HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 4.0

Closed Thread

Old
02-14-2013, 06:01 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Big guys, but the only "mean" one there is Tinordi. Emelin hits like a truck, yes, but he doesn't do much in terms of intimidating after the whistle or crease clearing.
I have to disagree a bit on Emelin, in-game, players watch themselves more and more going his side, the guy hits very hard, as for crease clearing, he's very strong and has very good balance, so it's not a problem there. Post-whistle action is not very relevant to me.

As for big, tough and mean players we could get this year, Keegan Kanzig could most probably be drafted in the later rounds, this guy is huge and I think is actually decent in his zone, his offensive game is pretty much non-existant though.

Last edited by Vasculio: 02-14-2013 at 06:09 AM.
Old
02-14-2013, 06:10 AM
hab 4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
Subban is tough to play against, he's pretty mean along the boards. Just ask Crosby. He's annoying to play against.

Does Zadorov fight?

Beaulieu is an underrated fighter. I've never witnessed him lose a fight.

Told you guys I'd come back with my thoughts of last night's game. Mantha was a consistent threat, he was robbed by Chouinard on a breakaway that came out of nowhere when he blasted through Sherbrooke's first D pairing (Tassi and Neill) like it was nothing. Sherbrooke is not a strong team by any mean, but their D is their strenght, its very young, but talented and solid. He displayed pretty good acceleration for a big guy like that. Sometimes you feel he hangs on the puck for too long, but that's not a problem of IQ. He's a pretty adamant playmaker too. On the PP, the puck always comes by him, he's the one who creates plays. He plays on the right side, so he's always open for one-timers and loves to sneak backdoor. Seems to be really hard to cover him for a pass, he gets open all the time. What impressed me the most about him tonight is his puck handling, which seemed improved to me from the last game I saw him live. Yes he is 6'4 and his reach helps his put the puck away from defenders, but there aren't many players in the 'Q that can dangle like him through defenders. He was also pretty good on PK tonight, yes the Phoenix lack talent, but he didn't give them much chance to setup their PP.

Dunn was playing with Mantha on the 1st line as one of the Henley bros was suspended and he had a pretty good game. I agree with those who say he'll be a good agitator in the NHL. He's a pretty physical player and can score goals too. He's a pretty good skater and is already solid on his skates as a 17 year old. He was looking for a partner to dance all night, but Lebel didn't feel like it and Laverdure had already beaten Hester up. He's a guy that on some nights walks the line when it comes to dirtiness but it's never bad to have one of those on your side. He's only 5'11, but he's thick. He'll be a Pro.

Also, he's not available this year, but I came away impressed yet again by Nicolas Aubé-Kubel tonight. Him and Anthony Richard are pretty impressive as 16 year olds, yes they play against weaker oppositions than 'say Audette or Deslauriers, but those two are to watch for next year's draft. Especially Aubé-Kubel. He might very well be the best player from the 'Q draft this season. Very talented and very mature in his game.

I noticed the presence of a few scouts tonight at the game, but no faces that I recognized. Can't tell you if they were from NHL teams or 'Q ones.
Thanks for sharing your observations. Quite interesting. One thing though: Anthony Richard is a late 96 and thus 2015 eligible.

Old
02-14-2013, 06:39 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I mean he needs to choose his battles since that's not what he's there for, but personally I'm fine with everyone who can handle themselves fighting from time to time. I just don't want Bealieu to live in the box when he projects as a power play weapon.
Fighting it's all about winning the fight. If player X runs your goalie you go after him, even if it's a fight you may lose.

Old
02-14-2013, 07:53 AM
Mrb1p

Zadorov fighted once or twice in the O if I remember... He's not quite the enforcer.

Still willing though.

Old
02-14-2013, 08:03 AM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dada View Post
Ristolainen is listed at 6ft3, but anybody knows if he uses is body to punish fowards? Didn't see him play that much
What I've heard is that he's actually a pretty physical guy.

Old
02-14-2013, 08:26 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dada View Post
Ristolainen is listed at 6ft3, but anybody knows if he uses is body to punish fowards? Didn't see him play that much
He's not consistent about it, but he has a nasty streak and tends to get physical in front of the net. He doesn't hit everything in sight but when he does hit, it hurts. We aren't talking a Sami Salo here, he definitely uses his size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Zadorov fighted once or twice in the O if I remember... He's not quite the enforcer.

Still willing though.
He's a beast though. I don't want a good defender fighting all the time anyway, you don't want guys like that in the box. It's more the willingness and players knowing he can overpower most of the league when he has to. Chara doesn't fight that much either.

Last edited by Et le But: 02-14-2013 at 08:37 AM.
Old
02-14-2013, 09:43 AM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
I got with you on Réway. I would jump on him if he's there in the 5th round for instance. And the question mark offensively on Poirier is exactly what makes me think he will drop to the 3rd round. Can't wait to see him play with confidence Friday in Sherbrooke.
A little input on Poirier...

Last season, he nearly already had an NHL-shot. This year, he pretty much HAS an NHL shot.

But the biggest improvement was his skating. Litterally jumped from slow skater to above-average skater in one summer. One thing though : his stride is... ugly, at the very least.

Old
02-14-2013, 11:46 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Risto is not a big hitter but he does clear the crease if he can and he's shown that he's active in the corners.

Old
02-14-2013, 02:35 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by hab 4ever View Post
Thanks for sharing your observations. Quite interesting. One thing though: Anthony Richard is a late 96 and thus 2015 eligible.
Thanks I didn't know that. I'll have one more year to scrutinize his play

Old
02-14-2013, 09:57 PM
Habsoil

So i know how the lottery will work, but how will the second round be determined?
I thought i read somewhere that 1-14 will be reverse order for round 2! Is this correct?

So if calgary ends in 29th place they pick 2nd or 3rd overall.
But the in round 2, they would pick 12-13?

Someone please clarify this for me!

Old
02-14-2013, 10:00 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsoil View Post
So i know how the lottery will work, but how will the second round be determined?
I thought i read somewhere that 1-14 will be reverse order for round 2! Is this correct?

So if calgary ends in 29th place they pick 2nd or 3rd overall.
But the in round 2, they would pick 12-13?

Someone please clarify this for me!
I'm pretty sure the draft doesn't snake.

Old
02-14-2013, 11:26 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I'm pretty sure the draft doesn't snake.
I agree with this, I haven't heard anything of a "snake" lottery.

Old
02-15-2013, 01:33 AM
No Team Needed

My draft thoughts from OHL games:

- Steer clear of Rychel
- More should be talking about Monahan
- Justin Bailey would be a perfect second round pick for the Canadiens (and he's a rarity as a right handed winger with size)
- Kujawinski is a good player on a bad team, not worth a second round pick.
- Can't say enough good things about Darnell Nurse

Old
02-15-2013, 03:04 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

It's pretty sweet that every day there seems to be more players to be excited about that could fall to us in the 2nd round.

I have to confess a weakness for the mystery box so I can't help but want to somehow get more picks. I hope DD can turn it around because I'm just about positive he'll be traded no later than the off season.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:46 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Bailey shouldn't go before the 3rd round.

Old
02-15-2013, 06:15 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
My draft thoughts from OHL games:

- Steer clear of Rychel
- More should be talking about Monahan
- Justin Bailey would be a perfect second round pick for the Canadiens (and he's a rarity as a right handed winger with size)
- Kujawinski is a good player on a bad team, not worth a second round pick.
- Can't say enough good things about Darnell Nurse
I don't think Monahan will be there for us unless we trade up. He'll be a top 10 pick and I see us drafting 15-22 the way we are playing so far.

Old
02-15-2013, 06:38 AM
ClasslessGuy

Really starting to like this Emile Poirier from Gatineau. If he slips we should take a chance on him

Old
02-15-2013, 11:21 AM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I don't think Monahan will be there for us unless we trade up. He'll be a top 10 pick and I see us drafting 15-22 the way we are playing so far.
I meant more Monahan should be being discussed the way people are discussing Drouin.

Old
02-15-2013, 11:46 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Chucky breakout year

vCash: 646
Another very negative Rychel review...needless to say, I'll be watching him very closely tonight in that televised game.

The more I look at this, the more I see about 15 or 16 guys or so that I really want (the big 6/Shink/Nurse/Zadorov/Risto/Pulock/Erne/Gauthier/Domi/Wennberg/Maybe Morrissey).

I'd definitely trade a 2nd to assure we get one of them if we pick around 18-20.

Those bizarros at ISS (you know, the Galchenyuk at 14th overall and Filatov ahead of Doughty guys) come out with their updated list and it has Nichushkin 2nd overall and some other craziness http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=11321

Old
02-15-2013, 11:52 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
The more I look at this, the more I see about 15 or 16 guys or so that I really want (the big 6/Shink/Nurse/Zadorov/Risto/Pulock/Erne/Gauthier/Domi/Wennberg/Maybe Morrissey).
How do you feel about Dickinson or Mantha? Both have warts but I'd be happy to add either.

Still not really sold on Gauthier myself.

Old
02-15-2013, 11:59 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Chucky breakout year

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
How do you feel about Dickinson or Mantha? Both have warts but I'd be happy to add either.
Dickinson I would not draft in the top 20. Would be thrilled to get him late 1st or early 2nd though. I prefer Ryan Hartman to Dickinson despite Hartman being smaller.

Mantha is someone I flip flop constantly on. The 3 times I saw him this year I was underwhelmed. But the guy seems like a lethal goal scorer and if you are picking in the 2nd half of round 1 and you get a 25-30 goal scorer with size, that's a pretty solid outcome. But the consistency questions seem legit too.

I think I would be fine with him around 20th. I would not trade up for him.

Gauthier I can't wait to see next week I believe because I did not see much in the TP game. Sportsnet is showing a Rimouski game.

Old
02-15-2013, 12:16 PM
Huffman

Quote:
Those bizarros at ISS (you know, the Galchenyuk at 14th overall and Filatov ahead of Doughty guys) come out with their updated list and it has Nichushkin 2nd overall and some other craziness http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=11321
The ISS rankings are crap nowadays. The risers on their rankings are always waay high and the guys they don't like are still way to low. Lost all my respect for them when they ranked Burakovsky ahead of Lindholm in an earlier ranking, these are two guys I watch a whole lot and no matter how you twist it, Lindholm is still a far superior prospect and it's not even remotely close. Their focus now is just to create buzz for the draft.

Old
02-15-2013, 12:20 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
I haven't watched Hartman at all, who would you compare him to?

Old
02-15-2013, 12:25 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Chucky breakout year

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I haven't watched Hartman at all, who would you compare him to?
Surprised you would say that, he was on the USA WJC team, you didn't tune in to watch Galchenyuk? He played in a grinding/checking role for Team USA, but he still managed to make a positive contribution.

I think he could become a Callahan/Marchand type if things go well, only bigger as he's listed at 5'11'. He's a RW who also can play C. He's been on a total tear recently, posting 23 points in his last 12 games for Plymouth.

Old
02-15-2013, 12:27 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Surprised you would say that, he was on the USA WJC team, you didn't tune in to watch Galchenyuk? He played in a grinding/checking role for Team USA, but he still managed to make a positive contribution.

I think he could become a Callahan/Marchand type if things go well, only bigger as he's listed at 5'11'. He's a RW who also can play C. He's been on a total tear recently, posting 23 points in his last 12 games for Plymouth.
I did but to be honest, I have zero recollection of Hartman.

Plus I sort of told myself I was going to try to actually watch and enjoy the games instead of scouting/analyzing individual prospects

Sounds interesting, is he really expected to go around where we're picking though? That's the kind of player I would rather use a 2nd on, generally speaking.

Closed Thread