HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Goodbye Weiss

Old
02-13-2013, 05:00 PM
Cats Kneading Goals
Man In Black

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPnthrsPunk View Post
Yeah, I thought of that view as well. We can't put all of our trust into a beat writer, although he knows the team better than we do.

I'm on the fence of trading for ROR. He's shown that he has a great deal of potential scoring 55 points and being 22 years old. However, to receive $6 million for a 5 year deal seems a bit absurd and too much of a risk for Tallon to take.

I'd rather give him a 2-year deal say at $4-$4.5 million per season. That way, we can see what he's capable of and then think of re-signing at a higher price if he works out.
I agree with you. He's going to command a steep contract for a 21 year old. He could be a young Michael Peca or a young Dominic Moore. Somebody's going to gamble on that. I'm just not sure if that's a wise play for DT at this point. With that being said, I don't think a trade of Weiss would be enough to get it done. I think somebody is going to overpay in the end for ROR's services.

Cats Kneading Goals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 06:31 PM
JoemAvs

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPnthrsPunk View Post
Yeah, I thought of that view as well. We can't put all of our trust into a beat writer, although he knows the team better than we do.

I'm on the fence of trading for ROR. He's shown that he has a great deal of potential scoring 55 points a#nd being 22 years old. However, to receive $6 million for a 5 year deal seems a bit absurd and too much of a risk for Tallon to take.

I'd rather give him a 2-year deal say at $4-$4.5 million per season. That way, we can see what he's capable of and then think of re-signing at a higher price if he works out.
Actually this article only was written in response/contrast to this article:

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2013...be-over/12550/

He just wrote one to kind of show how our management argues during the contract negotiations and justifies letting ROR go over a small amount of money.

I still think that we could see something around Kulikov for ROR.
Not happy with it as an Avs fan but considering the junk we get offered on the main board, I take it...
Shore back to Denver?

JoemAvs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 08:12 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoemAvs View Post

He just wrote one to kind of show how our management argues during the contract negotiations and justifies letting ROR go over a small amount of money.

Not happy with it as an Avs fan but considering the junk we get offered on the main board, I take it...
Shore back to Denver?
Well, I've heard that Johnson might be out for a while so that could make sense. I will admit that I'd be kinda shocked to see something go down.

-ghoste

Ghoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:49 PM
Knightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoemAvs View Post

Shore back to Denver?
Doubtful.

Knightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 04:51 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Shore's definitely staying put.

02-15-2013, 01:09 AM
JonathanHuberdoh
Maybe.....next year?

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
Why haven't we looked at sending Versteeg to Colorado for O'Reilly?

I'm not completely sold on him either but I'm sure he'll put a better effort in than Versteeg will. The guy has been horrible for the last 30 games he's played.

JonathanHuberdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 09:06 AM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Shores going nowhere.

Weiss was again mediocre at best. Can't recall a battle he won against the boards.

adam graves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 09:08 AM
RampageNate

Send a message via Yahoo to RampageNate
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanHuberdoh View Post

I'm not completely sold on him either but I'm sure he'll put a better effort in than Versteeg will. The guy has been horrible for the last 30 games he's played.
In that case, I'm sure Colorado would be all over that deal.

RampageNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 09:57 AM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:

Give the guy a chance to heal ... i would not make that trade.

adam graves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 10:07 AM
RainingRats

Quote:

They don't want him, and why would they? If we could trade Versteeg for O'Reilly, it would be a steal.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 10:58 AM
IceManCat
Tank Disarmed

O' Reilly won't score as many goals but he is a better overall player

IceManCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 11:14 AM
LUUUUUIS
¿Qué bolá, Tallón?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
Give the guy a chance to heal ... i would not make that trade.
What does healing have to do with Versteeg being cute and thinking he's Crosby or Datsyuk out there? He had the same issues the last two thirds of the season last year. I love Versteeg, when he's good he's great. He just needs to stop trying to be fancy.

LUUUUUIS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 11:26 AM
ursavolta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Gudbrunson View Post
What does healing have to do with Versteeg being cute and thinking he's Crosby or Datsyuk out there? He had the same issues the last two thirds of the season last year. I love Versteeg, when he's good he's great. He just needs to stop trying to be fancy.
I agree that too much "fancy-ness" leads into bad things for the team, but what kind of player do you think Versteeg is?

He is a shifty, risk taking, type finesse player. A sort of "fancy" so to speak. We need players like that. When your team is facing a neutral zone 1-2-2 trap there are only two things that can break it. Dump and chase or leading individualistic play that breaks the trap. He sets up more things than the eye meets with his "fancyness".

We need players like Versteeg to give us that offensive creativity/patience. Thing is the guy has been battling through injuries. What do you expect Versteeg to do, trying to play the his style, mind you the style we need and saw last year, when hes battling through injuries? He could play smarter I suppose but he is going to be a ghost for the most part.

I dont want to leave room for complete excuses either, as steeger (and weiss, this convo reflects on his play as well) needs to play better but we just have a string of injuries pre and current season. Deal with them, don't immediately cast off players to fill in the losing void.

Everyone wants a quick fix, that the opposite of what we need.

Last edited by ursavolta: 02-15-2013 at 11:32 AM.
ursavolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:29 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

I would not give up Versteeg for O'Reilly straight up at this point. When Versteeg is healthy, he show signs of being a very good player. O'Reilly has plenty of potential to become even better than Vertseeg, but after only one season, I'd want to see more success. I know things aren't the greatest right now, but I've been thinking more and more about this season almost being one to get an identity of where and what the future holds in the next few seasons rather than putting all of our eggs in one basket to win it all this season.

FlaPnthrsPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:51 PM
thecloser

Nashville will take Versteeg

thecloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 01:41 PM
harv3317

i would definitely trade versteeg for the right return. i'm really getting tired of some of his antics and selfish penalties!

harv3317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 01:44 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Steeg isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Isn't this thread about Weiss?? Lol

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 02:23 PM
Pantherfan12

Steeg,Weiss, and Kulikov aren't going anywhere. People were going off the deep end with regards to resigning Kulikov and Steeg, and now people want them gone? Kulikov is the backbone of our D, so trading him would be pointless. Weiss and Steeg are big componants of our Offense so once again, trading them would be pointless. Why trade Kulikov, a future top D man, for great offense help and then turn around and trade Weiss/Steeg or both for top D help? It's a lateral move. We need to be patient and wait until Weiss and Steeg find their strides and get back into the groove of things. I know it's hard to swallow after a month or so of hockey,but it's the truth. We have all the talent to win games, we just need to find ways to put it all together in 60 min and do it consistantly.

Pantherfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 02:30 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Kulikov's not the backbone of our D. Not with Campbell on the team, and Guds has played better than him. I'm not a big fan of Kuli, has nothing to do with his lack of signing before the season stated.

Old
02-15-2013, 02:56 PM
Pantherfan12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Kulikov's not the backbone of our D. Not with Campbell on the team, and Guds has played better than him. I'm not a big fan of Kuli, has nothing to do with his lack of signing before the season stated.
Kulikov,Guds, and Campbell are the backbone to this D. Campbell is our all-star Dman, who can do it all. Guds is our stay at home Dman, and Kulikov is our offensive-defenseman. If we traded him for offensive help, who are we left with? Guds, Campbell, Kuba,Weaver,Strachan, and Jovo? Jovo is hurt and old. He needs to retire. I guess I was wrong about Kuba,because he does seem like another mediocre defensemen and nothing special. Weaver has always been the no-named, silent killer for our team.Not flashy but does the little things right, but he seemed out of place a lot this season. Strachan is good, but still needs some time. Then who? Can Petrovic surpass Kulikovs' potential? What about Robak? Is Kuli for Ryan O'Reilly really worth taking a gamble on?

All I am saying, is that in general it seems as though we like to "I love player x" and as soon as they have a bad stint for a period of time, the tune changes to "trade player x" Do we really want to trade Weiss, Versteeg, and Kulikov? I know there's question in regards to Weiss and his contract and play so far this season,but he's been our go-to-guy pretty much his entire career and I'm not ready to throw in the towel on re-signing Weiss. I love Steeg. I love his style of play and I think we need more players like him. I think when he and Weiss were 100% (which I dont think they are right now,which is why they don't have the same jump as last season), even if they didn't score, they kept us entertained. IMHO, Kulikov is also someone I enjoyed watching during games. He throws his body around. Can skate like the wind, and seems to be a great all around player. I know this season is a bit different for all three of the players, but I think between the lockout,playing overseas, injuries and not being in game shape, it has slowed them down a bit.
regardless of the outcome of this season, I feel as though this team will be playing on all cylinders before the season is up.

Pantherfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 02:58 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
Maybe.....next year?

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
Quote:
Honestly neither am I. His offensive game is nowhere near where I expected it to be at this point.

But I don't think we can lose him solely on his skating. I've stated this in a couple of other threads. He is one of two strong skating defenseman we have back there. Too many of our guys are immobile or incredibly slow. We need 2 of those types of guys, not 4.

Losing Kuli would hurt us a lot in that department IMO, especially after trading the only other guy who was a decent skater (Ellerby).

Let's bring Bouwmeester back

JonathanHuberdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 03:00 PM
RainingRats

Kulikov is much better than Gudbranson. It's not even close. He's played much better than Guds.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:05 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
Kulikov is much better than Gudbranson. It's not even close. He's played much better than Guds.
I don't think so at all, especially in the playoffs last season and at times during this season. I may be a Gudbranson fanboy, but I see good potioning, huge hits, good skating, ability to stay with the play...which Kuli can do, but Eric can also hit the net, makes smarter decisions with the puck, and has a mean streak and a half. Kuli drives me nuts at times.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:10 PM
CanadianPanther
One Patient Panther

vCash: 50
Quote:
I don't think so at all, especially in the playoffs last season and at times during this season. I may be a Gudbranson fanboy, but I see good potioning, huge hits, good skating, ability to stay with the play...which Kuli can do, but Eric can also hit the net, makes smarter decisions with the puck, and has a mean streak and a half. Kuli drives me nuts at times.
I must say, Gudbranson is a bit of a wizard on the ice sometimes

CanadianPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 03:15 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Playoff's aside, Guds has been unremarkable since he's come back. Being fair to him, he had a long layoff. His play this season has been pretty ordinary. A few big hits, yes, but nothing notable.

Kulikov has all the tools and appear to be on his way to a top pairing d-man. I see him as a #1 d-man in a few years when he gets his shot under control and more confidence in his offensive game. He does everything but fight very well. His skating has improved and he can move the puck really well. He's been very physical this year too. Once he stops making so many dumb decisions he'll be outstanding. Just a learning curve thing for younger guys.

I don't see it Guds being a #1 d-man. I know he's still very young but I don't see a #1 in him. I see him as a GREAT guy to compliment a #1 d-man, though and a future captain. He reminds me of a guy like a Brent Seabrook with all the intangibles. Horrible to play against, the type of guy who is a rare find around the league but not super skilled. He does have an underrated shot.

Sorry for the long response, I'm bored.