HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Some of our team stats look really bad...

Old
02-15-2013, 12:20 PM
MinnesotaFats

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Maybe though I think if the ownership group has the chance to get someone more high profile (Brian Burke) they will take it.

Tambellini isn't even a former Oiler, he's relatively easy to fire without any PR mess (it's not like they're firing Gretzky) and it would placate fans for another summer at least.
Unless they've given Tambo the mandate of making the playoffs this year, I can't imagine he'd get fired. Ownership has OK'd the rebuild and presumably a timeframe within which the team must become competitive. They'll stick with Tambo until he fails to deliver on what he and ownership have agreed upon as their objectives. My guess is he has until the end of next season to take this team to the playoffs. I suspect that the coming trade deadline and UFA period will be Tambo's busiest yet, simply for this reason. Next year is when he has to deliver by. And if the team makes the playoffs in 2013-14, get ready to see him extended.

MinnesotaFats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:22 PM
Mcnofool6110
#bringbacktheTeddy

vCash: 500
Our... team... sucks?

What are you talking about?! This is blasphemous... etc., etc.

Mcnofool6110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:22 PM
jukon
NHL Point Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moose View Post
I would have preferred if we lost games 5-4 or 6-5, at least that would confirm that our young offensive players are progressing and we need to address the known problem of defense and goaltending. But as it is, we cannot score, Dubnyk is more than ok, and we can blame lost games on inability to score rather than on shoddy defense. Frankly, I don't know what is wrong. Aren't the young guns as good as we think they are? Is it the system we play? Is it coaching?
I'd say faceoffs are a big problem. The less we have the puck the less we can score. Without Horcoff, Belanger is the only player we can rely on to win a faceoff. According to NHL.com only Buffalo is worse than us on the dot.

It would be contraversial but I would say we are better to let Hall take the faceoffs on our first line. It will be difficult for RNH to get better if he's not practicing but he needs to mature physically before he can win faceoffs against the NHL's top men.

jukon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:25 PM
MinnesotaFats

Quote:
I'd be OK with Burke. He did draft the Sedins, Kesler, Kadri for the Leafs (which looks like a good pick), and even our own Justin Schultz I believe.

He tends to win most of the trades he makes too IMO, JVR > L. Schenn, Lupul trade was a win, Phaneuf deal, etc. Toronto was just too much a train wreck to salvage, here he'd have plenty of talent to work with. He fleeced us for Pronger, but we were lucky to be bailed out with the Eberle pick (late 1st).

He is just terrible at recognizing goaltending talent though, but we already have Dubnyk, and he seems decent at least.
So Burke is good at drafting high in the first round. Big deal.

As to his trades, yes he has pulled off some good ones - and some spectacularly bad ones (e.g. Kessel).

My concern would be that if he were hired, he'd be taking over a team chalked full of young talent that has not delivered on its potential and he'd be doing so with a mandate to start winning immediately. We've seen Burke operate under similar conditions before and he pulled off the Kessel deal. I don't think a trigger happy GM that who likes to make a big splash would be the type of guy needed to complete this rebuild.

Old
02-15-2013, 12:25 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukon View Post
I'd say faceoffs are a big problem. The less we have the puck the less we can score. Without Horcoff, Belanger is the only player we can rely on to win a faceoff. According to NHL.com only Buffalo is worse than us on the dot.

It would be contraversial but I would say we are better to let Hall take the faceoffs on our first line. It will be difficult for RNH to get better if he's not practicing but he needs to mature physically before he can win faceoffs against the NHL's top men.
We were playing the same way even before Horcoff got hurt though.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:27 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
So Burke is good at drafting high in the first round. Big deal.

As to his trades, yes he has pulled off some good ones - and some spectacularly bad ones (e.g. Kessel).

My concern would be that if he were hired, he'd be taking over a team chalked full of young talent that has not delivered on its potential and he'd be doing so with a mandate to start winning immediately. We've seen Burke operate under similar conditions before and he pulled off the Kessel deal. I don't think a trigger happy GM that who likes to make a big splash would be the type of guy needed to complete this rebuild.
He's already said he would not have made the Kessel deal if the pick was going to be no.2. I don't believe he would trade known commodities like Hall/Eberle/Schultz/RNH/Yakupov unless we were winning the deal hands down.

Schultz was not a 1st round pick and Kesler is a late 1st.

Burke does not lose very many trades.

Old
02-15-2013, 12:27 PM
nesbit_21

bad teams have bad stats. this is a bad team.

its unacceptable and unfortunate because of the talent level, all expected better. but unless a team is PUT TOGETHER properly, all the talent in the world will not fix it. We should all realize by now that we have an incompetent GM who has had 3 first round draft picks and justin schultz fall into his lap, yet has proven absolutely incapable of making any advantageous team moves/difficult decisions (ie trade or buy out veterans, sacrifice abundant skill for desperate team needs)

when you have a handful of kids, with the talent to become some of the best players in the world, it is YOUR job (management) to surround them with the right team and veteran core (and coaching) so that can develop. This is a woefully mismanaged team and it starts from the top. It is an absolute shame, because clearly the potential is there but so far, in the three + years we have been 'rebuilding'...it is being wasted.

nesbit_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:31 PM
ChadSC
SportingCharts

When looking at Oilers from a stats perspective:

- 30th in even strength production
- 17th in even strength against
- 2nd in special teams
- 21st in goal differential per game
- 30th in shot differential per game
- 6th in save percentage
- 23rd in shooting percentage

ChadSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:35 PM
AlowlyMcOilersfan
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadSC View Post
When looking at Oilers from a stats perspective:

- 30th in even strength production
- 17th in even strength against
- 2nd in special teams
- 21st in goal differential per game
- 30th in shot differential per game
- 6th in save percentage
- 23rd in shooting percentage
The fact that we have 2.23 goals per game astonishes me.

I thought we had less.

AlowlyMcOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:37 PM
seguino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Unless their replace him with MacT whom they seem to be grooming. That move will not placate anyone at all.
god i hope Toby Peterson retires before MacT is GM

seguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:38 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Unless they've given Tambo the mandate of making the playoffs this year, I can't imagine he'd get fired. Ownership has OK'd the rebuild and presumably a timeframe within which the team must become competitive. They'll stick with Tambo until he fails to deliver on what he and ownership have agreed upon as their objectives. My guess is he has until the end of next season to take this team to the playoffs. I suspect that the coming trade deadline and UFA period will be Tambo's busiest yet, simply for this reason. Next year is when he has to deliver by. And if the team makes the playoffs in 2013-14, get ready to see him extended.
Here is something I would love to see clearly defined both by the Oilers and on this web site. What does 5 year 'rebuild' mean and what does 'competitive' mean?

You will get a wide variety of answers on these questions.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:38 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

I feel bad for RNH. Teams are clearly focusing in on him, as for much of last year he was that straw that stirred the drink. The kid has a fraction of the room he had last year, but twice the load. I'm also guessing his shoulder is bothering him a lot more than we realize.

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:41 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
We were playing the same way even before Horcoff got hurt though.
For those that are waiting for Horcoff to come back and save this team, think about that for a moment. You are actually waiting for Horcoff to come back ... the same guy we all wanted to buy out before the season started! What a sad state of affairs.

Old
02-15-2013, 12:43 PM
MinnesotaFats

Quote:
He's already said he would not have made the Kessel deal if the pick was going to be no.2. I don't believe he would trade known commodities like Hall/Eberle/Schultz/RNH/Yakupov unless we were winning the deal hands down.

Schultz was not a 1st round pick and Kesler is a late 1st.

Burke does not lose very many trades.
Hindsight is 20/20 for all GMs. But agreed, hes made some good deals. The JVR deal looks like a steal, and regardless of what anyone thinks of Phaneuf, that was a steal too.

Not sure I agree with the assessment that his draft history is solid. He sure didnt do much with the Leafs, but he often didnt have high a first round pick to use.

Anyways, I don't think he'd be the right fit and I don't think he'd be interested in EDM. One thing is certain, if he were to come, it means that both Tambo and Lowe are gone.

Old
02-15-2013, 12:48 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Hindsight is 20/20 for all GMs. But agreed, hes made some good deals. The JVR deal looks like a steal, and regardless of what anyone thinks of Phaneuf, that was a steal too.

Not sure I agree with the assessment that his draft history is solid. He sure didnt do much with the Leafs, but he often didnt have high a first round pick to use.

Anyways, I don't think he'd be the right fit and I don't think he'd be interested in EDM. One thing is certain, if he were to come, it means that both Tambo and Lowe are gone.
I think Toronto hit it out of the park with the 2012 draft. Riley is a keeper and Finn was an absolute steal with the 2nd pick. With the 3rd pick, this Toninato kid has skill (and a bit of size) to burn, and what a year he is having. Those 3 picks alone make this a great draft for Burke.

Old
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 1360
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
The fact that we have 2.23 goals per game astonishes me.

I thought we had less.
For the last month, even getting 2 seems like a stretch.

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Soundwave

Quote:

A proactive GM who wins most trades and has a decent-to-good draft history and is highly motivated? And Lowe + Tamby are gone?

Where do I sign?

Old
02-15-2013, 12:50 PM
MinnesotaFats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Here is something I would love to see clearly defined both by the Oilers and on this web site. What does 5 year 'rebuild' mean and what does 'competitive' mean?

You will get a wide variety of answers on these questions.
The first question is easier to answer objectively IMO: the rebuild started half way through the 2009/10 season. It was becoming obvious that the team was terrible despite the efforts of Lowe and then Tambo to build a contender. That's when the team clearly shifted focus. I'd say we are now in season 4 of the rebuild. Next year is season five, the end of which conincides with the end of Tambo's contract. Next year is his year to go big. I'll be shocked if we don't see him making big changes over the summer to help the Big 5.

Old
02-15-2013, 12:53 PM
MinnesotaFats

Quote:
A proactive GM who wins most trades and has a decent-to-good draft history and is highly motivated? And Lowe + Tamby are gone?

Where do I sign?
Sure sounds nice when you say it. But for all the deals Burke has made, where has it gotten the Leafs? Winning trades is one thing, just like hitting the lotto and stocking your team with firsts. But if you can't build a TEAM, all the good trades or first overall picks in the world are meaningless.

Old
02-15-2013, 12:54 PM
RaabHart
Where's the Hart?

Can anyone see where we sit for total points scored by our defense compared to the rest of the league? I'm sure our d not producing is by far the biggest problem.

RaabHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:55 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Sure sounds nice when you say it. But for all the deals Burke has made, where has it gotten the Leafs? Winning trades is one thing, just like hitting the lotto and stocking your team with firsts. But if you can't build a TEAM, all the good trades or first overall picks in the world are meaningless.
I'm going to guess the Leafs would be slightly better today if Burke walked into a situation where they already have Hall/Eberle/RNH/Yakupov/Schultz/Smid/Dubnyk for him to work with. Plus possibly another top 5 pick. And Gagner and Hemsky to dangle.

I believe the best player the Leafs had when he came into the organization was Kaberle and little to nothing in terms of young talent or trade assets.

Old
02-15-2013, 12:55 PM
MinnesotaFats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone View Post
I think Toronto hit it out of the park with the 2012 draft. Riley is a keeper and Finn was an absolute steal with the 2nd pick. With the 3rd pick, this Toninato kid has skill (and a bit of size) to burn, and what a year he is having. Those 3 picks alone make this a great draft for Burke.
Bit early to pass judgement, but I agree there is good potential there.

Old
02-15-2013, 12:59 PM
McCupofOil
Hunting A Cup

Agreed with the OP. The record is masking the fact that the team has been pretty awful for most of the year depeding on a goalie to save their bacon.
It's sad when the team plays their best game of the season IMO against Dallas and still loses 4-1. We can only hope that the light goes on for this team and they somehow figure it out during the season before it's too late but that's more wishful thinking than anything.

Just by watching this team play, you can see that they have the same exact flaws that has plagued them in the past. No system play, too many turnovers which leads to chaos in the defensive zone although they have improved in this area somewhat, they fail to make the simple passes to get into the offensive zone and when they do, they don't have the puck for long because they are too weak on the cycle, weak on faceoffs (although injuries play a part in that) too soft and too weak in the bottom 6. The vital signs are not good and the team is due for a slide once Dubnyk cools down a bit. My biggest worry is that the losing culture has seeped in with this group even the young guys, i certainly hope that's not the case.

The positives are that we might finally have a legit #1 goalie (although i still have reservations about Dubey), the 1st line is bound to start cashing in on their many opportunities and the team is still 5-5-3 despite play as poorly as it has.
This homestand is huge. I think that they need to win 3 out of their next 4 going into the road trip from hell.

McCupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 01:08 PM
Jepprey
Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
Oh man, it would be hilarious to have Burke and Lowe in the same organisation.

They would finally have their fight.
Fight for charity. I'd pay. Lol.

Jepprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 01:32 PM
Expatriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jepprey View Post
Fight for charity. I'd pay. Lol.
The Oilers would have to give them both styrofoam furniture so they wouldn't trash each others office.

Expatriate is offline   Reply With Quote