HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bennett recalled again on 4/7

Old
02-14-2013, 10:47 PM
BigBadBoris

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
If Bennett can play the Steve Sullivan role, with either Sid or Geno, then we're in business.

Then we can deal one of Sid's wingers in a package for Iggy Pop. Boom.

Somehow, though, I don't think Calgary/Iggy will cooperate.
We will probably get another grinder

BigBadBoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:22 PM
Coach John McGuirk
ヽ(。_°)ノ

I'll never forget the irrational fervor that came about this board when Neal had that absurd slump. People were out of control.

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:55 PM
Tender Rip
#Haz supa line mates

It is going to be really interesting to see Bennett up, for sure, even if I think it will more be a cup of coffee to see what we have there for next season.

If he is going to play with Malkin and Neal as we have to assume will be the case, I just hope that we will see a differentiated approach as regards our breakouts, because that line is not going to succeed dumping and chasing/grinding on the boards. Should give us quite a few thrills, but I don't think that line has the right balance.

I like Kunitz Crosby Bennett more. But we will see.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 08:14 AM
Pelican Peach Pen
BTR-ATL Pen

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
You can't stick a player in a roll he's never played and expect them to excel. It's the opposite of setting a player up succeed. You hurt a young players development when you try making him something he is not & Bennett isn't a third line winger.
BULL! Most 1st line wingers in the AHL don't start on a first line in the NHL. To be a third line winger, he needs some tenacity, ability to check, and some scoring ability. And to be on any of our top nine, he needs to be able to play a good two-way game. So, he could be anywhere in our top nine.

Don't give me that bull man!

Pelican Peach Pen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 08:25 AM
Fire Shero*

Go beau

Fire Shero* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 08:26 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
It is going to be really interesting to see Bennett up, for sure, even if I think it will more be a cup of coffee to see what we have there for next season.

If he is going to play with Malkin and Neal as we have to assume will be the case, I just hope that we will see a differentiated approach as regards our breakouts, because that line is not going to succeed dumping and chasing/grinding on the boards. Should give us quite a few thrills, but I don't think that line has the right balance.

According to DK, he is basically up to stay:

Quote:
The Penguins will give Bennett every chance to do exactly that, based on conversations this week with team executives.

If it takes just a couple shifts Friday against the Jets, great. If it takes a couple weeks, even the couple months between now and the April 3 NHL trade deadline, that's fine, too.

He's the Penguins' guy.

He won't be just another cameo winger, whether he winds up with Sidney Crosby - my choice - or Evgeni Malkin.
http://triblive.com/sports/dejankova...#ixzz2KygTfNFJ

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 08:30 AM
HandshakeLine
pro sports bettor

Quote:
That is a sexy looking line, at least, as far as untried lines go.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 08:32 AM
Tender Rip
#Haz supa line mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post

That thing with the Trib and Gazette writers though.... goes for Kovacevic also. I believe the hype was the same for Tangradi; ready now, would get every chance etc.

Anyway, don't want to be a party pooper 24/7. Would be great if Bennett runs with it, and I have no problem with them giving him development time until the deadline. To some extent that's what the regular season is for. Just a shame they haven't been doing that with some certain others.

Old
02-15-2013, 08:47 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
That thing with the Trib and Gazette writers though.... goes for Kovacevic also. I believe the hype was the same for Tangradi; ready now, would get every chance etc.

Anyway, don't want to be a party pooper 24/7. Would be great if Bennett runs with it, and I have no problem with them giving him development time until the deadline. To some extent that's what the regular season is for. Just a shame they haven't been doing that with some certain others.
DK is... nothing special, but he isn't a hype machine like the others at the Trib. If he says Pens mgmt told him that, I believe it.

However, there is always the DB factor so.

BB is an E-W player and if DB wants to develop him correctly and get the best from him, he better be willing to live with some ill timed turnovers and mistakes from the kid.

Kadri had two stupid turnovers last night... The one was so bad I thought his brain fell out behind the net... He basically tried to skate out of his zone and beat two guys at the blueline, lost the puck and gave the Canes an easy scoring chance. Wilson would have benched him, but RC kept him in and a few shifts later he scored.

Kadri is leading the Leafs in points BECAUSE he now has a coach who trusts him and lets him make mistakes. DB will have to really change if we are going to see the best of BB. He has no one to fall back on, so he has no choice, really.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 08:48 AM
IcedCapp
Yummy and Delicious

Quote:

Wow, that article drives me nuts. The blue line doesn't need shored up. If he's actually done looking at the top-6, it's a big mistake.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 09:14 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
Wow, that article drives me nuts. The blue line doesn't need shored up. If he's actually done looking at the top-6, it's a big mistake.
Agreed.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 09:31 AM
UnrealMachine

My excitement/expectations are significantly lower regarding Bennett. Crosby's line is missing an elite (or even above average) shooter and Malkin's line is missing a grinder with repectable defensive presence. I don't see Bennett being able to add much value to either line in those respects. Hope it works out.

UnrealMachine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 09:37 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
They should get one more Dman though. They've got 7 that I'd want to play in the playoffs and two are rookies. Doesn't have to be anyone special just depth, even if it's just Eaton on the off chance he has a little left in the tank by the end of the year.

UnderratedBrooks44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 09:41 AM
Tender Rip
#Haz supa line mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
They should get one more Dman though. They've got 7 that I'd want to play in the playoffs and two are rookies. Doesn't have to be anyone special just depth, even if it's just Eaton on the off chance he has a little left in the tank by the end of the year.
With Dumoulin and Eaton in WBS, I am not worried about playoff depth on D beyond the 7 Shero will keep on the big team. Unless we get significant injuries of course.

Old
02-15-2013, 09:45 AM
IcedCapp
Yummy and Delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
my thing is, when you have the non-Niskanen 6 in, it's an incredibly physical, grinding group, which is exactly what I want for the playoffs. Who are they going to get that's an upgrade over that? I'm not against it, but it shouldn't be a focus or concern, in my mind.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 09:55 AM
spcastlemagic

Quote:
DK is... nothing special, but he isn't a hype machine like the others at the Trib. If he says Pens mgmt told him that, I believe it.

However, there is always the DB factor so.

BB is an E-W player and if DB wants to develop him correctly and get the best from him, he better be willing to live with some ill timed turnovers and mistakes from the kid.
I hope DB is learning from his experience with Despres. You only learn how to play at the NHL level by making plays and making mistakes in the NHL. Despres is growing so much faster as a player than he would if he was in the AHL right now and dominating.

spcastlemagic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 10:09 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
With Dumoulin and Eaton in WBS, I am not worried about playoff depth on D beyond the 7 Shero will keep on the big team. Unless we get significant injuries of course.
Well sure, injuries are the concern. I'm not sure why you'd want Dumoulin in the playoffs that sounds like a horrible idea to me, and Eaton was only mentioned on the off chance he gets back up to NHL quality.

Old
02-15-2013, 10:11 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
my thing is, when you have the non-Niskanen 6 in, it's an incredibly physical, grinding group, which is exactly what I want for the playoffs. Who are they going to get that's an upgrade over that? I'm not against it, but it shouldn't be a focus or concern, in my mind.
Like I said it's about depth not an upgrade. Two injuries to one D corps at the same time isn't unusual as we well know. Having enough depth is just something you do for the playoffs I don't really think it's a debate. Keep in mind I'm talking a 4th or 5th round pick for a guy that can play a little D, that's all.

Old
02-15-2013, 10:17 AM
Malkin4Top6Wingerz
Can you like, shutup

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcastlemagic View Post
I hope DB is learning from his experience with Despres. You only learn how to play at the NHL level by making plays and making mistakes in the NHL. Despres is growing so much faster as a player than he would if he was in the AHL right now and dominating.
As somebody else pointed out, this idea that DB is unfair to young players is greatly exaggerated. We've had very little in the way of talented prospects come through the organization. I just can't take anybody seriously who thinks Tangradi is evidence of this team being unable to develop talent. The kid just isn't very good and showed as little as one could possibly hope for from a player who had that much hype surrounding him. Jeffrey has had opportunities and been ok, nothing special, nothing that stands out as a guy who needs to be in your lineup every day, or that has reasonable potential to be a solution in the top 6. Who else now, Strait? We kept two rookies over him who have both gotten lots of playing time. Whether it turns out to be a mistake or not you can't blame it on Bylsma's unwillingness to give rookies ice time.

Malkin4Top6Wingerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 10:28 AM
od71

Bennett with Geno-Neal? It's a fifth winger with them in 15 games. I'm afraid they already don't care who is there on the left. Let Cooke play there and stop torturing them.
If so, BB will go back shortly to where he came from with no points (only Cooke managed to score a point playing in this line)

Last edited by od71: 02-15-2013 at 10:39 AM.
od71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 10:34 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

DK also had Despres here to stay no matter what at one point last season and Despres promptly got sent back down. I'd take what he says with a grain of salt.

I'd imagine the Pens just want to see where Bennett is at in terms of being NHL ready and the only way to do that is try him out for a few games at this level. If he fails we'll see a trade soon after, imo.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 10:42 AM
WarriorScholar

Kunitz - Crosby - Bennett
Cooke - Malkin - Neal
Dupuis - Sutter - Kennedy
Glass - Vitale - Adams

Could replace Kennedy with boychuk ..whatever . This is something I'd go with right now....ride it out until we make that trade. Then you can bump Cooke back down to the 3rd line . Cooke - Sutter- Dupuis would be great. As much as Dupuis is underrated on that first line by people, I'm sure everyone would agree he improves that 3rd line big time. Whether we pickup 2 top 6 wingers at the deadline relies on Bennett's play. That's why he's up.

WarriorScholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 11:07 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTwoTimes View Post
Kunitz - Crosby - Bennett
Cooke - Malkin - Neal
Dupuis - Sutter - Kennedy
Glass - Vitale - Adams

Could replace Kennedy with boychuk ..whatever . This is something I'd go with right now....ride it out until we make that trade. Then you can bump Cooke back down to the 3rd line . Cooke - Sutter- Dupuis would be great. As much as Dupuis is underrated on that first line by people, I'm sure everyone would agree he improves that 3rd line big time. Whether we pickup 2 top 6 wingers at the deadline relies on Bennett's play. That's why he's up.
Replacing Dupuis with Bennett is a downgrade until Bennett proves otherwise. Plus I doubt Bennett is getting dirty and prying pucks out of the corners for Crosby like Dupuis at least does.

Old
02-15-2013, 11:13 AM
pensfansince88

i'd love to bench TK for him. i don't think he could be any worse than kennedy has been this year. i don't get how boychuk, tangradi, jeffrey, etc all get the blame and benched but the horrible TK always has his place in the lineup

pensfansince88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 11:26 AM
Emory Jordan

Looks like he is playing left side with Sutter and TK

https://twitter.com/penguins/status/302467963041218560

Emory Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote