HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Sens-Pens (Trade Deadline)

Old
02-15-2013, 08:28 AM
mwalluk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
What? How on earth should Pouliot and Maatta be considered untouchable? They are the very opposite. They are further from contributing than any of the other top choices, and we will be more than OK with Despres, Bortuzzo, Morrow, Dumoulin, Harrington etc.
This is coming from alot of Penguin insiders, beat writers, etc.

They value Pouliot and Maata very high.

Matta was likened to a young Ryan Suter, while Pouliot is the future PP QB.

The Pens value them higher than Despres, Morrow, Harrington, Dumoulin, etc.

Yes, they won't be ready for 3-4 years which is what you want. The Pens have an overabundance of Defensive prospects that are ready to play in 1-2 years (no sense trading the ones that will not be ready for 3-4). That's poor asset management.

If you deal, you deal from the group that will be fighting for playing time next year.

mwalluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 08:30 AM
mwalluk

Quote:
we will be more than OK with Despres, Bortuzzo, Morrow, Dumoulin, Harrington etc.
Moreover, we still have Orpik, Martin, Letang, Nisk, etc. So tell me how you expect all those players to play top 4 minutes in NHL/AHL with the depth we have? You are not seeing the bigger picture here.

Old
02-15-2013, 08:42 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalluk View Post
Moreover, we still have Orpik, Martin, Letang, Nisk, etc. So tell me how you expect all those players to play top 4 minutes in NHL/AHL with the depth we have? You are not seeing the bigger picture here.
I don't expect them to all play. I am saying that it is meaningless considering the two latest 1st rounders to arrive untouchable just because our 'embedded media' talks up the most recent picks. They do that every year.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 09:00 AM
mwalluk

Quote:
I don't expect them to all play. I am saying that it is meaningless considering the two latest 1st rounders to arrive untouchable just because our 'embedded media' talks up the most recent picks. They do that every year.
It's not so much the media, but rather Shero. He chose Pouliot 8th overall when many thought it was a reach. He obviously values him.

They're not going move them, unless the package is overwhelming. No sense, poor asset management. They have control of them (rookie contracts, rfa's) for a while, no sense dealing those when your a cap team on a yearly basis.

With the amount of players we have that are ready now, you move those first

Old
02-15-2013, 10:13 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalluk View Post
This is coming from alot of Penguin insiders, beat writers, etc.

They value Pouliot and Maata very high.

Matta was likened to a young Ryan Suter, while Pouliot is the future PP QB.

The Pens value them higher than Despres, Morrow, Harrington, Dumoulin, etc.

Yes, they won't be ready for 3-4 years which is what you want. The Pens have an overabundance of Defensive prospects that are ready to play in 1-2 years (no sense trading the ones that will not be ready for 3-4). That's poor asset management.

If you deal, you deal from the group that will be fighting for playing time next year.
Not sure that is accurate.

OCPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 11:23 AM
McFist
Goodnight, Mr Smyth

Since there is no chance of the Pens being interested in Gonch, how about Puempel+ for Maatta? Maybe a pick thrown in there.

And any proposals for Neil won't fly. He's rated so highly that it would take significant overpayment to land him.

McFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 11:32 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFist View Post
Since there is no chance of the Pens being interested in Gonch, how about Puempel+ for Maatta? Maybe a pick thrown in there.

And any proposals for Neil won't fly. He's rated so highly that it would take significant overpayment to land him.
Thing is the Pens think they got a steal in Maatta considering he dropped to us in the draft. He is also Harrington's partner and they see that as a big + in the long run. Trading for Puempel who is a decent prospect and a later pick just won't do IMO. It's going to take a big over payment from the Sens which I understand why they wouldn't probably do it either

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 11:45 AM
McFist
Goodnight, Mr Smyth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
Thing is the Pens think they got a steal in Maatta considering he dropped to us in the draft. He is also Harrington's partner and they see that as a big + in the long run. Trading for Puempel who is a decent prospect and a later pick just won't do IMO. It's going to take a big over payment from the Sens which I understand why they wouldn't probably do it either
Yeah, seems the biggest issue is overvalue on both sides. I was actually hoping to land him at the draft. I'm a big fan of Finns in general and him specifically.

McFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 11:48 AM
Luigi Lemieux

Not terrible. I think even though the pens have a lot of options on defense now they run the risk of being too young in the playoffs. Gonchar on the 2nd or 3rd pairing would be very effective. He wouldn't have to play 24 minutes a night on the pens. And despite the pens having a 27% pp, they have looked fairly disjointed and Letang simply can't run a pp. I wouldn't be too opposed to something like this, but i think the pens need to address their winger situation first.

Luigi Lemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 11:55 AM
mpp9

If we're forced to use a roster D-man in a trade for a winger, Gonchar would fit in nicely.

mpp9 is online now   Reply With Quote