HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Goaltending discussion thread (edit: Markstrom called up)

Old
02-13-2013, 10:39 PM
Benched

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
As far as I can tell, the only logical thing that being a Marlins fan teaches you is that you shouldn't be a Marlins fan.

Marlins season tickets should come with soap-on-a-rope.
You may be right. Unfortunately, not being a fan is easier said than done when you've been one for your entire existence.

Benched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:04 PM
Knightmare

vCash: 500
Honestly, what the hell is with all this talk about tanking???

We're 2 games out of a playoff spot....2.5 games out of the division lead...

Sure, we've looked horrible some games, but others we've looked pretty fantastic.

The season is hardly a quarter done...still plenty of time to pass teams, especially when Ottawa inevitably falls out of the race. And who knows whether Toronto or Montreal can keep it up?

Knightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:07 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightmare View Post

Sure, we've looked horrible some games, but others we've looked pretty fantastic.

The season is hardly a quarter done...still plenty of time to pass teams, especially when Ottawa inevitably falls out of the race. And who knows whether Toronto or Montreal can keep it up?
As is well known tanking is not in my DNA until almost mathamatically eliminated.

That said we are behind the 8 ball here a bit so a wining streak is needed and soon.

That usually is sparked by a hot goaltender.

Continue thread.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:12 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:

4 points back doesn't seem like a lot, but look at historical data.

It's a lot harder to make up lost ground than people think.

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:10 PM
Knightmare

Quote:

For sure it's hard, but is that grounds for tanking already..?

Knightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:17 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
For sure it's hard, but is that grounds for tanking already..?
Teams don't "tank"... (okay, teams not playing in Pittsburgh don't tank)... Tallon & Dineen are not going to intentionally throw games.

They are also not going to give up any piece of the future for improvement in the present. Technically it's not tanking, but the net result is the same.

Old
02-14-2013, 10:36 PM
Howboutthempanthers
No Bandwagon Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBPantherfan View Post
If they bring up Markstrom because Viner feels pressure from twitter this team is crap. Viner owns Tallon manages. Being a Cowboy fan trust me you don't the owner making personel decisions. How did that work out for the Panthers with Cohen sticking his nose into running the team? Not to mention once Viner tells Tallon what to do with the roster the players lose all respect for Tallon because they know Viner has the power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBPantherfan View Post
I hope the successful Viner lets his hockey people make their decisions I hate owners that F with their teams. And no I don't think he would let twitter people influence him I just hope he trusts Tallon to do his job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benched View Post
Being a Marlins fan teaches you the same lesson.
Quote:
As far as I can tell, the only logical thing that being a Marlins fan teaches you is that you shouldn't be a Marlins fan.

Marlins season tickets should come with soap-on-a-rope.
I agree with all of this. Loria sucks, Jones sucks, Cohen sucks.

Howboutthempanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:39 PM
flapanthersfan

i'll gladly come in here and give credit where credit is due, and theodore was fantastic today so he deserves it.

hopefully he can play this way on a consistent basis from now on.

flapanthersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 09:02 AM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapanthersfan View Post
i'll gladly come in here and give credit where credit is due, and theodore was fantastic today so he deserves it.

Very true.

But irrelevant to the uncontrovertible point that theo / Markstrom is a better team than theo clemmer.

Old
02-15-2013, 11:18 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:

Agreed. 4 pts. doesn't seem like a lot at first glance, but when you look historically at what it takes to overcome a slow start, it is. All the teams in the top 8 aren't going to stop and lose and wait until we catch up before winning again. Pretty soon that gap is going to be 6, then 8, then 10 pts. And we'll still hear 'we're not out of it', but we are. Plus there's also four other teams to jump over to get into 8th. I mean just look at the way this team is playing. There's no way we're going to make the playoffs in this shortened season with only 32 games left. To continue to pull for this team to win at this point is cruel and unusual self-inflicted punishment.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 11:39 AM
Benched

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapanthersfan View Post

I don't think anyone is arguing that we should be fielding Markstrom/Clem so this is kind of irrelevant. Sure, Theodore has had some good games and some bad games so far but so does every goalie. He's showed flashes of brilliance. I think this game was the most solid he's looked all year.

Old
02-15-2013, 02:28 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benched View Post
I don't think anyone is arguing that we should be fielding Markstrom/Clem so this is kind of irrelevant. Sure, Theodore has had some good games and some bad games so far but so does every goalie. He's showed flashes of brilliance. I think this game was the most solid he's looked all year.
A poster mentioned earlier that Theodore's technique looked off and I semi-flamed him for it and I was wrong. He was right. Theodore wasn't doing any extra movements last night. He was in perfect position and really playing a similar style as Carey Price and for a small goalie, he nailed it out of the park.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 04:20 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Agreed. 4 pts. doesn't seem like a lot at first glance, but when you look historically at what it takes to overcome a slow start, it is. All the teams in the top 8 aren't going to stop and lose and wait until we catch up before winning again. Pretty soon that gap is going to be 6, then 8, then 10 pts. And we'll still hear 'we're not out of it', but we are. Plus there's also four other teams to jump over to get into 8th. I mean just look at the way this team is playing. There's no way we're going to make the playoffs in this shortened season with only 32 games left. To continue to pull for this team to win at this point is cruel and unusual self-inflicted punishment.

Wow. You give up on the team while 75% season remains. wow.

Old
02-15-2013, 04:37 PM
I May Be Wrong
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to I May Be Wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
I just think MR is saying that he doesn't really expect the playoffs, and I don't really either, AG. I mean, I am not one to give up so early either, but I have definitely, definitely, lowered my expectations. The fact that Flash/Weiss/Steeg don't have that chemistry they did last season is a huge factor in this. In fact, they started losing that steam half way through last season. Theodore has been great but not AS great as last season. Clemmer is clemmer. We introduced two rookies into the line up, and they aren't as good as veteran talents like Samuelsson and Bergenheim are (yet). We have AK who does nothing. Kuba hasn't looked very good and is a HUGE downgrade on Garrison. The team simply isn't as good as last season. Brian Campbell doesn't look as good as he did last season either. I just look at the way the team is playing, and I find it hard to believe that we're going to go on a prolonged winning streak as well with teams ahead of us going on a prolonged losing streak. I just don't think we have the team this season to win 4 or 5 in a row. I think that the shortened season definitely plays a role in our teams status this season, as it does for every team.. I am just not as optimistic as I usually am, but never say never I guess.

Last edited by I May Be Wrong: 02-15-2013 at 04:50 PM.
I May Be Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 04:51 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
You look at it like 75% of the season remains.

I look at it like if they don't go on a winning streak starting NEXT GAME, the season is done.

We're not the kind of team that can reel off a 8 game winning streak late in the season to get back into it.

Old
02-15-2013, 05:44 PM
FrolikFan67

no team will intentionally tank, especially at this point in the season, still have a lot of hockey left regardless of the shortened season. as it stands we're only 4 points behind the 8th spot w/ lots of time left, its not like we're 10 points out w/ 15 games left or something, we're still in it. we've collected 9pts out of our last 14 possible and took points in 6 of our last 7 games.

FrolikFan67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 06:20 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrolikFan67 View Post
as it stands we're only 4 points behind the 8th spot w/ lots of time left, its not like we're 10 points out w/ 15 games left or something, we're still in it. we've collected 9pts out of our last 14 possible and took points in 6 of our last 7 games.
Thank you for making my point for me.

After getting 9 points out of 14 and taking points in 6 of 7 games, the Panthers have gone from #14 all the way to... #13.

I know emotionally it's hard to accept, but barring a miraculous turnaround this team is done.

Believe me, if they turn around and reel off 5 wins in a row, noone will be happier than me. It's just not likely to happen... and that's what it would take to put this team into a playoff spot.

edit: 4.9% chance of playoffs per sportsclubstats
http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/E...t/Florida.html

Old
02-15-2013, 07:52 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
You look at it like 75% of the season remains.

I look at it like if they don't go on a winning streak starting NEXT GAME, the season is done.

We're not the kind of team that can reel off a 8 game winning streak late in the season to get back into it.
I agree with the above, although id change it to a 5 game streak, and change next game to real soon.

I interpreted your other post as "i give up no sense watching anymore this season is over"

Our positions are probably similar: " we dug ourselves in a very deep a hole, and although im always hopeful, the reality it is its unlikely. but hey lets put a streak together, and now, and we got something going.

In fact, i think ATF is of the same position.

we all just express ourselves uniquely.

Last edited by adam graves: 02-15-2013 at 08:07 PM.
Old
02-15-2013, 08:32 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
I agree with the above, although id change it to a 5 game streak, and change next game to real soon.

I interpreted your other post as "i give up no sense watching anymore this season is over"

Our positions are probably similar: " we dug ourselves in a very deep a hole, and although im always hopeful, the reality it is its unlikely. but hey lets put a streak together, and now, and we got something going.

Pretty much.

After doing a quick calculation it would probably take a 7 game winning streak... to put the team in a spot where playing at a 1.25 point a game pace from that point forward... results in a 90% chance of a playoff spot (i.e. 56 points).

Old
02-15-2013, 09:33 PM
Benched

Quote:
Pretty much.

After doing a quick calculation it would probably take a 7 game winning streak... to put the team in a spot where playing at a 1.25 point a game pace from that point forward... results in a 90% chance of a playoff spot (i.e. 56 points).

... except we probably won't so it's more like ...

Old
02-15-2013, 09:52 PM
p9ers

At this point I just want to see progress from the young guys.

It's nice if we win, but I much better like seeing Huber, Shore, Kuli and Gud take step in the right direction.

p9ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 09:52 PM
RampageNate

Send a message via Yahoo to RampageNate
And holding true to organization form, Markstrom and his teammates give up 2 goals in 40 seconds in the final minute to blow a 2 goal lead, then lose 2 minutes into OT.

RampageNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 11:16 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by p9ers View Post

It's nice if we win, but I much better like seeing Huber, Shore, Kuli and Gud take step in the right direction.
That's pretty much where I'm at right now as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RampageNate View Post
And holding true to organization form, Markstrom and his teammates give up 2 goals in 40 seconds in the final minute to blow a 2 goal lead, then lose 2 minutes into OT.
Sounds like he is ready for that call-up then...

Old
02-16-2013, 04:07 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:

Yeah, that's about where I'm at. I guess I'm just more of a glass half empty kind of guy and you're more of a glass half full dude.

I will always watch as many Panthers games as I can, even if they were the worst team in NHL history, I'd still watch them all the time. Next time they are in the playoffs, I'm coming down for that. Hopefully my vacation lasts two months.

Old
02-16-2013, 11:55 AM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by p9ers View Post

This! I think they all looked good against the Habs. Kuli was really physical. Love how Huby gets himself into positions to make things happen. Even Matthias looked really good.

-ghoste

Ghoste is online now   Reply With Quote