HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

have you ever gone to see the Hurricanes away from home?

Old
02-15-2013, 12:34 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

vCash: 500
only canes related game I been to was a Whalers home game in 96.. I was 10. Pissed my pants cause I drank too much soda. Missed a Kelly Chase fight but saw a Geoff Sanderson hat trick.

They left the next year lol.

I can't wait to go to a Canes home game when my pops buys a vacation place down there.. gonna likely be an hour away from Raleigh but I'll find a way to a game..

Lazyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 01:35 PM
WWAD

I've been to Montreal and Tampa as a Hurricanes fan. Montreal was awesome. Caught a little bit of flak over my Canes jersey but it was all good natured. The Habs fans were more likely to want to discuss Hurricanes players they had followed in juniors than to talk trash. Tampa was pretty nice as well. The Forum is really nice, and actually laid out quite similar to the PNC Arena. A group of three or four 12 year old kids started pointing at me and booing loudly which was pretty funny. That was the only flak I got from any of the fans.

As a Whalers fan I've been to Madison Square Garden, the old Boston Garden, the Meadowlands arena, the old Spectrum, Nassau Coliseum, and of course the Hartford Coliseum. I was never impressed with any of those old buildings. I used to go to school at Hofstra which is right across the street from Nassau Coliseum. It was a dump nearly twenty years ago. I can't even imagine how much of a dump it must be now. The old Boston Garden was even worse.

WWAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 02:09 PM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWAD View Post
I've been to Montreal and Tampa as a Hurricanes fan. Montreal was awesome. Caught a little bit of flak over my Canes jersey but it was all good natured. The Habs fans were more likely to want to discuss Hurricanes players they had followed in juniors than to talk trash. Tampa was pretty nice as well. The Forum is really nice, and actually laid out quite similar to the PNC Arena. A group of three or four 12 year old kids started pointing at me and booing loudly which was pretty funny. That was the only flak I got from any of the fans.

As a Whalers fan I've been to Madison Square Garden, the old Boston Garden, the Meadowlands arena, the old Spectrum, Nassau Coliseum, and of course the Hartford Coliseum. I was never impressed with any of those old buildings. I used to go to school at Hofstra which is right across the street from Nassau Coliseum. It was a dump nearly twenty years ago. I can't even imagine how much of a dump it must be now. The old Boston Garden was even worse.
Did you ever go to games at the New Haven Colliseum? That was the mother of all dumps.

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 02:28 PM
HisIceness
Michal Jordan

Had our beloved team not choked at the end of the 10-11 season, I and a friend or two were probably going to make the trip up to Washington for either Game 1 or 2. We all know what happened that last game :

Never got the chance to go to Atlanta Nashville might be doable in the next couple of years.

HisIceness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 02:32 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by HisIceness View Post
Had our beloved team not choked at the end of the 10-11 season, I and a friend or two were probably going to make the trip up to Washington for either Game 1 or 2. We all know what happened that last game :

Never got the chance to go to Atlanta Nashville might be doable in the next couple of years.
Believe me it's worth the trip, probably the nicest fans in the league for a road fan, and the atmosphere there is great.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 06:44 PM
tattooedsean
Hockey Maniac!

I definitely should have included any away games during the Whalers years.

Oh man, that damn Claude Lemieux score over Mike Liut still bugs me.

tattooedsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 06:48 PM
tattooedsean
Hockey Maniac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stivwhaler View Post
If we're counting the Whalers as well I've seen them in Philly, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, DC, and Cincinnati (pre-season). Found fans to be cool everywhere except Philly where it can get scary.

Yes, I edited my post. Whalers/Hurricanes away stories!

Old
02-15-2013, 07:37 PM
WWAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGrath View Post
Did you ever go to games at the New Haven Colliseum? That was the mother of all dumps.
Was that where the Whalers played after the Civic Center roof collapsed? I never caught a game, but saw several concerts there. I don't really remember much about it except that it was, indeed, the mother of all dumps.

WWAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 09:30 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

Last season I went to my first Canes game away from the RBC/PNC. I lived a few hours form Dallas for the 09-10 and 10-11 seasons but i dont believe we played them in either of those seasons. If we did, i wasnt able to make it. I was able to get to 2 Stars games over those 2 seasons, although i was deployed for all of the 10-11 seasons, so thats a wash haha.

I moved near Nashville a little over a year ago and was able to make a few Preds games before deploying again, including the Canes game last season. In all 3 games there I have been, including ours while wearing proud Canes colors, the atmosphere was upbeat, LOUD, and directly involved in the game. It was great. I went down to ice level for the warmup skates and met a few Canes fans there. I would ahve gone early or stayed later, but part of me getting the free tickets I did (military special event from some company) was that we had to ride the transportation provided. im sure ill be going to more Preds games next seasons, regardless of if the Canes are there or not. If any of you end up heading down my way, let me know. Ill try and get to the game.

Anton Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 09:31 PM
Caniac4ever
Gleason 4 Norris

vCash: 2924
Washington - Been there twice. The first time was a bit more rowdy as we sat by a bunch of college kids. We won that game and they screamed obscenities at us most of the game. The second time we sat right behind the Hurricanes bench and got a puck tossed to us from Jussi. That was a much calmer experience as we lost in the shootout. Got a fair bit of booing on the subway after the game tho. Overall both good experiences and I would definitely go again.

Atlanta - This was a really ridiculous trip as we drove down and got there just in time for the game and left immediately after the game. We won tho and now that the Thrashers are gone, I'm glad I got to go while I could. No problems with the fans at all.

Philadelphia - This was really the only bad experience I've had. It was the game a few years ago where we pulled out to a big lead and then the Flyers came back and tied it and then won in the shootout when we had fainting goat in goal. We were constantly chirped (to be expected) but then it went to throwing things at us. At one point the even took my Canes hat off and threw it around and stomped on it. The most surprising fact while all of this was going on was that an usher was directly beside us at an entrance into the arena and laughed and thought it was all funny. I was actually worried we were going to get hurt leaving the arena. I would go again, but not in Canes gear.

Boston - Went to the afternoon game after Thanksgiving a couple years ago. Got the normal smack talk, but otherwise had a good time. Didn't hurt the experience that Ward got a 3-0 shutout.

New York Rangers - Had an exceptional experience here except for losing in the shootout. Took the subway into the arena and never had the first comment from anyone. The only time we started getting some smack talk was on the way out of the arena after the game. This sweet older lady in her Rangers jersey came up in between me and my buddy and yelled at everyone to "leave her boys alone"! Would definitely go back to Madison Square Garden.

New Jersey - Nothing wrong with it, but a pretty lame experience. Ate the absolute worst hot dog ever. Very quiet crowd that never got into the game even though the Devils won 2-0. The neat thing about the game there was that they had a place out back where fans could go up and talk to the visiting team as the exited the building heading for the bus. Would go back if I was in the area, but wouldn't be terribly high on my list.

Caniac4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 09:56 PM
HisIceness
Michal Jordan

Little OT but I went a Stars game about 4 years ago. Their arena is huge, seriously that thing about everything being bigger in Texas applies to indoor basketball/hockey arenas as well. Also the food/drinks are Texas-sized. The seating bowl is a little different than most arenas, it's shaped as a rectangle. Wore a Canes shirt and hat and no one cared. The opponent that night was San Jose, who Dallas fans really don't like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Believe me it's worth the trip, probably the nicest fans in the league for a road fan, and the atmosphere there is great.
A couple of years ago I remember the Canes website was promoting a bus trip to Nashville. Was considering going but something (work or school probably) happened that weekend.

HisIceness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 10:17 PM
These Is The Times
HFBoards Sponsor

Washington - I live in northern Virginia, so I've been to 10-15 Canes/Caps match ups, and many more Caps games not involving the Canes. It's been an interesting evolution over the years. When I first went up, win or lose, it wasn't too bad of an experience because there weren't many fans. A couple times I went up in 05 and 06 and there were seemingly as many Canes fans as Caps fans. Once they started winning more regularly and the crowds were bigger, I would receive a little more flack, most likely from the bandwagoners. It's been mostly miserable going because the Canes lost far more than we've won in that building when I've been in attendance. My wife is also a Caps fan, which has typically made those losses that much more painful. I will say, the last several years, the atmosphere in the building, some bandwagon fans or not, has been every bit as good as the Canes during the playoffs often times. It's been a great place to go to games the last several years.

Toronto - For our honeymoon, we went to Canada last year. We saw the Canes in Toronto and Ottawa. The Canes won the Toronto game 3-0. It was a pretty fun game to go to. The Leafs fans spent more time cheering lets go Blue Jays than anything. Nice building and experience overall. It was definitely in a nice area of town, and of course visiting the HOF that day was excellent. I actually found an exhibit in the HHOF that spelled it Stall for Staal.

Ottawa - Canes won 2-1. Some drunk guys left a nice Sens blanket we scooped up that they likely got from signing up for a credit card or something. We were down at the glass and there were a few obnoxious drunks around, but overall, a great experience. The arena itself is nice, and we had a good time in downtown Ottawa that day, but the arena is a little further out from the heart of the city. Not much negativity for our Canes gear. Saw a few Canes fans in attendance.

Those are the only places I've seen Canes games outside of PNC.

Went to a Boston/Buffalo game in Boston once. Didn't leave any major impressions, but it was enjoyable enough.

Went to a couple Caps/Islanders games on Long Island, and that place is a total dump in a rather boring area.

MSG was cool because it was MSG, but really not memorable in any other way.

We also went to Montreal during our trip last year and saw them play Tampa Bay. It was really a wonderful experience. Good area of town. Great fans. A lot of great historical shrines and stuff inside. The French experience is cool, especially since my wife is half French Canadian. Great atmosphere in all respects even though the Habs were long out of the playoff race at that point.

Probably the only other places of note that I've been to are Giant Center for the Hershey Bears three times. One time I went up and watched the Albany River Rats beat the Bears. It's a fairly nice arena for a minor league arena. I also grew up mostly in Roanoke, VA and watched the Roanoke Express of the ECHL for several years. That was always a good time as well.

These Is The Times is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 06:42 AM
tattooedsean
Hockey Maniac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniac4ever View Post
Philadelphia - This was really the only bad experience I've had. It was the game a few years ago where we pulled out to a big lead and then the Flyers came back and tied it and then won in the shootout when we had fainting goat in goal. We were constantly chirped (to be expected) but then it went to throwing things at us. At one point the even took my Canes hat off and threw it around and stomped on it. The most surprising fact while all of this was going on was that an usher was directly beside us at an entrance into the arena and laughed and thought it was all funny. I was actually worried we were going to get hurt leaving the arena. I would go again, but not in Canes gear.
It seems a general consensus among visiting fans to Philadelphia that those individuals are a little over the top in how they treat away supporters. I am all for back and forth trash talking in good fun but when something happens like to you, I just can't stand for it. That said, I would be right back there cheering my team on and looking forward to seeing them make the home fans departure at the end of the night a sad one.

Old
02-16-2013, 03:11 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Only way I've seen them is away from home. Toronto and Ottawa.

I'd like to make it down to Raleigh for a home game eventually.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote