HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Trent Hunter for calder.

Closed Thread

Old
12-17-2003, 12:43 PM
Smash255

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Smash255
Trent Hunter for calder.

Hunter should get the calder, the kid has just been excellent. Right now he leads all rookies in goals, points & +/- and he played fewer games than most of the rookies around him in scoring & didnt play much the first few games. He also leads the Isles in goals, and leads Isles fowards in +/-. In 24 games he is 12-8-20 +13, and has been excellent the last couple weeks. He isn't the worlds best skater, but plays a tough physical game. hard to knock off the puck, hard checker, plays well in both ends of the ice & can finish. What does everyone else think about Hunter & the way he has played?

Old
12-17-2003, 12:56 PM
Orange

I hate to praise the bruins, but if Raycroft is eligible he's got my vote ...

Old
12-17-2003, 12:59 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

I'm going for Hunter too... I'm convinced Jason King's success was pure luck

Old
12-17-2003, 02:21 PM
Youreallygotme

why is everybody acting as if the season is over....did i sleep for a few months or something? they dont hand out the calder at this point in the season!!!!

Old
12-17-2003, 02:26 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucks&flames
why is everybody acting as if the season is over....did i sleep for a few months or something? they dont hand out the calder at this point in the season!!!!

If all rookies keep up at their current pace, I think it would come down to Hunter and Joni Pitkanen. And, even though I am an Islander fan, I'd give the edge to Philly's man. Defense is a much harder position to learn, and this kid has been great.

Old
12-17-2003, 02:34 PM
Kvashinator12

Send a message via AIM to Kvashinator12
But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
If all rookies keep up at their current pace, I think it would come down to Hunter and Joni Pitkanen. And, even though I am an Islander fan, I'd give the edge to Philly's man. Defense is a much harder position to learn, and this kid has been great.

darth look at the team he is playing on. Any mistakes he makes are much more easily covered. We shall see what happens, but I give Hunter the nod right now.

Old
12-17-2003, 02:50 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Didn't you hear?

Trophies are being handed out, Wings, Stars and Sens are finished, Avs are assured a Cup, what with their high-powered summer acquisitions (as soon as they get a real goalie that is; Aebischer is a bum), and Crosby and Ovechkin are being enshrined in the hockey hall of fame at this very moment.

And, oh yes - a lonnnnnnng work stoppage is guaranteed!

Remember, we never live in the present here; this is HockeysFuture!!!!

Old
12-17-2003, 04:16 PM
Bruzin

It is way to close to call so far. Good thing there is still over 50% of the season to be played. That will definately make things easier to figure out. Hunter is playing well this year, but so are Pitkanen, Raycroft, Bergeron, King and Stajan.

I hope I don't see another X for Calder thread for atleast 2 months.

Old
12-17-2003, 05:27 PM
V for Voodoo

Send a message via AIM to V for Voodoo Send a message via MSN to V for Voodoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Raycroft is not a top candidate to you? Speaking of difficult positions, Goaltending is way up there.

Old
12-17-2003, 05:51 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvashinator12
darth look at the team he is playing on. Any mistakes he makes are much more easily covered. We shall see what happens, but I give Hunter the nod right now.

Completely resonable argument. His plus/minus on a mediocre team has been very impressive.

Old
12-17-2003, 05:52 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Didn't you hear?

Trophies are being handed out, Wings, Stars and Sens are finished, Avs are assured a Cup, what with their high-powered summer acquisitions (as soon as they get a real goalie that is; Aebischer is a bum), and Crosby and Ovechkin are being enshrined in the hockey hall of fame at this very moment.

Post of the year contender right there.

Old
12-17-2003, 05:53 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Daddy
Raycroft is not a top candidate to you? Speaking of difficult positions, Goaltending is way up there.

Raycroft has been very, very good, and the Bruin's don't have a high level defense around him right now. And, yea, goaltending is a hard position for a young kid.

There has been a handful of very impressive youngsters this year, including Raycroft, Pitkanen, and Hunter. We'll see how the all do over the course of the full season.

Old
12-17-2003, 06:02 PM
Verbal Kint*

I think this season has been a turning point in Hockey. While some veterans are still producing, the emergence of young talent has been spectacular. Raycroft, Fleury, Pitkanen, Hunter, Stajan, and some non-rookies: Datysuk, Kovalchuk, Nash, Tanguay, Savard. The future of hockey, if the league can remain standing, looks promising.

Old
12-17-2003, 06:11 PM
Youreallygotme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Didn't you hear?

Lol as much as you were joking, thats what ive noticed around here. Somebody earlier said "the senators failed expectations this year"! and now theyre saying they should give the calder to trent hunter. youd have to do more than he has to run away with it so that they give it to him in December!

Old
12-18-2003, 03:02 AM
Liquidrage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvashinator12

Just the opposite happens.

He messes up and it stands out. And then he see one more shift then he sits the rest of the game.

In order for him to get ice time at even strength he can't make a mistake. Rather hard circumstances to play under. So when you see him on the ice late in a game it means he's played a good game defensively.

Plus, when he makea a mistake, there really is no one to cover it. He's a defenseman, and he's not playing infront of a great goalie. His mistakes have all lead to goals or to scoring chances.

Right now Hunter has to get the nod because his numbers are the best of the bunch.

Old
12-18-2003, 03:06 AM
Liquidrage*

Quote:

Duh!
You don't let common sense stand in the way of a good complaint, eh?

No one is acting as if the season is over.
EVERYONE KNOWS THAT WHO IS IN THE CALDER FRONT SPOT NOW IS NOT GARUNTEED TO WIN IT OR EVEN VERY LIKELY.

It's just talk on a message board about the Calder. Let it go.

Closed Thread