HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bills Off-Season 2013 Style (Wilson, Barnett, McGee released, T Jackson re-signed)

Closed Thread

Old
02-15-2013, 02:42 PM
Takeo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
When has Nix spoken to the media and said anything completely 180 from his intentions? He talked about adding a waterbug RB. He talked about strengthening the defense. He poo-pooed the 2012 DE class. Almost everything he says has some indication as to where the team is actually going.

Smith makes $8.5 million in 2013. Think that Smith doesn't have a say? Which team is taking that on? If SF wants to trade him to Jacksonville, all he has to do to block the deal is have his agent say he refused to restructure. No team is taking on that contract without thinking he's the starter. So, Smith can play into where he goes.

Geno Smith and Mike Glennon have elite tools but aren't ready to play in 2014... agree. So we shouldn't draft them? You've got a 2013 mindset on how to build the team.
I agree that Nix has been candid with the media in the past. But his stated intention to draft a QB can change when/if a player like Smith becomes available or as the asking price is determined. Again, a fluid situation.

I'm not sure what you mean with the "mindset" thing. My point is that the Bills need to upgrade the QB position, but that doesn't mean they MUST draft one this year. I'd prefer to trade a mid-round pick for Smith, invest the top 2-3 picks in the defense/WR, and draft a "QB of the future" sometime in the next 2 years from a (presumably) better draft class. I'm just not impressed with this year's prospects and don't want them to settle by forced hand.

I also think you're overstating Smith's leverage. The guy wants to play. Period.

Old
02-15-2013, 02:53 PM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
I agree that Nix has been candid with the media in the past. But his stated intention to draft a QB can change when/if a player like Smith becomes available or as the asking price is determined. Again, a fluid situation.

I'm not sure what you mean with the "mindset" thing. My point is that the Bills need to upgrade the QB position, but that doesn't mean they MUST draft one this year. I'd prefer to trade a mid-round pick for Smith, invest the top 2-3 picks in the defense/WR, and draft a "QB of the future" sometime in the next 2 years from a (presumably) better draft class. I'm just not impressed with this year's prospects and don't want them to settle by forced hand.

I also think you're overstating Smith's leverage. The guy wants to play. Period.
I disagree, but you might be right.

Consider this though:

Smith ran SF's vertical offense from 2007-2010 and sucked. He passed more than ran. Harbaugh installs a WCO with power running, and runs more than passes. Smith thrives.

Marrone wants to install the Saints passing offense.

It's a bad fit.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:05 PM
Takeo

Quote:
I disagree, but you might be right.

Consider this though:

Smith ran SF's vertical offense from 2007-2010 and sucked. He passed more than ran. Harbaugh installs a WCO with power running, and runs more than passes. Smith thrives.

Marrone wants to install the Saints passing offense.

It's a bad fit.
Marrone's offense is based on the west coast offense. I think Jackson was re-signed exactly because of his extensive experience in the wco.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:54 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

I wonder if this means that they are going to pass on a QB this year in the draft. Have Jackson/Fitz battle it out this year, and then maybe pick one the following year.

Old
02-15-2013, 04:09 PM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
Marrone's offense is based on the west coast offense. I think Jackson was re-signed exactly because of his extensive experience in the wco.
The offense they plan on running is a mix of WCO and a vertical Erhardt-Perkins passing game.

I think Jackson was resigned because they need two QBs that can get them through a season, while a rookie develops.

Old
02-15-2013, 04:10 PM
sabresfan129103

I'd have no problem with Alex Smith. I think he gives the team a better chance to win then Fitzpatrick and can be a good stopgap until the guy they draft (assuming they do this) is ready.

Old
02-15-2013, 04:11 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Money? Agree. Opportunity? Nix wants to draft a long term QB in the draft before he leaves.

Here's another angle:

Smith sucked in SF before Harbaugh came on board. Harbaugh installed a West Coast offense with a power run game. He called more runs than passes his last two years, with lots of multiple tight end sets.

Marrone wants to install the Saints offense, which combines WCO and downfield passing in the Erhardt-Perkins style. It's a passing offense.

Smith's never had success in a passing offense, not even in college. Square peg, round hole?
Then Marrone's an idiot because they don't have ANY personnel to be a passing offense.

Old
02-15-2013, 04:19 PM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Then Marrone's an idiot because they don't have ANY personnel to be a passing offense.
To run the Saints offense, you need:

- A possession receiver like Colston.
- A speed receiver like Devery Henderson.
- A multi-level receiving threat like Robert Meachem.
- A pass catching tight end that can threaten the seams.
- A versatile running back, like Bush or Sproles.
- A power runner, like Thomas or Ingram.
- A good OL that has guards that can anchor well.
- Most importantly, a QB that can run it all.

Buffalo has:

- Stevie Johnson as the possession receiver.
- Graham as the deep threat.
- Chandler as the TE.
- Spiller as the backfield threat.
- Jackson to run between the tackles.
- A good OL that was a strength last season.

Buffalo needs:

- A multi-level receiving threat (Bowe would be a nice fit).
- A QB to run a passing offense.

They aren't far off at all, though, arguably, if they don't have the QB, it all fails.

Old
02-15-2013, 04:39 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:

Buffalo has:

- Stevie Johnson as the possession receiver. - Fine.
- Graham as the deep threat. - Not a deep threat. Nobody's going to care that he's deep if he can't catch.
- Chandler as the TE. - I like Chandler, but he's hardly cut out as a prime receiver. He had half the catches and yards of Jimmy Graham last season.
- Spiller as the backfield threat. - Fine.
- Jackson to run between the tackles. - Jackson isn't going to last much longer, if he even does anything this upcoming season.
- A good OL that was a strength last season. - Good, but not great.

Buffalo needs:

They aren't far off at all, though, arguably, if they don't have the QB, it all fails.
Buffalo has a single good WR, an average TE, an exceptional RB, an average OL and no QB. They're not close to anything resembling a powerful passing offense. Installing the base WCO would be much easier.

Old
02-15-2013, 04:56 PM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Buffalo has a single good WR, an average TE, an exceptional RB, an average OL and no QB. They're not close to anything resembling a powerful passing offense. Installing the base WCO would be much easier.
Graham only needs to take coverage with him. And you're grading a guy who had one season with a QB that can't throw deep, in an offense that wasn't designed to go deep. Think we might want to see him next year under new coaching?

The Saints didn't need Graham to win the Super Bowl. Shockey wasn't elite anymore, but he served their purposes. Chandler's stats last year are comparable to Shockey's during their Super Bowl run.

Getting a between the tackles runner isn't a hard thing.

Buffalo's Glenn-Levitre-Wood-Urbik combo, if healthy and re-signed, can be a lot better than they are now. Hairston is probably a reserve, but Sanders could be a starter.

Old
02-15-2013, 05:40 PM
dma0034

vCash: 600
Quote:
Graham only needs to take coverage with him. And you're grading a guy who had one season with a QB that can't throw deep, in an offense that wasn't designed to go deep. Think we might want to see him next year under new coaching?

The Saints didn't need Graham to win the Super Bowl. Shockey wasn't elite anymore, but he served their purposes. Chandler's stats last year are comparable to Shockey's during their Super Bowl run.

Buffalo's Glenn-Levitre-Wood-Urbik combo, if healthy and re-signed, can be a lot better than they are now. Hairston is probably a reserve, but Sanders could be a starter.
Jimmy Graham is one of the top 3 TEs in the game. He is more of a possession receiver than TE..... Chandler is good but lacks the speed that would allow him to do this. Colston was the all purpose WR not Meacham. And the Saint's offensive is driven by Brees' unreal accuracy.... The Bills are more suited to run than pass and the O-Line is better suited against the run rather the pass (THE EXACT OPPOSITE OF N.O).

The Bills need a better deep threat than Graham, a good TE (could be available in the 2nd round), an accurate QB.

All are available via trade or draft (WR, TE in 1st 2 rounds and Alex Smith is accurate).... is that a route you'd like to take?

Old
02-15-2013, 06:01 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:

Not a fan of Pears?

Old
02-15-2013, 06:12 PM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Not a fan of Pears?
He seems to be fading a bit. The groin/hip thing was a lingering concern all year. My dark horse at #8 is Fisher, bumping Glenn to RT.

Old
02-15-2013, 06:26 PM
Layne Staley
The Future

No OL in the first 3 rounds please. Our OL is our biggest strength. We have a top 10 if not top 5 OL. I want a QB or LB in round 1 and the best available WR in round 2.

Old
02-15-2013, 06:28 PM
dotcommunism

Any talk about the Bills offensive line being good presupposes that Levitre re-signs which is far from a sure thing.

Old
02-15-2013, 06:52 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 666
Quote:

...but is Chandler even going to be healthy in time (or the same) coming off a late-December torn ACL?

Old
02-15-2013, 06:54 PM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
...but is Chandler even going to be healthy in time (or the same) coming off a late-December torn ACL?
Good point. Probably part of the reason Nic mentioned needing another TE.

Old
02-15-2013, 07:34 PM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotcommunism View Post
Any talk about the Bills offensive line being good presupposes that Levitre re-signs which is far from a sure thing.
Solid player but OG is low value. I'm fine with re-signing Rinehart or possibly trying Sanders inside. The bigger need is another bookend.

Old
02-17-2013, 11:41 AM
LGB24

she's rushing through this Canadian anthem. record time

Old
02-17-2013, 11:41 AM
LGB24

what the hell wrong thread, not even close

Old
02-17-2013, 10:25 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Alec Ogletree busted for a DUI...I know there have been mocks putting him at #8 to us.

Old
02-17-2013, 11:34 PM
Takeo

Quote:
Alec Ogletree busted for a DUI...I know there have been mocks putting him at #8 to us.
Just read that. It's possible that he bounces out of the top 15. Mingo, Ansah and Jordan still fit the mold of a hybrid pass rusher with decent value at #8. I've been looking into the WRs a bit. No matter how they test out, I wouldn't take Patterson/Allen at #8. For different reasons, I don't particarly like either of them. WR has much better value in round 2.

Old
02-18-2013, 03:20 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Don't think like a fan. Think like Alex Smith.

Arizona. Crappy QBs, bad OL. Good HC.
Buffalo. Crappy QBs. GM that's stated he's leaving after he drafts a franchise QB.
Kansas City. Crappy QBs. Great HC. Decent talent.
Jacksonville. Crappy QBs. Bad team. Unproven head coach.
NY Jets. Crappy QB. Pretty decent team. Good HC.

Rank order where you'd like to go.

KC, Jets, Buffalo, Arizona, Jacksonville.

Smith works for Buffalo. Buffalo isn't the best choice for Smith.
Jets are WORSE than the Bills. Rex a good HC? First i've heard of that.

Buffalo is the best team on this list, though that says not much

Old
02-18-2013, 03:20 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Is he related to the Cowboys WR?

Old
02-18-2013, 03:22 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:

Buffalo has:

- Stevie Johnson as the possession receiver.
- Graham as the deep threat.
- Chandler as the TE.
- Spiller as the backfield threat.
- Jackson to run between the tackles.
- A good OL that was a strength last season.

Buffalo needs:

Too bad they didn't get Meachem last year. Bowe will be franchise tagged. No sense in even thinking about him

Closed Thread