HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2013 Draft Thread: Not Winnin' For #(??)...

Closed Thread

Old
02-06-2013, 11:54 AM
Deevo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
Scouts are now saying this is not a deep draft
Doesn't matter; picking top 5.

Old
02-06-2013, 12:19 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Is there a Zadarov bandwagon yet?

If not... ALL ABOARD!!!!

(I'm assuming the Sabres will fail to suck enough for a top 5 pick, and will be picking more in the 6-12 range)

Old
02-06-2013, 12:47 PM
"Craigs on it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deevo View Post
Doesn't matter; picking top 5.
we if you are picking top 5 you have 3 picks inside the top 65 so...yes it kinda does matter in some regard. Time will tell though.

From what I have seen/read/heard there seems to be a a few tiers and a top 6 that is ahead of the rest.

Tier 1
MacKinnon
Jones

Tier 2
Drouin
Barkov
Lindholm
Monahan

after the first 6 is where things get pretty unpredictable. Drouin is really skilled but does he really really a guy you want to take with a top 3 pick? Barkov seems like the guy I would want at 3.

Old
02-06-2013, 12:56 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Scouts are now saying this is not a deep draft
Yeah, I call BS on that one.

The caliber of player you get in the mid to late first is higher quality than usual, the caliber of the player you get in the second is higher than usual, etc.
Just sounds like BS to me.

Old
02-06-2013, 12:59 PM
"Craigs on it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Yeah, I call BS on that one.

The caliber of player you get in the mid to late first is higher quality than usual, the caliber of the player you get in the second is higher than usual, etc.
Just sounds like BS to me.
did you read that article too? I was kinda surprised because it seems like most players have progressed well.

Old
02-06-2013, 01:10 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Is there a Zadarov bandwagon yet?

If not... ALL ABOARD!!!!

(I'm assuming the Sabres will fail to suck enough for a top 5 pick, and will be picking more in the 6-12 range)
6-12 I want Pulock or maybe Ristolainen. But I'm hoping they just keep up the tank job, get Lindy fired, and get us a stud draft pick. #dreamingbig

Old
02-06-2013, 01:19 PM
jfb392

Quote:
did you read that article too? I was kinda surprised because it seems like most players have progressed well.
I skimmed it yesterday but just took it as an article that was going to happen eventually.
In 2011 everyone wanted it to be weak, last year everyone hoped beyond hope that it wasn't as terrible as it seemed to end up, and now some are grading this one based on how well it compares to 2003 (which they've put on a pedestal).

There are players that I want this year that would have been 2nd rounders in 2011 and maybe even pushed the 1st last year that will probably end up being fringe 2nd candidates, if not 3rd rounders.
That's a pretty good sign to me that things will be fine.

Old
02-06-2013, 01:19 PM
"Craigs on it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
6-12 I want Pulock or maybe Ristolainen. But I'm hoping they just keep up the tank job, get Lindy fired, and get us a stud draft pick. #dreamingbig
What makes you want Pulock in the top 10? I haven't seen alot of him but from what I have seen he is more like a 15-25 prospect. Ristolainen intrigues me alot, so does a guy who no one seems to be talking about Robert Hagg, Swede who is a great skater, high hockey IQ and is calm no matter how tense the game is? sounds like OEL in his draft year.

Old
02-06-2013, 01:31 PM
Fly Boy
Aye Sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Nope give me Zadorov. I've been on the bandwagon since the season started. He has a huge frame. I mean 230 lbs at 18 years old? Seriously!?! He is a great shutdown Dman and knows how to use all his tools for his size. He was also the best Dman I have seen live this year in the OHL. Imagine getting the first pick and taking Seth Jones and then trading Vanek for another top ten pick and a good prospect (Think Jordan Staal return) and then taking Zadorov.

Zadorov - Myers (I think Zadorov would be an excellent partner for Myers)
McNabb - Jones
Sekera - Ehrhoff

That's shutdown defense right there.

Old
02-06-2013, 01:36 PM
"Craigs on it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Boy View Post
Nope give me Zadorov. I've been on the bandwagon since the season started. He has a huge frame. I mean 230 lbs at 18 years old? Seriously!?! He is a great shutdown Dman and knows how to use all his tools for his size. He was also the best Dman I have seen live this year in the OHL. Imagine getting the first pick and taking Seth Jones and then trading Vanek for another top ten pick and a good prospect (Think Jordan Staal return) and then taking Zadorov.

Zadorov - Myers (I think Zadorov would be an excellent partner for Myers)
McNabb - Jones
Sekera - Ehrhoff

That's shutdown defense right there.
now do our foward lines, I have no interest in taking 2 defenceman in the top 10 or even 1st round for that matter unless they are the BPA without a doubt.

Last edited by 1972: 02-06-2013 at 05:50 PM.
Old
02-06-2013, 05:47 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
What makes you want Pulock in the top 10? I haven't seen alot of him but from what I have seen he is more like a 15-25 prospect. Ristolainen intrigues me alot, so does a guy who no one seems to be talking about Robert Hagg, Swede who is a great skater, high hockey IQ and is calm no matter how tense the game is? sounds like OEL in his draft year.
When I've seen him, Pulock has just looked like a guy that does everything well and is a leader for his team. I wouldn't take him ahead of Ristolainen (love how physical he is for a young Euro), but I think he has a nice toolset. I'm very wary of drafting tough, shutdown types like Zadorov that high, because then you end up with Luke Schenn and Dylan McIlrath. Granted I haven't seen much of Zadorov and he may clearly be a better prospect than those 2 were in their draft years, and I just don't know it.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:57 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Given that the Sabres are 2 pts out of DFL in the league, when do we start the MacSuck for MacKinnon campaign?

Old
02-10-2013, 07:52 AM
Superhero

I would be very unhappy if the Sabres drafted another undersized, soft, puck moving defenseman in this draft.

Old
02-13-2013, 05:24 PM
"Craigs on it"

one would think that Barkov would be a stronger consideration for the #1 or #2 now that a Kekalainen taking over the Blue Jackets. He is probably the forward I want the most in this draft.

Old
02-14-2013, 08:07 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
one would think that Barkov would be a stronger consideration for the #1 or #2 now that a Kekalainen taking over the Blue Jackets. He is probably the forward I want the most in this draft.
Jarmo isn't all Euro all the time.

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/...red-as-gm.html

Quote:
"It's an honor to be the first European GM," Kekalainen told reporters in Finland. "But I think I'm pro, not just European. I don't think this is an advantage or a disadvantage.
"Passport's cover page is not why or how we draft players. If anything, I'm going to be even more harder on Finnish prospects."
He finds players all over the place. My guess is that Jones goes #1 if they have that pick. Jarmo likes building the blueline.

Last edited by WhoIsJimBob: 02-14-2013 at 09:08 AM.
Old
02-14-2013, 10:24 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
I think you'd be a bit nuts to take him over MacKinnon or Jones. I see him being closer to Monahan than either of those guys projection-wise. (Certainly not bad, Monahan is going to be a heckuva player too, IMO, but still definitely a tier down.)

Old
02-14-2013, 04:43 PM
sabresEH

Anyone watch the last beyond blue and gold where they are interviewing pegs and darcy? In it Pegs makes a comment about wanting to see them fail cause it means you are taking chances. Then lets take a chance on Nichuskin. Dont know too much about him but he has size and could be the PWF we need. Second round go for a defenceman.
Which ever Kelowna Rocket defenceman thay hasnt been take yet. Madison Bowey or Jesse Lees.
Bowey is the more boom/bust pick where as Lees would be a little more on the safer side(think pysyk). Only been too a couple games this year but every time I have I come away impressed at what Bowey can do offensively and at how I never notice Lees out there. Unless you are watching just him his game is one you don't notice. A future pairing of Lees and Pysyk woukd be great for our D zone.

Old
02-14-2013, 05:13 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresEH View Post
Anyone watch the last beyond blue and gold where they are interviewing pegs and darcy? In it Pegs makes a comment about wanting to see them fail cause it means you are taking chances. Then lets take a chance on Nichuskin. Dont know too much about him but he has size and could be the PWF we need. Second round go for a defenceman.
Which ever Kelowna Rocket defenceman thay hasnt been take yet. Madison Bowey or Jesse Lees.
Bowey is the more boom/bust pick where as Lees would be a little more on the safer side(think pysyk). Only been too a couple games this year but every time I have I come away impressed at what Bowey can do offensively and at how I never notice Lees out there. Unless you are watching just him his game is one you don't notice. A future pairing of Lees and Pysyk woukd be great for our D zone.
If we're picking around the 8 spot I wouldn't mind taking Nischukin or Zadarov, they both have huge potential and it would give Grigs a Russian teammate.

Old
02-14-2013, 07:21 PM
JPurp26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Winnin View Post
If we're picking around the 8 spot I wouldn't mind taking Nischukin or Zadarov, they both have huge potential and it would give Grigs a Russian teammate.
I too would like to bring in a Russian for Grigs eventually especially to help him feel comfortable (Nikita Kucherov wouldn't be a bad option)

My list as of right now for the Sabres and top 10 prospects

1. Jones
2. MacKinnon
3. Barkov
4. Monahan
5. Drouin
6. Nichushkin
7. Lindholm
8. Ristolainen
9. Nurse
10. Zadarov

Lots of top end O talent that we must bring in

Old
02-14-2013, 08:36 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Winnin View Post
Yeah I like nichushkin as well.

Old
02-14-2013, 08:57 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Anyone watch the last beyond blue and gold where they are interviewing pegs and darcy? In it Pegs makes a comment about wanting to see them fail cause it means you are taking chances. Then lets take a chance on Nichuskin. Dont know too much about him but he has size and could be the PWF we need.
If they take a chance on Nichushkin, it's just pure fail.
He's not someone I'd draft in the first round or possibly at any point of the draft and he's not a power forward just because he's large.

Old
02-14-2013, 10:09 PM
sabresEH

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
If they take a chance on Nichushkin, it's just pure fail.
He's not someone I'd draft in the first round or possibly at any point of the draft and he's not a power forward just because he's large.
His overtime goal that sunk Canada was definitely a pwf type goal. He may not play that way overseas but he'll have to at least use his size to his advantage or he wont make it here.

Old
02-14-2013, 10:17 PM
jfb392

Quote:
His overtime goal that sunk Canada was definitely a pwf type goal. He may not play that way overseas but he'll have to at least use his size to his advantage or he wont make it here.
He does not consistently use his size to his advantage and is primarily a perimeter player that does not display an innate scoring touch.
His hockey sense is questionable and he plays the game one way and one way only: Valeri's way.

He's a Magnus Pääjärvi clone that is even more one-note with no defensive value whatsoever.

Old
02-15-2013, 08:37 AM
Zip15

vCash: 396
ISS Top-30 out for February and there was some movement:

1) Seth Jones RD
2) Valery Nicushkin LW
3) Nathan MacKinnon C
4) Jonathan Drouin LW
5) Darnell Nurse LD
6) Nikita Zadorov LD
7) Sasha Barkov C
8) Sean Monahan C
9) Elias Lindholm C
10) Rasmus Ristolainen RD

Seems like Nurse and Zadorov are quickly moving up, and I was shocked to see Nicushkin at #2, ahead of MacKinnon and Drouin. If we pick in that 7-9 range, I'd be more than happy with any of those three players on that list that are occupying those spots. Of course, that means we'll finish with the #10 pick.

Here's the rest of the list:

http://www.isshockey.com/iss-top-30-...-for-february/

Old
02-15-2013, 12:36 PM
Zip15

vCash: 396
JFB and Woodhouse, what do you guys make of these new rankings? Why the falls for Barkov, Monahan and Lindholm? Were the rises for Nurse and Zadorov warranted? Do you picture a situation where those two defensemen go that high?

Also, I just realized Jones is 11 months older than MacKinnon. MacKinnon is 15 days away from being a 2014-eligible player. Young kid.

Closed Thread