Baseball MLB, NCAA, International

Yankees Cancel Stub Hub

Old
02-12-2013, 07:31 PM
Valrico Gold

vCash: 500
Yankees Cancel Stub Hub

Quote:
Although the Yankees cannot ban ticket buyers outright from using StubHub to resell tickets, they can make it far less convenient.
Quote:
With the StubHub link removed from Yankees.com, buyers will no longer be able to print StubHub Yankees tickets from home. The seller will have to send the tickets or give them to the buyer in person, said one source.
Quote:
A source close to the situation believes the Yankees might lift attendance by 5,000 a game by dumping StubHub. If the average fan pays $53 a ticket, that would amount to $21.5 million for the season.
Let me get this straight. The Yankees are stopping the resale of tickets through Stub Hub.
Tickets that the Yankees have already collected full price on.

The thinking is if you stop people from buying discount tickets, tickets the Yankees have already collected on, that they will buy tickets at full price????

I'll save my comments, as this incredibly greedy policy speaks for itself. I guess the Yankees don't mind a lot of empty seats.
You can't make this stuff up.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...2n9ms1faICUymJ

Valrico Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 10:03 PM
BPR*

Major League Baseball team acting greedy? Now I've seen everything.

BPR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 10:11 PM
PensFan68

I don't blame them, they struggle to make a profit every year. Makes sense.

For anyone unsure, this is sarcasm.

PensFan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 10:13 PM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

i think valrico just has google alerts for "yankees+bad+for+baseball".

robert terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 10:26 AM
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent

vCash: 50
I miss the old Yankee stadium.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:18 PM
JaysCyYoung

The one from the 1920s or the one from the 1970s?

JaysCyYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 10:04 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Say what you will about George Steinbrenner but he cared about his fans.

The sons didn't get that attribute

DEUTSCHLANDWELTMEISTER2014
Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 10:09 PM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

stub hub stinks.

robert terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:20 PM
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysCyYoung View Post
The one from the 1920s or the one from the 1970s?
1970's.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:49 PM
BPR*

Yeah, YSII didn't have nearly as much history as we liked to pretend it did, but it had atmosphere the current one can't touch. Playoff crowds in the new one seem to be about as lively as July night games seemed to be in the last one. I've been there twice and am not too concerned about when the third will come. Plus, there's the "hundreds of millions in public money used to build a stadium four years before the owners decided to punt consecutive seasons in the name of cost savings" vibe it has.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:51 PM
BPR*

I watched the entire 137 minutes of For Love of The Game recently because about a third of it was filmed in 1990s Yankee Stadium. I'm not insane I swear.

Old
02-14-2013, 07:04 AM
KH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim Charles View Post
Yeah, YSII didn't have nearly as much history as we liked to pretend it did, but it had atmosphere the current one can't touch. Playoff crowds in the new one seem to be about as lively as July night games seemed to be in the last one. I've been there twice and am not too concerned about when the third will come. Plus, there's the "hundreds of millions in public money used to build a stadium four years before the owners decided to punt consecutive seasons in the name of cost savings" vibe it has.
Aside from the huge financial rip-off that it represents, I don't have a problem with the new stadium. Personally I think that the crowd complaints are a little overblown (granted, I usually sit in the nosebleeds where the fans are rowdy no matter what,) and it's nice to be in a stadium with wide enough concourses that it doesn't take 45 minutes to get down from the upper deck.

KH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:23 AM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert terwilliger View Post
stub hub stinks.
It does if you don't know the regular prices for the tickets you're buying. I only use them when I'm actually getting a discount.

Clowe Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 07:40 PM
Valrico Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by KH1 View Post
Aside from the huge financial rip-off that it represents, I don't have a problem with the new stadium. Personally I think that the crowd complaints are a little overblown (granted, I usually sit in the nosebleeds where the fans are rowdy no matter what,) and it's nice to be in a stadium with wide enough concourses that it doesn't take 45 minutes to get down from the upper deck.
So, are you a season ticket holder, or did you use Stub Hub to buy tickets?

And if you did, what are your thoughts now?

There was a terrific discussion about it on the FAN yesterday representing both sides.

Certainly, the little guy gets screwed.
The season ticket holders complained that they needed a floor for resales.

Honestly, if the season ticket holders believe they'll be better off without Stub Hub, that more fans will pay face value, they will be greatly surprised.

I predict reality will set in, and the ban will eventually be lifted

Old
02-15-2013, 12:23 PM
KH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valrico Gold View Post
So, are you a season ticket holder, or did you use Stub Hub to buy tickets?

And if you did, what are your thoughts now?

There was a terrific discussion about it on the FAN yesterday representing both sides.

Certainly, the little guy gets screwed.
The season ticket holders complained that they needed a floor for resales.

Honestly, if the season ticket holders believe they'll be better off without Stub Hub, that more fans will pay face value, they will be greatly surprised.

I predict reality will set in, and the ban will eventually be lifted
I mainly used Stub Hub, so I'm not happy about the decision. Apparently StubHub is opening a store in the Bronx near Yankee Stadium so fans can still easily pick up tickets, but it's still a pain in the ass.

Old
02-15-2013, 01:29 PM
Valrico Gold

Quote:
I mainly used Stub Hub, so I'm not happy about the decision. Apparently StubHub is opening a store in the Bronx near Yankee Stadium so fans can still easily pick up tickets, but it's still a pain in the ass.
Yeah, I heard something like that.
The discussion brought out that tickets cannot legally be sold within 1,500 feet of the stadium. Approx 2 blocks.

I use Stub Hub all the time. Its great for the small time fan, even with the ridiculous fees.

You should make your feelings known to the Yankees. I just hope the Mets don't go the same direction, as I come in every summer, then use Stub Hub to get txxx at Citi.

Old
02-15-2013, 01:37 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Say what you will about George Steinbrenner but he cared about his fans.

The sons didn't get that attribute
The younger Steinbrenner's got George's business side, but not his love for the game or the team, it seems.

I don't know them personally, but their actions seem as though they care about the all-mighty buck more than they do being a dominate team year in and year out.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:41 PM
KH1

Quote:
Yeah, I heard something like that.
The discussion brought out that tickets cannot legally be sold within 1,500 feet of the stadium. Approx 2 blocks.

I use Stub Hub all the time. Its great for the small time fan, even with the ridiculous fees.

You should make your feelings known to the Yankees. I just hope the Mets don't go the same direction, as I come in every summer, then use Stub Hub to get txxx at Citi.
I suspect that the Mets, and most other teams will soon follow the Yankees' example. When one owner finds a new way to make money the rest usually aren't far behind, fans be damned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me
The younger Steinbrenner's got George's business side, but not his love for the game or the team, it seems.

I don't know them personally, but their actions seem as though they care about the all-mighty buck more than they do being a dominate team year in and year out.
I don't think that's fair, considering that the Yankees have won 3 division titles and a World Series in Hal's 4 years at the helm. And I also think that you're somewhat romanticizing The Boss, who never hesitated to squeeze fans for every penny.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:58 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:

I don't think that's fair, considering that the Yankees have won 3 division titles and a World Series in Hal's 4 years at the helm.
Mostly with guys that were acquired with George in control.

Quote:
And I also think that you're somewhat romanticizing The Boss, who never hesitated to squeeze fans for every penny.
He did, but, he also never hesitated to put money into the team if it meant them getting better.

Hal is paying the guys they have. He isn't pulling the carpet out from underneath like Loria. But, he isn't exactly going out there trying to acquire the best available talent at all costs, like his dad would.

Old
02-15-2013, 06:00 PM
KH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post

He did, but, he also never hesitated to put money into the team if it meant them getting better.

Hal is paying the guys they have. He isn't pulling the carpet out from underneath like Loria. But, he isn't exactly going out there trying to acquire the best available talent at all costs, like his dad would.
Fair enough. Personally I prefer Hal's approach of letting his baseball people do their jobs -- keep in mind that the foundation for George's success was built while he was suspended from baseball.

Old
02-15-2013, 08:16 PM
Valrico Gold

Quote:

Throwing $19,300,000 away this year on the luxury tax is not exactly taught in the Waren Buffett school of investing.
He's attempting to put an end to it. His hands are tied.

Old
02-16-2013, 12:30 AM
awfulwaffle

Good god, 19.3 million? They really pay that much in luxury tax? That's insane.

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 01:06 AM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Throwing $19,300,000 away this year on the luxury tax is not exactly taught in the Waren Buffett school of investing.
He's attempting to put an end to it. His hands are tied.
That money can easily be made up by advancing to the world series.

Steinbrenner's will never need to worry about money. 19.3 is nothing to them. They are smart business men, but they don't have the love for the team their dad did, imo.

Old
02-17-2013, 02:27 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Quote:
That money can easily be made up by advancing to the world series.

Steinbrenner's will never need to worry about money. 19.3 is nothing to them. They are smart business men, but they don't have the love for the team their dad did, imo.
As a Yankees fan, having seen their work up close, I couldn't agree more with this.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't think we've had as bad of an offseason as many people think. Shedding some power in favor of speed has given us a better balance. We still have plenty of power: Cano, Teixeira, Youkilis, Granderson. But now Gardner, Ichiro, and Nunez will play bigger roles giving the team more versatility.

That being said, they really ****ed up the catching position which was entirely money related. George would never leave a position bare to save a few million. And I'm not a huge fan of the self-imposed cap. Like I said, I like the less power, more speed direction, but if a player comes along that could help us get there it's gonna be a no-go. I would love have a guy like a Brian McCann that could fill the catching hole, or a Martin Prado that brings the little ball we need with some pop to boot. That's not gonna happen now because they've shackled themselves. The team is getting old. How do they expect to replace these players and shed salary too?

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote