HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Some of our team stats look really bad...

Old
02-15-2013, 11:26 AM
Beerfish

vCash: 500
Some of our team stats look really bad...

no big news to most I'm sure.

We have by far the worst shots for - shots against per game ratio in the league at -6.7. Dallas and Nashville are at -5.8, -5.7 respectively and no other team is close to that.

28th in goals for per game just ahead of Minnesota and Nashville.

Brutally dead last in in 5-5 goals with 11. A massive gap between us and the next lowest being Florida at 16. 14 teams in the league have at least twice as many 5-5 goals as we do.

We should be feeling VERY fortunate that we are where we are points and standings wise considering the team performance this year so far.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 11:30 AM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
no big news to most I'm sure.

We have by far the worst shots for - shots against per game ratio in the league at -6.7. Dallas and Nashville are at -5.8, -5.7 respectively and no other team is close to that.

28th in goals for per game just ahead of Minnesota and Nashville.

Brutally dead last in in 5-5 goals with 11. A massive gap between us and the next lowest being Florida at 16. 14 teams in the league have at least twice as many 5-5 goals as we do.

We should be feeling VERY fortunate that we are where we are points and standings wise considering the team performance this year so far.

It sure will be interesting on where this team is going to be in the standings after the big nine-game road trip.

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 11:35 AM
dem

If you've watched any games it should be pretty clear...
we are a really bad team.

In fact.. we look worse than last year. Absolutely brutal start to the season.

dem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 11:38 AM
Johnny Bravo
1st overall again

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post

Yep. I wouldn't be surprised if we finish in the bottom 3.

Johnny Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 11:53 AM
oilersfan11

I don't see how Tambo keeps his job at the end of the season if this team lands a top 3 pick.

Old
02-15-2013, 11:53 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post

This actually reminds me a lot of last season when Khabby was unconscious for the 1st 13 or 14 games of the year and were were leading the div and conference, once the tending came down to earth and the pp stopped running at 35% we sunk like a rock.

Old
02-15-2013, 11:54 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
I don't see how Tambo keeps his job at the end of the season if this team lands a top 3 pick.
Tambo will be in no danger at all no matter where the oilers finish.

Old
02-15-2013, 11:55 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
He's a goner.

Now that Katz has his arena deal hammered out, all the focus from the ownership now is going to be solely on getting a winning team.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 11:55 AM
The Moose

I would have preferred if we lost games 5-4 or 6-5, at least that would confirm that our young offensive players are progressing and we need to address the known problem of defense and goaltending. But as it is, we cannot score, Dubnyk is more than ok, and we can blame lost games on inability to score rather than on shoddy defense. Frankly, I don't know what is wrong. Aren't the young guns as good as we think they are? Is it the system we play? Is it coaching?

The Moose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 11:58 AM
Soundwave

The kids are good but we underestimated the learning curve and the physical curve that it will take for them to control games at an NHL level.

The Sedins took a while before they were able to dominate opposing NHL teams.

Old
02-15-2013, 11:59 AM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Disgusting that this team could draft 1st overall for a fourth year in a row and yet the manager doesn't get fired.

Old
02-15-2013, 12:01 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
I actually don't think this is the case. If they pick in the top 3 again this year, he's done.

Burke is available and probably will lobby hard for the job or they could just hire from within (Mac T). I wouldn't necessarily be crazy about that, but I could see it.

Old
02-15-2013, 12:05 PM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moose View Post
I would have preferred if we lost games 5-4 or 6-5, at least that would confirm that our young offensive players are progressing and we need to address the known problem of defense and goaltending. But as it is, we cannot score, Dubnyk is more than ok, and we can blame lost games on inability to score rather than on shoddy defense. Frankly, I don't know what is wrong. Aren't the young guns as good as we think they are? Is it the system we play? Is it coaching?
Our young guns are a lot like an infant Superman, every once in awhile they'll get up and fly around the room punching holes through walls ... but most of the time they just fall down a lot.

Eventually, they'll grow out of it. Until then us Oilers' fans are left teetering between dream and dread.

worraps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:05 PM
MinnesotaFats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
He's a goner.

Now that Katz has his arena deal hammered out, all the focus from the ownership now is going to be solely on getting a winning team.
I really doubt it. If Tambo was told by ownership that vast improvements had to be made this year in order for him to keep his job, you'd think he would have done more to improve this team. At the end of the day, all he really did over the summer was add two very good, very young players to an already young core. Any reasonable person wouldnt assume that would be enough to turn this team around.

Tambo will be with the team until at least the end of next year.

MinnesotaFats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:06 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
I really doubt it. If Tambo was told by ownership that vast improvements had to be made this year in order for him to keep his job, you'd think he would have done more to improve this team. At the end of the day, all he really did over the summer was add two very good, very young players to an already young core. Any reasonable person wouldnt assume that would be enough to turn this team around.

Tambo will be with the team until at least the end of next year.
Maybe though I think if the ownership group has the chance to get someone more high profile (Brian Burke) they will take it.

Tambellini isn't even a former Oiler, he's relatively easy to fire without any PR mess (it's not like they're firing Gretzky) and it would placate fans for another summer at least.

Old
02-15-2013, 12:07 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
I actually don't think this is the case. If they pick in the top 3 again this year, he's done.

Burke is available and probably will lobby hard for the job or they could just hire from within (Mac T). I wouldn't necessarily be crazy about that, but I could see it.
I would easily be willing to make a bet he will be back no matter what next year. The Oilers fancy themselves as going along just fine in their plan.

I do expect a big trade though before next years draft if we do poorly this year. I've said it a few times, the Oilers will trade their #1 pick before next years draft.

Old
02-15-2013, 12:09 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Maybe though I think if the ownership group has the chance to get someone more high profile (Brian Burke) they will take it.

Tambellini isn't even a former Oiler, he's relatively easy to fire without any PR mess (it's not like they're firing Gretzky) and it would placate fans for another summer at least.
Unless their replace him with MacT whom they seem to be grooming. That move will not placate anyone at all.

Old
02-15-2013, 12:09 PM
oilersfan11

Quote:
I would easily be willing to make a bet he will be back no matter what next year. The Oilers fancy themselves as going along just fine in their plan.

I do expect a big trade though before next years draft if we do poorly this year. I've said it a few times, the Oilers will trade their #1 pick before next years draft.
Huge mistake when it's looking like the Oilers' pick is going to be a lottery pick.

Old
02-15-2013, 12:11 PM
Soundwave

If the pick is 1/2 you just take Jones or MacKinnon, sit down, and shut up.

Hire a competent GM, trade Gagner + Hemsky (if you haven't done this already) for a big body forward + top 4 d-man.

Old
02-15-2013, 12:11 PM
fysloc

I think tambo is safe until the end of his 2 year extension. If they arn't happy with results next year, then he simply won't be renewed a contract. I mean, why else give him a 2 year extension? It seems to me that he now has the core in place, and has 2 years to prove he can make this team competitive, although it could also just be because the lockout might have cancelled this season, so 2 years is actually 1 year.

fysloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:15 PM
MinnesotaFats

Quote:

When Tambo finally gets ****canned, if Burke or MacT get the job, I will stop cheering for this team. Unfortunately, I think MacT is in line for the job. They didnt send him to get a Queen's EMBA for nothing.

MinnesotaFats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:17 PM
oilersfan11

Quote:
If the pick is 1/2 you just take Jones or MacKinnon, sit down, and shut up.

Hire a competent GM, trade Gagner + Hemsky (if you haven't done this already) for a big body forward + top 4 d-man.
If we land a top-two pick this draft,and we have a choice between Nathan Mackinnon and Seth Jones,I strongly believe that we need to take the d-man(Jones).

Jones solves the issue in having a number 1 defenseman for the future.

Old
02-15-2013, 12:19 PM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

Quote:
It sure will be interesting on where this team is going to be in the standings after the big nine-game road trip.
HF Oil should be on suicide watch by about the half-way point.

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
When Tambo finally gets ****canned, if Burke or MacT get the job, I will stop cheering for this team. Unfortunately, I think MacT is in line for the job. They didnt send him to get a Queen's EMBA for nothing.
I'd be OK with Burke. He did draft the Sedins, Kesler, Kadri for the Leafs (which looks like a good pick), and even our own Justin Schultz I believe. The Vancouver organization is dominant today largely because of what he built.

He tends to win most of the trades he makes too IMO, JVR > L. Schenn, Lupul trade was a win, Phaneuf deal, etc. Toronto was just too much a train wreck to salvage, here he'd have plenty of talent to work with. He fleeced us for Pronger, but we were lucky to be bailed out with the Eberle pick (late 1st).

He is just terrible at recognizing goaltending talent though, but we already have Dubnyk, and he seems decent at least. The Leafs probably could be a fringe/bubble playoff team if they had better goaltending.

Old
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Oh man, it would be hilarious to have Burke and Lowe in the same organisation.

They would finally have their fight.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote