HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#13 |New York Islanders vs New York Rangers | Feb 14 | 7 PM | 4-3 W F/SO

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-15-2013, 05:18 AM
  #826
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 12,266
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by luki here View Post
kinda what happens if you play with aucoin and mcdonald the whole game. actually grabs only got 13 mins (including all his pk time) making only boulton, cizikas (why so little time for him cappy?) and aucoin get less ice time. its ridiculous! i know of your opinion of him, but is it justified to give okposo more time than him?
Felt Grabner's 'demotion' was a logical consequence of recent events. As to why Okposo didn't have the same type of demotion, I can't say. He's been even more of a passenger. I did feel Okposo played his best game in quite some time - maybe even his best of the season, although he did some floating in the defensive zone and could have stopped that goal by Gaborik if he had decided to work, i.e. stop in the slot and take Marian rather than just float by.

Dunno why Cizikas was down in the ice time department (didn't seem like it, what with even getting the call for that 5-on-3), but the Tavares line was out there a lot over the last 30 minutes of the game.

Definitely want to see Bailey and Nielsen continue playing together for the time being. Not quite sure why Bailey is the LW and Martin a RW? I could have sworn that last season, when Bailey finally started scoring, he was on the RW side of Nielsen. I just remember his dekes and moves coming in from the right.

Maybe not...

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 05:36 AM
  #827
islandermaniac
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 3,920
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichabod13 View Post
well, the fact that he wasnt interfered with once he got past the defenders, and had a realistic chance too shoot and score might be the reason.
its nobodys fault but grabners that, that shot was NO WHERE near the net.
grabner can skate like the wind, ill give him that......aside from that......
he was fouled four times with stick work while in possession of the puck. watch the replay.

islandermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 05:49 AM
  #828
Hip Of Rick
Registered User
 
Hip Of Rick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 6,459
vCash: 500
So nice to get a win but the team still only played 1/2 a game of hockey. Need to be better than that.

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 06:07 AM
  #829
bigd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 4,770
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
JT was just interviewed on NHL Tonight. The kid is the real captain of this team. He should be sporting the C next season.
He should be sporting the C this season. Vis & Strait look like our best D pairing right now. I noticed they started with Strait and Harmonic & Vis and Amac but Amac was really struggling last night.


Last edited by bigd: 02-15-2013 at 06:14 AM.
bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 06:10 AM
  #830
Disgraced Cosmonaut
Registered User
 
Disgraced Cosmonaut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 1,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermaniac View Post
he was fouled four times with stick work while in possession of the puck. watch the replay.
he's quite a bit like randy wood, but had he scored on it, he'd have been like mike bossy; there was too much tugging and pulling going on for an average goal scorer to net that. his shot selection was good - forehand upper 90.

Disgraced Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 06:14 AM
  #831
Disgraced Cosmonaut
Registered User
 
Disgraced Cosmonaut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 1,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
He should be sporting the C this season.
i know, but this was not the season to demote streit. if he signs a 2 year extension to stay on as an "A," I'm one of the ones who thinks that a demotion of that sort may actually help him. it's tough to be the captain of a perennially bad team.

Disgraced Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 06:20 AM
  #832
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh
 
Mr Wentworth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 4,928
vCash: 500
Any feeds/links for post game interviews?

I'm curious if the Rag's third goal was discussed by Cappy (or anyone)

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 06:35 AM
  #833
bigd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 4,770
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgraced Cosmonaut View Post
i know, but this was not the season to demote streit. if he signs a 2 year extension to stay on as an "A," I'm one of the ones who thinks that a demotion of that sort may actually help him. it's tough to be the captain of a perennially bad team.
I'm hoping they can convince Vis to sign for 2 more years and dump Streit before the trade deadline. He's more part of the problem than part of the solution. Vis can create offense and he's been great on the defensive side also. Streit just CAN"T play defense.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 07:02 AM
  #834
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,151
vCash: 500
I made the treck to the worlds most corporate arena:

1) My section was half Isles fans. Boy oh boy did we taunt the ever loving life out of everybody. I had a lets go islanders chant going the entire game. And it was... epic.

2) Nabokov shows when he's on, the Isles can win any game. Hopefully this 5 game streak is behind us.

3) Kyle Okposo. Don't anybody dare tell me this guy deserves to be in the NHL. I cannot believe how absolutely terrible he is. Either we ruined him, or he is so out of game shape that the Islanders are missing protocol allowing him to play. GET HIM OFF THE ICE. END OF DISCUSSION.

4) Josh Bailey. No points, but he's coming along much better than KO. The points will come for Josh. At least he looks like an above average hockey player.

5) The officiating. A terrible call started this streak, and the bad calls continue. Martin is boarded in front of a ref in the 3rd, of course that loser Jackson looks the other way. Grabner ***** from behind, no call. It's just the same story night after night.

6) I have absolutely no problem promoting Thompson to head coach with weight as assistant. Get fred flinstone out of here.

and the biggest point of all:

John Tavares is godly. Literally godly. Everytime he was on the ice you heard MSG erupt into "OMG, ****ING GET HIM!" with screams and fright galore. What a player he has become. The best player on the ice for both teams, constantly setting up chances to score, the tieing goal, and the winning goal in the SO.

HE is the KING OF NEW YORK.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 07:06 AM
  #835
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,151
vCash: 500
Oh, and Finley. What a solid game from this guy. Say what you want, but he looked better than that trainwreck Andrew Mcdonald. And that's just not good when Finley has a better game than Mcdonald.

Fun fact:

We went to Brother Jimmy's after the game, and I'm with a bunch of Ranger fans, and who do I see standing on the corner? Michael Del Zotto. So I go "MDZ" and he turns around.

I went up to him, said your a great young player, but Tavares is the real star of New York. He laughed and said "He's definitely one of the hardest players to play against, a real star" I wished him well, than shouted "EVERYONE IT'S MIKE DEL ZOTTO" and as I watched the crowd form, I faded in the distance.

I'd post a picture but I'm already at like 5 infractions so I can't do crap around here LOL

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 07:36 AM
  #836
wingnutks
Registered User
 
wingnutks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsMetsIsles View Post
Hey we ended our 25 game streak of giving up a goal in the third period. Its the little things.
Is this true!?


I thought Finely was decent... MUCH better than Carkner.

Streit needs to go. He is making horrible decisions, and just doesnt look like he gives a **** anymore.

wingnutks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 07:50 AM
  #837
Degeneration Rex
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Upstate,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 3,244
vCash: 500
Since I was not home last night and the boys won, I promise the next game against the Rag$ I
will go out until after the game. Going into my classroom now, my students are going to love me
today-no homework this weekend after a win over the Rag$.

Degeneration Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 08:05 AM
  #838
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!
 
IceAce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 3,011
vCash: 300
Good win last night. Didn't see much of the game due to V-Day responsibilities, but great to see them show some character and fight back from the early deficit.

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 08:41 AM
  #839
InformTheMasses
Registered User
 
InformTheMasses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,774
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesBeBack View Post
Oh, and Finley. What a solid game from this guy. Say what you want, but he looked better than that trainwreck Andrew Mcdonald. And that's just not good when Finley has a better game than Mcdonald.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 09:07 AM
  #840
isles31
Poster Excellont
 
isles31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: LI
Country: United States
Posts: 4,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
WOOHOOOO

Am I the only one who bursts out laughing every time Frans scores a shootout goal?
he really has a great release on his shot. Its funny, during the week, i think Tuesday, i was at my brothers and was watching the Rags game bc it was on and Anton freakin Stralman scored a goal and Joe Micheletti creamed himself talking about STRALMANS quick release lol. My rag fan brother even said the guy is a moron, but it would be great to take the video of frans scoring and put audio of micheletti going silly over his release.

Anyway, its uncanny how he can just freeze a goalie. When he goes in and just shoots as opposed to the backhand of justice, most of the time the goalies dont even move. Biron just stood there like, "Oh you went?" His continues success with that move just makes him more deadly in the shootout. I wish he would work with grabner, but i feel like grabs is a lot like jason blake in that he needs his hands to catch up with how fast he is. Hopefully he does it before hes 32


Last edited by isles31: 02-15-2013 at 09:16 AM.
isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 09:27 AM
  #841
Dan-o16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 7,260
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
What? MacDonald, IMO, is exhausted and overmatched by his minutes while Finley was fresh. MacDonald's game has been deteriorating. Obviously, this is something the coach saw and is trying to address.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 09:33 AM
  #842
bluechipbonzo
Registered User
 
bluechipbonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,584
vCash: 500
Again, the "incompetent" coaches and management of the Islanders show the wisdom of their personnel decisions...give Finely credit where credit is due. He played well.

bluechipbonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 09:36 AM
  #843
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 12,266
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
What? MacDonald, IMO, is exhausted and overmatched by his minutes while Finley was fresh. MacDonald's game has been deteriorating. Obviously, this is something the coach saw and is trying to address.

Cheers,

Dan-o
I agree totally that it looks like this is currently the case. The last few games, he's being doing some uncharacteristic things and looking burned out.

Otherwise, he's probably our best overall defenseman in all three zones. Everyone's going to have some bad nights, but in general, few make so much of so little as MacDonald does.

This said, not so sure having him with Visnovsky is the move right now. I'd get him with Streit, where he can be the more defensive of the two, but knows he can always move the puck to his partner. Thought Strait looked like he could complement Visnovsky well the other night.

Boy, those defensive pairs have just been changing so much lately.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 09:49 AM
  #844
bigd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 4,770
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
I agree totally that it looks like this is currently the case. The last few games, he's being doing some uncharacteristic things and looking burned out.

Otherwise, he's probably our best overall defenseman in all three zones. Everyone's going to have some bad nights, but in general, few make so much of so little as MacDonald does.

This said, not so sure having him with Visnovsky is the move right now. I'd get him with Streit, where he can be the more defensive of the two, but knows he can always move the puck to his partner. Thought Strait looked like he could complement Visnovsky well the other night.

Boy, those defensive pairs have just been changing so much lately.
The only problem I have with Amac is his lack of physical play. He realyl doesn't hit anyone which makes him vulnerable with big strong forwards like Nash. But he's a shot blocking machine so I guess if he did everything well we would be paying him a lot more than 550K. Personally I think Strait is going to eventually be a better player.


Last edited by bigd: 02-15-2013 at 09:56 AM.
bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 09:53 AM
  #845
JTROCKS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,126
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Marshall days View Post
He was right. NYR had too many men on the ice late in the 3rd too, even Howie/Butch said they had 9 men on the ice and the hook on Grabner's breakaway.
Pretty bad ref job tonight, even with the win.
Yep, but he really went nuts about the 3rd goal--- he said he told the refs to blow the whistle already, an they didnt----- he said when that is the Isles, the whistle blows in a second--- and hes right !!!

JTROCKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 10:02 AM
  #846
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!
 
redbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by isles31 View Post
he really has a great release on his shot. Its funny, during the week, i think Tuesday, i was at my brothers and was watching the Rags game bc it was on and Anton freakin Stralman scored a goal and Joe Micheletti creamed himself talking about STRALMANS quick release lol. My rag fan brother even said the guy is a moron, but it would be great to take the video of frans scoring and put audio of micheletti going silly over his release.

Anyway, its uncanny how he can just freeze a goalie. When he goes in and just shoots as opposed to the backhand of justice, most of the time the goalies dont even move. Biron just stood there like, "Oh you went?" His continues success with that move just makes him more deadly in the shootout. I wish he would work with grabner, but i feel like grabs is a lot like jason blake in that he needs his hands to catch up with how fast he is. Hopefully he does it before hes 32
best shootout player in the NHL since it was introduced and Boyes is probably top 5 as well. Amazing how Frans is deadly in shootouts but simply cannot score during the actual games. He's got speed but never gets breakaways (probably because he's so good defensively, and covers for Grabs so much). He seems to have a decent shot but is never in a position to get it off, not from scoring areas.

He's such a good player. I hope he finds a spot on the 3rd line and we get a proper #2 C (Strome, Nelson or Ryan O'Reilly).

And speaking of Stralman, I cannot believe he managed to win a puck battle against Moulson even though he had no stick. Terrible.



Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesBeBack View Post

We went to Brother Jimmy's after the game, and I'm with a bunch of Ranger fans, and who do I see standing on the corner? Michael Del Zotto. So I go "MDZ" and he turns around.

I went up to him, said your a great young player, but Tavares is the real star of New York. He laughed and said "He's definitely one of the hardest players to play against, a real star" I wished him well, than shouted "EVERYONE IT'S MIKE DEL ZOTTO" and as I watched the crowd form, I faded in the distance.
great story!

MDZ and JT are good friends. They played together and worked out together in the off-season for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Of Rick View Post
So nice to get a win but the team still only played 1/2 a game of hockey. Need to be better than that.
no kidding. They were a disaster in the first period. Kinda amazing they were able to come back and get two points.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 10:05 AM
  #847
StumpNYI
Registered User
 
StumpNYI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,685
vCash: 500
We need a winter classic if only for a glimps at a Doug Weight pep talk between periods on 24/7.

StumpNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 10:15 AM
  #848
InformTheMasses
Registered User
 
InformTheMasses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,774
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
What? MacDonald, IMO, is exhausted and overmatched by his minutes while Finley was fresh. MacDonald's game has been deteriorating. Obviously, this is something the coach saw and is trying to address.

Cheers,

Dan-o
Last night certainly wasn't amacs best game. The second goal was entirely his fault and nash made him look ordinary at times for sure. Is it because he's spent? Or playing with new partners? Doesn't matter what the excuse is but last night at least in the first period he didnt meet his standard. However he recovered and played better as the game went on especially on the kill and in ot.

Finley played good...... for joe finley.

Subpar amac is infinitely better than good finley. Let's. Not get that confused. Peples preconceived expectations of players is probably the biggest factor in these instant analysis of player performances on this board. Players seem to build reputations in a matter of days,sometimes shifts.

I definitely have to shake my head when i see someone refer to amac as a'trainwreck'. Especially when praise for Joe Finley immediately precedes it.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 10:29 AM
  #849
PJGooch
Registered User
 
PJGooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 518
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by isles31 View Post
he really has a great release on his shot. Its funny, during the week, i think Tuesday, i was at my brothers and was watching the Rags game bc it was on and Anton freakin Stralman scored a goal and Joe Micheletti creamed himself talking about STRALMANS quick release lol. My rag fan brother even said the guy is a moron, but it would be great to take the video of frans scoring and put audio of micheletti going silly over his release.

Anyway, its uncanny how he can just freeze a goalie. When he goes in and just shoots as opposed to the backhand of justice, most of the time the goalies dont even move. Biron just stood there like, "Oh you went?" His continues success with that move just makes him more deadly in the shootout. I wish he would work with grabner, but i feel like grabs is a lot like jason blake in that he needs his hands to catch up with how fast he is. Hopefully he does it before hes 32
FWIW, I watched the Ranger feed and they praised Nielsen's quick release after he schooled Biron.

PJGooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 10:35 AM
  #850
Hipietro
Registered User
 
Hipietro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 4,432
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesBeBack View Post
I made the treck to the worlds most corporate arena:

1) My section was half Isles fans. Boy oh boy did we taunt the ever loving life out of everybody. I had a lets go islanders chant going the entire game. And it was... epic.

2) Nabokov shows when he's on, the Isles can win any game. Hopefully this 5 game streak is behind us.

3) Kyle Okposo. Don't anybody dare tell me this guy deserves to be in the NHL. I cannot believe how absolutely terrible he is. Either we ruined him, or he is so out of game shape that the Islanders are missing protocol allowing him to play. GET HIM OFF THE ICE. END OF DISCUSSION.

4) Josh Bailey. No points, but he's coming along much better than KO. The points will come for Josh. At least he looks like an above average hockey player.

5) The officiating. A terrible call started this streak, and the bad calls continue. Martin is boarded in front of a ref in the 3rd, of course that loser Jackson looks the other way. Grabner ***** from behind, no call. It's just the same story night after night.

6) I have absolutely no problem promoting Thompson to head coach with weight as assistant. Get fred flinstone out of here.

and the biggest point of all:

John Tavares is godly. Literally godly. Everytime he was on the ice you heard MSG erupt into "OMG, ****ING GET HIM!" with screams and fright galore. What a player he has become. The best player on the ice for both teams, constantly setting up chances to score, the tieing goal, and the winning goal in the SO.

HE is the KING OF NEW YORK.
Just out of curiosity, what would you say the percentage was of Islander fans there? At the Coliseum it's usually somewhere around 60-40 Islander fans, if not 50-50.

Never been to an Isles Rags game at the Garden and always been curious how many Isles fans actually go.

Hipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:07 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.