HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Time to make Moves?? (Post trade proposals & rumors here)

Closed Thread

Old
02-15-2013, 12:50 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xECK29x View Post
Grabner in play....maybe for ROR?

@BDGallof

FEARLESS PREDICTION: If #isles make a trade up front @ forward, won't be Okposo, Bailey. Will be Michael Grabner. don't say i didn't warn u

The Fourth Period links the NYI to ROR, it would make sense, Garth and Cappy both view Nielson as a true 3C.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/buf130214.html
I don't know how to feel about Grabner for ROR. Hmmmm.....

02-15-2013, 12:51 PM
doublechili

Did anyone else catch on the NHL Network the other night someone, maybe Dreger, mentioning that Ottawa might be looking to move goalie Ben Bishop? I think he actually quoted GM Murray saying they might want to trade him just so he could have an opportunity to play and compete for a #1 job. Just throwing it out there. Of course I'm sure they'd want Streit or Vis....

Old
02-15-2013, 01:12 PM
redbull
game on

Quote:

@BDGallof

FEARLESS PREDICTION: If #isles make a trade up front @ forward, won't be Okposo, Bailey. Will be Michael Grabner. don't say i didn't warn u

The Fourth Period links the NYI to ROR, it would make sense, Garth and Cappy both view Nielson as a true 3C.

these are pointless rumours and speculation by wanna-be reporters not more informed than the generic HF poster - BUT, with that said, I'd deal Grabs for ROR in a heartbeat. O'Reilly is a MUCH better player, both offensively and far better defensively. Grabner's got explosive speed and has played better this year (except maybe the last 2-3 games) but that's an easy deal to make if I'm Snow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
Did anyone else catch on the NHL Network the other night someone, maybe Dreger, mentioning that Ottawa might be looking to move goalie Ben Bishop? I think he actually quoted GM Murray saying they might want to trade him just so he could have an opportunity to play and compete for a #1 job. Just throwing it out there. Of course I'm sure they'd want Streit or Vis....
I've heard that mentioned a few times. I haven't seen much of Bishop but is certainly well thought of, gigantic, I'd probably take a shot if the price is right. I imagine both Poulin and Nilsson (and Mikko) need more seasoning and it's not like DiPietro's knocking on the door for a starting job based on his play.

Old
02-15-2013, 01:21 PM
StrongIslanders90

ROR at 5mil+ is not great imo

Old
02-15-2013, 01:35 PM
MikeT98213

I love O'Reilly but agree that $5 mil is out of line with what he's accomplished thus far. If his salary demands weren't so high, I'd want Snow to get him and would make anyone available outside of JT and Hamonic available.

He's exactly what we need...a strong, young, two-way, shut down #2C with good (and developing) offensive potential. He would move Frans (unless he is part of the deal) to the 3rd line, where he'd be the ideal #3C and would inject the team with some additional leadership from a still very young player.

I'm tired of waiting for prospects to arrive. I'm not suggesting we send top prospects to Calgary for Iginla. Adding a proven young talent at the expense of a few "maybes" works for me and accelerates the "rebuild."

Old
02-15-2013, 02:35 PM
Riddick

if ror wants out of Colorado because he won't be captain, why would anyone think he would be ok not being captain here?

Old
02-15-2013, 02:37 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
ROR at 5mil+ is not great imo
Exactly, I don't see the Isles paying ROR that much, MAYBE 3.5 mill.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:07 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddick View Post
if ror wants out of Colorado because he won't be captain, why would anyone think he would be ok not being captain here?
I heard that too...What kind of baby gets mad at not being appointed Captain....
he's only 22 and Has been in the league three years...If he was 26+ and an all star he would have a bit more of a leg to stand on

Old
02-15-2013, 03:54 PM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

vCash: 50
Just some quips about O'Reilly I wanted to share from TSN & Cullen because I feel a lot are misinformed about O'Reilly and how good he really is;

Quote:
A few frames of reference for O'Reilly's early-career production:

First, he played more than 2500 minutes through his first two seasons. Since 2000, there have been six other forwards to play that much as 18 and 19-year-olds and it's pretty good company: Sidney Crosby, Steven Stamkos, Ilya Kovalchuk, Jordan Staal, Jeff Skinner and Sam Gagner.

I chose 65 points as a threshold because, in 2011-2012, that would have ranked among the top 15 NHL centres in scoring. (There are some players incorrectly cited as centres in that link.)

There is some notion out there that Ryan O'Reilly isn't a number one centre because he's not going to score 100 points. Let's be clear, there are less than a handful of 100-point centres in the league and two of them play in Pittsburgh. There are a handful more who might consistently score a point-per-game and, after that, there is a larger group, with more variance from year to year, that may put up between 55 and 75 points.

If O'Reilly falls into that group, given his defensive value and the consistently tough matchups he takes on, it's hard to imagine that he doesn't warrant the status of a No. 1 centre.

Maybe he's not a No. 1 centre in the Sidney Crosby or Steven Stamkos sense, but how about in the Patrice Bergeron or David Backes mold, productive offensive players who consistently face the opponent's best lines, start more shifts in the defensive zone and control 200 feet of ice?
Goes on;

Quote:
Taking a couple of reasonably-priced assets, maybe plus a draft pick for good measure, from any of the following might be enough to appeal to the Avalanche;

N.Y. Islanders (Josh Bailey, Kyle Okposo, Nino Niederreiter, Brock Nelson, Aaron Ness, Griffin Reinhart)
ROR would be a great #2 center. If we could trade say Bailey + KO/Nino + a 3rd for him and sign him for 4.75 per I'd do it. Can't speak for the rest of you, but I'd be ecstatic at the idea of JT-ROR-Frans as our 1-2-3 centers.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:54 PM
Bunk Moreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
I heard that too...What kind of baby gets mad at not being appointed Captain....
he's only 22 and Has been in the league three years...If he was 26+ and an all star he would have a bit more of a leg to stand on
The whole not being named Captain is a bit of a stretch and the media is kind of twisting it to make it seem like he's being a baby.. But if you read the original article in the Denver post it's pretty minor, to me at least, and doesn't deserve the headlines its gotten:

Quote:
There were other factors in the marriage going bad. Many who know O'Reilly believe he was hurt when the Avs didn't offer him the captaincy last summer, that he thought he was going to get it. Did the Avs withhold the "C" when the contract talks didn't go the way they wanted with O'Reilly? Some believe this issue contributed to things deteriorating.

Should O'Reilly have swallowed his pride and not taken that personally? Perhaps, but the same thing can be said about the Avs. No way do I think O'Reilly's camp would have played such hardball if he'd been named captain.
O'Reilly felt they were going to name him captain and when the contract situation went to crap they didn't... Also it says its the authors opinion, no facts or quotes or any evidence, that he would have settled for less if he was named captain. It could be spun either way really.

http://www.denverpost.com/lunchspeci...oreilly-is-one

Old
02-15-2013, 04:41 PM
kasper11

Why do people think we would be adding O'Reilly at $5.5M? Wang isn't going to spend any more money and who would we ship out that is equal salary (that Colorado would want)?

Old
02-15-2013, 04:45 PM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
Why do people think we would be adding O'Reilly at $5.5M? Wang isn't going to spend any more money and who would we ship out that is equal salary (that Colorado would want)?
Top 6 Wingers. Okposo, Grabner, Nino come to mind. They could use a replacement #2 center. Brock Nelson comes to mind. There's tons of pieces we have that could make it work if the Isles were serious to pursue O'Reilly.

Old
02-15-2013, 04:56 PM
Bunk Moreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlo Stanfield View Post
Top 6 Wingers. Okposo, Grabner, Nino come to mind. They could use a replacement #2 center. Brock Nelson comes to mind. There's tons of pieces we have that could make it work if the Isles were serious to pursue O'Reilly.
I agree.. I think the Islanders match up pretty well with the Av's but I don't think they'll get it done and I'm not 100% if it's worth it or not.

Old
02-15-2013, 04:57 PM
Veteran journeyman

Why is everyone so ga ga over O'Reilly? I mean, I get it, he'd be an asset, but I'm not sure I'd trade Grabner for him even if he wasn't holding out for crazy money and even if he hadn't threatened to bolt to another league (I'll clarify...not "bolting" to another league, but attempting to leverage another league for a contract). Factor all that in, and it's a no-brainer for me. No thanks. I understand it's not all about goals, but in Grabner's "off" year last season he had more goals than ROR had in the season that makes him think he's worth $5m/year.

I think we highly undervalue what a huge asset Grabner's speed is too, and we definitely don't appreciate how good he is at picking off passes and throwing other teams off-balance. He brings a rare skill-set, and he still has plenty of room to improve. If anything, the Isles should plan around his speed more than just on the PK, rather than banishing him to a line with Aucoin and Boulton. Frankly, I'd move Moulson before Grabner.

Last edited by Veteran journeyman: 02-15-2013 at 05:00 PM. Reason: clarification
Old
02-15-2013, 05:03 PM
Bunk Moreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veteran journeyman View Post
Why is everyone so ga ga over O'Reilly? I mean, I get it, he'd be an asset, but I'm not sure I'd trade Grabner for him even if he wasn't holding out for crazy money and even if he hadn't threatened to bolt to another league. Factor all that in, and it's a no-brainer for me. No thanks. I understand it's not all about goals, but in Grabner's "off" year last season he had more goals than ROR had in the season that makes him think he's worth $5m/year.

I think we highly undervalue what a huge asset Grabner's speed is too, and we definitely don't appreciate how good he is at picking off passes and throwing other teams off-balance. He brings a rare skill-set, and he still has plenty of room to improve. If anything, the Isles should plan around his speed more than just on the PK, rather than banishing him to a line with Aucoin and Boulton. Frankly, I'd move Moulson before Grabner.
Everyone isn't necessarily gaga over ROR.. Your seeing a lot of posts in here about him because it's been reported he's available and it looks like it's inevitable he'll be traded. He's young, is a solid player and is coming off a big year so a lot of people are going to be interested in trading for someone like that. It's no different than last year when Bobby Ryan was available there was tons of chatter about him.

Old
02-15-2013, 05:05 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:

@BDGallof

According to an interview on NHL radio, Avs are looking for a Top4 D-Man...like everyone else.

Old
02-15-2013, 05:14 PM
Beastrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlo Stanfield View Post
Just some quips about O'Reilly I wanted to share from TSN & Cullen because I feel a lot are misinformed about O'Reilly and how good he really is;

Goes on;

ROR would be a great #2 center. If we could trade say Bailey + KO/Nino + a 3rd for him and sign him for 4.75 per I'd do it. Can't speak for the rest of you, but I'd be ecstatic at the idea of JT-ROR-Frans as our 1-2-3 centers.
The only 2 of those players i could see the islanders trade is KO and Ness which isn't enough to get it done. I would offer KO and Donavan and a 3rd. Im not saying this will get it done, but I dont see the islanders giveing up on any of there other first round picks.

Old
02-15-2013, 05:42 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
I bet if ROR said he would be ok with a back loaded deal Garth would be making a pitch for him.

Old
02-15-2013, 05:47 PM
Islanderfan17

Personally wouldn't want Grabner to be traded for ROR, Grabner is a rare weapon in the league. His breakout speed is unmatched and he is guaranteed to get some prime scoring opportunities pretty much every game. On top of that he has looked really solid this season. I'd be all for moving any of Okposo/Nino/Streit for ROR though.

Old
02-15-2013, 05:55 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
If they wanted Nielsen in return, would you do it?

Old
02-15-2013, 06:04 PM
Islanderfan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
No, Nielsen is a very important part of this team and he comes at a good price and a good term. He is probably our most important support/roleplayer on the team IMO.

Old
02-15-2013, 06:26 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
I would. I'd do it for Nielsen and a piece.

It's easier to find a capable 3C than a 2C.

Old
02-15-2013, 06:34 PM
xECK29x

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
According to an interview on NHL radio, Avs are looking for a Top4 D-Man...like everyone else.
Streit for ROR? I wish

Old
02-15-2013, 06:37 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

As much as I love Frans, I'd let him go for ROR. Hell I'd even throw in Kabanov.

JT
ROR
Nelson

Nice C depth right there.

Old
02-15-2013, 06:42 PM
thedonger

Quote:
I'd have to think long and hard about it, but ultimately I think I would. That's only because I feel really confident that Cizikas is developing into a potentially solid 3C. So in the end, we get a solid proven upgrade for 2C and gives us a lot of options with Nelson/Strome.

I love Fransie to death, but let's be honest, a solid 2C is much more valuable in this league than a good 3C.

Closed Thread