HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Lars Eller Thread - Coffee Shop Edition

Closed Thread

Old
02-15-2013, 08:40 AM
fufonzo

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
Hogwash is to ignore the impact of playing on a team behind the likes of Crosby/malkin or toews/Kane/hossa, vs being the #1 target of the opposition.

As much as bolland & stall may be used by their teams vs the oppositions best, the opposite isn't true.

Plekanec, for the past several years, has been the habs #1 C, on top of being the guy used vs the oppositions best, he's also been the target the the oppositions best defence most of the time.

The notion that he doesn't "elevate his game" is pure BS. One look at his consistently high level of play with the Czech squad (amazing what he can do with some talented linemates, isn't it) shows that the guy can compete well in clutch situations.

Like koi I before him, he's simply never been adequately surrounded with the habs to be that effective come playoff time.

He's not an elite guy who will create his own offence regardless of linemates & fwd depth, sure, but that's a far cry from labelling him the way you are.
Well said. Don't think they'll read it though, or care. They're mind's made up.

Pleks could be PPG for the rest of the year and playoffs but it wouldn't be enough for them. They've made up their minds on him and changing that would be admitting they were wrong. Not going to happen.

Old
02-15-2013, 08:41 AM
Mats86

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Teams will either pay for potential or give us a prospect that reflect Eller's own potential but fit better our needs.

While Ellery has shown good things on occasion, his emergence as a bona-fide top 6 centre is far from certain. We could transfer the risk/reward to another team, would the price be right.
What would this return be? Something like an O'Reilly? May have to give up our first pick with Eller to get this done. Maybe if they take Kaberle also?

Old
02-15-2013, 08:45 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
What would this return be? Something like an O'Reilly? May have to give up our first pick with Eller to get this done. Maybe if they take Kaberle also?
That's where I pass.

Yes O'reilly is better than Eller and may become a better NHLer down the road, but we would lose cap room in that deal so if we have to trade our 1st I say no thanks.

I would do this...

Eller + Nash 2nd
for
O'reilly +Col 7th

Old
02-15-2013, 08:47 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Eller and a 1st for O'Reilly? Christ almighty. I feel like people don't even know who Ryan O'Reilly is, just that he's this mythical entity who exists, is available, and is a magic solution to all our problems. Not to mention the fact that we'd apparently have to pay him $5m per to even get him to sign.

I'm not opposed to trading Eller if the price is right, but he's playing great hockey lately. He deserves a chance with good linemates and significant PP time and I'd hope it's with us that he gets that chance, even if we have to send DD down a line or two to do so.

Old
02-15-2013, 08:57 AM
Habsfannick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinghab View Post
No I was just stating that if we do make an offer for O'Reilly to try and include Kabs and DD. Obviously the package would need to include other players and/ or picks. If we continue to play like this then the need for this trade decreases.
Okay my bad was kinda in a bad mood when that occurred sorry but still adding kaberle is like adding a minus so we'd have to add even more to make up for him

Old
02-15-2013, 08:58 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Eller and a 1st for O'Reilly? Christ almighty. I feel like people don't even know who Ryan O'Reilly is, just that he's this mythical entity who exists, is available, and is a magic solution to all our problems. Not to mention the fact that we'd apparently have to pay him $5m per to even get him to sign.

I'm not opposed to trading Eller if the price is right, but he's playing great hockey lately. He deserves a chance with good linemates and significant PP time and I'd hope it's with us that he gets that chance, even if we have to send DD down a line or two to do so.
thinking the same, and assuming he keeps playing well and developing (still young), a center line of Plekanec, Galchenuyk and Eller (whatever order) would be solid IMO, very good.

Old
02-15-2013, 09:01 AM
Andy

Eller vs Desharnais is the new Price vs Halak. Though this time there is room for both players on the team and the solution is simple. Put Desharnais on the wing and keep Eller at centre.

Old
02-15-2013, 09:03 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post

Definitely glad some of the posters aren't our GM. I like ROR but we are in no position to trade our 1st unless of course the Avs would want to swap then I'll gladly do it

Old
02-15-2013, 09:03 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Colorado is in a contract dispute don't know why Eller straight up doesn't get a deal done for the suddenly mythical O'Reilly.

Then you trade DD to anyone willing to take Kaberle off your hands.

Old
02-15-2013, 09:06 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Colorado is in a contract dispute don't know why Eller straight up doesn't get a deal done for the suddenly mythical O'Reilly.

Then you trade DD to anyone willing to take Kaberle off your hands.
The team has to then sign Desharnais to a new deal and take on 4.25 cap hit of Kaberle next year. Doubt many teams are going to be lining up. Kaberle IMO will end up being bought out this summer and playing in Europe next year

Old
02-15-2013, 09:07 AM
disturbedraven
Lets rock

Guys, remember to use common sense.
There is NO WAY they trade Eller in a deal for O'Reilly. Why? Contract.
You are not going to force PK to sit out and break him and his agent to take a 5mill contract for 2 years only to have O'Reilly come in (who has turned down 8 mill over 2 years)and give in to his payday demands.

Not going to happen

Old
02-15-2013, 09:36 AM
groovejuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by disturbedraven View Post
Guys, remember to use common sense.
There is NO WAY they trade Eller in a deal for O'Reilly. Why? Contract.
You are not going to force PK to sit out and break him and his agent to take a 5mill contract for 2 years only to have O'Reilly come in (who has turned down 8 mill over 2 years)and give in to his payday demands.

Not going to happen
Better not happen.

Old
02-15-2013, 09:41 AM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Eller vs Desharnais is the new Price vs Halak. Though this time there is room for both players on the team and the solution is simple. Put Desharnais on the wing and keep Eller at centre.
It's really the only solution other than trading DD.

Old
02-15-2013, 09:53 AM
Captain Saku

People tend to think that any kid that makes it to the NHL at 18 yrs old will automatically be a future superstar.

ROR is a very good 2 way center but will probably be a good #2 center but never a true #1.

He will be the next overpaid and overrated player.

Old
02-15-2013, 09:54 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
You can always play a center on the wing. Trading DD is far from the only solution.

Old
02-15-2013, 09:54 AM
disturbedraven
Lets rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
I'd be all for giving DD a shot on the wing. It could be something that helps him out of his horrid start. If it doesn't work then at least they tried something. If he doesn't start playing better, he could very well be playing himself out of a new contract with this team.

Old
02-15-2013, 10:02 AM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Brassard is already 25 and is a fringe top 6 guy making 3.2 mil a year. Unless he has some epiphany and suddenly becomes a much better player, he is not a guy I'd give much for in a trade. The type of player you can get on the UFA market.

I don't agree he is more skilled and has more upside than Eller offensively PLUS Eller is bigger and better defensively...plus much better cap hit and 2 years younger.
Eller is bigger and better defensively...i will give you that, but in no way, shape or form does he have as much offensive skill and hockey sense as Derrick Brassard.

It would be a project for project swap. Both players have upside but have to a certain degree fallen out of favour with their current clubs. I maintain that Brassard has the potential to give us more on the top 2 lines than Eller could.

Old
02-15-2013, 10:04 AM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
You can always play a center on the wing. Trading DD is far from the only solution.
That's what I'm saying. Play DD on the wing or trade him - he's not a Michel Therrien centre.

Old
02-15-2013, 10:09 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
People tend to think that any kid that makes it to the NHL at 18 yrs old will automatically be a future superstar.

ROR is a very good 2 way center but will probably be a good #2 center but never a true #1.

Yeah, but he fits a need. The team's largest one. Skill, size, faceoff ability.

Old
02-15-2013, 10:17 AM
Sorinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
Hogwash is to ignore the impact of playing on a team behind the likes of Crosby/malkin or toews/Kane/hossa, vs being the #1 target of the opposition.

As much as bolland & stall may be used by their teams vs the oppositions best, the opposite isn't true.

Plekanec, for the past several years, has been the habs #1 C, on top of being the guy used vs the oppositions best, he's also been the target the the oppositions best defence most of the time.

The notion that he doesn't "elevate his game" is pure BS. One look at his consistently high level of play with the Czech squad (amazing what he can do with some talented linemates, isn't it) shows that the guy can compete well in clutch situations.

Like koi I before him, he's simply never been adequately surrounded with the habs to be that effective come playoff time.

He's not an elite guy who will create his own offence regardless of linemates & fwd depth, sure, but that's a far cry from labelling him the way you are.
He's had two seasons where he's had a "30" goal scorer on his wing. Once with Kovalev scoring 35, and once with Cammy scoring 26 in 65 games. He put up 69 & 70pts. Get this guy a consistent scoring winger.

Old
02-15-2013, 10:20 AM
Sorinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy View Post
Eller is bigger and better defensively...i will give you that, but in no way, shape or form does he have as much offensive skill and hockey sense as Derrick Brassard.

It would be a project for project swap. Both players have upside but have to a certain degree fallen out of favour with their current clubs. I maintain that Brassard has the potential to give us more on the top 2 lines than Eller could.
If Eller doesn't work out as a top-6 then he's still a very good #3. If Brassard doesn't work out then he useless for us. That's not a good gamble.

Old
02-15-2013, 10:21 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Don't put words in my mouth. That's stupid talk.

Old
02-15-2013, 10:24 AM
Sorinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
The team has to then sign Desharnais to a new deal and take on 4.25 cap hit of Kaberle next year. Doubt many teams are going to be lining up. Kaberle IMO will end up being bought out this summer and playing in Europe next year
If Kaberle is traded the team acquiring him probably does so knowing they will buy him out in the summer. So you need to find a team willing to 'waste' money and doesn't need both it's buyouts.

Old
02-15-2013, 10:37 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy View Post

For all his skill and hockey sense, Brassard has not been very productive. He's been getting top 6 ice time and PP pretty much his last 2+ years and has 161 GP 33-62-95 totals including 12-24-36 on the PP.

I don't think Eller has fallen out of favor at all, in fact he is getting more and more responsibility since being scratched. I think if you give him the opportunities Brassard has had the last 2+ years he can match those totals, for a lesser cap hit while bringing better defensive play. He put up 16 goals last year with pretty crappy linemates mostly due to injuries and trades.

The clincher is 1.2 mil cap hit and 2 years younger vs 3.2 mil cap hit.

Old
02-15-2013, 10:41 AM
Mad Habber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post

I just don't see any more upside to this guy. I think this is his peak. 50-55 points depending on the wingers and ice time.

Where does he slot in Montreal. Behind Pleks for sure. In the future behind Galchenyuk. So does he beat out DD. Don't know. He plays more like he was DD size than DD does. He is soft. Only six feet tall, so we would be getting bigger or tougher, quite the opposite. He has a over inflated opinion of his talents and worth and puts himself above his team. So what's not to like, right. I wouldn't give Colorado anything for him. Don't want him.

As far as trading Eller or DD or Pleks. I don't see anything happening before the summer.

I see us keeping Pleks as the #1 guy for next season. Galchenyuk the #2 guy. Just a natural progression. And that leaves the #3 position open and both DD and Eller are auditioning for this position right now.

Closed Thread