HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Lars Eller Thread - Coffee Shop Edition

Closed Thread

Old
02-15-2013, 02:58 AM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

vCash: 500
I've been pretty harsh on Eller before the season started, but he has shown me that he's ready to step up and play a bigger role. He's playing some really good and inspired hockey.

I hope he isn't traded away.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:04 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

In my opinion O'Reilly would probably be our number one center if we would move Eller(or other players) for him. I love Plek but he's not the most physical guy, he's not that big, can't win faceoffs and disappears in the playoffs. O'Reilly is the type of guy we should build our club around as far as identity. Plek would be the number 2 guy(for the moment), Gally third center. DD would have to be moved to the wings or traded.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:18 AM
Mats86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
HabsLinks ‏@HabsLinks

Can anyone confirm what Lebrun said?
Eller just starting to mature....why deal him now?

Old
02-15-2013, 03:37 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
Eller just starting to mature....why deal him now?
Teams will either pay for potential or give us a prospect that reflect Eller's own potential but fit better our needs.

While Ellery has shown good things on occasion, his emergence as a bona-fide top 6 centre is far from certain. We could transfer the risk/reward to another team, would the price be right.

Old
02-15-2013, 04:34 AM
habsfanatics

I thought DD had a very strong game last night. The problem was Cole handling the puck like a grenade. He made a poor pass in the o-zone that led to a 2-1, but other than that, DD was very strong tonight.

I'm not huge on the guy, but I don't think we're in any hurry to move him either. With the right mix, DD is a valuable contributor. The problem for me is we have too many guys like gio, gallagher, dd. They all play with tremendous hart, if we could somehow deal gionta for an equally good player with some size and strength, then dd is fine to have as a complimentary player. I don't like the way he is being used so far though, he is not a top6 center imo. Top 6 winger, perhaps.

Old
02-15-2013, 04:43 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
I thought DD had a very strong game last night. The problem was Cole handling the puck like a grenade. He made a poor pass in the o-zone that led to a 2-1, but other than that, DD was very strong tonight.

I'm not huge on the guy, but I don't think we're in any hurry to move him either. With the right mix, DD is a valuable contributor. The problem for me is we have too many guys like gio, gallagher, dd. They all play with tremendous hart, if we could somehow deal gionta for an equally good player with some size and strength, then dd is fine to have as a complimentary player. I don't like the way he is being used so far though, he is not a top6 center imo. Top 6 winger, perhaps.
Agreed. I think he can be more productive but I still think he'll need to go at some point. I'd rather him increase his trade value first.

Old
02-15-2013, 05:25 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

He's drawing interest for sure.....amongst Habs fans and the Habs. If you move him, it's because major overpayment is coming your way. There's just no reason why you'd move a guy that still hasn't had the chance to show your potential. We have done that too many times now. not the time to do it again.

Old
02-15-2013, 05:27 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
Desharnais is kinda ruining everything for Eller. Last season Desharnais was fantastic and I guess that's why Therrien keeps on giving him the benefit of the doubt this season even if he hasn't been very good. Desharnais always has decent linemates and keeps on getting opportunities to succeed (PPs) while Eller is stuck with Moen and freakin Armstrong. Eller isn't outplaying Plekanec but he's definitely outplaying Desharnais... The way he's being treated isn't fair at all. What else is he supposed to do to get a fair shot?
I don't think Cole and Pacioretty are much better than Armstrong and Moen this year.

I really don't care what people say, Eller/DD showed some nice chemistry and they should be on the same line.

For a team struggling to score lately, there is absolutely no reason for Brandon Prust to be in our Top-9.

Our 4th line plays 10-12 minutes per game anyway, so there is nothing wrong with going Moen - Prust - Armstrong, while putting one of Eller/DD on the wing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeUpNHL View Post
The habs currently have five centers which are being used as follows:

1st line. Deharnais
2nd line. Plekanec
3rd line. Galchenyuk
4th Line. Eller
Press box. White

There is only one center is his correct line and that is Pleks as a #2. By next year, or the year after, Galchenyuk will be the #1 center.

That leaves 3rd and 4th line centers for Eller and Desharnais.... problem is that both these guys are not gritty enough for 3rd and certainly not 4th line centers!

My conclusion is that both Desharnais and Eller are trade bait, they could be inexpensive be #2 centers on some other team. The habs need to ship them both out, along with perhaps a Diaz or Webber, and get back a big two-way gritty 3rd line center and a big physical crease clearing #5 or #6 .

That would be my plan!
lol @ calling Pleks a second line center

Old
02-15-2013, 05:30 AM
Dada

Please Bergevin, just don't

Old
02-15-2013, 05:59 AM
ClasslessGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
I don't think Cole and Pacioretty are much better than Armstrong and Moen this year.

I really don't care what people say, Eller/DD showed some nice chemistry and they should be on the same line.

For a team struggling to score lately, there is absolutely no reason for Brandon Prust to be in our Top-9.

Our 4th line plays 10-12 minutes per game anyway, so there is nothing wrong with going Moen - Prust - Armstrong, while putting one of Eller/DD on the wing.

lol @ calling Pleks a second line center
He should be .. But not on our team

Old
02-15-2013, 06:28 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
In my opinion O'Reilly would probably be our number one center if we would move Eller(or other players) for him. I love Plek but he's not the most physical guy, he's not that big, can't win faceoffs and disappears in the playoffs. O'Reilly is the type of guy we should build our club around as far as identity. Plek would be the number 2 guy(for the moment), Gally third center. DD would have to be moved to the wings or traded.
Plekanec definitely doesn't DISAPPEAR in the playoffs, but he often has to shadow stars on the opposition which affects his offense. Plus in may seasons, his ice time is not managed(1st PK 1st PP plus a ton of 5 on 5 ice time) and he wears down a bit.

He was a big factor the year we went to the conference final.

Old
02-15-2013, 06:31 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
Completely agree, Plekanec is a second line center and a pretty good one.

I have only skimmed through this thread but I noticed O'Reilly was mentioned quite often. He is a far superior player to Eller but there is no chance in **** that MB trades for him. We just went through a lengthy holdout with Subban based on organizational strategy and principals which I am fully supportive of. Does anybody really think that MB would **** in the face of Price, Subban and Pacioretty by giving O'Reilly the type of contract that he is demanding.......the answer is no.

Old
02-15-2013, 06:51 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
lol you're joking right

Old
02-15-2013, 06:57 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Plekanec definitely doesn't DISAPPEAR in the playoffs, but he often has to shadow stars on the opposition which affects his offense. Plus in may seasons, his ice time is not managed(1st PK 1st PP plus a ton of 5 on 5 ice time) and he wears down a bit.

He was a big factor the year we went to the conference final.
Yea, right. He was so great at "shadowing" Ovechkin.

Old
02-15-2013, 07:08 AM
Mike The Wall

Okay guys! I do believe there is one team that will try and get Eller and that is the BLUE JACKETS. The reason for that when Eller was drafted by St Louis the head scout thought of him being better then Kane that was drafted by Chicago. That Head scout is JARMO KEKALAINEN who is now the GM of the BLUE JACKETS. When Eller was traded to Montreal. JOHN DAVIDSON was upset that he had to part with Eller saying he has soo much upside! John is now the President of Hockey Operations/Alternate Governor of the Blue Jackets.

I am not saying a trade will happen but They will see if they can get him.

Old
02-15-2013, 07:11 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Yea, right. He was so great at "shadowing" Ovechkin.
The problem with Plekanec in the playoffs is not so much that he disappears as it is that he doesn't raise his level of play and doesn't get involved physically.

He is a professional who brings a solid consistent effort throughout the regular season but everything is ramped up in the playoffs and he doesn't rise to meet that new level of intensity. Markov also suffers from the same problem as neither player is very emotional and they just keep chugging along at their regular pace.

There is a reason that players like Bolland abd J.Staal still thrive offensively in the playoffs while playing against the opponents top lines and that is intensity and a balls to the wall attitude. This just isn't in Plekanec's game as he is very robotic in nature and doesn't respond either negatively or positively to his surrounding environment.

Old
02-15-2013, 07:11 AM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike The Wall View Post
Okay guys! I do believe there is one team that will try and get Eller and that is the BLUE JACKETS. The reason for that when Eller was drafted by St Louis the head scout thought of him being better then Kane that was drafted by Chicago. That Head scout is JARMO KEKALAINEN who is now the GM of the BLUE JACKETS. When Eller was traded to Montreal. JOHN DAVIDSON was upset that he had to part with Eller saying he has soo much upside! John is now the President of Hockey Operations/Alternate Governor of the Blue Jackets.

I am not saying a trade will happen but They will see if they can get him.
Eller for Brassard?

Old
02-15-2013, 07:12 AM
Mike The Wall

Oh yes for you guys thinking we can trade Cole. He has a no movement clause so Good Luck with that!

Old
02-15-2013, 07:15 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
There being interest does not mean he will be moved. I just wish he would be given a proper chance to sink or swim with higher caliber line mates.

Old
02-15-2013, 07:20 AM
Patty Roy

For the record under no circumstances would i deal Eller unless its part of a package deal to upgrade our center position.

Looking ahead to next season i'm not sure that Desharnais will be back. I'm OK with Plekanec-Galchenyuk-Eller as our top 3 next year but an upgrade would be welcome.

Old
02-15-2013, 07:23 AM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy View Post
Eller for Brassard?
why?

Old
02-15-2013, 07:26 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
There being interest does not mean he will be moved. I just wish he would be given a proper chance to sink or swim with higher caliber line mates.
Eller has very poor hockey sense and hasn't shown the ability to play effectively with better offensive linemates. He is really starting to remind me of Patrick Poulin.

Poulin came into the league with Hartford and was touted as a potential 50 goal scoring power forward. He simply didn't have the instincts or the hands to actually reach these expectations. Everyone could plainly see his size and skating ability but the other aspects of his game were just not of NHL caliber.

Sometimes you just have to cut bait on these players while their value is still reasonable, otherwise you are perennially disappointed but hang on too long due to an upside that just isn't there.

Last edited by Estimated_Prophet: 02-15-2013 at 07:33 AM.
Old
02-15-2013, 07:33 AM
Teufelsdreck

People complain about Plekanec in the playoffs? Beggars can't be choosers.The Habs have to get there first and with their leaky D and tendency to take penalties they need Plekanec night in, night out, to qualify. As for his offensive playoff performance, doesn't that also reflect what his line mates contribute? Is it fair to expect him to be Mario or Sidney or Evgeny?

As for Eller, please remind me of the great forwards he regularly plays with.

Old
02-15-2013, 07:36 AM
Madevilz

Id rather keep Eller than DD.
Once Galchy gets more comfortable in the NHL, Top 2 C are already filled with Plekanec. DD doesn't fit on the 3rd line, but Eller sure could.

Old
02-15-2013, 07:41 AM
e46330ivs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
lol you're joking right
I think pretty much everyone agrees that Plekanec is probably one of the best second line centre in the league, he's 1a/1b on our team though, so stop laughing at yourself.

Closed Thread