HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Videogame Thread #3 (PSN/Gamertags/Steam): NHL 14 Trailer Released 25 Months Ago

Closed Thread

Old
02-06-2013, 12:10 AM
Flyerfan808

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I also much prefer the PS controller to Xbox.
I prefer PS also.

Mainly because I come from the Nintendo / SNES / PS1 Console Progression.

Never bought gamecube or x-box. I can attribe most if not all of that to the Final Fantasy Series. I'd say FF6 is still my favorite, followed very closely by 7.

Old
02-06-2013, 02:03 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
I prefer PS also.

Never bought gamecube or x-box. I can attribe most if not all of that to the Final Fantasy Series. I'd say FF6 is still my favorite, followed very closely by 7.
My first console was an SNES, then a PS1 then an N64. And yes, I find the Dualshock to be the best controller out there. I got a Gamecube, but I will say, I played the **** out of it more than the Wii I have.

Old
02-06-2013, 12:48 PM
Jray42

vCash: 50
Guess I'm the only one who prefers the Xbox controller... And I grew up on a PS1/PS2. Hate the convex analog sticks.

edit: Apparently the next gen Xbox will block anyone from playing used games. If so, I will likely be making the switch back to Playstation if they don't follow suit.

Last edited by Jray42: 02-06-2013 at 01:03 PM.
Old
02-06-2013, 01:24 PM
Krishna

I like the xbox controller but Im used to the ps3 controller now since I've played it everyday for a year and a half or so

02-06-2013, 01:48 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jray42 View Post
Guess I'm the only one who prefers the Xbox controller... And I grew up on a PS1/PS2. Hate the convex analog sticks.

edit: Apparently the next gen Xbox will block anyone from playing used games. If so, I will likely be making the switch back to Playstation if they don't follow suit.
You aren't the only one. I don't hate the PS3(I have one), but I love the Xbox controller.

Old
02-06-2013, 02:17 PM
Krishna

Remind me to never buy an activision game again

Old
02-06-2013, 10:50 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jray42 View Post
It's been talked about that both systems may do it, though I'm assuming you heard a more recent, updated report...

Really seems like a move almost solely to put GameStop out of business, which, as a GameStop employee, I'd thoroughly enjoy.

Old
02-06-2013, 11:26 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
It's been talked about that both systems may do it, though I'm assuming you heard a more recent, updated report...

Really seems like a move almost solely to put GameStop out of business, which, as a GameStop employee, I'd thoroughly enjoy.
I admit, I love used games and being able to get used games so I don't have to pay as much, but GameStop is a pretty evil company . I wonder that if they do make it so that it's a one time use only game, I'd recommend they do it to the user account for the game (game tied to it like Steam) and allow to use both disk and download (allowing you to download a copy of the game as you like linked to the PSN) to do it. Then it would help prevent crap if you wanted to bring your game over to someone's house, but then they'd have to get rid of the limited number of activations of devices per account that Sony has.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:23 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I admit, I love used games and being able to get used games so I don't have to pay as much, but GameStop is a pretty evil company . I wonder that if they do make it so that it's a one time use only game, I'd recommend they do it to the user account for the game (game tied to it like Steam) and allow to use both disk and download (allowing you to download a copy of the game as you like linked to the PSN) to do it. Then it would help prevent crap if you wanted to bring your game over to someone's house, but then they'd have to get rid of the limited number of activations of devices per account that Sony has.
yeah it'll be interesting to see what they do to make it work. With online gaming, they've already started to kill off split screen gaming (aka going to your friends house with 4-16 people and playing video games all day)

And yes, GameStop has easily become the worst job I've ever had.

Old
02-07-2013, 08:37 AM
ihatebraydenschenn

Quote:
I prefer PS also.

What does that have to do with your controller preference? My first gaming memories were NES. The first console I purchased was SNES, followed by PSX, PS2, Xbox, PS3, 360 (my parents were cheap and only bought me the least expensive console/handled of the bunch, I always had to buy the other consoles myself).

I come from the same era as you but strongly prefer the Xbox 360 controller. The OG Xbox controller sucked mighty nuts. The Controller S was a little better, but I felt that it needed shoulder buttons similar to the PSX/2 controller. What did Microsoft do? Move the Black/White buttons to the shoulders.

One of the best things about the Xbox controller are the triggers. The R2/L2 buttons are absolutely annoying and inaccurate on the PSX/2/3. You would think Sony would actually put some thought into the design, or perhaps just mimic the Xbox controllers triggers. But, no. Let's not forget that the first PS3 controllers lacked the simple and decade-old rumble feature. Thank god that stupid Boomerang controller died in beta stage.

EDIT: Used gaming.. The new consoles aren't going to prevent you from playing a used game. The future of gaming, and software in general, is heading towards digital media rather than physical media. There won't be any used games because there won't be any used pieces of physical media.

Last edited by ihatebraydenschenn: 02-07-2013 at 08:45 AM.
Old
02-11-2013, 05:41 PM
Krishna

So, how many of you guys have PS+?

I've had it since about June and it's been okay..

Since about november they've really made no attempt to offer some of the games that Europe's PS+ is getting..

It's been mostly games that you'll play for 5 mins and never play again

Old
02-11-2013, 05:46 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Eye Monster Invictus

I had the free trial of PS+ for a month, didn't feel any urge to subscribe.

02-11-2013, 06:14 PM
Krishna

It was worth it when they were putting out good games.

Games for the last 3 months :
February
North America System Rating
Closure 81
Guardians of Middle Earth 76

Europe System Rating
Sleeping Dogs (not DE) 83
Quantum Conundrum 79
F1 Race Stars 61
WipEout 2048 79
Lumines Electronic Symphony

January :
Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus (Vita Version) 72
Foosball 2012 ??
Darksiders 82
Mega Man 9 77
Mega Man 10 78

Europe System Rating
Guardians of Middle Earth 76
Mortal Kombat (not DE & AU) 84
Gotham City Imposters (only DE & AU) 72
Jet Set Radio ??
Pinball Arcade 79
BioShock 2

December :
North America
Retro City Rampage 78
Anomaly: Warzone Earth 78
Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition 80
NBA Jam: On Fire Edition 81
BioShock 2 88
Rochard 79
Chronovolt

Europe System Rating
Limbo 90
Vanquish 84
Big Sky Infinity 72
Batman: Arkham City 96
Knytt Undergroud 78
Mortal Kombat

The guy who operates the US PS+ blog claims EU doesn't get better games..

EU has gotten Batman Arkham City and Sleeping dogs.

Where do you see anything that good on the US one?

Old
02-12-2013, 06:00 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Anyone try and DL Dragonborn for PS3 yet? It says the release date was today but I can't seem to find it on the PSN. Am I missing something?

Old
02-12-2013, 06:30 PM
Krishna

I haven't had a chance to just yet but it seems it's not shwing up unless you search for Skyrim in PS store

Old
02-12-2013, 06:31 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
I haven't had a chance to just yet but it seems it's not shwing up unless you search for Skyrim in PS store
I did that and all it brought up was themes and trailers. Ugh. Nothing is easy, eh?

Old
02-12-2013, 07:16 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

Nevermind I got it. Now just waiting a thousand years for it download with my crappy DSL connection.

Old
02-15-2013, 10:35 AM
Krishna

So, I'm fairly sure either half of the teams in eashl are stupid or just not very good.

We started using a left wing lock variation online and it seemed that only the elite teams would adapt to attacking our goalie. Its pretty laughable at how effective the system is online

Old
02-15-2013, 11:35 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Eye Monster Invictus

Quote:
So, I'm fairly sure either half of the teams in eashl are stupid or just not very good.

We started using a left wing lock variation online and it seemed that only the elite teams would adapt to attacking our goalie. Its pretty laughable at how effective the system is online
Even if you don't use a system and simply stick to your position, and use your teammates, your team can utterly conquer opponents.

Old
02-15-2013, 12:52 PM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
Originally Posted by galvo View Post
What does that have to do with your controller preference? My first gaming memories were NES. The first console I purchased was SNES, followed by PSX, PS2, Xbox, PS3, 360 (my parents were cheap and only bought me the least expensive console/handled of the bunch, I always had to buy the other consoles myself).

I come from the same era as you but strongly prefer the Xbox 360 controller. The OG Xbox controller sucked mighty nuts. The Controller S was a little better, but I felt that it needed shoulder buttons similar to the PSX/2 controller. What did Microsoft do? Move the Black/White buttons to the shoulders.

One of the best things about the Xbox controller are the triggers. The R2/L2 buttons are absolutely annoying and inaccurate on the PSX/2/3. You would think Sony would actually put some thought into the design, or perhaps just mimic the Xbox controllers triggers. But, no. Let's not forget that the first PS3 controllers lacked the simple and decade-old rumble feature. Thank god that stupid Boomerang controller died in beta stage.

EDIT: Used gaming.. The new consoles aren't going to prevent you from playing a used game. The future of gaming, and software in general, is heading towards digital media rather than physical media. There won't be any used games because there won't be any used pieces of physical media.
For me it has everything to do with everything. I don't really want to write a novel about it, but I would argue that NES, SNES and PS1 controller's button placements were all very similar and followed a more systematic progression. Like you, I had to buy all my own systems (my parents were poor and couldn't afford alot of things) and so I was always faced with one or the other. I chose PS1 over N64 and PS2 over X-Box and so, everytime I pick up an X-Box controller it feels like a foreign language.

Old
02-15-2013, 12:55 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Even if you don't use a system and simply stick to your position, and use your teammates, your team can utterly conquer opponents.
On club it gets a little more difficult but with drop ins its absolutely hilarious seeing my team know how to cycle the puck and the other team can't get a pass completes

Also frustrates me when I get on the bad team

Old
02-15-2013, 01:28 PM
PALE PWNR

Quote:

If you trap effectively you can beat almost any team. My team plays 4 men at our blue line, the key is to not move all that much. Get in position don't chase at all and it is not easy to get into the zone or draw a penalty. In the zone we just play a real tight box around the net, 2 at the sides to guard wraps and the corners and 2 in front of them to not let people walk in or do in tight one T's. 1 up to guard the 2 points and attempt to break away every time we come close to getting possession. Counter attack systems are the best in this game, actively forechecking causes penalties and gets you caught. At most have 1 guy go up but tahts pretty much it unless the other team is just that bad.

Old
02-15-2013, 01:33 PM
ihatebraydenschenn

Quote:
For me it has everything to do with everything. I don't really want to write a novel about it, but I would argue that NES, SNES and PS1 controller's button placements were all very similar and followed a more systematic progression. Like you, I had to buy all my own systems (my parents were poor and couldn't afford alot of things) and so I was always faced with one or the other. I chose PS1 over N64 and PS2 over X-Box and so, everytime I pick up an X-Box controller it feels like a foreign language.
Haha I guess. I was in the same boat as you: PS1 over N64, PS2 over Xbox. But then I actually got an Xbox.. It was a much more powerful machine. Graphics were much better (draw distances in San Andreas on PS2 vs. Xbox are laughable) and it had a hard drive where you could burn music CDs to, then play your tracks in-game. I like how San Andreas had it's own radio station dedicated to the music on your hard drive.

I will agree, the original Xbox controller was HUGE and uncomfortable. Pressing the white and black buttons was almost a struggle. Microsoft realized the problem and designed the Xbox Controller S (not to be confused with the 360 controller).

Sony, on the other hand, has refused to change the biggest problem with their controller: the triggers, or lack thereof. The R2/L2 buttons pale in comparison to the triggers found on the Xbox controller. I honestly thought the PS2 controller would feature triggers, but it did not. This didn't really bother me until the PS3 was released and we found out that the R2/L2 buttons were still crappy. I mean, hell, the Sega Dreamcast controller was awesome and it came out a couple of years before the PS2. You would think Sony would take a look at the advancements made by other companies and copy them. Nope.

Button placement isn't the issue. You compared the NES, SNES and PS1 controllers yet failed to include the fact that the button placement is the exact same on the XBox controller that you're so strongly against. Button placement isn't the problem, it's the fact that Sony REMOVED a feature (rumble), installed a cheesy motion feature to compete with Wii (Sixaxis) and failed to change the R2/L2 buttons into triggers. In my opinion, they need to move the left analog stick to the current d-pad location. The left analog stick is generally used for movement and should be aligned in front of you, not in an offset position.

Anyway, speaking of Dreamcast, I really miss some of the games on there. Power Stone, Sonic Adventure, Seamen and of course, the start of the 2K Sports franchise. The Dreamcast memory card was pretty freaking awesome as well.

Old
02-15-2013, 02:05 PM
PALE PWNR

Quote:
Originally Posted by galvo View Post
Haha I guess. I was in the same boat as you: PS1 over N64, PS2 over Xbox. But then I actually got an Xbox.. It was a much more powerful machine. Graphics were much better (draw distances in San Andreas on PS2 vs. Xbox are laughable) and it had a hard drive where you could burn music CDs to, then play your tracks in-game. I like how San Andreas had it's own radio station dedicated to the music on your hard drive.

I will agree, the original Xbox controller was HUGE and uncomfortable. Pressing the white and black buttons was almost a struggle. Microsoft realized the problem and designed the Xbox Controller S (not to be confused with the 360 controller).

Sony, on the other hand, has refused to change the biggest problem with their controller: the triggers, or lack thereof. The R2/L2 buttons pale in comparison to the triggers found on the Xbox controller. I honestly thought the PS2 controller would feature triggers, but it did not. This didn't really bother me until the PS3 was released and we found out that the R2/L2 buttons were still crappy. I mean, hell, the Sega Dreamcast controller was awesome and it came out a couple of years before the PS2. You would think Sony would take a look at the advancements made by other companies and copy them. Nope.

Button placement isn't the issue. You compared the NES, SNES and PS1 controllers yet failed to include the fact that the button placement is the exact same on the XBox controller that you're so strongly against. Button placement isn't the problem, it's the fact that Sony REMOVED a feature (rumble), installed a cheesy motion feature to compete with Wii (Sixaxis) and failed to change the R2/L2 buttons into triggers. In my opinion, they need to move the left analog stick to the current d-pad location. The left analog stick is generally used for movement and should be aligned in front of you, not in an offset position.

Anyway, speaking of Dreamcast, I really miss some of the games on there. Power Stone, Sonic Adventure, Seamen and of course, the start of the 2K Sports franchise. The Dreamcast memory card was pretty freaking awesome as well.
Lol the Xbox was released almost 2 full years after the PS2 it better have been more powerful... I don't know what is wrong witht he triggers. You pull them and they go back and do what they are supposed to. I could care less about rumble features I turn it off on xbox. The motion feature was pretty cool especially playing a game like Heavy Rain. And I personally like having my hands in symmetrical position on the controller. I can play both I just prefer PS's Dualshock over the odd placement of the xbox controller. The D-pad is useless in most games the only ones I use it are fighters aside from the odd shooter with weird controls.

Old
02-15-2013, 02:18 PM
ihatebraydenschenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
Lol the Xbox was released almost 2 full years after the PS2 it better have been more powerful... I don't know what is wrong witht he triggers. You pull them and they go back and do what they are supposed to. I could care less about rumble features I turn it off on xbox. The motion feature was pretty cool especially playing a game like Heavy Rain. And I personally like having my hands in symmetrical position on the controller. I can play both I just prefer PS's Dualshock over the odd placement of the xbox controller. The D-pad is useless in most games the only ones I use it are fighters aside from the odd shooter with weird controls.
Performance and power isn't everything, it's how you use it. Perfect example being 360 vs. PS3's graphics in terms of 3rd party games. Check out www.lensoftruth.com and browse some of the 3rd party comparisons. Hell, even the first party Sony games weren't that much better, if at all, than their Microsoft counterparts. And those first party games were designed on the PS3 from the ground up!

Triggers are variable where the R2/L2 buttons are static. Sony gave the PS3's dualshock controller variable R2/L2 buttons, but they aren't as accurate as the triggers found on the Xbox controllers.

If you find rumble to be gimmicky, then why don't you feel the same about Sixaxis? If anything, rumble is a passive feature that adds to the gameplay without feeling like it's forced down your throat, like Sixaxis motion commands.

I agree, the D-pad on the Xbox is absolute horse crap. Gamers who are into fighters will be quick to point out how crappy it is. Then again, gamers who are into fighters probably use a paddle/button combo.

Closed Thread