HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Do you want to lose?

Old
02-15-2013, 02:13 PM
Kamus

vCash: 500
What I am saying is this:

Tambolowe 2012-2013 Finish 25
2013-2014 Finish 23
2014-2015 Finsih 22
2014-2015 Finish 18
2015-2016 Finish 15 make playoffs, lose first round
2016-2020 Make playoffs lose 1 or second round
2020-beyond oilers of 2006-2010
Kids are older, FA's......to late for change..

This is what I am scared of....Iam not a furtune teller, just seen other organizations trend like this, ala Islanders, due to bad management.

Yes in this case oilers are developing and progressing, but I want them to be always competing for the cup, not the 2nd round of playoffs.

Kamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 02:19 PM
Kamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya42 View Post
This is only year 3 of the re-build, and everyone needs to show some patience..
Its year 4 of the rebuild. I dont want it to be year 7, and still making the same excuses.

Kamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 02:25 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamus View Post
No, Im not talking about losing for the draft pick. I am talking about losing for change in managment. If we are somewhat successful this year (not bottom 5 in the league), Oilers managments and ownership will take it as a positive and keep it status quo. If we finish at the bottom again, might ownership actually realize that we have the worst managment in the nhl for the last 8 years? Or is the old boys club too tight? This was similiar to what happened before our cup run. Oilers were a mediocre to bad team and there were rumours of changing management and coaching. We went on the run and status quo prevailed. Which made us suffer through 2-3 years of a crappy team trying to achieve more then they could.

I hate even thinking of being somewhat happy that oilers are losing, because I want to see us be succesful and be a perennial cup contender. I just dont see that with our current management.....Thoughts.......

Unlike some other posters who want to blow everything up... I do beleive we have good young players to build around, just dont believe in management to fill pieces around them.

boring day at work, just thinking out loud, and probably will regret posting after getting flamed.....
I'm getting to that point but I don't have confidence in upper-management above Tambellini to make that decision nor do I have confidence in them to replace him appropriately. They'll probably just give MacT the job.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 02:26 PM
Slicknitty
"80,000 peoples"

vCash: 50
So far losing has only brought us more losing. The management hasn't gotten any better, no heads have really rolled due to mass outrage over the crappiness of how things are done here.

Nope, enough with the losing and the being okay with losing. Shiny new draft picks are the silver lining but you have to at least try to ice a competitive team. Our team sometimes reminds me of a homeless shelter with all the bums I see in it. Okay, that was a bit harsh, but they are softies.

Slicknitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 02:31 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
I'm getting to that point but I don't have confidence in upper-management above Tambellini to make that decision nor do I have confidence in them to replace him appropriately. They'll probably just give MacT the job.
Pretty much. If the OP's goal is to get rid of Lowe than I think he underestimates how firmly entrenched he is with the organization. Tambo may be expendable at some point, but as you said, they'd probably just give the job to MacT.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 02:32 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Enough losing!

Sloth Slothersons* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 02:42 PM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone View Post
Their track record with RFA's and UFA's is just as bad as their track record with trades. We all know about such UFA disasters as Khabi; which are only moderately offset by signings such as Jones. What is clear though, are some players such as Schultz signing here as a UFA is a glimmer of light; but even as Tamblowe point out, he picked the Oilers, not the other way around. This is a homerun signing, but arguably one that dropped into their laps.
I'm not sure I understand this. Is it possible that in the case where a player is wanted by every team in the league that the team picks the player?

I'm not sure what you mean. It's not even arguable that he fell into their laps - that's exactly what happened. It would have happened no matter who signed him.

Unless you're talking about the effort made to convince him this team is the right one, in which case the Oilers should get as much credit as any other team would have had he signed with them.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 03:04 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
I'm not sure I understand this. Is it possible that in the case where a player is wanted by every team in the league that the team picks the player?

I'm not sure what you mean. It's not even arguable that he fell into their laps - that's exactly what happened. It would have happened no matter who signed him.

Unless you're talking about the effort made to convince him this team is the right one, in which case the Oilers should get as much credit as any other team would have had he signed with them.
I'm trying to make the point that out of all the signings they've made, finally one appears to finally be a homerun ... but until a pattern develop's where the Oilers are the destination of choice for UFA's; I will not credit management with a thumbs up, especially when you consider all their other failures.

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 03:11 PM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth Slothersons View Post
Enough losing!
Don't tell us (fans) that,tell that to the management.

oilersfan11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 03:36 PM
CupofOil
Fire Lowe

What's the point? Lowe isn't going anywhere and MacT just got here so he's not going anywhere and if anything, will be the likely candidate to replace Tambellini.
Actually Tambellini isn't going anywhere either. Katz gave him the mandate to go through a LONG TERM rebuild, this is only Year 3.

If they finish bottom 5 again especially if it's 4th or 5th worst, it'll just be looked at as another positive step in the process. I do believe that this offseason is when we see Tambellini make more significant moves, it has been hinted at by Stauffer and some other media types so IMO, we will really see what he's made of in the offseason.

I don't think that he has done enough bad to be labeled as a bad GM and he hasn't done enough good to be labeled a good GM, he's just an incomplete as of now because the mandate thus far by ownership has been to take the slow, steady approach and build from within. We'll find out a lot about Tambellini this offseason. If he makes minimal changes again especially if they finish low in the standings, then i have no clue what the plan is.

In the meantime.... No, i won't root for the team to lose. That's ridiculous.
I hope that they make the playoffs and Tambellini is hailed as a good GM, why would i root for them to lose just to spite management? Sounds pretty silly if you ask me.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 03:45 PM
Oilerz

Quote:
A few of us have been calling for a change in management since the Pronger trade. That management group would include both KLowe and Tambellini, as there is sufficient evidence that Tambellini doesn't make a move without his masters blessing.

An unbiased review of the history of management would show anything from utter incompetance through moderate success. The biggest knock against management in my view is the arrogant treatment of players and agents (Comrie's treatment by KLowe is just one example). This type of treatment resonates quite loudly with the NHLPA and it's members, and I believe is the single biggest reason UFA's refuse to sign here.

Tamblowe's track record when it comes to making trades to benefit the team is abhorrent; and when posters here defend it, it really says more about the poster than Tamblowe.

It is also clear that there ability to evaluate and recognize the needs of the "team" is lacking. A simple example is filling the team with smurfs, in a league that requires grit and size to win. This group has never been able to fill holes in the roster, and when they plug one leak ... it seems like the generate 2 or 3 others.

Their track record with RFA's and UFA's is just as bad as their track record with trades. We all know about such UFA disasters as Khabi; which are only moderately offset by signings such as Jones. What is clear though, are some players such as Schultz signing here as a UFA is a glimmer of light; but even as Tamblowe point out, he picked the Oilers, not the other way around. This is a homerun signing, but arguably one that dropped into their laps.

The draft track record is mediocre, and I believe still a work in progress. In evaluating Kevin Prendergast's work; who was hand picked by KLowe; drafting kid's such as Dubnyk and Petry clearly could not offset the abysmal record in off the board 1st round selections such as MAP, Nash, Plante etc. MacGregor in my mind has faired only slightly better because of the Eberle homerun. However, when evaluating him, take away the 1st overall picks and his record is probably less than average. Recently, I've wondered if in evaluating him, we look at just his North American team, how have they faired?

The coaching carousel is a joke. Four coaches in four years. Really, what happends next year? Five in five? There is only one team in the NHL that would allow management to get away with this. Want to guess which team that is?

I know many posters will tell you this is part of a grand plan devised by the evil genius KLowe. But that is nonsense ... this so called 'rebuild' was not planned. It was thrust upon them by failure after failure; and only then did KLowe promote himself and put in Tambellini as his fall-guy for the inevitable failures to come.

I only keep my Oiler "fan card", in the hope that one day, this management team will be fired. Rest assured, 3 or 4 years from now, when this team is continuing it's Florida / NYI style rebuild, and Hall is demanding a trade, Tamblowe will be replaced by MacT (the only guy with a brain in the oranization, and the sole proprietor of the 2006 cup run) ... and no, I don't want to lose anymore.
When will people get it through their heads that Lowe is going nowhere? He is Katz's buddy, the team isn't losing money, there is no reason for him to be fired in Katz's mind. Its two old friends having fun and nothing more. Next meeting: " Well, what if we tried this" (Insert next hairbrained scheme).

Oilerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 04:00 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Losing is for losers.

I don't want to be a loser.

I want this team to win.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 04:10 PM
Blue And Orange
SEAHAWKS SB48 CHAMPS

I'm willing to give management one more off-season to add proven players. If they fail and we no progress in 2013-14, clean house.

Last off-season had the uncertainty of the lockout.

Blue And Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 04:17 PM
jbean

I got heavily criticized in another thread for suggesting that Tambo has failed to make a single impact move. People didn't disagree that Tambo's moves haven't had much of an effect on the overall success of the team, but rather called me foolish for thinking Tambo might've had better options. My point isn't that Tambo should've tried going after another Heatley or Hossa, but rather that Tambo has simply failed in every way at trying to improve the team.

Our holes are obvious. Everyone knows what this team lacks. Size, defense, centres that can win faceoffs. Tambo has shown no creativity whatsoever at trying to address these issues. He's signed and traded for lower end solutions. Is it any surprise that Belanger, Eager, Fistric, Potter, and Nick Schultz haven't been able to turn this team around? They are great supplemental players but many of them came here because everywhere else in the NHL they would have a much smaller role or be on the farm team. He also hasn't even intended to tank every year. Every single season there is the hope that this team can finally make a playoff push. And after a month or two we are already thinking about tanking. There comes a point when you hold the GM accountable for being the worst team in the NHL over the last 5 years.

jbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 04:20 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

We need Burke!

The guy can actually make big moves... I'm just scared on who he would move haha

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 04:31 PM
OilDrop37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leman Russ View Post
We need Burke!

The guy can actually make big moves... I'm just scared on who he would move haha
Pass on Burke

Would rather give Hextall a shot

OilDrop37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 04:32 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerz View Post
When will people get it through their heads that Lowe is going nowhere? He is Katz's buddy, the team isn't losing money, there is no reason for him to be fired in Katz's mind. Its two old friends having fun and nothing more. Next meeting: " Well, what if we tried this" (Insert next hairbrained scheme).
If that's the case, then we might as well have Harold Ballard as our owner.

Old
02-15-2013, 04:33 PM
GreatKeith

There's no guarantee that management's replacement will be better.

What if they're worse?

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 04:38 PM
jbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leman Russ View Post
We need Burke!

He might not be my first choice, but I think he could do wonders for this team. Phaneuf, JVR, and Lupul were nice additions and he acquired them for Schenn and scrap parts. He might not be the best GM for a rebuild (Tambo is a magnificent GM if you want a tank job) but I think he can do a good job turning a team into a contender.

Tambo has no guts and is going to sit on everything we have waiting for everything to come together. I highly doubt he will acquire a significant top 4 dman in his tenure and I imagine his plan is just to wait for the kids like Klefbom and Marincin to pan out which will take another 2,3,4 years.

I would like to see the Oilers distance themselves from the old boys culture and get some creativity. Think of the Alex Anthopolous of the NHL. I know it's a different sport, but he is everything that the Oilers aren't. For example, AA is known for: maintaining great PR, having great relationships with players (no Souray bs), great league wide reputation and the respect of other GMs, top of the line work ethic and a willingness to exhaust every single possibility for improvement, willingness to sell high on prospects for elite talent, understanding the value of advanced statistics while also being an experienced scout himself, "games" the system for every advantage, and I could go on. He addresses issues and took a miserably mediocre team to world series contenders in a tenure that has been shorter than Tambo's.

jbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 04:48 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
There's no guarantee that management's replacement will be better.

What if they're worse?
Worse than the management group thats had us 30-30-29 the last 3 years, so you are suggesting a group that would have us 30-30-30? I'm not sure that's possible.

Old
02-15-2013, 04:51 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Worse than the management group thats had us 30-30-29 the last 3 years, so you are suggesting a group that would have us 30-30-30? I'm not sure that's possible.
If you consider that the Oilers intended to tank/rebuild, then 30-30-29 is actually a good job by Tambo.

Problem is I don't think they intended to finish 30th in the first year.

And being a GM that manages to finish 30-30-29 on purpose, is a far cry from being a GM that can finish 1-1-1.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 04:58 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Thread is based on a false premise - losing won't result in any changes.

Lowe has a job for life, Tambo might be sacrificed for appearances, but they'll just put another ex-player with no track record in place if Lowe doesn't take over again(he wasn't happy about stepping back the first time). Even the alternative is iffy, if Mact Gms anything like he coaches, we'll be in for a fun ride of impatience, inexperience, lack of originality, and no ability to adapt - and he'll still be under the thumb of the emotional Lowe as well.

It's a private business owned by a guy who adores the 80s glory year Oilers, there will be no oustings, firings, or media flame jobs. Unless they have enough money to tempt Katz into selling the team, fans will be forced to live with whoever Katz chooses to run the team whether they like it or not.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 04:58 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamus View Post
What I am saying is this:

Tambolowe 2012-2013 Finish 25
2013-2014 Finish 23
2014-2015 Finsih 22
2014-2015 Finish 18
2015-2016 Finish 15 make playoffs, lose first round
2016-2020 Make playoffs lose 1 or second round
2020-beyond oilers of 2006-2010
Kids are older, FA's......to late for change..

This is what I am scared of....Iam not a furtune teller, just seen other organizations trend like this, ala Islanders, due to bad management.

Yes in this case oilers are developing and progressing, but I want them to be always competing for the cup, not the 2nd round of playoffs.
I've been scared of this as well. Theres a limited "re-entry orbit" to turning a corner and building a solid club. This year everybody was saying was the year this club needed to start showing its at least competitive. People all over this board were saying next year last year. But its seemingly a moving target.

Right now with this club, and with the lineup the org has trotted out there, we're teaching a raft of 8young players below age 23 how to lose.

We're instilling, rather than getting rid of losing culture. With 3 world top picks in the lineup. Disgusting.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 04:59 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Just turn the suck to 11.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 05:01 PM
OilCanada92

Gretzky.....

OilCanada92 is offline   Reply With Quote