HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Mathletic's Top 210 Prospects for the 2013 NHL Draft, February Edition

Old
02-06-2013, 11:14 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

vCash: 500
Fifty spots too low for Hartman.

02-07-2013, 07:05 AM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Fifty spots too low for Hartman.
who do you think should clearly be below him?

Mathletic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 06:33 PM
BarDownBobo
Play Bad For Ekblad

I'm curious about Zykov, can you tell me anything specifically that makes you rank him so high?

BarDownBobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 07:04 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarDownBobo View Post
I'm curious about Zykov, can you tell me anything specifically that makes you rank him so high?
He's been very productive this year, good at ES also. Some say he could be more physical due to his size, that said, he's physical enough to succeed. 7 game winners for his team this year, so he's come through for BC and has been a model of consistency so far.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:37 PM
Breakfast of Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarDownBobo View Post
To me he looks like the complete package of size and skill. His offensive game has been impressive especially in the way he protects the puck down low/cycles from the games I've seen him play.

Breakfast of Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 07:39 AM
Hockeyfriend

The way in which the original writer of this list based his results on are used by team scouts. They require a mathematical data base that puts kids on a watch list and then they spend the time looking at those kids.

It is definitely not the be all and end all of resources for NHL team scouts but it is a mathematical formula that puts names to paper.

A kid may have 30 points on PP but only 5 at even strength..that says something. However, if reverse is the case then that says something else.

I think it is a very good starting point.

Hockeyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 08:45 AM
DrPabloRamirez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathletic View Post
Rankings by League

TomᚠTörök, LW, Drummondville Voltigeurs, LHJMQ

Slovakia

Timotej Sille, C, HK 36 Skalica, Extraliga Juniorov, Slovakia
David Griger, C, HK POPRAD, Tippsport Extraliga, Slovakia
David Soltes, RW, HC Kosice, Extraliga Juniorov, Slovakia
Eduard Simun, C, HC Banska Bystrica, Tippsport Extraliga, Slovakia
Tomas Hajnik, LW, MHC Martin, Slovakia U20, Slovakia

Mislav Rosandic, D, HC´05 Banská Bystrica o.z., Extraliga Juniorov, Slovakia
Jakub Varga, D, HK S.N.Ves, Extraliga Juniorov, Slovakia
Martin Bobos, D, HC Kosice, Extraliga Juniorov, Slovakia
Stanislav Tomko, D, HC Košice s.r.o., Extraliga Juniorov, Slovakia
Matej Koch, D, HKM a.s. Zvolen, Extraliga Juniorov, Slovakia
Erik Cernak, D, HC SLOVAN Bratislava a.s., Extraliga Juniorov, Slovakia
Frederik Fekiac, D, HKM a.s. Zvolen, Extraliga Juniorov, Slovakia
Martin Pavlicek, D, MMHK Nitra, Extraliga Juniorov, Slovakia
Tomas Gula, D, HC SLOVAN Bratislava a.s., Extraliga Juniorov, Slovakia

Maros Mikolas, G, MsHK Zilina, Tippsport Extraliga, Slovakia
Erik Kompas, G, HK Dukla Trencin, Tippsport Extraliga, Slovakia
Tomas Torok - Sioux City Musketeers (USHL)
Who is Tomas Hajnik? Why is he on this list?
Erik Cernak is 1997, NHL draft 2015 eligible.

Sille, Soltes and maybe Mikolas have slim chances, Bobos, Griger and Simun were mentioned, but will be probably not drafted, the rest no chance. Except Mislav Rosandic, I would like to read some opinions about this croatian boy playing for Slovakia. He is number one D from Slovakia U18 team for me right now.

DrPabloRamirez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 01:44 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPabloRamirez View Post
Tomas Torok - Sioux City Musketeers (USHL)
Who is Tomas Hajnik? Why is he on this list?
Erik Cernak is 1997, NHL draft 2015 eligible.

Sille, Soltes and maybe Mikolas have slim chances, Bobos, Griger and Simun were mentioned, but will be probably not drafted, the rest no chance. Except Mislav Rosandic, I would like to read some opinions about this croatian boy playing for Slovakia. He is number one D from Slovakia U18 team for me right now.
thanks for the precisions. As for Hajnik he must have been listed on some CSS or other list I may have seen on the internet and chose to add him to the list even though he's not really an NHL prospect.

I asked about Rosandic a while ago on the Slovakian forum, here's all I got

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czechexpert View Post
Rosandic shifted his position in summer from forward to D. Not bad player.
that said, coming from Czechexpert, I guess is pretty good

Old
02-15-2013, 02:27 PM
bigguy245

Where is Antoine Bibeau,PEI goaltender,one of the best goalies in the Q this year?

bigguy245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 02:46 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy245 View Post
Where is Antoine Bibeau,PEI goaltender,one of the best goalies in the Q this year?
I haven't added all overagers yet

Old
02-15-2013, 03:59 PM
sniper81

I disagree with a few of your ohl rankings but overall it was a decent list (from on ohl standpoint). I have Nurse higher than Bigras and Horvat alot higher. I know Stephen harper has had a bad start but he has been picking it up the last 2 times i watched him live. Glad you had some love for Carlisle and Cassels, those 2 will get a ton of ice time next year and could take a leap in development.

sniper81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 08:25 AM
bigguy245

Sebastien Auger is an overager.He is a 1994.

bigguy245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 08:41 AM
WreckItRask

You clearly put some work in, so kudos. Like everyone else, I just don't see how Seth Jones gets passed over 3 times, regardless of what the stats/data. Guys like him are just so rare. Watching guys like Hamilton and Brodin now excelling at the NHL level just two years after getting picked, you won't find many GM's that will turn down the chance to add a guy that could play 25 minutes a night for the next 10 years.

This is a question more than a comment...Do you really think it will take 45 selections before the first non-CHL or European goes off the board?

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:00 AM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy245 View Post
Sebastien Auger is an overager.He is a 1994.
Yeah I know. I said I haven't added all of them.

I added some of them though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Sanguine View Post
You clearly put some work in, so kudos. Like everyone else, I just don't see how Seth Jones gets passed over 3 times, regardless of what the stats/data. Guys like him are just so rare. Watching guys like Hamilton and Brodin now excelling at the NHL level just two years after getting picked, you won't find many GM's that will turn down the chance to add a guy that could play 25 minutes a night for the next 10 years.

This is a question more than a comment...Do you really think it will take 45 selections before the first non-CHL or European goes off the board?
Thanks!

Well, like I said I'm not trying to predict the draft order. This is how the model sees these guys from "best" to "worst" 15 years from now. Last year I knew fully well Charles Hudon wasn't going to get picked in the top 12, yet, that's where I had him. Teams have proved to underestimate players with similar profiles in the past, so my goal wasn't to project the order in which players would be picked.

My main arguments for having MacKinnon, Drouin and Barkov ahead of Jones would be the following. The top forwards in the game tend to impact the game more so than top d-men and top goalies.

Simplifying things down to a minimum, I would not trade Alex Pietrangelo for Carey Price nor would I trade Steven Stamkos for Alex Pietrangelo.

I think high end forwards are more rare than high end d-men. If we take a look at some of the high end forwards in the league we'd find that most of them would have been selected very high in the draft. For example, Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, Tavares, Spezza, Kovalchuk, Seguin, etc. There would some lower picks like Giroux, Neal, Eberle and so on, there are some but there are fewer than there would be for D's and goalies.

For instance, on defense guys like Weber, Chara, Lidstrom, Boyle, Yandle, Burns, Visnovski, Byfuglien, Keith, Subban, etc. were available later in their draft years.

Also, d-men tend to be more sensitive to the team they are one. A good d-man put on a weaker team won't shine as much as he'd be on a good team, whereas forwards tend to be more consistent.

I give MackInnon, Drouin and Barkov the same grades I'd give to players like Stamkos, Tavares, Kane and so on, so it's almost by default they end up high on the list. That said, it's not like Jones isn't a premium prospect.

So, with that said, nothing against Brodin nor Hamilton, they're both great prospects but I'd still take the RNHs, Landeskogs, Huberdeaus of this world ahead of them.

Answer, to your question is no, I don't think it will take that long. Pretty sure a kid like Hurley will be selected fairly high. The thing is I haven't worked on USHS kids as much yet so they're still out of my rankings at the moment.

Pretty sure a team will fall in love with a kid like Fasching or Compher and select them in the first round. Brodzinski may end up a 1st rounder on my list if he keeps it up for the rest of the year.

Old
02-18-2013, 10:10 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Mathletic, whether we agree or not on the rankings and the methodology, the concept is an interesting outlook on prospects. Such experimentation in attempts to find more efficient and concise ways of predicting future success is always interesting and worthwhile, whether it proves to have much substance in actuality or not.

When did you start these rankings? Would be interesting to see the results (though the results won't be concise enough to be entirely definitive). I imagine even your oldest collection of draft ranking data remains a few years away from being able to critique it with any relevance?

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 11:05 AM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
Mathletic, whether we agree or not on the rankings and the methodology, the concept is an interesting outlook on prospects. Such experimentation in attempts to find more efficient and concise ways of predicting future success is always interesting and worthwhile, whether it proves to have much substance in actuality or not.

When did you start these rankings? Would be interesting to see the results (though the results won't be concise enough to be entirely definitive). I imagine even your oldest collection of draft ranking data remains a few years away from being able to critique it with any relevance?
I started posting rankings based stats on this board for the 09 draft. That said, I was only in my beginning back then. My list missed a ton of players and shouldn't be taken that seriously. Same for the 2010 draft, I had barely done any work during that year. I started re-working on my model for the 2011 draft. Back then I think I only posted mock drafts. I could look back at previous posts though to see if I actually posted rankings on HF. Last year I posted rankings every other months. I was still working quite a bit on my rankings then, so they could change quite a bit from month to month. The changes weren't only based on players performance but mostly based on the changes made to the model itself. That said, you could still see the model taking form and getting some good hits at the draft with guys like Hudon, Bozon, Severson and so on.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...587&highlight=

I was still struggling comparing positions and leagues at that time.

This year would be the first year that I'm much more confident about my model. Much less changes from one edition to another. The whole rankings is objective also for this year.

That said, I could post my rankings for previous drafts. That is, applying the model to previous years. Note, I'm not using any data or stats that happened beyond that draft year. For example, I'm not simply doing a regression analysis of players out of the OHL from 1998-2008 and see how they did in the NHL to do my rankings, and then use that info to rank players for the 2004 draft.

On the first page, I posted a what if scenario. That is, I applied the model to previous drafts. I gave myself the 20th overall pick and the equivalent pick of subsequent rounds to see what would have happened.

On average, since 2000, my model predicts a "better player" (for a player at the same position (F, D, G). ex. say the St. Louis Blues selected Shawn Belle n'30 overall in 2003. The top rated d-man on my list at that spot would be Shea Weber. In comparison, Weber has played 495 games, scored 266 points and recorded 55ish point shares pending on the model compared to Belle's 20 games, 1 point and -1 point share) On average the player on my list compared to the player selected by the NHL team would be "better" roughly 60% of the time pending on the variable you want to use to compare those players.

Old
02-18-2013, 11:40 AM
The Coon

Why are you so high on Michael Brodzinski? I really like him but i think he will be 3rounder in the best.

The Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 11:41 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
I started posting rankings based stats on this board for the 09 draft. That said, I was only in my beginning back then. My list missed a ton of players and shouldn't be taken that seriously. Same for the 2010 draft, I had barely done any work during that year. I started re-working on my model for the 2011 draft. Back then I think I only posted mock drafts. I could look back at previous posts though to see if I actually posted rankings on HF. Last year I posted rankings every other months. I was still working quite a bit on my rankings then, so they could change quite a bit from month to month. The changes weren't only based on players performance but mostly based on the changes made to the model itself. That said, you could still see the model taking form and getting some good hits at the draft with guys like Hudon, Bozon, Severson and so on.
hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1161587&highlight=
You'll need 3-5 years before we can devise a relatively accurate conclusion on these players, so i wouldn't count your chickens on Hudon, Bozon etc yet.

Quote:
II was still struggling comparing positions and leagues at that time.

This year would be the first year that I'm much more confident about my model. Much less changes from one edition to another. The whole rankings is objective also for this year.

That said, I could post my rankings for previous drafts. That is, applying the model to previous years. Note, I'm not using any data or stats that happened beyond that draft year. For example, I'm not simply doing a regression analysis of players out of the OHL from 1998-2008 and see how they did in the NHL to do my rankings, and then use that info to rank players for the 2004 draft.

On the first page, I posted a what if scenario. That is, I applied the model to previous drafts. I gave myself the 20th overall pick and the equivalent pick of subsequent rounds to see what would have happened.

On average, since 2000, my model predicts a "better player" (for a player at the same position (F, D, G). ex. say the St. Louis Blues selected Shawn Belle n'30 overall in 2003. The top rated d-man on my list at that spot would be Shea Weber. In comparison, Weber has played 495 games, scored 266 points and recorded 55ish point shares pending on the model compared to Belle's 20 games, 1 point and -1 point share) On average the player on my list compared to the player selected by the NHL team would be "better" roughly 60% of the time pending on the variable you want to use to compare those players.
Interesting. I would assume the lists take many people by suprise simply because they deviate so drastically from the percieved normality. Not neccessairly a bad or good thing. I disagree on some of the rankings of the few players i've seen. Nonetheless interesting. If nothing else, it creates conversation. Hopefully in a few years you will provide detailed reports on each year of measurements, so we can truely understand the merit and credibility of the model.

I look forward to the point in time where we can be reflective and know the models capabilities/limitations a little better. As a side note, how far in advance do you use these models for drafts? I am aware you have a provisional 2014 ranking. How limited are those rankings in work and projectability compared to draft year rankings? I'd be interested in seeing the effectiveness of the model a year or two out.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:11 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
You'll need 3-5 years before we can devise a relatively accurate conclusion on these players, so i wouldn't count your chickens on Hudon, Bozon etc yet.

Interesting. I would assume the lists take many people by suprise simply because they deviate so drastically from the percieved normality. Not neccessairly a bad or good thing. I disagree on some of the rankings of the few players i've seen. Nonetheless interesting. If nothing else, it creates conversation. Hopefully in a few years you will provide detailed reports on each year of measurements, so we can truely understand the merit and credibility of the model.

I look forward to the point in time where we can be reflective and know the models capabilities/limitations a little better. As a side note, how far in advance do you use these models for drafts? I am aware you have a provisional 2014 ranking. How limited are those rankings in work and projectability compared to draft year rankings? I'd be interested in seeing the effectiveness of the model a year or two out.
Yeah, I'm well aware it will take some time to validate the model, but still, I find the early results encouraging. I also have developped models for the NBA and NFL draft. So far the results have been very good also. The interesting thing for those leagues is that you have close to immediate results as players get on the team the minute they're drafted.

To give you an idea, each year we do an annual NFL mock draft in the football section. I picked for the Skins last year. I traded up for RGIII, obviously nothing new here, everybody was well aware of his talent but in the later rounds I picked Bobby Wagner, T.Y. Hilton and Bernard Pierce. All 3 ended up very good rookies in the league. The same holds true for the real NFL draft.

I'm getting similar results for the NBA draft. Obviously, the stats are different for every sports bu the idea behind the models are the same. So, I'm still taking this with a grain of salt but I find the results encouraging.

I could do a fairly good 2015 Draft Rankings as well but it would miss some leagues. For instance, the GTHL doesn't publish stats. They end up on eliteprospects at some point, so there would be something to work with there but still.

I'm still doing a Q Draft Rankings as I have almost all the data I need. All I'm still needing to do complete rankings for the Q draft are the west section of the Espoir league.

I haven't computed the numbers for early rankings. For example, I can't tell exactly how much better or worse the top/2nd,3rd ranked F/D/G would do compared to the actual NHL pick. That said, in real life, it's good enough to have a good overview of good players available so a team could work full reports on those guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Coon View Post
Why are you so high on Michael Brodzinski? I really like him but i think he will be 3rounder in the best.
I asked about him a little while ago and got the answers I expected. Not a flashy guy by any means but plays an effective game. Those guys typically do well on paper but don't flash when you watch them.

Good player on the PP, good offense at ES, effective defensively, physical enough and good enough size.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...727&highlight=

Old
02-18-2013, 12:24 PM
ZKass The Bass

You accidently ranked J.C Lipon too high in the 7th round

ZKass The Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 06:55 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

I really appreciate this list, Mathletic. I look forward to following this more and referencing it on draft day!

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 07:56 AM
Hockeyfriend

Mathletic - how accurate is your assessment? Not trying to be funny but just curious how your complete list ranks from past lists to who actually was drafted.

Is there a percentage? Such as, 90% of those listed on your historical lists have been drafted.

Just curious as there are several I have interest in but are between the 4th and 6th rounds.

Hockeyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 08:16 AM
Henkka

vCash: 528
Quote:
Time for new rankings. All my rankings are made based on stats. Feel free to ask any questions.

Note that this is how the numbers see the players becoming from "best" to "worst" and not where they end up being drafted.
Nice work.

Could you add some comparison values there? Not just the rank order.

I would be more interested about how big relative gaps there is between the players, not just the rank.

You don't have to open the whole system in here if you wan't to keep it secret, but just those final figures after the calculations would be nice to see.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 08:21 AM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Interesting stuff as usual...

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:17 AM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfriend View Post
Mathletic - how accurate is your assessment? Not trying to be funny but just curious how your complete list ranks from past lists to who actually was drafted.

Is there a percentage? Such as, 90% of those listed on your historical lists have been drafted.

Just curious as there are several I have interest in but are between the 4th and 6th rounds.
I never worked out a percentage a percentage of players on my lists who have been drafted. I could do it at some point. The main metric I use to assess the results I'm getting is the one I talked about earlier. That is, how many times is the top player on my list "better" than the player selected by the NHL team at a certain spot (i.e. 18th overall, 19th, 20th, etc.) and at the same position (forward vs forwards, D vs D, G vs G). The results are that about 60% of the time, pending on the metric used (GP, Points, PS, etc.) the player on my list was the better of the 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
Nice work.

Could you add some comparison values there? Not just the rank order.

I would be more interested about how big relative gaps there is between the players, not just the rank.

You don't have to open the whole system in here if you wan't to keep it secret, but just those final figures after the calculations would be nice to see.
Thanks!

Sure, I've been thinking about posting a projected metric of some sort like expected GP for each player or something like that to give a good idea of how much of a gap or how close players are compared to one another. I don't think I'll be able to do that this year. However, in the next version I'll express it verbally as there will be more text and not just rankings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Le Tigre View Post
Interesting stuff as usual...
Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
I really appreciate this list, Mathletic. I look forward to following this more and referencing it on draft day!
Thanks to both of you!