?

iLandHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 03:52 AM
ichabod13

if you were an NHL goalie and saw grabner coming at you....would you be scared?

maybe long island, and tavares, actually need P.A. parenteau......at least he could finish.......

ichabod13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 06:06 AM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichabod13 View Post
if you were an NHL goalie and saw grabner coming at you....would you be scared?

maybe long island, and tavares, actually need P.A. parenteau......at least he could finish.......
He's scary on a breakaway when he uses his shot. He fell back in love with the deke. He was hook/slashed on last nights breakaway.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote