HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Quarter of the season in, Habs' best player(s)

Old
02-15-2013, 07:47 AM
TennisMenace

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
Well to be fair, MT hasn't used the Gally line in defensive zone faceoffs and they haven't played against the other teams top lines either. Big difference when comparing top lines and 3rd lines.

They've done very well so far, but I'd say it's in large part due to MT putting them in the right situation to succeed and under the right conditions. They're our future and MT is doing a godd job with their development. I can say this even though it pains me to compliment MT as I hate him, though the "new & improved" version of him is slowly thawing out the cold. Now if he would just swap DD with Eller on the used to be top line with Patches and Cole, I'd be really happy. That would be one big, fast, skilled and gritty line that ANY team to have trouble defending.
I prefer to see DD moved, but will agree in the meantime to swap he with Eller. Eller, like Gally and Chuckie are our future hopes. DD isn't.

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 07:53 AM
nilan30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisMenace View Post
Thank God for Gally and Chuckie. The thought of not having them playing for us is unnerving. Did you know Gally has the most 5-5 goals on the team with 4?
And Chuckie leads the team with a plus 7 with Gally second with plus 5.
Every other forward not named Bourque is swimming in mediocrity, or less. Our top line is still in lockout mode and its debatable if they ever recover. Personally, I think Patches will, but am dubious about other two. Oh, I know Pleks has 6 goals, but 3 are PP, and he still is on the ice more when the opposition scores than not (-3). Last year was much worse too.

Final thoughts: I would like to move DD and Gionta before the deadline and replace them with larger bodies. And of course, replace Armstrong with a proven nasty heavy weight.

Your comments and rebuttals are welcomed.
I've got to say I've been very happy with Prust so far this year. He's been everything I'd hoped for when he was signed. I agree with moving Desharnais and Gionta. Especially Gionta. I still think this team needs more size on the back end more then anything. I don't know who I take out of the top six though. Bouillon to me has looked better than I ever remember him looking. Emelin is our best physical presence back there. Markov, PK and Gorges aren't going anywhere. I guess Diaz despite his good start could be the odd man out for someone bigger a la Douglas Murray or Mark Stuart. If this is the case though the Habs really need to work on a forward or two who can man the point on the PP.

nilan30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 07:58 AM
TennisMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilan30 View Post
I've got to say I've been very happy with Prust so far this year. He's been everything I'd hoped for when he was signed. I agree with moving Desharnais and Gionta. Especially Gionta. I still think this team needs more size on the back end more then anything. I don't know who I take out of the top six though. Bouillon to me has looked better than I ever remember him looking. Emelin is our best physical presence back there. Markov, PK and Gorges aren't going anywhere. I guess Diaz despite his good start could be the odd man out for someone bigger a la Douglas Murray or Mark Stuart. If this is the case though the Habs really need to work on a forward or two who can man the point on the PP.
100% agree about more size on the back end. I guess the Habs think Tinordi will be that guy next year, so maybe there is no urgency to find one this year.

Old
02-15-2013, 08:06 AM
pezcore

Id switch DD for Galchenyuk on the "1st line" and watch the magic unfold...or at least try it as the first wave of the PP

pezcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 08:13 AM
Miller Time

Pleks
Price
Subban
Markov

With HM to Gally, chucky, Bourque, Diaz

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 08:17 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by pezcore View Post
Id switch DD for Galchenyuk on the "1st line" and watch the magic unfold...or at least try it as the first wave of the PP
Why rush Galchenyuk into the spotlight? Let the kid develop without the extra pressure and overblown expectations. Plus on his current line he gets esaier defensive matchups.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 08:18 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilan30 View Post
Mark Stuart is barely 200lbs like Gorgees, doesn't address the size thing.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 08:27 AM
WhiskeySeven
BargainUnbinned

Gionta no doubt. Heart and soul player, leader on and off the ice, it's a shame most of this fanbase doesn't appreciate his work ethic.

WhiskeySeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 08:32 AM
TennisMenace

Price is our best player
Markov won 3 games for us
Bourque is biggest surprise
Pleks is most consistent
The Gallys upside is exciting
Prust has most heart

Old
02-15-2013, 08:43 AM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtchum View Post
Plekanec
Price
Markov
This.

With the Gally's solid in their rookie season... and PK coming on strong.

and RB as the most improved.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 09:09 AM
HABS7COM

1- Price
2- Pleks
3- Markov

Pleasantly surprised with Galchenyuk, Gallagher & Prust!

HABS7COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 09:30 AM
Madevilz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisMenace View Post
Price is our best player
Markov won 3 games for us
Bourque is biggest surprise
Pleks is most consistent
The Gallys upside is exciting
Prust has most heart
/thread

Madevilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 09:37 AM
lou4gehrig

It's easy to take Price for granted. But this team doesn't do anything without Price. He's carried team. Plek hasn't.

Source: See Budaj's starts.

lou4gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 10:18 AM
Captain Saku

Plekanec for sure with Price very close behind and the podium is completed with Markov.

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 10:41 AM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Not to dismiss what Markov's done for us, especially in the first few games, but am I the only that finds Subban has been superior since coming back?

Also, I'm really happy with Eller and Bourque's play as well this year.

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 10:56 AM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Gionta no doubt. Heart and soul player, leader on and off the ice, it's a shame most of this fanbase doesn't appreciate his work ethic.
Thus far and specifically for this season, there are a lot of players (Price, Plekanec, Markov, Bourque...) who are bringing more to the table than Gionta. However people in here undervalue his importance on our 1st line: he is a defensively reliable, tenacious, low maintenance (no bs) vet, one who can score 20-30 goals per season and he comes to work every freakin' games.

So I agree with the general idea of your post. In fact I think Gionta is our new Hamrlik: he became one of (“the most” imo) our most underrated players. Am I surprised? Heck no! In here a player over 26 years old is often labeled as “old”!

A healthy Gionta => better Montreal Canadiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by fufonzo View Post
Not to dismiss what Markov's done for us, especially in the first few games, but am I the only that finds Subban has been superior since coming back?

Also, I'm really happy with Eller and Bourque's play as well this year.
Subban is a great player but I still give the edge to Markov mainly because, imo, he takes better decisions. That said, we are chatting about two very different D here and I find it difficult to correctly compare the two players.

I am a huge fan of both btw!

As for Eller I somewhat disagree. As I already mentioned: "Until recently, Eller was invisible. Thus far and globally, he is not amongst our best players. However he has been good recently (I wish for Eller – Desharnais – Cole tonight) and if he keeps it up, his name will appear on top of most mid season reports..."

Last edited by Kjell Dahlin: 02-15-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 11:07 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Lack of leadership, production and finish. I find him to be the weakest link on the top line and a lot of plays die on his stick. If he was snakebitten I would say that but he just doesn't appear to be putting in the effort or going to the "dirty" areas. Out of those 5 I think he is the one I am least worried about turning it around.
I don't agree about the leadership or him not putting in the effort. I feel he does, and I still see him go to the same areas as he always has.
Production and Finish, sure, I can agree there. I wanted Gionta to play on a 3rd line with Eller when speaking of the team before the season started. I believe he would be a much better fit on a 3rd line versus weaker opponents with a skilled center. Together they could dominate opposition both offensively and defensively.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 11:09 AM
MsChanandlerBong
The Chan-Chan Man

Plekanec and Price

MsChanandlerBong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 11:13 AM
Charon

I think that Plekanec and Price have been our best players so far this year.

Plekanec has been generating a lot of offense, while being as good as a player can be in his defensive zone.

Price has been excellent this year. He's a top five goalie in this league in my books, and he will be for a while.

Markov and Prust deserve honorable mentions. Markov has been leading a lot of offense, especially on the PP, and he's generally been solid defensively. Prust has been solid - he rarely does anything wrong defensively, he plays with intensity which always kicks whatever line he's on into gear, and he actually has enough skill to regularly create some offense.

Surprise of the year for me is Bouillon. He's been excellent as a bottom pairing d-man for the habs so far this year. He doesn't make many mistakes, he hits hard, and he demonstrates a suprising amount of poise with the puck.

Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 11:23 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
Subban is a great player but I still give the edge to Markov mainly because, imo, he takes better decisions.
Markov sees/reads the ice much better, too. Subban has the tools to make great things happen once he commits to executing, but I think it's readily obvious that he doesn't have the feel for how the play is going to develop from decision to decision (for everyone involved on the ice, mind you) that Markov does.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:10 PM
drewbloodfins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
1-Plekanec
2-Price
3-Markov
This.

drewbloodfins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 01:17 PM
Adriatic

Markov has been good I won't take anything away from him, but we have had a very soft schedule so far. He looked very shaky in both Leaf games, Sens and Bruins. We are lucky we haven't really played any good teams so far that are very physical. When his shifts get too long he looks horribly slow out there, I just hope they don't burn him out. If they keep his ice time under 24-25 min he will be good, anything over that he won't last long because he's definitely not one of those horses that can play 25-30 min every night for the whole season.

I underestimated how good PK was before this year. The more this guy plays the better, he's just a pure horse out there and it won't be long until he becomes this team's mvp. If his coaches do the right thing he's gonna be a real stud, one of the best in the league. The guy had no training camp but he's a ppg player, already has 3 goals..ridiculous!

Adriatic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 01:25 PM
Darth Karpan
Formerly HiggsBozon

If I had to choose an "All star starting lineup" for the Habs depending on their play so far this season, it would be:

Bourque - Plekanec - Galchenyuk/Gallagher
Markov - Subban
Price

If I wanted to choose a laughable lineup consisting of players playing bad, it would look like:
Pacioretty - Desharnais - Cole
Emelin - Weber
Budaj

Darth Karpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 01:34 PM
habsfanatics*

Pleks AINEC. I would put Subban number two since his arrival.

habsfanatics* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 02:34 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

In general, our 3rd and 4th lines have been outperforming the opposition's 3rd and 4th lines, while the top 2 lines are struggling.

It kind of solidifies the idea that the habs don't have true top end forwards, or at least that their top end guys are under-performing because and pacioretty are capable of being better but they do have good depth.

Galchenyuk and Gallagher are fine right where they are. Keep them sheltered and you will get the most out of them.

Hackett is online now   Reply With Quote