HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Lars Eller Thread - Coffee Shop Edition

Closed Thread

Old
02-15-2013, 03:31 PM
WakeUpNHL

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Why can't he play 3rd line?
You need a 'hard pipe hitting center' to play 3rd line center. Plus minimum height requirement in 5'9" for 3rd line center as per NHL rule book.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:31 PM
11Goat11
Inside her

I like Eller, I think he has lots of offensive skill, I don't get people who say he does not have the skill for a top 6 role. The guy does something slick every game that makes me think he can succeed in a top 6 spot, he is just a victim of numbers game right now and the team trying to figure out what they have in DD. Would love to see him get more ice time especially PP.

Trading either of these guys now while their value is low is ridiculous unless the return is really something, ROR might fit the bill but not at 5M.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:33 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
I don't see the problem in having 3 strong lines. Chicago had Bolland on the 3rd LA had stoll, Pittsburgh Staal. You can always play a center on wing when needed like Malkin with Crosby or Carter with Richards, Datsyuk with Zetterberg.

If you want DD and Eller in your top 9, then play them together with Cole. DD is the "offensive center" as the puck distributor and Eller the "defensive center" as faceoff and defensive guy. Their strengths complement each other.
If they play on the same line Eller needs to still be the center and not Desharnais

Old
02-15-2013, 03:34 PM
Adriatic

Quote:
Why can't he play 3rd line?
Because on NHL 3rd lines you have to grind, hit, forecheck and go play in corners. He's not that type of player. Find me a player like him that is playing anywhere on a 3rd or 4th line in the nhl.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:40 PM
BrimStone64

I imagine teams are trying to get Eller before he blossoms, where he is showing signs of getting close. Rumours teams tried to acquire Pacioretty after his first year here. Made the mistake with LeClair now teams line up hoping we repeat same mistake with every young player who struggles before they mature.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:41 PM
compile
Give me Scotch!

vCash: 483
Send a message via Skype™ to compile
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
I dont understand the fascination with Eller. It is as if he has become god-like to many on this board.

You say give him some quality wingers.

Why not look at his shooting %? Its 4.3%. That has nothing to do with his wingers. That is all on him.

Even Cole, who everyone is raggin on, has a higher shooting %. The only forwards who have a lower shooting % are Pacioretty and Armstrong. Moen is at 12.5%. Maybe Moen needs a better Center.

Desharnais is small. However, he has better skill with the puck and despite playing with "less than quality wingers" (based on this years stats), his shooting % is second on the team at 21.4%.

Is the Eller love validation for Gauthier since this is the only return we have for Halak when Pierre basically gave him away?
What in gods name does shooting percentage have to do with players skill?

You neglected to mention that Eller also has almost 2x more shots then DD, while

Is the DD love validation that there is only 1 Quebec born player on this roster?

Also Eller is better on faceoffs then DD as of last night. His +/- is even, and plays 3 mins LESS per game then him, on a line consisting of a construction cone and a pylon.

What does DD bring to the Habs exactly this year? Last year he was sheltered and the team for some unknown reason played around his strength (the PP).

Eller is physical, he has 21 hits so far. I don't understand how anyone can say he has no upside when he has not been given a chance at all. What did DD do to deserve all the "saint" like treatment that he gets?

Old
02-15-2013, 03:43 PM
jedimyrmidon

Think of Eller as Cody Hodgson.

You don't just give up on players like that. You don't give them away for anything less than a good, solid return.

BUT I'd rather the Habs keep him for Galchenyuk-Pleks-Eller down the middle. I also think he can be a 2nd line center.

He really hasn't been developed offensively in his NHL career playing under JM and now Therrien.

This is Therrien's approach: 'Good job Eller! You created chances, hustled down the ice, hit, performed good work along the boards.'
'You'll be a good 4th line center for us.' (which is ridiculous) I'm really hoping Therrien doesn't sacrifice his meritocracy approach for DD.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:43 PM
compile
Give me Scotch!

vCash: 483
Send a message via Skype™ to compile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriatic View Post
Because on NHL 3rd lines you have to grind, hit, forecheck and go play in corners. He's not that type of player. Find me a player like him that is playing anywhere on a 3rd or 4th line in the nhl.
My friend, you need to watch more hockey.
That doesn't exist anymore. Every line must be able to grind, hit, forecheck, win puck battles etc.

If he can't do any of those, why is he dressed?

Old
02-15-2013, 03:49 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by compile View Post

You neglected to mention that Eller also has almost 2x more shots then DD, while

Is the DD love validation that there is only 1 Quebec born player on this roster?

Also Eller is better on faceoffs then DD as of last night. His +/- is even, and plays 3 mins LESS per game then him, on a line consisting of a construction cone and a pylon.

What does DD bring to the Habs exactly this year? Last year he was sheltered and the team for some unknown reason played around his strength (the PP).

Eller is physical, he has 21 hits so far. I don't understand how anyone can say he has no upside when he has not been given a chance at all. What did DD do to deserve all the "saint" like treatment that he gets?
The best thing about Cunneyworth's fascination with DD is that we ended up drafting Galchenyuk.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:49 PM
WakeUpNHL

Quote:

Problem is both Deharnais and Eller both have only half the skills a top 6 center needs. If we could combine Eller's size/speed with Desharnais' vision and playmaking we would have a bonfide top line center ... we could call him 'Ellernais' !

Old
02-15-2013, 03:50 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
All right. So... DD isn't top-6 material, and he isn't fit to be on the 3rd or the 4th line.

So you are saying he has no business in the NHL? Come on, say it.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:52 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
I dont understand the fascination with Eller. It is as if he has become god-like to many on this board.

You say give him some quality wingers.

Why not look at his shooting %? Its 4.3%. That has nothing to do with his wingers. That is all on him.

Even Cole, who everyone is raggin on, has a higher shooting %. The only forwards who have a lower shooting % are Pacioretty and Armstrong. Moen is at 12.5%. Maybe Moen needs a better Center.

Desharnais is small. However, he has better skill with the puck and despite playing with "less than quality wingers" (based on this years stats), his shooting % is second on the team at 21.4%.

Is the Eller love validation for Gauthier since this is the only return we have for Halak when Pierre basically gave him away?
Shooting % is a relatively meaningless statistic that balances out over time. The more important statistic is shot generation. Players that shoot very little tend to have higher shooting % over a short term, but in the end DD won't be close to 21%.

I don't know Ellers shots on goal vs DD,s but shooting% means squat and the shorter the sample the less reliable it becomes. They'll be within 2-4% of each other by the time year is up. Who shoots more will determine who scores more with Eller generating 2-1 on shots, if it continues he will most definitely have more goals.

It really helps if you have a basic understanding of statistics before attempting to analyze the data. It sounds like you don't.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:52 PM
WakeUpNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
All right. So... DD isn't top-6 material, and he isn't fit to be on the 3rd or the 4th line.

No... he could play in the NHL... but not for a Stanley Cup contender. And not in Montreal, if the Habs want Stanley Cup instead of the 'Petit Gars de Chez Nous' Cup.

Last edited by WakeUpNHL: 02-15-2013 at 03:53 PM. Reason: clarity
Old
02-15-2013, 03:54 PM
Habruti!

I am a bit scared when I hear about trade Rumors involving him and Leblanc. Both have future in our organization. I hope we will have faith in our young talent.

Eller is making big steps this year and will likely take more room this year. I would really like to see him centering both Desharnais and Cole and see Pacs permenantly with Gallagher and Gally. Future looks brigth.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:54 PM
DAChampion

Quote:

Not on most teams. He is like Corey locke and Matt dagostini.

He could be a reasonable, 1 million dollar 2nd line center, but only behind an elite 1st line center.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:55 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

There's many players around the league like Eller. Players with huge upside, who show flashes of brilliance, but for whatever reason, they can't put it together consistently enough, and end up bouncing around throughout the lineup.

So I can see many trading partners where you can get a fair deal. Habs certainly won't give him away, though, so don't worry about that.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:56 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:

*Coughcubecough*

Old
02-15-2013, 03:57 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Where is it written that a 3rd line is filled with grinders? Our 3rd line this year had Galchenyuk and Gallagher on it and we are doing fine. Boston had Peverley and Seguin the year of their cup run.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:58 PM
Adriatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeUpNHL View Post
No... he could play in the NHL... but not for a Stanley Cup contender. And not in Montreal, if the Habs want Stanley Cup instead of the 'Petit Gars de Chez Nous' Cup.
Yes finally some sanity around here. Love his effort but cannot be on Stanley Cup winning team playing top 6. He can still be in NHL and play in top 6 however it's gonna be with a weak team.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:59 PM
WakeUpNHL

Quote:
*Coughcubecough*
Sorry cube only counts for a half. Like a Micky Ribs or a Benny Chicken.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:59 PM
NH57
Habs 4 Life

I wouldn't touch ROR with a 10-foot pole. We won't give him the money he wants, it will just be a waste of time. Plus, if we did give ROR his $5m per season, Subban might have something to say about that. I don't want to be involved in that.

I'd rather keep Eller. He hasn't really been given a big enough chance to prove his worth and show what he can do. I think his 4 goal gave last season is just a glimpse of what he can become.

I say keep Eller, develop him and give him opportunities. We have invested too much in him to give up on him now. Look at the Halak trade. Think about it, after the way Halak played in the playoffs, we could have gotten anybody from St. Louis, and I mean anybode, heck, we could have gotten Pietrangelo (who was still a prospect then) and then some.

We should keep Eller. That's it. Plain and simple.

Old
02-15-2013, 04:00 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Eller need's to be centering DD I GUARANTE LE SUCCESS.

We all see what Eller can do individually now lets see it with someone who can help him cycle the puck.

I'd like someone like Cole or Armstrong with them...
Bourque-Plek-Gionta
Patches-Chucky-Gally
DD-Eller-Cole
Moen-White-Prust
Armstrong

In th best of both worlds you'd put a more defensively responsible winger with Eller like Moen/prust but I don't see Cole on the fourth line really...

Old
02-15-2013, 04:01 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Chucky 1C
Plek 2C
DD 3C

Is that a horrible top 3C? Because I sure don't think so. Plek is a fantastic 2-way player, and he is still 30 years old, plenty of time left in his career.

Eller is great; it would be optimal to have him on the medium-to-long term instead of Plek or DD, maybe. That doesn't mean we shouldn't take great upside opportunities if they present themselves.
Other is a problematic top-3.

DD is only useful in the offensive zone against scrubs. That top-3 takes the best minutes away from the offensive superior plekanec and galchenyuk.

In contrast, Eller can start in the defensive zone against top scorers, which liberate the top-2 to score a lot of goals.

Old
02-15-2013, 04:01 PM
Adriatic

Quote:
Where is it written that a 3rd line is filled with grinders? Our 3rd line this year had Galchenyuk and Gallagher on it and we are doing fine. Boston had Peverley and Seguin the year of their cup run.
Listen I can't sit here and spend the afternoon explaining to you how the NHL works. If you don't see the difference between Desharnais and all those players you mentioned I can't help you.

Old
02-15-2013, 04:04 PM
holyhabs87

Trade DD instead wtf is wrong with this ****ing team sacrificing talent for politics

Honestly they should have dealt DD in the offseason like I suggested. Its embarassing how much a fan like me is right over the Habs management the last few years.

Keep Larsy!

Closed Thread