HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Videogame Thread #3 (PSN/Gamertags/Steam): NHL 14 Trailer Released Today

Old
02-15-2013, 02:45 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by galvo View Post
Performance and power isn't everything, it's how you use it. Perfect example being 360 vs. PS3's graphics in terms of 3rd party games. Check out www.lensoftruth.com and browse some of the 3rd party comparisons. Hell, even the first party Sony games weren't that much better, if at all, than their Microsoft counterparts. And those first party games were designed on the PS3 from the ground up!

Triggers are variable where the R2/L2 buttons are static. Sony gave the PS3's dualshock controller variable R2/L2 buttons, but they aren't as accurate as the triggers found on the Xbox controllers.

If you find rumble to be gimmicky, then why don't you feel the same about Sixaxis? If anything, rumble is a passive feature that adds to the gameplay without feeling like it's forced down your throat, like Sixaxis motion commands.

I agree, the D-pad on the Xbox is absolute horse crap. Gamers who are into fighters will be quick to point out how crappy it is. Then again, gamers who are into fighters probably use a paddle/button combo.
I think Sixaxis is gimmicky but in the one game I played that used it, it was used well. That said Heavy Rain was a great game all around and one of the best I played. You trying to tell me that the graphics between a game like Uncharted vs Gears of War is similair or hardly better is laughable though. PS3 in every way shape and form has better hardware then the Xbox with the exception of memory which is an unfortunate oversight by Sony, they both have the same amount but the way its used is different. Games that are developed exclusively for the PS3 have significantly better graphics then anything the xbox can put out. However when desgned for both systems most third party developers don't take into account the flaws the PS3 has to properly take advantage of the systems capabilities. I agree with your stance on fighting games.

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 02:50 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

vCash: 500
On another note, Bungie and Activision's Baby "Destiny" information is supposedly going to be released this Sunday and preorders will be available soon. Their calling it the next franchise after Halo and COD....the billion dollar games.

Heres hoping its true. Need something fresh.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 03:14 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
On another note, Bungie and Activision's Baby "Destiny" information is supposedly going to be released this Sunday and preorders will be available soon. Their calling it the next franchise after Halo and COD....the billion dollar games.

Heres hoping its true. Need something fresh.
I probably still won't get it even though I like Bungie. Mainly because I really will not buy anything Activision again. Even if they may not really have a hand in it, I don't want Activision to have my money. Mainly because it would help fuel constant and similar other COD games that all feel and play the same for the next few years.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 03:21 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I probably still won't get it even though I like Bungie. Mainly because I really will not buy anything Activision again. Even if they may not really have a hand in it, I don't want Activision to have my money. Mainly because it would help fuel constant and similar other COD games that all feel and play the same for the next few years.
I agree in the sense of the Activision watering down the COD franchise. But I also look at it in a sense that if you owned a company that makes A TON of money by pretty much releasing the same thing every year (with some changes) wouldnt you do it also to make a killing? I would. That being said, if this new franchise is good (Ill start deciding that on Sunday) I'll take a shot at it. I have always played halo, its just something that my friends and I have always played. Something new by bungie that has a chance to be a dominate force and overtake the constant watering down of COD I like. Plus the first series is (usually) considered the best one by fans. Like Halo 1 and COD I thought were great.

Going to wait awhile before deciding between Orbit and Durango though. Just way too many unknowns at this point. Just sucks when Destiny and such games will be on Durango, while FF and the likes will be on Orbit.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:24 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
I agree in the sense of the Activision watering down the COD franchise. But I also look at it in a sense that if you owned a company that makes A TON of money by pretty much releasing the same thing every year (with some changes) wouldnt you do it also to make a killing? I would. That being said, if this new franchise is good (Ill start deciding that on Sunday) I'll take a shot at it. I have always played halo, its just something that my friends and I have always played. Something new by bungie that has a chance to be a dominate force and overtake the constant watering down of COD I like. Plus the first series is (usually) considered the best one by fans. Like Halo 1 and COD I thought were great.
If a new IP can overtake COD... I just don't think it can . Way too many people pay full price for COD even though it's literally been the same game since COD4. The only way that could happen is if Activision almost stopped marketing for COD and put out pretty much only marketing for Destiny.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:29 PM
Jray42

vCash: 91
I'll take pretty much anything over COD these days, so I hope this new game you guys are talking about does well.

It's a shame too, because I loved COD4, but have hated everything in that series since. I still maintain that MW1 is still better than the same **** they put out recently, even though they released COD4 5+ years ago.

Jray42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 03:30 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jray42 View Post
I'll take pretty much anything over COD these days, so I hope this new game you guys are talking about does well.

It's a shame too, because I loved COD4, but have hated everything in that series since. I still maintain that MW1 is still better than the same **** they put out recently, even though they released COD4 5+ years ago.
And it is. COD4 was ****ing awesome. Probably the best match I can think of I did best in was like 76-14 in TDM. I was also still playing CSS at the time too .

Old
02-15-2013, 03:31 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
If a new IP can overtake COD... I just don't think it can . Way too many people pay full price for COD even though it's literally been the same game since COD4. The only way that could happen is if Activision almost stopped marketing for COD and put out pretty much only marketing for Destiny.
I do think hype can be a big thing though. With the release of the new systems in December presumably, if they use Destiny as a "NEW on the XBOX 720 (or Durango, whatever the hell their calling it nowadays)", I THINK it has a chance to to take off. Overhyping something can either kill a franchise or make it stronger in a sense. Destiny is getting some major hype right now, due to the fact that creators of Halo and releasers of COD are working together on a single project.

Maybe this is just me hoping that it happens haha

Old
02-15-2013, 03:32 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
I do think hype can be a big thing though. With the release of the new systems in December presumably, if they use Destiny as a "NEW on the XBOX 720 (or Durango, whatever the hell their calling it nowadays)", I THINK it has a chance to to take off. Overhyping something can either kill a franchise or make it stronger in a sense. Destiny is getting some major hype right now, due to the fact that creators of Halo and releasers of COD are working together on a single project.

Maybe this is just me hoping that it happens haha
Is it really going to be a Durango-only game? That would be insanely lame though. But I don't think Activision would allow it. However, knowing Activision, they would do what they do with COD, allow all the DLC to be on the MS system for a month or more before anything else gets it.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:34 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Is it really going to be a Durango-only game? That would be insanely lame though. But I don't think Activision would allow it. However, knowing Activision, they would do what they do with COD, allow all the DLC to be on the MS system for a month or more before anything else gets it.
I swear I just read that it will be Durango only, but now I read on another site it will be for Orbit also. No idea anymore haha.

EDIT: Just read it will be released for 720 in 2013 and PS4 in 2014 according to random google articles.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:36 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
I swear I just read that it will be Durango only, but now I read on another site it will be for Orbit also. No idea anymore haha.
Honestly, considering how much hype is behind the PS4 right now (considering the 20th is so close now), I think it would be a BAD idea for Activision to make it only be for the Durango. Also considering how both consoles are supposed to be somewhat close in specs and architecture, it would also be pointless.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:39 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Honestly, considering how much hype is behind the PS4 right now (considering the 20th is so close now), I think it would be a BAD idea for Activision to make it only be for the Durango. Also considering how both consoles are supposed to be somewhat close in specs and architecture, it would also be pointless.
Well, people are saying it might be a timed thing:

http://www.oxm.co.uk/50182/bungies-t...ys-ps4-reveal/

Quote:
That date is 17th February - three days before the expected announcement of the PlayStation 4. Coincidence? Or have Activision and Microsoft conspired to whisk the carpet out from under Sony's feet?
It all depends on who has a contract with who. IF it is a Durango only game, it could be a game changer for Microsoft (in a sense)

Old
02-15-2013, 03:43 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Well, people are saying it might be a timed thing:

http://www.oxm.co.uk/50182/bungies-t...ys-ps4-reveal/

It all depends on who has a contract with who. IF it is a Durango only game, it could be a game changer for Microsoft (in a sense)
So MS might go the I'm-a-complete-********** route?

Even some of the comments thinks it's BS.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:58 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Few points that I won't quote to avoid quote spamming

I don't think the COD games have been the same game rereleased over and over again. MW 1 + 2 and WAW were great games. Since then, Activision has just milked the franchise while releasing games each year that get easier for new users to pick up and play without getting crushed.

As for bungie's game being xbox exclusive, it makes sense that Xbox would go to them about an exclusive game. Honestly, if it wasn't for Halo 2 and Halo 3, xbox live wouldn't be what it is now and I even think a higher up in Bungie came out and said something similar.

As for the next gen consoles, I'm fairly sure PS4 will crush the new xbox. Seems like now Sony is going for the hardcore gamers while Xbox is going the Wii route with a ton of gimmicky things like a new version of kinect and all the crap being attached to it. If Sony implements a cross game party chat like Xbox live, I think it's safe to say a lot of people will be jumping ship from Xbox to Playstation. Paying for live is also crap. With that same 60 or whatever dollars, I can get a year of PS+ and get a ton of free games.

Krishna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 04:23 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post

I don't think the COD games have been the same game rereleased over and over again. MW 1 + 2 and WAW were great games. Since then, Activision has just milked the franchise while releasing games each year that get easier for new users to pick up and play without getting crushed.

As for bungie's game being xbox exclusive, it makes sense that Xbox would go to them about an exclusive game. Honestly, if it wasn't for Halo 2 and Halo 3, xbox live wouldn't be what it is now and I even think a higher up in Bungie came out and said something similar.

As for the next gen consoles, I'm fairly sure PS4 will crush the new xbox. Seems like now Sony is going for the hardcore gamers while Xbox is going the Wii route with a ton of gimmicky things like a new version of kinect and all the crap being attached to it. If Sony implements a cross game party chat like Xbox live, I think it's safe to say a lot of people will be jumping ship from Xbox to Playstation. Paying for live is also crap. With that same 60 or whatever dollars, I can get a year of PS+ and get a ton of free games.
I agree with you here. The only thing that worries me is the games exclusively for the xbox compared to PS. PS seems to come out with alot of those animated games, which Im not biased against, just dont really enjoy playing them. I recently restarted to play my PS3 and noticed it right away. They dont have the same RPGs like 360 had (like Lost Odyssey for example) and overall their online feature (like friends list and such) is a lot more clunkier. If they fixed that and made it more user friendly (the avatar thing and such on 360 is stupid BUT it does allow for some online interaction in a sense) I think I'd be on board with Orbit. The new Orbit controller looks kinda stupid too with that touch screen. Not a big fan of that. For me, which companies are releasing what games exclusively will be a big thing in my decision.

Old
02-15-2013, 04:34 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
I agree with you here. The only thing that worries me is the games exclusively for the xbox compared to PS. PS seems to come out with alot of those animated games, which Im not biased against, just dont really enjoy playing them. I recently restarted to play my PS3 and noticed it right away. They dont have the same RPGs like 360 had (like Lost Odyssey for example) and overall their online feature (like friends list and such) is a lot more clunkier. If they fixed that and made it more user friendly (the avatar thing and such on 360 is stupid BUT it does allow for some online interaction in a sense) I think I'd be on board with Orbit. The new Orbit controller looks kinda stupid too with that touch screen. Not a big fan of that. For me, which companies are releasing what games exclusively will be a big thing in my decision.
Valkyria Chronicles, Demon's Souls, 3D Dot Game Heroes, Eternal Sonata (re-worked ending for the PS3), Disgaea 3 and 4, Yakuza 3 and 4, and it keeps going. Do you mean "dark" RPGs?

Old
02-15-2013, 04:36 PM
Krishna

All we need is fallout and elder scrolls

Old
02-15-2013, 04:40 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I actually don't care about Fallout 3 or New Vegas. I do like Skyrim though. Better than Oblivion and I did like Morrowind.

Old
02-15-2013, 04:51 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Valkyria Chronicles, Demon's Souls, 3D Dot Game Heroes, Eternal Sonata (re-worked ending for the PS3), Disgaea 3 and 4, Yakuza 3 and 4, and it keeps going. Do you mean "dark" RPGs?
Ya guess u can say that. Disgaea, eternal sonata and valk are anime games. Dont mind them but not my cup of tea. (Actually playing white knight right now. Not a bad game. Little corney at times but not bad)

Old
02-15-2013, 04:55 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Ya guess u can say that. Disgaea, eternal sonata and valk are anime games. Dont mind them but not my cup of tea.
I think since something doesn't look "real" shouldn't detract from a game being good or not. Lost Odyssey is the only game I can think of on the 360 that is like it. The guy who made it doesn't make games for the 360 anymore, I don't think. Actually, I looked it up, he was only the supervisor, lyrics and scenario for both Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon. He then went into full mode for making The Last Story for the Wii.

Old
02-15-2013, 05:10 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
I think since something doesn't look "real" shouldn't detract from a game being good or not. Lost Odyssey is the only game I can think of on the 360 that is like it. The guy who made it doesn't make games for the 360 anymore, I don't think. Actually, I looked it up, he was only the supervisor, lyrics and scenario for both Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon. He then went into full mode for making The Last Story for the Wii.
Eh, I guess its the graphics that get me. Their too "cartoonish" for me. Like I said, dont mind it, but I do take graphics into consideration. I know a lot of people dont like to hear that, but what can I say, its a part of how a judge a game. infinite Undiscovery was a decent game in that same mindset. The Fable series are more cartoonish but bring a more...mature/dark type of setting.

Old
02-15-2013, 05:10 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post

360's online service is tremendously better than PS's, because you pay for it. If you want to play older games online, you can on 360, whereas PS3 has likely shut the server down when a new version comes out. Easy way to put it: you get what you pay for.

Sony has a ways to go again before they blow anyone out of the water.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 05:45 PM
Jray42

vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
360's online service is tremendously better than PS's, because you pay for it. If you want to play older games online, you can on 360, whereas PS3 has likely shut the server down when a new version comes out. Easy way to put it: you get what you pay for.

Sony has a ways to go again before they blow anyone out of the water.
Yeah, I agree. I think LIVE is superior to PSN overall. My brother had a PS3, and the menu/interfaced sucked as compared to LIVE's, IMO. Not that that matters all that much, but still.

Jray42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 05:56 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jray42 View Post
Yeah, I agree. I think LIVE is superior to PSN overall. My brother had a PS3, and the menu/interfaced sucked as compared to LIVE's, IMO. Not that that matters all that much, but still.
Honestly, I find the XMB way less confusing than the 360's interface. But to each their own?

Old
02-15-2013, 06:11 PM
Krishna

Yeah, XMB is a lot less clunky and cluttered than the Live menu.

Also, the servers have gotten a ton better since the servers were taken down.

And it's the game devs that determine when they are taking a server for a game off.