HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12/13 Draft Thread: Browsing Craig's List 20-24.

Closed Thread

Old
02-15-2013, 01:11 AM
jughead42

vCash: 500
The guy I'd like the Leafs to target is Kerby Rychel. It looks like we might not be drafting at the top this season for a change (knock on wood) and if we're picking later in the first he's a pretty safe pick. The kid has been bred to be an NHL player, and he has some very good qualities as a player. He goes to the tough areas to score goals, he's got an NHL caliber shot that he's good at getting off, and he plays with a reasonable amount of sandpaper and grit. Let's not forget the truculence factor, he isn't a heavyweight but he'll stand up for himself. I know its a homer pick as a Windsor fan, but he's a sure fire NHL player with his combination of abilities and pedigree. He might as well play for my favorite NHL team too.

Old
02-15-2013, 10:16 AM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Big change in the latest ISS rankings. Like a s*** ton of change.

Nichushkin at 2nd, Nurse at 5th, Zadarov at 6, Barkov at 7.

All I can say is...interesting.

Old
02-15-2013, 10:19 AM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by theIceWookie View Post

I hope they're right, and Barkov keeps on falling.... Right into our laps.

But, let's be real. Nichushkin isn't as good as Nate OR Drouin.

Old
02-15-2013, 10:58 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by theIceWookie View Post

Remember when I said Nichuskin would rise in rankings and by years end he would be ahead of Barkov?

I know one poster who is often wrong here, Ern_e(fill in the blank), disagreed with me.

Not surprised Nichuskin is at #2, also not Jones is #1. Mackinnon dropping is interesting, he hasn't distinguished himself like last year, maybe he has plateaued as a prospect. As mentioned in this thread I love Zadorov, he's moved past Barkov also.

Adam Erne has all but fallen out of the 1st round too, bad attitude means bad ratings.

Old
02-15-2013, 11:03 AM
Badger Mayhew

vCash: 50
EDIT: Misread

Old
02-15-2013, 11:04 AM
Terrence
Registered Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Remember when I said Nichuskin would rise in rankings and by years end he would be ahead of Barkov?

I know one poster who is often wrong here, Ern_e(fill in the blank), disagreed with me.

Not surprised Nichuskin is at #2, also not Jones is #1. Mackinnon dropping is interesting, he hasn't distinguished himself like last year, maybe he has plateaued as a prospect. As mentioned in this thread I love Zadorov, he's moved past Barkov also.

Adam Erne has all but fallen out of the 1st round too, bad attitude means bad ratings.
Adam Erne was ranked 26th.

02-15-2013, 11:06 AM
donkeyy0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrence View Post
"all but fallen out of the first round" implies that he's ranked as a late 1st rounder.

Old
02-15-2013, 11:09 AM
Interactif

Quote:
He's higher on other lists, wonder if this will be Grigorenko trend, we will see. Scouts love character. Erne is a ? in this department, don't let anyone tell you otherwise with his smoke and mirror routine.

Old
02-15-2013, 11:10 AM
Terrence
Registered Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeyy0 View Post
"all but fallen out of the first round" implies that he's ranked as a late 1st rounder.
Misread.

Quote:
He's higher on other lists, wonder if this will be Grigorenko trend, we will see. Scouts love character. Erne is a ? in this department, don't let anyone tell you otherwise with his smoke and mirror routine.
Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Old
02-15-2013, 11:11 AM
donkeyy0

But isn't it kind of understood that grigorenko shouldve gone earlier than he did? Regardless of whatever perceived Russian and work ethic issues he had?

Old
02-15-2013, 11:14 AM
Interactif

Quote:
But isn't it kind of understood that grigorenko shouldve gone earlier than he did? Regardless of whatever perceived Russian and work ethic issues he had?
If I am correct, I was told Erne was benched also at the under 17 for Team USA, when he returned he played lights out, but this is the type of project you are in for if you draft him. He's young, but I would rather take a guy that already has good character and not have to worry will this kid will grow up and improve his character.

Does not sound like a guy Mo will like.

Old
02-15-2013, 11:15 AM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Misread.

Guess we'll have to wait and see.
Don't let anyone tell you otherwise, not even his coaches, scouts, and people who have actually met the kid.... Lol.

Last edited by ULF_55: 02-15-2013 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Don't discuss ignores.
Old
02-15-2013, 11:21 AM
donkeyy0

Quote:
If I am correct, I was told Erne was benched also at the under 17 for Team USA, when he returned he played lights out, but this is the type of project you are in for if you draft him. He's young, but I would rather take a guy that already has good character and not have to worry will this kid will grow up and improve his character.

Does not sound like a guy Mo will like.
You're probably right, and character is important, but what if he does put it all together and grows up, and the guy you picked (Rychel or whoever) like 5/6 picks earlier becomes a 3rd line journeyman?

If you're considering a downgrade on talent because of character issues, i have to think that's a mistake. Obviously if everything else is equal then you take the kid with a good head on his shoulders.

I completely agree that Mo probably isn't in on him though

Old
02-15-2013, 11:35 AM
Interactif

Quote:
You're probably right, and character is important, but what if he does put it all together and grows up, and the guy you picked (Rychel or whoever) like 5/6 picks earlier becomes a 3rd line journeyman?

If you're considering a downgrade on talent because of character issues, i have to think that's a mistake. Obviously if everything else is equal then you take the kid with a good head on his shoulders.

I completely agree that Mo probably isn't in on him though
I like the direction our team and prospects are heading, character guys you need not worry about, selfish players can be a cancer to the team, rather have all pulling the rope rather a few. It's not worth it if we can get a character guy who is also good on the ice. Ryan Callaghan is a good example of this, and Hartman is this sort of player.

Old
02-15-2013, 11:44 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
The guy I'd like the Leafs to target is Kerby Rychel. It looks like we might not be drafting at the top this season for a change (knock on wood) and if we're picking later in the first he's a pretty safe pick. The kid has been bred to be an NHL player, and he has some very good qualities as a player. He goes to the tough areas to score goals, he's got an NHL caliber shot that he's good at getting off, and he plays with a reasonable amount of sandpaper and grit. Let's not forget the truculence factor, he isn't a heavyweight but he'll stand up for himself. I know its a homer pick as a Windsor fan, but he's a sure fire NHL player with his combination of abilities and pedigree. He might as well play for my favorite NHL team too.
I like draftees with hockey bloodlines. I'd think these kids would have an advantage simply being "coached" what it takes to be a pro from a very young age. I'm on board with the Rychel pick

Old
02-15-2013, 11:53 AM
Oan

Really would like to hear from that staff why Barkov suddenly drops now, quite mystifying really, as he has been red hot, 13 points in 12 games after WJC. Guess they didn't notice his team had a 2 week break, and thought that he went 2 weeks without points...

Old
02-15-2013, 12:08 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oan View Post
Really would like to hear from that staff why Barkov suddenly drops now, quite mystifying really, as he has been red hot, 13 points in 12 games after WJC. Guess they didn't notice his team had a 2 week break, and thought that he went 2 weeks without points...
One of many reasons why this list is... in short.... a bit ridiculous.

Old
02-15-2013, 01:34 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Quote:
I like the direction our team and prospects are heading, character guys you need not worry about, selfish players can be a cancer to the team, rather have all pulling the rope rather a few. It's not worth it if we can get a character guy who is also good on the ice. Ryan Callaghan is a good example of this, and Hartman is this sort of player.
Where we are currently slated to pick, I like Lazar. I don't quite understand why he has been slipping so much, the points might not be there but the attitude, skating, hockey sense, and goals (currently has 29 goals) are all there. I hope we get the chance to snag him.

Old
02-15-2013, 01:37 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oan View Post
I didn't know that. That is odd. The list must be somewhat old then, and is ranked based on the WJC. It seems that way if you look at it.

Interactif: still no mention of your Bailey kid.

Old
02-15-2013, 01:41 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

Someone could really get a doozy if it's true and Domi keeps on falling. He's scoring at a premier talent pace and just keeps falling back due to health concerns (diabetes). I wonder what the chances of this problem really being problematic for him.

I guess every year there is a consensus mistake or two. Maybe this will be the one. He certainly isn't lacking in build, at 5'9.25", 195lbs. Sounds like he's built like his old man. Who was a compact tank.

Old
02-15-2013, 01:51 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Naz View Post
Someone could really get a doozy if it's true and Domi keeps on falling. He's scoring at a premier talent pace and just keeps falling back due to health concerns (diabetes). I wonder what the chances of this problem really being problematic for him.

I guess every year there is a consensus mistake or two. Maybe this will be the one. He certainly isn't lacking in build, at 5'9.25", 195lbs. Sounds like he's built like his old man. Who was a compact tank.
Diabetes can be a very serious problem, if not managed properly. Especially at the pro level. I remember (though not pro) a young man (Running Back) that went to Florida St..... Jermaine Thomas, I believe. He had Diabetes, and despite being in a great nutrition and S&C program, he still struggled with it, and it altered his ability to be a difference maker at the college level.

Old
02-15-2013, 02:32 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurke View Post
Where we are currently slated to pick, I like Lazar. I don't quite understand why he has been slipping so much, the points might not be there but the attitude, skating, hockey sense, and goals (currently has 29 goals) are all there. I hope we get the chance to snag him.
You know I wasn't too impressed with him in games I saw, will need to see more, for this type of player the 3 that come off the top of my head, I would take:

Hartman
Rychel
Lazar

Something about Hartman I really like though, think he's got that something extra that is hard to measure, but it's there. Really a tonne of character, if we pick 20+ I would consider him, but if Bailey is available, I may just take him, and swing for the fences.

Old
02-15-2013, 02:43 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=11321

Well, I said earlier that mid season is just mid season, and that Biggs was 5th. mid season and look where he fell.

Still lots of time for players to move in both directions.

And I'm disappointed to see my guy at 2nd.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
02-15-2013, 02:45 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
I like draftees with hockey bloodlines. I'd think these kids would have an advantage simply being "coached" what it takes to be a pro from a very young age. I'm on board with the Rychel pick
Yes, blood lines:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=34229

Old
02-15-2013, 03:14 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Quote:
You know I wasn't too impressed with him in games I saw, will need to see more, for this type of player the 3 that come off the top of my head, I would take:

Hartman
Rychel
Lazar

Something about Hartman I really like though, think he's got that something extra that is hard to measure, but it's there. Really a tonne of character, if we pick 20+ I would consider him, but if Bailey is available, I may just take him, and swing for the fences.
I think we have enough players like Rychel, I don't think the skating is there either. We both see the value Mo places on skating. I like Hartman and Bailey though. It really depends where we pick, I see them as later firsts while Lazar is more of mid-first. I like them in the order of Lazar>Bailey>Hartman>Rychel. I also wouldn't mind taking a closer look at Valentin Zykov.

Closed Thread