HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Karlsson Injured Part III [YT#1] Lacerated Achilles, Surgery Required, Out Indef.

Closed Thread

Old
02-15-2013, 02:58 PM
Penny Lane
Sens fan in the USA.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axman View Post
Longer than anyone gives him credit for.
I hate the "Cooke is a victim" mentality some people have.

People don't give him enough credit, he's been good for about a year, it's not fair that he's judged harshly, it was just an accident, blah blah blah.

The reaction to incidents involving Cooke are directly caused by his behavior. If one clean season is enough to change your mind, fine, good for you. But one clean season isn't enough for a lot of people to forget his past.

He made his bed.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:02 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie Grossie View Post
I hate the "Cooke is a victim" mentality some people have.

People don't give him enough credit, he's been good for about a year, it's not fair that he's judged harshly, it was just an accident, blah blah blah.

The reaction to incidents involving Cooke are directly caused by his behavior. If one clean season is enough to change your mind, fine, good for you. But one clean season isn't enough for a lot of people to forget his past.

He made his bed.

If Cooke charged in and dove in the air with a flying elbow or boarded the snot out of Karlsson and raised his arms in victory, I'd have no argument. Unfortunately for the lynch mob, Cooke was engaged in the normal activity associated with puck battles along the boards.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:03 PM
Penny Lane
Sens fan in the USA.

Quote:

If Cooke charged in and dove in the air with a flying elbow or boarded the snot out of Karlsson and raised his arms in victory, I'd have no argument. Unfortunately for the lynch mob, Cooke was engaged in the normal activity associated with puck battles along the boards.
I (and most Sens fans) do not believe it was intentional. I'm just reacting to the people who can't believe that some don't give Cooke the benefit of the doubt. There's a reason, and they're his own fault.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:04 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
I think Melnyk needs to chill out and head to Barbados again. What a nut.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:07 PM
HavlatMach9

Not sure if it has been posted, but here's the interview with Melnyk. Calls Cooke a dime a dozen player, worth a dime per game.
Also an analysis of the injury with his limited medical experience.

Melnyk is more negative than the most negative opinion here.

TSN Link

Old
02-15-2013, 03:08 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
I (and most Sens fans) do not believe it was intentional. I'm just reacting to the people who can't believe that some don't give Cooke the benefit of the doubt. There's a reason, and they're his own fault.
I can understand that. With all due respect, what I don't understand is that people think there is a grey area and he might NEED the benefit of the doubt. There is no doubt. Those who think think this is on purpose are giving him way too much credit.

{MOD EDIT- Delete QP}

Last edited by Homeland Security: 02-15-2013 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Edit
Old
02-15-2013, 03:10 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

Melnyk

He needs to stop embarrassing us Sens fans.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:11 PM
Penny Lane
Sens fan in the USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbian Power View Post
Melnyk

He needs to stop embarrassing us Sens fans.
The actions of someone I don't know will never embarrass me as a person.

Do I think he's a loudmouth? Probably. He loves his team and wants the best for them. He's a great owner and he's passionate. Other than that, I really don't care.

He certainly doesn't make me embarrassed to be a fan of my team.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:13 PM
MurphyDump

My apologies if this has been posted already, but I guess Eugene forgot about this play. It was a blatent headshot, much the same as other bad headshots out there. (Even Cooke's in the past) Ray Shero wasn't calling Sutton out and saying he should never play and blah blah.

Eugene calls him a goon and says that this is a league for "elite" players. Really? Cooke is a pretty darn good player when he's not making idiotic decisions, which he's had to clean up over the last 1.5-2 years.

I'm sorry Eugene, is Sutton elite? Chris Neil is elite?

Oh and now Eugene is a doctor too!
Not sure why the video is loading, but here's a link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgMG9iLx4Qc

Old
02-15-2013, 03:14 PM
Do Make Say Think
& Yet & Yet

vCash: 50
With Karlsson and Spezza out you can be sure that thanks to the lockout the Ottawa Senators will be losing a whole boat load of money since their chances of making the playoffs have dropped dramatically.
If I was Melnyk you can be certain I would be losing it.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:16 PM
Penny Lane
Sens fan in the USA.

Quote:
Ice hockey isn't an easy sport, especially when you've got 10 large, fast, and strong grown men flying around with blades attached to their feet. Unfortunate things can occur.
Cooke must just have very bad luck then.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:17 PM
JMiller

Quote:
Ice hockey isn't an easy sport, especially when you've got 10 large, fast, and strong grown men flying around with blades attached to their feet. Unfortunate things can occur.
And among the most unfortunate is that the league doesn't protect its players from people like Cooke.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:18 PM
MurphyDump

Quote:
Cooke must just have very bad luck then.
No, Cooke has made some idiotic decisions in the past and dangerous hits.

However, for anyone to say this is intentional is absolutely ridiculous. And yes it was bad luck.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:18 PM
Ference the Finger
Ference is my binky

Quote:

Yes, Cooke was engaged in a normal puck battle, But he also extends his left leg in a way that's unusual. It certainly looks like a stomping motion that serves no purpose in aiding his balance, changing direction or anything hockey-related. It's certainly not as cut and dried as the scenario you described, but with his long, long list of transgressions, I can see why he's not getting the benefit of the doubt. It's not clear that it was intentional, but it's also not clear that it wasn't. At least not to me.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:21 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ference the Finger View Post
Yes, Cooke was engaged in a normal puck battle, But he also extends his left leg in a way that's unusual. It certainly looks like a stomping motion that serves no purpose in aiding his balance, changing direction or anything hockey-related. It's certainly not as cut and dried as the scenario you described, but with his long, long list of transgressions, I can see why he's not getting the benefit of the doubt. It's not clear that it was intentional, but it's also not clear that it wasn't. At least not to me.
I've done the same thing in that position. I'm not sure if this analogy works but, have you ever lifted something such as groceries while using your knee for leverage? That's how I see it.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:22 PM
MurphyDump

Quote:
Cooke has been warned by his team, and by the league. Do you not think they're looking for a reason to get rid of him the next time he crosses the line and does something stupid?

I'm pretty sure this is a serious enough event that would warrant him being kicked out of the league......if it was intentional!

Why is it that everyone is ignoring the comments by opponents, opposing coaches, analysts, former players etc? (all saying it was clean and accidental) Why are they ignoring the replays that they showed of the Blues and Wings game where it happened the exact same way, fortunately without the cutting! But the players did hit the same way, with a leg in the air.

It happens hundreds of times a season and nobody is worried about it at all because fortunately the skates haven't cut anyone. The one freak time it does, everyone is up in arms and saying it's a dirty intentional hit.

A short time after Subban cut Staal, he actually stomped on Cooke's skate and sliced all the laces. Wasn't intentional, it was an accident, but you didn't see the Penguins going crazy and claiming he was a stomper and that he went after two of their players with his skate. LOL

Old
02-15-2013, 03:22 PM
Ference the Finger
Ference is my binky

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyDump View Post
No, Cooke has made some idiotic decisions in the past and dangerous hits.

However, for anyone to say this is intentional is absolutely ridiculous. And yes it was bad luck.
I don't think it's absolutely ridiculous. I don't think you can say with certainty one way or the other. So to say you can dismiss one side of it as completely ridiculous is silly.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:24 PM
MurphyDump

Quote:
I don't think it's absolutely ridiculous. I don't think you can say with certainty one way or the other. So to say you can dismiss one side of it as completely ridiculous is silly.
When you see interviews with opposing coaches, players, former player, analysts, etc....and they all say it was a hockey play with a freak result, I'll stay pretty confident with my opinion of it.

You can agree to disagree with myself and all the hockey brains out there I guess. No harm in that.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:25 PM
Ference the Finger
Ference is my binky

Quote:
I've done the same thing in that position. I'm not sure if this analogy works but, have you ever lifted something such as groceries while using your knee for leverage? That's how I see it.
It's not the knee lifting under Karlsson that's the issue, it's the quick extension of his foot in a stomping motion. I've seen the video many mutiples of times now, and I keep getting drawn to that motion. I can understand the comparison you're drawing when trying to gain leverage, but I don't help lift something by jerking my foot down like that.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:27 PM
haveandare

Quote:
It's not clear that it was or wasn't intentional to anybody. People don't seem to know what intent is. Cooke knows his intent - nobody else. You can argue that it looks or doesn't look particularly reckless, but people saying "definitely intentional" or "clearly unintentional" are just full of it.

Personally, I think he was more reckless than most other people seem to. I think every player is responsible for their blades. There's no excuse to "not know" where your blade is in relation to a player you're engaged with - they're at the bottom of your skates. Maybe when there are a ton of players in a small space there's an argument to be made, but one on one against the boards there isn't. Don't put the bottom of your skates on other players' skin. It's not that difficult. I'm not saying it was intentional and I'm not saying he should have been suspended or anything, but I think he clearly could have been more careful.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:27 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
It's not the knee lifting under Karlsson that's the issue, it's the quick extension of his foot in a stomping motion. I've seen the video many mutiples of times now, and I keep getting drawn to that motion. I can understand the comparison you're drawing when trying to gain leverage, but I don't help lift something by jerking my foot down like that.
The knee eventually has to come down, correct?

Old
02-15-2013, 03:29 PM
JMiller

Quote:
Does not have to come down on an ankle, correct?

Old
02-15-2013, 03:30 PM
MurphyDump

And here's another hit by Sutton before he was traded to the Sens. But this is a league for "elite" players right Eugene?

You have no room to talk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=_iw1Z0M5j6E

Old
02-15-2013, 03:34 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
Does not have to come down on an ankle, correct?
Ever been in a battle along the boards? Lots of pushing and shoving. Legs get tangled.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:34 PM
Ference the Finger
Ference is my binky

Quote:
Yes, but in the way it did? All I'm saying is it didn't look to me like a motion that had any purpose in helping him gain any leverage or advantage. The knee up under his butt, trying to gain leverage, yep - I can see that. The quick downward thrust with his skate, not so much.

I haven't had a chance to see the clips that MurphyDump referred to from the Blues-Wings game. I'll be looking for similarities when I do get to see it. Who knows, I may change my mind, but for now, I am wary of writing it off as completely bad luck.

Edit - I just looked at the video several more times, and I can see how it's possible that the downward motion of Cooke's left leg could just be a reaction to hitting the boards. I just don't know. The thing of it is, if it's almost anyone but Cooke, that immediately gets written off as a complete accident. One of the results of being completely without regard for other players' safety for so many years.

Last edited by Ference the Finger: 02-15-2013 at 03:40 PM.
Closed Thread