HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Has JR vindicated himself?

Old
02-14-2013, 10:38 PM
Zombie Mike Murphy

vCash: 500
Has JR vindicated himself?

I know it's sorta early days still, but based on the last 5 games or so, Corvo (Whom I will freely admit to bashing in the offseason) is really looking like he's not only worth the money, but may even be a steal at $2m.

Zombie Mike Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:43 PM
dogbazinho

Too early to tell. If we make the playoffs and he resigns Semin to a fair contract I'd say he did extremely well in the offseason. If Semin walks because JR refuses to negotiate mid-season I'll be back to hating him.

dogbazinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:05 PM
Hockyluv21

Well, Corvo was already pretty damn cheap even without his improved play: 1 year/$2M is a tiny price considering how ridiculous the UFA market always is for defensemen. To give a little perspective, this year scrubs like Greg Zanon and Aaron Rome could get 2 years/$2.25M per and 3 years/$1.5M per, respectively!!! Considering that this move was basically for depth, any additional good play is a bonus for us.

Last edited by Hockyluv21: 02-14-2013 at 11:12 PM.
Hockyluv21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:12 PM
Mr America

Corvo hasn't been as bad as people would like to think. It's just that some mistakes he has made has lead directly to goals by the opponents.

Mr America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:13 PM
La Huracanista

Corvo's produced well in a few recent games. This does not mean he will continue to produce, and I'm not willing to discount an entire bad season in Boston over a handful of games. I'm not rooting against the guy, I was thrilled for him tonight.

In terms of JR...he's won us the Cup. He's largely built good teams (especially when we had Lavi) but he's also built a few clunkers while fooling us into believing they were something (the infamous Aaron Ward + Stephan Yelle season. Gritty vets!)

But overall, when you consider the budget he's had to work with, he's a good GM.

La Huracanista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:20 PM
Hockyluv21

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Huracanista View Post
In terms of JR...he's won us the Cup. He's largely built good teams (especially when we had Lavi) but he's also built a few clunkers while fooling us into believing they were something (the infamous Aaron Ward + Stephan Yelle season. Gritty vets!)
As slow and used up as Aaron Ward was that season...at least it was an expiring contract, so the pain was over pretty damn quickly (Boston's still paying the Eaves buyout).

Old
02-14-2013, 11:33 PM
La Huracanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockyluv21 View Post
As slow and used up as Aaron Ward was that season...at least it was an expiring contract, so the pain was over pretty damn quickly (Boston's still paying the Eaves buyout).
Haha, well the team overall was genuinely crap. Ward and Yelle were just sold to us as important additions when they were just...ugh.

La Huracanista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:36 PM
Mr Whipple
Charmin Soft

Corvo plays a game of risk, and so things are pretty much at one extreme or the other. Either he does something and it comes back to bite him, or if he has other players helping cover for him or who are in the right place at the right time it doesn't and leads to some good chances instead. Then there are the games like the last couple, where his risks pay off big time.

Overall I'd say the chemistry is really starting to click with this team, and that's been a huge part in Corvo's play in that they are all playing well together. Hopefully they can keep it up and build on it.

Mr Whipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:36 PM
wallym

vCash: 615
One slick thing jr does is rarely makes lonterm mistakes. Aside from maybe Brindy's last contract, when the player goes belly up, they are usually gone by the next year. Contrast with buffalo or the isles.

wallym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:45 PM
Hockyluv21

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Huracanista View Post
Haha, well the team overall was genuinely crap. Ward and Yelle were just sold to us as important additions when they were just...ugh.
Yes, it was Of course, they did have the second best record in the league in the second half IIRC, and one thing that the junk on that team had were highly tradeable, expiring/short-term deals. That season, we were able to parlay what were basically used pucks into Tlusty, Osala, Nash, Sanguinetti, a 2nd, a 3rd, a 4th, a 6th, and a 7th. Even JR's bad moves often have silver linings from cap/asset management perspectives.

Last edited by Hockyluv21: 02-14-2013 at 11:58 PM.
Old
02-15-2013, 12:16 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Early.... yes early.... the Semin move is the best free agent pickup we've ever made. If we can lock him up at a number lower than what he's making this year for future seasons, it'll be a real game changer if he continues to bring the heat the way he has thus far. I hope he doesn't get frustrated with a lack of goal scoring and start neglecting the pleasant surprises in his game like his defensive ability and his forechecking.

Corvo? Corvo is Corvo. He'll have ten bad games, a handful of awesome games, then he'll revert back. Don't fall in love with Corvo on a hot streak.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 06:08 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Corvo was AWFUL until he sat those three games... Way to early to be excited about his play

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 07:27 AM
geehaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
Don't fall in love with Corvo on a hot streak.
And stop *****ing and moaning at him when he's on the cold one.

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 08:04 AM
bleedgreen

He's a stop gap. A band aid. No different than him bringing back any vet under his "the devil you know" theory. He could always have good games. He's always been athletic with a good shot and puck skills. The issue has always been game sense. I haven't seen any changes there.

Remember he got a hat trick in his first game against Ottawa? That was amazing. When challenged he can respond well. It's the day to day that messes up joe. I'd rather have him in a playoff game than sangs if it was today, but overall I think we still need to develop his replacement. I thought Jordan looked pretty good for his first game.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 08:05 AM
wallym

vCash: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Anton View Post
Corvo was AWFUL until he sat those three games... Way to early to be excited about his play
Is Corvo the only one who doesn't get a pass on an awful start this season? Guys been good. Better than good. He's doing all the things we could hope for offensively, and has been slick and mostly error free in the defensive zone.

My hopes are up.

wallym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 08:29 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
And stop *****ing and moaning at him when he's on the cold one.
His bad streaks are infinitely more extreme than his good streaks

Old
02-15-2013, 08:30 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
He's a stop gap. A band aid. No different than him bringing back any vet under his "the devil you know" theory. He could always have good games. He's always been athletic with a good shot and puck skills. The issue has always been game sense. I haven't seen any changes there.

Remember he got a hat trick in his first game against Ottawa? That was amazing. When challenged he can respond well. It's the day to day that messes up joe. I'd rather have him in a playoff game than sangs if it was today, but overall I think we still need to develop his replacement. I thought Jordan looked pretty good for his first game.

If used as a band-aid, then this is all good... If he gets an extension then

Old
02-15-2013, 08:31 AM
FlyingSquirrels

Biggest mistake: Signing Tomas Kaberle to that horiffic deal.

Best move: Searching out Pierre Gauthier to take that contract off his hands in exchange for an expiring contract (Spacek).

FlyingSquirrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 08:40 AM
Beardy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSquirrels View Post
Biggest mistake: Signing Tomas Kaberle to that horiffic deal.

Best move: Searching out Pierre Gauthier to take that contract off his hands in exchange for an expiring contract (Spacek).
lol seriously.... how in the world did we get that monster off our books?

Beardy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 08:45 AM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

Is everyone comfortable going to playoff war with our group of defensemen because I'm not? Im fine with Gleason, Joni, Faulk, and Harrison but beyond that there is noone I can consistently trust and noone who is difficult to play against.

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 08:47 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by faulkingdynamic View Post
Is everyone comfortable going to playoff war with our group of defensemen because I'm not? Im fine with Gleason, Joni, Faulk, and Harrison but beyond that there is noone I can consistently trust and noone who is difficult to play against.
Anyone else think Jordan may stick over Sangs by the end?

Old
02-15-2013, 08:55 AM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
His bad streaks are infinitely more extreme than his good streaks
He was the first star of the game last night. An infinitely worse extreme would be what? Pulling down his pants and putting the puck in his own net all in one motion?

Joe McGrath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 09:04 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

He was the worst player on the ice the first 3 games... that's worse

Old
02-15-2013, 09:07 AM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by faulkingdynamic View Post
Oh, I'm not sure any of us are comfortable with our d in a playoff situation. With all of them healthy we seem probably two solid guys short a cup challenger. If Pitts is the top, I think we need another top pairing guy. That's just me though.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 09:10 AM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
He was the worst player on the ice the first 3 games... that's worse
Sanguinetti played the first two games so, no he wasn't.

Joe McGrath is online now   Reply With Quote