HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Who could cause damage in the playoffs?

Old
02-15-2013, 08:12 AM
Montreal Shadow

vCash: 500
Who could cause damage in the playoffs?

Team is sitting at the 5th place now. Wouldn't surprised me one bit if they finish in the top 5 given how some of the usual top teams have crumbled. The playoffs are definitely a possibility and a deep run isn't out of the question. Looking at the roster, one wonders one thing though.

Who has the ability to cause some serious damage to other teams in the playoffs? In the 2010 deep run, it was Halak playing lights out and Cammalleri playing to the best of his abilities. Looking at what's on the table now, I don't see such a potential. Sure, Price could maybe play even better than Halak but what's up front? From what I'm seeing, none of the guys currently on the team are known to elevate their game comes the post-season. In my opinion, out of everybody on the squad, Subban has been the best playoffs performers the past few years. Gionta is the most experienced playoffs player. Unless Galchenyuk or Gallagher cause a huge surprise and start going on a tear, the post-season could prove very difficult early, assuming Montreal makes it of course. Andrei Markov, widely regarded as the best skater on the team as been rather underwhelming every time he's appeared in the playoffs. I'm not sure we should expect much better from him at this point in his career. Same for Plekanec. Erik Cole has some experience under his belt but he was injured for Carolina's cup run.

That's pretty much all the experience worth talking about we got on our hands. Needless to say, it is a bit of a grim picture. Desharnais, Bourque, Eller, Pacioretty, Diaz, Emelin, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, all these guys have close to 0 experience in the post-season. I never really thought of that but that's a bit worrisome.

Let us pray some of the young guns wake up comes crunch time and take it to the next level. Or let us pray Subban starts playing like Chelios.

Would it be a good idea to acquire some experience via trade?

Montreal Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 08:28 AM
TennisMenace

Apart from Price standing on his head, I don't think we have what it takes up front to win a physical best of seven series against the big boys, but Price can steal us some games, so who knows?

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 02:07 PM
dkdanielkli
GO HABS GO

vCash: 204
Send a message via Skype™ to dkdanielkli
In Eric Cole we trust !! Now being serious for a second, the team will crush under the pressure of playing 7 games with teams like the Bruins.

dkdanielkli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 02:09 PM
coolasprICE

We are way too soft to cause damage.

Imagine what would happen if we play the Leafs and get swept 4 straight

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 02:18 PM
11Goat11
Inside her

Actually I think this team might fair well in the playoffs. The second season is made for guys like Moen, Bourque, Prust, Armstrong, Cole, and Patches. The Habs are not the smurfs anymore even though many of their top players are smaller.

11Goat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 02:23 PM
Toshio
#FireTherrien

Wait, Erik Cole didnt play during their stanley cup final vs oilers? All 7 games?

On topic, I know Subban, Markov, Gorges (if he's not paired with diaz), Gionta, Pleks will show up.

Oh, Dominic Moore is a free agent. Very good at faceoffs and could just be the 4th line centre this team needs. But I guess the management is just waiting for Nokelainen to get healthy.

Toshio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 02:47 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

I dont see this team making much noise in the playoffs, if they make it.

I think our current style of play leaves us exposed against some of the faster teams in the league. Guys like Emelin and markov seem to get overwhelmed against speed, and we have no choice but to give them valuable minutes.

Assuming Cole and pacioretty get it together, and the matchup is right (a team that doesn't burn you off the rush), then the habs could pull something out, but I think most teams are quite proficient at it.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 02:51 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkdanielkli View Post
In Eric Cole we trust !! Now being serious for a second, the team will crush under the pressure of playing 7 games with teams like the Bruins.
A couple of years ago the Bruins were flghting for survival against the Habs and barely stayed alive in the 7th game. And if the Habs had had a full team they probably would have eliminated them.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 02:52 PM
Adriatic

Only studs ready for playoff wars are Price, Subban...all the others are followers!

Adriatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 03:02 PM
ChoseLa

Unless Bergevin upgrade this defence there is no way we can play at the pace that PO commands.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 03:17 PM
Frankenheimer

Prust played well for the Rangers last year. We definitely need more grinders. I'm thinking of what Beagle did for Washington last season, not a great player, but tough as nails and was getting a lot of ice time. Definitely don't feel confident with current lineup.

I don't know what formula NJ uses, but they're an impressive organization that can go through coaches and players yet retain an identity. That's the identity we need right now. Playoff tough. That stretch in the third last night when Florida was dominating 5 on 5 was scary. Just no toughness.

Frankenheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 03:18 PM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

I think we need a defenseman to place Bouillon. But we have a pretty damn good team. I picked us for the playoffs (6th) before the season started and I stand by that. I see no reason this team can't make the playoffs and even go deep.

Hawkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 03:21 PM
PricePkPatch

For the little time Desharnais played in the playoffs, I've seen him clutch it impressively. He made Gomez look good, FFS.

And then he got injured. I personally think Game 7 would have been different had he played in it.

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 03:29 PM
bigtimehockeyfan999

We're gonna cause damage in the playoffs and any one who thinks otherwise:

gooo on!!

we got the best goalie in the world, markov healthy...subban progressing quickly...and offence coming from places we didn;t expect it to...imagine when we start getting it from the guys who should be scoring...we're 1 point back of the division lead and we got a crew of vets who can step it up in the post season especially in a short season like this.....this is a wildcard year. i know we're still relatively small but guess what....we don't have to play 82 games grinding it out this time around.....**** is going to be off the rails this year.....parity is the name of the game....u guys are gonna be surprised this year....your gonna be surprised....im calling it now....im saying it with confidence....we're still in need of many pieces for the long term...but in the short term we have so many good pieces in place. we can do this ****

bigtimehockeyfan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 03:51 PM
TennisMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtimehockeyfan999 View Post
We're gonna cause damage in the playoffs and any one who thinks otherwise:

gooo on!!

we got the best goalie in the world, markov healthy...subban progressing quickly...and offence coming from places we didn;t expect it to...imagine when we start getting it from the guys who should be scoring...we're 1 point back of the division lead and we got a crew of vets who can step it up in the post season especially in a short season like this.....this is a wildcard year. i know we're still relatively small but guess what....we don't have to play 82 games grinding it out this time around.....**** is going to be off the rails this year.....parity is the name of the game....u guys are gonna be surprised this year....your gonna be surprised....im calling it now....im saying it with confidence....we're still in need of many pieces for the long term...but in the short term we have so many good pieces in place. we can do this ****
Love the enthusiasm but until we beat the Leafs or Bruins, I'm still dubious.

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 03:54 PM
compile

vCash: 611
DD is going to create some damage in the playoffs. You know because he excels at every aspect of the game.

I heard he can fight too.

compile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 03:55 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisMenace View Post
Love the enthusiasm but until we beat the Leafs or Bruins, I'm still dubious.
I don't doubt we'll bounce from our defeats to these clubs. Leafs were just bad timing; bad games.

We played hard as hell against the Bruins; Rask had an incredibly lucky night.

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 03:56 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisMenace View Post
Apart from Price standing on his head, I don't think we have what it takes up front to win a physical best of seven series against the big boys, but Price can steal us some games, so who knows?
Don't forget Subban who was possibly the best player in the whole Canadiens vs. Bruins playoffs series on both teams, even better than Price who had better stats than TT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriatic View Post
Only studs ready for playoff wars are Price, Subban...all the others are followers!
^^

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 04:05 PM
compile

vCash: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
I think we need a defenseman to place Bouillon. But we have a pretty damn good team. I picked us for the playoffs (6th) before the season started and I stand by that. I see no reason this team can't make the playoffs and even go deep.
That is exactly what the Habs need, well 1 of them.

With having such a fantastic goalie, I honestly don't understand why they don't have a big 6'2+ 220lb+ dman back there that will fight.

I miss Souray, at least no one would touch our keeper.

compile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 04:07 PM
Mrb1p

Wow, this thread is so sad...

We all know we have playoffs performers that could put us over the top and MANY players that are made for the playoffs.

Think Subban, Gorges, Price, Cole, Patches... The team is full of intense players and we don't have many floaters a la Cammy and Kovy... And we have many players that can take over games like Patches and Chuck who could be dominant in any given game. I think we could go far if we hit the playoffs and we get one easy opponent so we can build confidence.

We have to get in first though. I really can't wait to get back in the playoff

Mrb1p is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 04:08 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by compile View Post
That is exactly what the Habs need, well 1 of them.

With having such a fantastic goalie, I honestly don't understand why they don't have a big 6'2+ 220lb+ dman back there that will fight.

I miss Souray, at least no one would touch our keeper.
But damn would he see some rubber

Old
02-15-2013, 04:29 PM
habtastic

Every day is a crapshoot and as much as I like our team, sometimes things just don't go according to plan. We are sitting in 5th cuz of a string of 4 win against some teams that weren't very good. When the going gets tough, if we get through the next quarter of the season and are in the same place -- then I will agree that we could do some damage. I am still hoping/expecting 8th, but there are a lot of good teams in the East that could push us out including Toronto (wouldn't that just be the cherry!) so until we beat the rangers, philly and pens (not necessarily consecutively), I won't be entirely convinced that it doesn't only rest on a Vezina Price.

If Cole-DD-Patch get it together, I think we could do damage. That was a line that was going so well against every team last season that had we made the playoffs I would have picked them to do damage. Pleks is IMO always a big threat to the other team all around the ice. Looks like he's having a great season so far. And, aside from Price (which is just so obvious), the one-two punch of Markov-Subban could be a big factor.

Love that we have Prust for potential playoffs and let's just see where Eller ends up in terms of TOI by the end of the season. He really could light it up if he gets the right linemates.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 04:58 PM
Treb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post

We all know we have playoffs performers that could put us over the top and MANY players that are made for the playoffs.

Think Subban, Gorges, Price, Cole, Patches... The team is full of intense players and we don't have many floaters a la Cammy and Kovy... And we have many players that can take over games like Patches and Chuck who could be dominant in any given game. I think we could go far if we hit the playoffs and we get one easy opponent so we can build confidence.

Ever watched playoff Cammy play?

Treb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 05:00 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post

They carried us in the playoffs.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 05:07 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treb View Post
Ever watched playoff Cammy play?
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
They carried us in the playoffs.
This is true. But you still get my point... and I know you do.