HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Fail for top pick. Come back with a contender next year!

Old
02-15-2013, 03:06 PM
Cujomi
Show your fury?

vCash: 500
I'm never in the camp for tanking. Always play to compete and try to win. Winning franchises are rarely brought about with your young players playing to lose.

Try hard to make the playoffs -- good drafting and asset management will take care of the rest.

That said given our current situation, as a fan it would be hard to really get mad at the team or management if our team doesn't look great for the rest of this season.

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 03:09 PM
TeamRenzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
Doubt we're turned into a contender over the offseason, even with the addition of a top-3 pick. I don't think we have the depth up front we need yet, and there's still work to be done on the blueline (esp. with Gonchar departing).
We could be a contender next year. Spezza, EK, and Jared Cowen back plus the addition of UFA and a solid 1st pick we could be in a really good spot.

We do have the core pieces in place (#1 centre, #1 goalie, and franchise #1 dman) we also have a solid bottom six, we really aren't that far off.

TeamRenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 03:11 PM
Do Make Say Think

vCash: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingKarlsson View Post
You don't make the playoffs without your top 2 players out for the season.
Pittsburgh did it in 2011

Do Make Say Think is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 03:11 PM
VikingKarlsson
Chomo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamRenzo View Post
We could be a contender next year. Spezza, EK, and Jared Cowen back plus the addition of UFA and a solid 1st pick we could be in a really good spot.

We do have the core pieces in place (#1 centre, #1 goalie, and franchise #1 dman) we also have a solid bottom six, we really aren't that far off.
We don't have enough top end talent up front. We still have a lot of bottom 6 talent in the bottom 9.

VikingKarlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 03:14 PM
Melnyks Mirage
We are what we are.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
Professional athletes will never quit or give up, unlike some of their fans.
Randy Sexton (allgedly) and the Black Sox (allegedly) say hi.

Melnyks Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 03:16 PM
TeamRenzo

Quote:
We don't have enough top end talent up front. We still have a lot of bottom 6 talent in the bottom 9.
Spezza, Michalek, Turris and Silverberg (hopefully) are all top 6 players, the addition of a top end UFA would give us enough top end talent in the top six to compete with anyone.

Anderson is a solid goalie and we have strong defensive core...we are not that far off.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:17 PM
TeamRenzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFanDan View Post
Randy Sexton (allgedly) and the Black Sox (allegedly) say hi.
Randy didnt play the games, real pros (like the Sens) would never intentionally tank.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:18 PM
VikingKarlsson
Chomo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
Pittsburgh did it in 2011
Crosby played 41 games and Malkin played 43. That is half the season.

It's a quarter of the way and Spezza will be back at the end of the season, and Karlsson is done.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:22 PM
VikingKarlsson
Chomo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamRenzo View Post
Spezza, Michalek, Turris and Silverberg (hopefully) are all top 6 players, the addition of a top end UFA would give us enough top end talent in the top six to compete with anyone.

Anderson is a solid goalie and we have strong defensive core...we are not that far off.
I am just saying getting one of drouin or McKinnon would help our top 6. The team is not going to win a cup this year lets be honest. To much of the top end talent of this team is sidelined for the most part of this season. And since it is a shortened season. I would not mind ending up dropping for a top 3 pick.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:24 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Can we draft a guy like Jerome Iginla? Love the way he plays the game.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 03:25 PM
Icelevel
little bit better

Quote:
Fighting for eight is the worst possible situation.
it's not like they sit down and sketch out a plan on where they want to finish and which games to win.

they will be trying as hard as they can to win every single night. that's the only plan as far as maclean is concerned.
i'm guessing that by doing that, with the team and coach we have we'll end up around there.

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 03:31 PM
Gil Gunderson

Sure they'll try, but I'd rather finish bottom 3 in the league than in 9th or 10th.

Gil Gunderson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 03:35 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
What happened to all the posts regarding Silfverberg & Zibanejad & Da Costa getting fifty pts in the NHL? I guess reality always seems to damper those expectations. Maybe we play more of a defensive game which could be boring to watch but NJ seemed to do well with it.

We've already been in a lot of low scoring games & maybe one or two goals will be enough to win some nights. Anything is possible & we should always play to win & try to make the playoffs even if it is for the eight spot. That's what happened last yr & it was a great playoffs that they almost pulled off.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:38 PM
topshelfie

WE're also in the end of Alfie's career , but yes let's tank for a top 3 pick

topshelfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 03:40 PM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
We don't have to tank to lose, we are effectively an AHL team playing in the NHL. Boys among men as it were. If we lose, it won't be from lack of effort, it will be from lack of talent wearing Ottawa Senators jerseys for the rest of the season.

A top pick in this draft, Spezza + EK + Cowen back next year, and a year more of experience among the young guys, and we could be ready to not only make the playoffs, but do damage once there next year.

internetdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 03:40 PM
Nizzy

Jones and Mackinnon..Would make this season worth the pain

Im not saying tank but if you have a team of rookies and 3rd 4th line grinders ..you are shooting for Top 3

Jones Karlsson
Cowen Ceci

Mackinnon with Puempel Noesen Stone Prince Silfverberg Zibanejad etc

Nizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 03:45 PM
ChocolateLeclaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
I want a top pick like probably the majority of this fanbase but the last thing I want to see is this team 'tank'. Tanking implies that the organization attempts to lose games in order rig their lottery odds. IMO the Oilers and Avalanche have done this in recent years and Karma has come back to bite them with a vengence. Both teams are still a mess despite tons of top young talent arriving.

We will win or lose with the guys in the organization and be a better team for it.
I like the opposite of this too. The New Jersey Devils two years ago were decimated by injuries and everyone wanted them to tank as they sat 2nd last in the league. The sumb!tches fought like crazy, won games they shouldn't have and just missed out on a playoff spot.

They then won the lottery and got to pick 4th instead of 8th. Hockey karma works both ways.

ChocolateLeclaire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 03:47 PM
VikingKarlsson
Chomo

Quote:
Originally Posted by internetdotcom View Post
We don't have to tank to lose, we are effectively an AHL team playing in the NHL. Boys among men as it were. If we lose, it won't be from lack of effort, it will be from lack of talent wearing Ottawa Senators jerseys for the rest of the season.

A top pick in this draft, Spezza + EK + Cowen back next year, and a year more of experience among the young guys, and we could be ready to not only make the playoffs, but do damage once there next year.
This. As I stated before, Murray is not making trades he's bring up an ahl team to play the rest of the season out. The team will play hard every night, but scoring goals against NHL talent will be hard to do.

Everyone was worried of scoring goals with Spezza out of the line up... Well it won't be easier with Karlsson done for the season.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:48 PM
starling

Quote:
If we make playoffs this year it would most likely mean that someone of Silf, Zibby, DaCosta show solid first line potential - something they haven't shown so far. And that they have some great group of supporting players around. When Spezza, Cowen and Karlsson come back it would be a great team with bright future already without need of top-3 who could turn into Daigle anyway.

In any case, it's obvious that MacLean and players won't tank.
My point is that if I could look at final regular season standings right now I would be happier to see Sens 8th in the East than 3rd last in the league.

starling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 03:49 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
I like the opposite of this too. The New Jersey Devils two years ago were decimated by injuries and everyone wanted them to tank as they sat 2nd last in the league. The sumb!tches fought like crazy, won games they shouldn't have and just missed out on a playoff spot.

They then won the lottery and got to pick 4th instead of 8th. Hockey karma works both ways.
This is one of the best examples of hockey Karma I can think of. The other is the Steve Sullivan-ass fan incident years ago.

FolignoQuantumLeap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 03:53 PM
Do Make Say Think

vCash: 144
I was overseas for the first half of 2012 so I had to stream the playoffs before going to work while down under

I come back and there's a lockout

The lockout ends and now this

And now people want to tank?

If the team sucks the rest the way, the team sucks and that's just the way she goes. I think winning breeds winners however so I'd rather the team do well down the stretch: the team will manage to make the most of it's picks wether they be early or mid (they won't be late)

Do Make Say Think is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 03:54 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
This is one of the best examples of hockey Karma I can think of. The other is the Steve Sullivan-ass fan incident years ago.
That's two good posts today ... you're on a roll ...

Old
02-15-2013, 03:54 PM
Benny FTW
Tool Time Travel

vCash: 50
Tanking =/= not a good team due to injuries.

Benny FTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 04:09 PM
Quo
storms in my knees

I don't get the impression that Murray doesn't want to make a trade. He's said he made some calls. I think he'd very much like to do something but the partners so far are just trying to bleed him dry.

Quo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 04:28 PM
GimmeMyJetpack
Classless.

Either some of you need to stop jumping back on the bandwagon every single time you jump off or some of you need to relax and accept that horrible things happen to each team.

Murray is calling players up because Regin Michalek and Karlsson are out...thats 3 roster spots to make up.

Those of you who think he will make a trade that helps us this season make the playoffs are delusional. We do not need a short term fix, if we are going to trade it needs to be for the future.

Everyone and their pet hamsters picked us for last place (pretty much) last year and we still made the playoffs and almost beat NY.

HAVE FUN with this team...year 2 of the rebuild remember...Obviously most of you were not old enough to remember the 1992-1996 years.

GimmeMyJetpack is offline   Reply With Quote