HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft Discussion (Mar. 29 article, post #976)

Closed Thread

Old
02-15-2013, 10:02 AM
Psuhockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primary Assist View Post
Oh noooo...gotta hold on to the 3rd line center prospect. Work hard, work hard, work hard and all that.
I am not sure why everyone assumes that will be his ceiling. Holmgren said at the draft he reminded him of Adam Henrique. Here is New Jersey's press release when they drafted him.

http://devils.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=458368

Quote:
. The 5-11, 180-lb. native of Brantford, Ontario, is projected by Central Scouting as a high-energy role player,
From high end role player to Calder candidate. Laughton has better numbers than Henrique did in juniors. I am not saying he will be another Henrique, he might end up being just like John Madden. Either way I wouldnt be so quick to dismiss him before he even reaches the AHL let alone the NHL.

Old
02-15-2013, 10:10 AM
LetsGoFlyers1825

vCash: 50
The guy I want this year is Hagg. It really excites me that the Flyers asked Renberg about him. Knowing my luck, though, Hagg will be this year's Maatta and go to the Penguins.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 02-15-2013 at 03:01 PM.
Old
02-15-2013, 11:32 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Maybe snider can bribe Bettman into rigging the lottery for us if we miss the playoffs.

It would be good for the league if one of the premier franchises had a franchise defenseman, no?

Old
02-15-2013, 11:35 AM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Which is why I don't really want him. If anything, he might become a Coburn (limited offense, but not horrible, but more of a shutdown D-man). Nurse, Pulock, and Morrissey would be more ideal because they should have a better offensive game (well, Pulock and Morrissey moreso than Nurse).
Coburn put up good numbers between atlanta and his first season or two here but was asked to take on a more shutdown role with timonen.

This is zadorov's first year in the ohl and he's pretty raw still. He doesn't get much PP time with London due to harrington and maatta being there. Harrington should be gone next year and zadorov should be ready to step into a bigger role with london.

I'm not saying he's going to be an offensive dynamo, but you guys and the guys on the prospect board talk about him like he's a blackhole for offense

Old
02-15-2013, 11:57 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Maybe snider can bribe Bettman into rigging the lottery for us if we miss the playoffs.

It would be good for the league if one of the premier franchises had a franchise defenseman, no?
I actually wish the league would do this, not just for the Flyers sake but for the league. Seth Jones is the most compelling U.S. prospect to come into the league in recent memory. His race and backstory would bring a lot of mainstream media attention and could help grow the game in new precincts. The worst thing the league could do is let him end up in a Canadian city, followed by a small American city with no media coverage that could care less about hockey.

Old
02-15-2013, 12:05 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post

Well considering the premier franchises have to subsidize the small market ones it would be a win-win. More revenue for welfare handouts to the likes of Phoenix etc

Old
02-15-2013, 12:58 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
I actually wish the league would do this, not just for the Flyers sake but for the league. Seth Jones is the most compelling U.S. prospect to come into the league in recent memory. His race and backstory would bring a lot of mainstream media attention and could help grow the game in new precincts. The worst thing the league could do is let him end up in a Canadian city, followed by a small American city with no media coverage that could care less about hockey.
For all those reason he'll probably end up in Detroit

Old
02-15-2013, 01:05 PM
Krishna

Detroit needs forwards.

Give them mackinnon and give us jones

Old
02-15-2013, 01:13 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
For all those reason he'll probably end up in Detroit
Yeah, Detroit and the Flyers are 1 & 2 as far as national fans bases in the U.S., but they will probably make the playoffs. So will the Flyers for that matter so he will probably end up on the Islanders or Capitals.

Old
02-15-2013, 01:14 PM
Prongo
Beer

Detroit is making the playoffs..... they always do. They started poorly but have been playing well as of late. We are only 3 points out of last place in the NHL and 2 points out of a playoff spot. It's amazing how much every game matters right now. The Flyers can't afford to lose these games coming up, especially against teams like Pitt, NYR, and the Devils. Going on a 5 game losing streak could mark the end of our season....

Old
02-15-2013, 01:26 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Detroit is making the playoffs..... they always do. They started poorly but have been playing well as of late. We are only 3 points out of last place in the NHL and 2 points out of a playoff spot. It's amazing how much every game matters right now. The Flyers can't afford to lose these games coming up, especially against teams like Pitt, NYR, and the Devils. Going on a 5 game losing streak could mark the end of our season....
This is a weird season for me. I hope the Flyers do well but don't care if they don't due to the strength of this draft and the shortened season. Is Seth Jones or Jonathan Drouin worth what would be essentially a crappy half season in the long run? It might be. This team is missing just two pieces: a high end winger to play with Giroux and #1 all around defensemen.

Old
02-15-2013, 01:31 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
This is a weird season for me. I hope the Flyers do well but don't care if they don't due to the strength of this draft and the shortened season. Is Seth Jones or Jonathan Drouin worth what would be essentially a crappy half season in the long run? It might be. This team is missing just two pieces: a high end winger to play with Giroux and #1 all around defensemen.
I said the same thing earlier in the year. I hate the loser mentality and everything that comes with it, but this is the perfect year for you beloved team to fail. Short and quick regular season and a draft that is extremely deep. I always want them to succeed, but another top 6 injury(just like the sens) could be a disaster for our team. There is no chance that Seth Jones would be sent back down to Juniors if the Flyers somehow managed to draft him. He is the exact player we have been needing for over 10 years now. I am pretty sure though we would manage to screw up his development haha.

People are comparing him to Blake and Pietrangelo. I want to see a little more nasty from him, and the Flyers organization could be the one to bring it out of him. If he develops that part of the game, he could be the next big time defenseman(Pronger like)

Old
02-15-2013, 01:35 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
I said the same thing earlier in the year. I hate the loser mentality and everything that comes with it, but this is the perfect year for you beloved team to fail. Short and quick regular season and a draft that is extremely deep. I always want them to succeed, but another top 6 injury(just like the sens) could be a disaster for our team. There is no chance that Seth Jones would be sent back down to Juniors if the Flyers somehow managed to draft him. He is the exact player we have been needing for over 10 years now. I am pretty sure though we would manage to screw up his development haha.

People are comparing him to Blake and Pietrangelo. I want to see a little more nasty from him, and the Flyers organization could be the one to bring it out of him. If he develops that part of the game, he could be the next big time defenseman(Pronger like)
The other nice thing about Seth Jones is I think the league will do everything to promote him they can like they did Crosby. It would be nice getting a little league favoritism for once.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:37 AM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300

Old
02-16-2013, 10:37 AM
daynus

this season is just crazy.

we have 1 good game then a bad one. as the season progresses we will figure some things out. some of you had voracek written off, well he is working hard. brayden schenn was written off by some, he like voracek is working hard. giroux is working hard. we found a new power forward type mcginn. guy hits,fights, scores a goal here and there. that is good, we need more size, hitting ability having new jersey in our division-conference. this team is young, we need more pieces. i would prefer through the draft over trade, free agency, cuz those types will be a bigger cap hit. our transition game has fallen off, the lose of carle. but it will be ok when we get mez back. as nice as it would be to draft seth jones, this guy is gonna be a stud. a drew doughty type. the only bad thing is, in a few years, he will be a huge cap hit. if we can draft a #2-3 dman, that will strengthen the entire defense, as we can remove a really bad playa and add a much better one to the defensive end. i hope ghost continue to develop. the guy that compared him to rafalski seems pretty reasonable to me. so whatever pick we do end up with, we will be adding talent to this young team. if it is a lower pick, thats fine with me. with the depth in this draft, our 2nd round guy, could turn out to be a really good dman. that will improve the overall quality of our defense. the first round bpa obviously.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:38 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I really don't see the Flyers crapping the bed so bad that they get a top three pick, but as people are saying, this is absolutely the year to do it.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:52 PM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I really don't see the Flyers crapping the bed so bad that they get a top three pick, but as people are saying, this is absolutely the year to do it.
this is the way I see it. Some can call me a bad fan but I want this team to completely free fall if things do not change over the next 2-3 weeks, and the good thing is if they do go in that direction it will only be for about 2 months. So it will go by rather quick.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:59 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Who cares.
draft picks are overrated arent they? I mean what do you do with kids like Mckinnon, Jones or Drouin?
With our awesome young core we might as well give our draft picks away for veteran rentals.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:59 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justified View Post
this is the way I see it. Some can call me a bad fan but I want this team to completely free fall if things do not change over the next 2-3 weeks, and the good thing is if they do go in that direction it will only be for about 2 months. So it will go by rather quick.
The way I see it if they are going to miss the playoffs they might as well set themselves up well for the future. That makes you an intelligent fan for recognizing it.

Old
02-16-2013, 02:08 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Forwards wise, I personally think Drouin is the most explosive player in the draft. IF, we are at #2 and Jones went first, I'd easily take Drouin over McKinnon. In the end though, I think the top 5 of Jones, McKinnon, Drouin, Barkov, and Lindholm are on another level past #5.

Old
02-16-2013, 02:21 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Forwards wise, I personally think Drouin is the most explosive player in the draft. IF, we are at #2 and Jones went first, I'd easily take Drouin over McKinnon. In the end though, I think the top 5 of Jones, McKinnon, Drouin, Barkov, and Lindholm are on another level past #5.
I'd take Drouin over Mackinnon as well. The only other forward that I would pause for consideration within the top five would be Barkov. What he's doing as a 17 year old against men is something else.

Old
02-16-2013, 02:26 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I'd take Drouin over Mackinnon as well. The only other forward that I would pause for consideration within the top five would be Barkov. What he's doing as a 17 year old against men is something else.
Lindholm is doing a pretty good job too. As an 18 yr old, he is playing in the top Swedish division and has 25 points in 43 games. He is listed as a C/RW so he plays both. I like him. Not as explosive as Drouin, not a big body player like Barkov, and not a doer aller like McKinnon but the playmaking ability with skating/speed is what Lindholm brings.

Old
02-16-2013, 02:29 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Probably going to get some disagreement on who they would take at 2 or 3. personally I would take Jones if he is on the board at 2 or 3. Timonen likely has a year left after this.
Then there are other factors that some dont want to hear outloud on why we need to adress the defense first and foremost.

Old
02-16-2013, 02:33 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5602
If we're in that 2007 world, if they can't get Jones, not like MacKinnon or Drouin wouldn't help us.

Old
02-16-2013, 02:40 PM
YuioIklo

vCash: 100
If we get, let's say, pick #10, what would it realistically take to get to #2?

Closed Thread