HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD 2013 - Draft Thread III

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-15-2013, 02:50 PM
  #976
Rob Scuderi
Registered User
 
Rob Scuderi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 2,598
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrander87 View Post
If you are going to use my words, at least use them how I said it. I said Rousseaus offense was underrated compared to players drafted around him *Hence the Gare comparison*

What makes him less capable then: Gillies, Walker, Gare, Armstrong, Phillips, Mohns etc... etc..
This is exactly how I'd try to frame it if I were trying to sell Rousseau's offensive ability. Assuming Phillips is Tommy, I think he's the only one who is clearly better offensively. Mohns is tricky because of his years playing defense.

Rob Scuderi is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 02:51 PM
  #977
markrander87
Registered User
 
markrander87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,573
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
On a normal team, yes he is. Like you, we're using our 1st line as our checking line. Jack Walker in an excellent fit in that situation.
100% agreed, it's a shame some gm's are so set in the well line 3 has to be your defensive line etc..

markrander87 is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 02:55 PM
  #978
markrander87
Registered User
 
markrander87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,573
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back Scuderi View Post
This is exactly how I'd try to frame it if I were trying to sell Rousseau's offensive ability. Assuming Phillips is Tommy, I think he's the only one who is clearly better offensively. Mohns is tricky because of his years playing defense.
Not to mention all of the one dimensional offensive players who are slightly better offensively but way less effective defensively.

markrander87 is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 02:58 PM
  #979
Dreakmur
Registered User
 
Dreakmur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Orillia, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,768
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrander87 View Post
100% agreed, it's a shame some gm's are so set in the well line 3 has to be your defensive line etc..
As I said long ago, when you got criticized for taking Sedin as your 3rd line center, there's nothing wrong with your strategy. It makes theoretical sense to me, and we'll see how you put it all together.

Having said that, I'm not sure how much I'm sold on the defensive abilities of your 1st line. I don't see any liablities or anything, but I just don't see much shut-down ability. Maybe I'm under-rating the defense of Kennedy and Lindsay... so if they are great, show me.

Dreakmur is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 03:21 PM
  #980
nik jr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: Congo-Kinshasa
Posts: 10,526
vCash: 500
UAF selects D Mike Ramsey.

one of the best defensive d-men of the '80s and early '90s
voted best defensive d-man by NHLers in a '90 poll
played for NHL all stars in rendevous '87
played for US in '84 and '87 canada cups
played for US '80 gold medal team
played in 4 all star games


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
You don't think playing in the clutch and cuddle era helped slow-footed bruisers like Hatcher? You think he'd have done as well in the 70's or 80's? I do not.
i think hatcher would not have done as well, but hatcher's lack of speed would be offset somewhat by the slower speed due to longer shifts. difference in defensive structure would also hurt hatcher, imo.

hatcher's knee injury early in '04 also made him really slow, and made his adjustment to post-lockout conditions harder.

nik jr is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 03:23 PM
  #981
BraveCanadian
Registered User
 
BraveCanadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,321
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nik jr View Post
UAF selects D Mike Ramsey.
Really like him and had trouble not drafting him last pick and would have had more trouble not drafting him in my upcoming pick haha

BraveCanadian is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 03:28 PM
  #982
markrander87
Registered User
 
markrander87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,573
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
As I said long ago, when you got criticized for taking Sedin as your 3rd line center, there's nothing wrong with your strategy. It makes theoretical sense to me, and we'll see how you put it all together.

Having said that, I'm not sure how much I'm sold on the defensive abilities of your 1st line. I don't see any liablities or anything, but I just don't see much shut-down ability. Maybe I'm under-rating the defense of Kennedy and Lindsay... so if they are great, show me.
I'm quite surprised you need some convincing with Kennedy. That's fine though I will have lot's to show with him (heading out now)

Of course one thing that I will not be able to find in a newspaper clipping or through statistics is the concept of when a team doesn't have the puck they cannot score. A good offense is also a very effective way of shutting down top lines.

A Lindsay, Kennedy cycle down low will force these top lines in to playing more in their own zone.

markrander87 is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 03:29 PM
  #983
BubbaBoot
Registered User
 
BubbaBoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Mission Hill
Country: Wallis & Futuna
Posts: 10,982
vCash: 500
The Boston Mules select Ralph Backstrom / CTR.


BubbaBoot is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 03:29 PM
  #984
markrander87
Registered User
 
markrander87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,573
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nik jr View Post
UAF selects D Mike Ramsey.


hatcher's knee injury early in '04 also made him really slow, and made his adjustment to post-lockout conditions harder.
And there goes the 3rd member of that list, great pick.

markrander87 is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 03:32 PM
  #985
Hawkey Town 18
Moderator
 
Hawkey Town 18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 4,138
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaBoot View Post
The Boston Mules select Ralph Backstrom / CTR.

Pulford - Backstrom - Provost...that is quite the shutdown line


EDIT: And a little scoring threat as well

Hawkey Town 18 is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 03:32 PM
  #986
BubbaBoot
Registered User
 
BubbaBoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Mission Hill
Country: Wallis & Futuna
Posts: 10,982
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrander87 View Post
And there goes the 3rd member of that list, great pick.
I sweated 36 picks for this......I am really happy.

ck26 has been PMed.

BubbaBoot is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 03:33 PM
  #987
BubbaBoot
Registered User
 
BubbaBoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Mission Hill
Country: Wallis & Futuna
Posts: 10,982
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey Town 18 View Post
Pulford - Backstrom - Provost...that is quite the shutdown line
Funny, in all of the profiles of read they're described as being good offensively but sacrificed the numbers for the good of the team

BubbaBoot is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 03:34 PM
  #988
Dreakmur
Registered User
 
Dreakmur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Orillia, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,768
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrander87 View Post
I'm quite surprised you need some convincing with Kennedy. That's fine though I will have lot's to show with him (heading out now)
I know Kennedy is solid defensively, but I think he needs to be more than that. Maybe he is, and we'll see

Dreakmur is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 03:37 PM
  #989
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 37,797
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
I know Kennedy is solid defensively, but I think he needs to be more than that. Maybe he is, and we'll see
I think Kennedy was the top defensive center of the 40s dynasty. I mean, who else would it have been? It sure wasn't Syl Apps or Max Bentley...heh. Kennedy was definitely the best faceoff man of his era, and arguably all-time, which does have quite a bit of defensive value. I agree Kennedy is the key there though, because from what I gather, Lindsay and Rousseau are both good, but not great, defensively.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 03:37 PM
  #990
markrander87
Registered User
 
markrander87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,573
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
I know Kennedy is solid defensively, but I think he needs to be more than that. Maybe he is, and we'll see
Just because I have the article open, Kennedy was also known as the best faceoff man in his era...

Quote:
Hall of Fame coach Scotty Bowman tells the story of being a young junior coach, and inviting NHL player Teeder Kennedy to school his players on winning face-offs. Recalls Bowman: "He said they will be all right they just aren't cheating enough."
*list in article*

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...faceoffs_x.htm

markrander87 is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 03:38 PM
  #991
Nalyd Psycho
Registered User
 
Nalyd Psycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: No Bandwagon
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,717
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
You don't think playing in the clutch and cuddle era helped slow-footed bruisers like Hatcher? You think he'd have done as well in the 70's or 80's? I do not.
1. Hatcher wasn't particular slow in his prime. This is often forgotten because of what injuries did to his knees.
2. He may have been better in past eras when his skills were more unique. His game is quite similar to Ching Johnson for example.

__________________
Every post comes with the Nalyd Psycho Seal of Approval.
Nalyd Psycho is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 03:41 PM
  #992
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 37,797
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
1. Hatcher wasn't particular slow in his prime. This is often forgotten because of what injuries did to his knees.
2. He may have been better in past eras when his skills were more unique. His game is quite similar to Ching Johnson for example.
Johnson was a decent skater apparently, but I agree that while Hatcher was fairly slow, but wasn't THAT slow in his prime.

But the idea that "clutch and grab" only happened in the 90s is bizarre. Read every profile of the Gold Dust twins - they talk about how they made clutch and grab an art form.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 03:42 PM
  #993
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 37,797
vCash: 500
We're about ready for a new thread, by the way.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 03:49 PM
  #994
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos
 
Sturminator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: West Egg, New York
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 7,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
1. Hatcher wasn't particular slow in his prime. This is often forgotten because of what injuries did to his knees.
2. He may have been better in past eras when his skills were more unique. His game is quite similar to Ching Johnson for example.
Ching Johnson's prime was spent entirely in the era when many defensemen (at least the defensive types) hardly came past their own blueline. I have recently uncovered some information on this style of play and the shift away from it which I will reveal when the relevant players/coaches have been drafted. To be honest, I wonder whether or not Johnson was also somewhat helped hy his era.

Sturminator is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 03:52 PM
  #995
Nalyd Psycho
Registered User
 
Nalyd Psycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: No Bandwagon
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,717
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
Ching Johnson's prime was spent entirely in the era when many defensemen (at least the defensive types) hardly came past their own blueline. I have recently uncovered some information on this style of play and the shift away from it which I will reveal when the relevant players/coaches have been drafted. To be honest, I wonder whether or not Johnson was also somewhat helped hy his era.
Isn't that really coach specific? From what I can gather, Ottawa and Vancouver most certainly did not restrain defencemen like that, and players like Joe Simpson, Eddie Shore and King Clancy were not so restrained.

Nalyd Psycho is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 03:53 PM
  #996
Dreakmur
Registered User
 
Dreakmur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Orillia, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,768
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I think Kennedy was the top defensive center of the 40s dynasty. I mean, who else would it have been? It sure wasn't Syl Apps or Max Bentley...heh. Kennedy was definitely the best faceoff man of his era, and arguably all-time, which does have quite a bit of defensive value. I agree Kennedy is the key there though, because from what I gather, Lindsay and Rousseau are both good, but not great, defensively.
Being the best defensive player on your on team isn't necessarily an indication of elite defensive play. Neither Apps not Bentley were even average defensively, so it's hardly an accompishment to be better than them.

Dreakmur is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 03:55 PM
  #997
Nalyd Psycho
Registered User
 
Nalyd Psycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: No Bandwagon
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,717
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I think Kennedy was the top defensive center of the 40s dynasty. I mean, who else would it have been? It sure wasn't Syl Apps or Max Bentley...heh. Kennedy was definitely the best faceoff man of his era, and arguably all-time, which does have quite a bit of defensive value. I agree Kennedy is the key there though, because from what I gather, Lindsay and Rousseau are both good, but not great, defensively.
But weren't the Dynasty Leafs a very historically unique build for a team? One of the key differences is that centres were not the key defensive forwards, they were the key offensive forwards though. They frequently placed shutdown wingers with skilled scoring centres.

Nalyd Psycho is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 03:56 PM
  #998
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos
 
Sturminator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: West Egg, New York
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 7,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Johnson was a decent skater apparently, but I agree that while Hatcher was fairly slow, but wasn't THAT slow in his prime.

But the idea that "clutch and grab" only happened in the 90s is bizarre. Read every profile of the Gold Dust twins - they talk about how they made clutch and grab an art form.
The coach of that Leafs team evidently did during his playing career, as well, so yes, it is nothing new. That Toronto dynasty, however, was built on the same rules that applied for many years in the NHL. Between the lockouts hockey sort of exists in its own wierd universe where the rules, or at least their enforcement, are not entirely contiguous with the eras immediately before and after it. Hatcher (and much lesser plugger-types like Scott Hannan) was arguably the biggest beneficiary of the C&G rules constellation such as it was.

I'm not saying Derian would have been an AHLer in Schoenfeld's day, but it would have been harder for him to shine out of that era and off of that team. His actual career occured in a perfect storm of circumstances for a defensive defenseman of his ilk.

Sturminator is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 03:59 PM
  #999
Nalyd Psycho
Registered User
 
Nalyd Psycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: No Bandwagon
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,717
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
The coach of that Leafs team evidently did during his playing career, as well, so yes, it is nothing new. That Toronto dynasty, however, was built on the same rules that applied for many years in the NHL. Between the lockouts hockey sort of exists in its own wierd universe where the rules, or at least their enforcement, are not entirely contiguous with the eras immediately before and after it. Hatcher (and much lesser plugger-types like Scott Hannan) was arguably the biggest beneficiary of the C&G rules constellation such as it was.

I'm not saying Derian would have been an AHLer in Schoenfeld's day, but it would have been harder for him to shine out of that era and off of that team. His actual career occured in a perfect storm of circumstances for a defensive defenseman of his ilk.
I disagree because Hatcher had a lot more to his game, it just happened that he fit the era perfectly so he used that to his benefit, but his skills transfer to any era because he had a lot more to his game. Where as someone like Chris Therien was a big beneficiary because he became a sought after commodity, while in any other era he would have been a plug.

Nalyd Psycho is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 04:03 PM
  #1000
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos
 
Sturminator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: West Egg, New York
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 7,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
Isn't that really coach specific? From what I can gather, Ottawa and Vancouver most certainly did not restrain defencemen like that, and players like Joe Simpson, Eddie Shore and King Clancy were not so restrained.
I think it was more specific defensive players who were given more latitude in the attack. The way forwards checked was also somewhat peculiar by modern standards. Ottawa is the only system that regularly involved attacking defensemen as far as I know, but that may have been more a product of Frank Nighbor's genius than any grand strategic formula.

We can have a more meaningful discussion about these themes in a few rounds.

Sturminator is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:05 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.