HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

How I Met Your Mother Part II

Old
02-14-2013, 03:40 AM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
Episode was attrocious. If i wanted pathetic repetitive laughs i'd just lob out my **** in the middle of the high street.

The whole episode is so ridiculously slap stick ; every bad joke is perpetuated over and over again. Why does every joke or character issue have to be over emphasised to the point where it isn't funny?

Ted's Girlfriend has anger issues ... we get it. So she gets angry at a sports event, they bang, she destroys his house, they bang, she presumably sets something on fire in the future, they bang ... they stay together for awhile ... they bang. Because all this is witty clever comedy.

Robin has issues with children ... we get it. So no one has realised this in 8 months. So she decides to tell a really mundane story bit by bit over 17 years. OK LET ME LEAVE MY REALISM TIME MACHINE.

None of the shows relationships are remotely believable. It's so far out of reality it's absurd. This is fine if thoe show deliberately using absurdity to highlight a point, or if the absurdity is even funny.

A cameo from Mike Tyson isn't funny. Har har har .. it's Mike Tyson.

The only reason i watch this show anymore is because i wish to see who the mother is. I know i should stop watching, i know, but the ending is close enough.
I loved this.

I feel thats what most fans of the show are feeling as well. Sometimes with some episodes I just think I give it a little too much appreciation simply for being How I Met Your Mother. If I jumped into the show on this season or the past, I probably would not continue. Honestly, first 3/4 seasons were amazing, now its more cheese less laughs.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 05:38 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Finally caught up. This is the only show that I "hate watch"

I'm only in it for finding out who the mother is. I'm probably not going to watch it religiously on Mondays, but probably just whenever I just have time to online.

Go bass player at Robin and Barney's wedding!

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 06:05 PM
DuckJet
Road Rash

vCash: 577
Only watching because I want to find out who the mother is.
Why don't you wait until you see people on here, or twitter, or facebook, or what have you...say that the wait is over?

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 07:15 PM
ToddRundgren
A Wizard A True Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Why don't you wait until you see people on here, or twitter, or facebook, or what have you...say that the wait is over?
Maybe they're hoping one of the remaining episodes will be funny, or at least have a couple funny parts. That's enough for many people to keep watching.

ToddRundgren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 08:56 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
I'd rather not miss anything, so that's why I watch, but I don't look forward to watching it like I used. I just consider it 20 minutes to waste in my day.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 09:01 PM
DuckJet
Road Rash

vCash: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
I'd rather not miss anything, so that's why I watch, but I don't look forward to watching it like I used. I just consider it 20 minutes to waste in my day.
I don't look forward to it either. But most people just flat out say they only watch to find out who the mother is. Like in this thread.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 09:54 PM
Edonator
The Mightiest Club

Not really sure what finding out who the mother is, will add to the show. It's still an entertaining show and not sure why people are picking it apart like they are. It is what it is.

Edonator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 06:24 AM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

There are so many moments that alude to past episodes that it would cause confusion. That's how the creators trapped the audience. They created a show that has a few flashbacks and flashforwards (at times really well done). So when it comes down to the big "Ohhhhh" moment, you have those past episodes that build up to it.

ProPAIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:19 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
This was the best part of the episode. Actually...the only good part of the episode. I love this show, but sitcoms should not be on TV this long for fear of this stuff happening. I remember when Ted was one of the funnier parts of the show, now it's carried by NPH, Smulders and Segel. They have turned Ted into SUCH a wiener, it makes me want to vomit all over my television.
have to agree nice little twist

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 02:38 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
I openly admit it's a stupid reason to keep watching, but it is almost the only reason.

The show is still capable of the odd laugh, and usually some solid episode endings, but the filler is attrocious. Really, last episode was unflushable. I'd move house if there was that much **** to clean up in my toilet.

We all watch some shows which we know are bad, but keep watching. This is absolutely the worst show i watch.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 03:02 PM
Trance Kuja
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
We all watch some shows which we know are bad, but keep watching. This is absolutely the worst show i watch.
I don't watch shows I think are bad. That sounds stupid as all hell.

Trance Kuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 03:11 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trance Kuja View Post
I don't watch shows I think are bad. That sounds stupid as all hell.
I watch a few shows which i know are poorly written and not very good, but i still have some attachment/reason to keep watching.

I mean, you think i watch Florida because i enjoy it? Eh ..

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 04:28 PM
Reality Check

This show is really like the US Office where it still has some good moments but should have ended years ago.

I believe next year is the last season for HIMYM so I'll probably just skip the rest of this season.

Reality Check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 05:07 PM
Ozz

If you hate it so much, why not let it end and then go back and watch the one episode that introduces the mother?

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 06:06 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
If you hate it so much, why not let it end and then go back and watch the one episode that introduces the mother?
Because I want to see how it unfolds and all ties together?

I mean, what is there left in the show besides how Ted meets the mother? He has to **** up his relationship with Jeanette, but where's the rest of the drama going to come from?

Marshall and Lily are essentially perfect aside from Lily's rant to Ted that sometimes she just wants to get up and leave. Lily's relationship with her dad is fixed right now too.

I expect a couple of the next few episodes leading up to the wedding will be Barney and Robin getting cold feet.

How are they going to do a whole 9th season if Ted meets the mother at the end of this season?

Like I said, I don't love the show. NPH is great, and Segel has his moments, but other than that, it falls a little flat for me. I despise Ted Mosby. Lily is always horny, I get it. Robin is funny when she's yelling at Patrice, but that's over. I don't know.

So yeah, this post carried on longer than I wanted it to, but yeah, to see how it ties together.

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 06:13 PM
Elever
Hth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
This show is really like the US Office where it still has some good moments but should have ended years ago.

I believe next year is the last season for HIMYM so I'll probably just skip the rest of this season.
The US Office for this season and the last is waaaaay better than HIMYM. It's still intelligent and repeats jokes but not in the same stupid way. It's not what it once was and has a few bad episodes but still a very very respectable sitcom. THere's no plot or ending hook they have like in this show. Of course stuff happens to characters but I watch that show because it's enjoyable and funny, this feels like a chore.

Jason Segal's a smart guy, I'm surprised his writing or influence hasn't been considered at some point in this show, he'd have a positive impact.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 07:59 PM
Unaffiliated

This show used to be really funny.

I started watching in season 5ish and watched all of 1-4 in like a week

Unaffiliated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 07:59 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

I feel like this is a show that would have benefited greatly from a LOST-esque negotiated end date for the series. That way they would know exactly how to pace it to get to the mother and we wouldn't have as much unnecessary filler.

New Sabres Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:03 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Really liked tonight's episode...the first I've liked in a long time. They kept the premise simple, played with the storytelling, and didn't let the characters get too cartoonish. It felt a lot like a throwback episode where it didn't try too hard to be funny. I also thought the little Lilly/Marshall spat was one of their more real fights (though still not nearly as good as "pause/unpause" from season 1.)

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:14 PM
Unaffiliated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
Really liked tonight's episode...the first I've liked in a long time. They kept the premise simple, played with the storytelling, and didn't let the characters get too cartoonish. It felt a lot like a throwback episode where it didn't try too hard to be funny. I also thought the little Lilly/Marshall spat was one of their more real fights (though still not nearly as good as "pause/unpause" from season 1.)
Didn't like Barney in this one, but otherwise yeah.

Unaffiliated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:25 PM
Baarle*
Lähme looduses

I stopped watching this half way through, first time I've done that. It felt really boring and repetitive. They do the whole let's tell a story through 3 or 4 different variations too often, always hate those scenes.

Baarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 11:10 PM
Elever
Hth

^ I was just about to say that. It was so repetitive where they retell the same story and it changes a bit each time but the whole thing was quite predictable this time (and unsignificant which usually doesn't matter for sitcoms but then it has to be funny).

The Barney play at the end was a nice touch and it's acceptable to have a running joke like that but the rest of it was unoriginal. They should really have brought in new writers for the filler episodes. The part where Ted knocked over the tray while high-fiving was funny to me for some reason.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 07:36 AM
nudie

Pretty bad episode, Jason Segel seems to be in a lot better shape nowadays than a year ago tho

nudie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 10:32 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Generic filler...and not nearly funny enough. Then again Marshall barely had a role, and Barney was basically minimized too...Ted, Robin, and Lily can't supply the lulz enough for a filler episode.

I don't mind filler if it's funny, but last night missed the mark.

New Sabres Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 11:14 AM
RayP

vCash: 50
Man, you guys are tough to please. I thought last nights episode was fantastic. Almost peed myself the first half of it.

RayP is offline   Reply With Quote