HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We need a goalie..

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-13-2013, 05:53 PM
  #201
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 20,336
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgroban View Post
A top-5 pick who will be ready in three years? Got it.

No to tank. Yes to adjustments.
Yakupov, Galchenyuk, RNH, Landeskog, Larson, Hall, Seguin, Tavares, Hedman, Duchene, Kane -- all top-5 picks that made immediate contributions, some as impact players.

But yay to minor adjustments that doesn't alter the team much at all.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 06:19 PM
  #202
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 6,533
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlzner View Post
...i'd bet at least 3/4 of the top 5 make the NHL right out of the gate.
3/4 of 5 eh...?

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 06:23 PM
  #203
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor
 
usiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Malaz City
Country: San Marino
Posts: 10,121
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Yakupov, Galchenyuk, RNH, Landeskog, Larson, Hall, Seguin, Tavares, Hedman, Duchene, Kane -- all top-5 picks that made immediate contributions, some as impact players.

But yay to minor adjustments that doesn't alter the team much at all.
Just shooting from the hip but Jones/MacKinnon/Barkov probably could play in the NHL next year. Naturally not necessarily good prospect dev. to rush prospects.

__________________
True Story™®©
usiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 07:50 PM
  #204
ChibiPooky
Moderator
Yay hockey!
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Fairfax, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,998
vCash: 500
And the salary cap hit of a top 5 pick playing in the NHL is still about $4M, no? Assuming the max bonus package.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 07:10 AM
  #205
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 8,038
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Who's against the cap? The Caps aren't.
I don't have the figures handy but I was pretty sure with Poti back we don't have a great deal of wiggle room. Probably could fit in that contract but it would be close at the very best.

And like others have said it will hinder our flexibility in the offseason where we can take a long look and make decisions then.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 07:40 AM
  #206
Stewie G
Because Chemistry!
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,354
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
I don't have the figures handy but I was pretty sure with Poti back we don't have a great deal of wiggle room. Probably could fit in that contract but it would be close at the very best.

And like others have said it will hinder our flexibility in the offseason where we can take a long look and make decisions then.
The Caps can take on $8.67M in salary as of today. If nothing changes between now and the deadline, they could take on $26M in contracts then.

Stewie G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 07:47 AM
  #207
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 8,038
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
The Caps can take on $8.67M in salary as of today. If nothing changes between now and the deadline, they could take on $26M in contracts then.
Not bad. I think we are positioned well for when the offseason rolls around. Lets see how this season goes right now before we use up some of that space. We may find out it would be a waste.

Fact is we have good players on this team that need to play better to a man.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:11 PM
  #208
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 28,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
I don't have the figures handy but I was pretty sure with Poti back we don't have a great deal of wiggle room. Probably could fit in that contract but it would be close at the very best.

And like others have said it will hinder our flexibility in the offseason where we can take a long look and make decisions then.
Please...when was the last time McPhee signed a big $ player as an UFA? More likely, just more middle/bottom 6 forwards and cheap D if anything.

This flexibility means nothing if it's not used.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:38 PM
  #209
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 8,038
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Please...when was the last time McPhee signed a big $ player as an UFA? More likely, just more middle/bottom 6 forwards and cheap D if anything.

This flexibility means nothing if it's not used.
Well he did sign Nylander but that didn't exactly work out well.

But you can also say "when has he made a big trade for an impact player"?

You can say the Fedorov deal altho its not like we gave up much for a player in his twilight years.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:58 PM
  #210
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 28,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Well he did sign Nylander but that didn't exactly work out well.

But you can also say "when has he made a big trade for an impact player"?

You can say the Fedorov deal altho its not like we gave up much for a player in his twilight years.
That's why I'm not buying into "I'm afraid to pickup a contract for fear of no flexibility" argument. Robert Lang was the last big free agent that performed and McPhee and company swore off those signings publicly later on. It no longer fits the team's "plan".

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 08:17 PM
  #211
skrymir2000
Registered User
 
skrymir2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: San Diego/Manila
Country: United States
Posts: 92
vCash: 500
I am just curious why people think Luongo's contract is so bad? By cap hit he's the 9th highest paid goalie this year and he's easily better than 4 or 5 of the guys ahead of him.

Would you rather have Rinne for 7m/year for 7 years? Maybe... Maybe not. If you think Luongo is only good because of the team he plays on how can you not say the same about Rinne? His team doesn't even attempt to score goals. I am not saying Luongo is better than Rinne but when you compare contracts it's not so obvious.

And of those goalies ahead of him that people consider "better", Rinne, Price, Lundquist? What has any of them won? None of them have led their teams to the Stanley Cup finals.

And 5.3m/year isn't that bad of a cap hit especially if you assume the cap will continue to go up.

According to capgeek:

If Roberto Luongo retires or defects in the 2020 off-season (age 41 as of July 1 that year), and was traded to the Washington Capitals 50 percent of the way through the 2012-13 season, following is an estimated breakdown of the recapture penalties for the involved teams.

Team Benefit Penalty
Vancouver Canucks (2020-21 through 2022-23) $6,739,667 $3,369,833
Washington Capitals (2020-21 through 2022-23) $1,927,000 $963,500

So bottom line any cap penalty affects Vancouver and doesn't really affect Washington.

If he decides he wants to keep playing for 1 million/year there are a plenty of teams that would love to have a guy with a 5.3 cap hit and 1 million dollar salary.

skrymir2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 07:28 AM
  #212
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 8,038
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
That's why I'm not buying into "I'm afraid to pickup a contract for fear of no flexibility" argument. Robert Lang was the last big free agent that performed and McPhee and company swore off those signings publicly later on. It no longer fits the team's "plan".
And really I don't mind our plan. I kind of like sticking with youth and churning out draft picks and prospects.

Thats kinda why I want to stick with what we got. Stick with our goalies. Not go out and make trades that involve our prospects or draft picks. Not bring in any big contracts so we can use the money to keep our own home grown players.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 08:28 AM
  #213
RandyHolt
Capitals Station
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 25,275
vCash: 1520
If Lu's contract is not that bad, and he is that good a goalie, why are we getting the hard sell? Why don't they sell us his replacement instead?

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 09:42 AM
  #214
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 28,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
If Lu's contract is not that bad, and he is that good a goalie, why are we getting the hard sell? Why don't they sell us his replacement instead?
Lets see if you have a young stud at a cheaper rate waiting to take over ....does it take much to understand why?

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 09:43 AM
  #215
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 28,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
And really I don't mind our plan. I kind of like sticking with youth and churning out draft picks and prospects.

Thats kinda why I want to stick with what we got. Stick with our goalies. Not go out and make trades that involve our prospects or draft picks. Not bring in any big contracts so we can use the money to keep our own home grown players.
You must like 1st and 2nd round defeats then...

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 09:47 AM
  #216
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 8,038
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
You must like 1st and 2nd round defeats then...
We've tried it the other way too with signing UFAs and making trades with Poile here. Pretty much always has ended up the same way for the Caps.

I do think the salary cap world changes the way you build a team.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 09:49 AM
  #217
RandyHolt
Capitals Station
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 25,275
vCash: 1520
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Lets see if you have a young stud at a cheaper rate waiting to take over ....does it take much to understand why?
VAN fans are trying to get rid of him because of that contract. You can tell because they try to rationalize the contract in every post.

Is that young stud a bigger stud that Lu?

If Lu's contract is not a problem and he is a top 10 goalie, why not sell the stud can't miss kid for a kings ransom? Instead of embarrassing themselves begging all the other teams boards to take him off their hands.

It would sure seem to be a lot easier to sell the new stud, right?

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 09:56 AM
  #218
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 8,038
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
VAN fans are trying to get rid of him because of that contract. You can tell because they try to rationalize the contract in every post.

Is that young stud a bigger stud that Lu?

If Lu's contract is not a problem and he is a top 10 goalie, why not sell the stud can't miss kid for a kings ransom? Instead of embarrassing themselves begging all the other teams boards to take him off their hands.

It would sure seem to be a lot easier to sell the new stud, right?
I agree.

Vancouver fans can't wait to usher him and that brutal contract out the door. The guy always comes up small in the playoffs even when his team wins games.

Keep that guy as far away from DC as possible.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 10:04 AM
  #219
RandyHolt
Capitals Station
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 25,275
vCash: 1520
The core of them wanting him gone is his playoff act of course.

If they would just say his contract sucks and disappears in the playoffs at times, then i would trust them. And they admit, we just want to get whatever his value is... if any

yet they seem to want a small kings ransom for him!

He has some value to someone out there perhaps, but when posters try to sugar coat the issues, we can look else where to firm up a 3rd goalie at the deadline.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 10:06 AM
  #220
Ovechkins Wodka
Registered User
 
Ovechkins Wodka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: DC
Posts: 4,508
vCash: 500
Starting next year Loungo gets a NTC where he picks the only 5 teams where he will go to. Puts Van in a huge jam to get a deal done this season or are pretty much stuck with loungo untill hes 42.

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 10:17 AM
  #221
RandyHolt
Capitals Station
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 25,275
vCash: 1520
If he was backstopping VAN to cup after cup, his salary NTC etc would be meaningless, and they would not want him to be traded.

It would appear that he is getting the rap of a playoff choker. While he may well fit in here in that regard we already have some fat contracts to deal with.

So as we are constructed already, we must win games with our offensive horses.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 10:17 AM
  #222
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 8,038
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post
Starting next year Loungo gets a NTC where he picks the only 5 teams where he will go to. Puts Van in a huge jam to get a deal done this season or are pretty much stuck with loungo untill hes 42.
Forgot about the NTC. Even more reason to avoid this scrub.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:30 PM
  #223
InjuredChoker
Registered User
 
InjuredChoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: LTIR or golf course
Posts: 21,983
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Forgot about the NTC. Even more reason to avoid this scrub.
I'm not on Lou train but if, if he would get traded here, I don't think we would have to respect that NTC after that.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 01:11 PM
  #224
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 8,038
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
I'm not on Lou train but if, if he would get traded here, I don't think we would have to respect that NTC after that.
Oh I didn't realize that. Once your traded the NTC clause gets lifted from the contract?

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 01:12 PM
  #225
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!
 
brs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 12,216
vCash: 500
No, it doesn't. If it hasn't gone into effect, in some situations, the acquiring team can choose not to honor it... but I thought that was only if the NTC was part of a separate contract extension that hadn't yet kicked in.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:39 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.